ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Coming to a beach near you in NJ and NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that
And while I generally favor building I favor it as long as that is within the zoning that existed when the property was purchased.

I am not a fan of zoning changes that are either to stop someone from building or allowing someone to build by circumventing the conditions that existed when they purchased the property
This is very dangerous for OC to consider and may have unintended consequences. You normally can't spot zone a specific piece of land. If they change the zoning, all similar land would have to be rezoned as well and opened up to the same building approvals.

Reactions: tom1944
Thought provoking proposal.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. The NJ shore doesn’t lack for free-market capitalists who change their tune when a project will be in their backyard.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Thought provoking proposal.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. The NJ shore doesn’t lack for free-market capitalists who change their tune when a project will be in their backyard.
I would be shocked if this comes to pass. People that live here including the town council don’t like change. We voted for BYOB a few years ago and it was rejected 2-1

Reactions: T2Kplus20
They might just be making that proposal, so they get approved for a smaller project and it looks like the town zoning board fought off the large project.

Bulldoze it.

New Jersey has, historically, done a shit job of caring for its barrier islands and back bay shores.

Sea Isle City bringing back the holding station...

Last edited:
Back to Whales. I just rec'd a notification of a dead whale 4,000' off Avenue L in Seaside Park.

Did someone say whales?

Brad Pitt GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

Reactions: Knight Shift
Back to Whales. I just rec'd a notification of a dead whale 4,000' off Avenue L in Seaside Park.
Part of the problem with whales is that they are fat and lazy. They could learn a lot from the seals. 😵

Last edited:
I believe the Royal Farms finally opened very close to that location, they are supposed to have great fried chicken, something I never eat. Have you been there?
True.

Heard about it on tMB. Wife tried it out (in Maryland?) when we visited our boys down in DC. She said it was very good.

I realize some may want this on the current events board but I'm pretty sure 90% of the people on this board go to the Jersey shore on a fairly regular basis and even use electricity in their homes, so felt it was important to get the word out so at the very least people are aware of how it will effect them. Phil Murphy has quietly auctioned off the entire coast of NJ to foreign wind farm companies and they have plans to build massive wind farms off the coast from Staten Island to Cape May. They will be visible on a clear day from the beach. For those of you thinking, oh great, its free electricity, think again. Everywhere these are used, the electricity bills skyrocket to 2x or 3x what people were paying. The first one being built is down here in South Jersey and when Ocean City attempted to fight back and say, you will not be running your cables through our beaches and our towns to the generator on land, Phil Murphy took away home rule across the entire state. It used to mean that towns had final say in what happens in their town, but now, that is no longer the case. The state decides what is best. Regardless of how you feel, its important to know the facts. Read the article linked below and look at the pictures where it shows the wind farms will be located. If you want more info there is a NJBPU virtual public hearing on the topic tonight at 7PM.

Here is a link to the article

ny-lease-area-high-bids-graphic___04112636224.jpg
If we don't address global warming the shore literally won't even be there. And this was not done quietly. Murphy has been touting it as a major success and part of his platform. Like it or him, or not, but don't make shit up.

• Haha
Reactions: newell138
I realize some may want this on the current events board but I'm pretty sure 90% of the people on this board go to the Jersey shore on a fairly regular basis and even use electricity in their homes, so felt it was important to get the word out so at the very least people are aware of how it will effect them. Phil Murphy has quietly auctioned off the entire coast of NJ to foreign wind farm companies and they have plans to build massive wind farms off the coast from Staten Island to Cape May. They will be visible on a clear day from the beach. For those of you thinking, oh great, its free electricity, think again. Everywhere these are used, the electricity bills skyrocket to 2x or 3x what people were paying. The first one being built is down here in South Jersey and when Ocean City attempted to fight back and say, you will not be running your cables through our beaches and our towns to the generator on land, Phil Murphy took away home rule across the entire state. It used to mean that towns had final say in what happens in their town, but now, that is no longer the case. The state decides what is best. Regardless of how you feel, its important to know the facts. Read the article linked below and look at the pictures where it shows the wind farms will be located. If you want more info there is a NJBPU virtual public hearing on the topic tonight at 7PM.

Here is a link to the article

ny-lease-area-high-bids-graphic___04112636224.jpg
I didn't read this thread because it will raise my blood pressure. But I assume the whales have come up. That the wind development is causing whale deaths is complete BS. Oil industry money and operatives are funding fake groups to opportunistically stir up nonsense. The actual environmental groups know that the greatest threat to the whales is climate change. Here is a good takedown on the issue from a credible voice. https://www.savecoastalwildlife.org...-blog/2023/2/21/stop-lying-about-whale-deaths

• Haha
I didn't read this thread because it will raise my blood pressure. But I assume the whales have come up. That the wind development is causing whale deaths is complete BS. Oil industry money and operatives are funding fake groups to opportunistically stir up nonsense. The actual environmental groups know that the greatest threat to the whales is climate change. Here is a good takedown on the issue from a credible voice. https://www.savecoastalwildlife.org...-blog/2023/2/21/stop-lying-about-whale-deaths
Whales come up? And how! Lots of 'em washing up on the beaches of the Jersey Shore!

Really? Clean Ocean Action and Cindy Zipf, who have been vocal on the topic are "oil industry operatives" and not an "actual environmental group." Perhaps your own bias is showing?

For the record, I'm open-minded on the issue. And to be fair, none of the dead whales which washed up on the beaches recently were found to be caused by issues associated with windmills. Many of them were injured by boats.

If we don't address global warming the shore literally won't even be there. And this was not done quietly. Murphy has been touting it as a major success and part of his platform. Like it or him, or not, but don't make shit up.
The shore will always be there. Just further back.

Whales come up? And how! Lots of 'em washing up on the beaches of the Jersey Shore!

Really? Clean Ocean Action and Cindy Zipf, who have been vocal on the topic are "oil industry operatives" and not an "actual environmental group." Perhaps your own bias is showing?

For the record, I'm open-minded on the issue. And to be fair, none of the dead whales which washed up on the beaches recently were found to be caused by issues associated with windmills. Many of them were injured by boats.

How do you know this hasn't been caused by the wind farms? Nobody has proved anything either way.

And why have so many whales suddenly getting hit by boats?

How do you know this hasn't been caused by the wind farms? Nobody has proved anything either way.

And why have so many whales suddenly getting hit by boats?
It might be that it is being reported more than it was reported in the past.

Has there been an unbiased analysis of either the cause or if there has been an actual increase.

• Wow
It might be that it is being reported more than it was reported in the past.

Has there been an unbiased analysis of either the cause or if there has been an actual increase.

That's my point, nobody has done an unbiased analysis to the cause so people saying its this or that are full of it.

There has definitely been an increase in deaths. It could be temporary but the last few months the numbers have been crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT