ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Could the snow drought end next weekend (1/7)? Maybe...

Birthday party postponed.
Already had 2 parents reach out with concerns about the weather and the party ending at 9:30pm.

Out of an abundance of caution, moving it 2 weeks.
These new age millennial parents are wimps.

Walter White Insult GIF by Breaking Bad
Same with travel hoops SUNDAY morning.

First flurries starting now in Hamilton. Expected to change to rain around 3 I saw

Started to stick to grass and car tops
Waffling back and forth from flurries, light sleet and light rain. Doubt Philadelphia will have any measurable snow. Only seems to be sticking on tree limbs and such. Cars are too wet.

Just got back after several hours outside...snow started here in Metuchen (we're at 34/30F) around 1:15 pm and it's been light and we have a nice dusting now. Looks like some heavier stuff coming. Sounds like a lot of sleet right now in the Philly and adjacent SNJ area, which means a warm nose aloft. Hopefully that takes several hours to work its way up here, but sometimes that WAA (warm air advection) aloft moves in quickly. We'll see...

Reactions: Knight Shift
Coming down at a pretty good clip here in Pway at 2:15. Roads and driveways have a light coating and largely white, sticking to grass but grass is still very visible.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Just got back from the store and rescuing some wood.

Getting a couple of flakes drifting, definitely not snowing but about to get there.

ShopRite was mobbed, ridiculous how people are freaking out about the first snowstorm of the season. I only went there to get a couple big hunks of salmon, one of which is going on the grill tomorrow night. (No @LETSGORU91, I'm not saving any for you unless you show up!) Unfortunately they were out last night when I swung by. Also got the fixin's for some Chex Mix, may make some hot and spicy later today.

Steady snow now here in Linden, just a few white spots in the parking lot and grass.

Snowing moderately now, with a solid 1/4" coating (noteworthy after last winter, lol) on almost all surfaces: driveway is covered but somewhat busy street in front of our house is patchily (if that's a word) covered. Still 34F. It is pretty...

Reactions: Goku
Moderate snow but still only sticking on cars and grass...no pavement

Down to 30 so that will change

Futurecast radar has changeover 530is imby

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Sleet line (the bright yellow line) looks like it's moving quickly towards Trenton...warm air advection aloft is often undermodeled...

gGvFfys.png

High end moderate snow sticking to pavement last half hour

Approaching half inch on grass but we lost some of that to melting the first 2 hours

The snow starting around 2 pm definitely hurt initial accumulations, as the indirect sunlight still has an effect even in early January; originally it looked like a post sunset start. Snowing close to heavily now, but the sleet looks like it's only 20 miles S of me and the rain is encroaching from the SE, so we may only have another hour or so for snow, which would probably mean 1" at most.

I think it's all rain around here now. And has picked up. Some sites have a quick repeat of snow but everything is wet now.
Philadelphia stations spent more time on the Tuesday Wednesday rain as it's a real concern for Flooding. We had 8 inches in the last few weeks of December

The snow starting around 2 pm definitely hurt initial accumulations, as the indirect sunlight still has an effect even in early January; originally it looked like a post sunset start. Snowing close to heavily now, but the sleet looks like it's only 20 miles S of me and the rain is encroaching from the SE, so we may only have another hour or so for snow, which would probably mean 1" at most.
That's the biggest change from a week ago. It considered as a night event and ended up starting before noon here but they have been calling that for a few days now
Also the strong east wind wasn't a factor over a week ago.

Reactions: thegock
Just came in from chopping wood, been coming down lightly for the past half hour or so.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT