ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Eternal Lawn Care Thread

You are the 2nd person I have heard mention Hogan. I have a mixed lawn due to crazy sun and shade areas (TF, KBG and a bit of rye) and I had a large bag of Jonathon Green so I used that last week in overseeding. But I think I want to try a higher quality seed next year. Have you used Hogan personally?
I’ve used United Seeds Inc out of Omaha Nebraska for years. For us living in the transition zone, they offer more selections of quality tall fescue than Hogan. They also offer a blend of tall fescue with a small percentage of bluegrass which has been a trend lately. Experts never used to recommend seeding tall fescue with bluegrass but now that seems to be changing.

They also offer 4th Millenium Tall Fescue which is very highly rated by Rutgers and Purdue. I don’t believe Hogan offers this.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
I just finished my over-seeding this week. I am in Massachusetts, so a bit cooler than most folks here. I was kicking myself for not doing it the previous week -- although, we had some very hot days, with highs reaching the mid-80s and not getting below 70 at all. I figured it wouldn't hurt that much. By the time I started over-seeding temps got back down to 70 and have been in the mid-60s ever since. Although, some of the nights have been cold (as low as the upper 40s). I'm concerned that that may be too cold. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I don't have sprinklers and it's been a tough fall to plant grass. I usually do it late aug/early sep. Waited this year till about two weeks ago and its starting to come up but it's been pretty dry. Saved half the seed. Putting the rest down today with the rain coming this weekend. Ground is still very dry by me.

You are the 2nd person I have heard mention Hogan. I have a mixed lawn due to crazy sun and shade areas (TF, KBG and a bit of rye) and I had a large bag of Jonathon Green so I used that last week in overseeding. But I think I want to try a higher quality seed next year. Have you used Hogan personally?
He's the third person. I have used it personally with fabulous results in sun and shade. I just had some tree work done in the yard, and the tree guy warned me the lawn would be a little beat up. He asked me if it was sod. It's that good.

Just got my soil samples back. Holy bajeezus, was my ph all out of whack in the back two pastures. No seeding this year. It's going to take over 3,000 lbs. of High Cal. Lime and 500 lbs. of 18-24-12 starter fertilizer to correct everything. I won't have animals on those till next June.

I’ve used United Seeds Inc out of Omaha Nebraska for years. For us living in the transition zone, they offer more selections of quality tall fescue than Hogan. They also offer a blend of tall fescue with a small percentage of bluegrass which has been a trend lately. Experts never used to recommend seeding tall fescue with bluegrass but now that seems to be changing.

They also offer 4th Millenium Tall Fescue which is very highly rated by Rutgers and Purdue. I don’t believe Hogan offers this.

When we moved into our current house about a decade ago, we used the same landscape company the previous owner. First couple of years, I just used him to overseed with a fescue blend and it looked good. But the guy sold the company to his son, who just did a terrible job (bad cut jobs, etc). So I switched. The current landscaper a few years ago used a TF/KBG/Rye blend (I think it was Lesco) and the lawn looked even better the following spring/summer. So I just stuck with overseeding with a mix. Last few years I have done the overseeding myself just to make myself feel better about doing something around the house. LOL.

But every few years, I have the lawn aerated and in those years, I just get the landscaper to then overseed since he's already on site doing the lawn. I'll probably overseed myself in the fall next year and am curious about some better quality seed mixes.

Reactions: RUDead
When we moved into our current house about a decade ago, we used the same landscape company the previous owner. First couple of years, I just used him to overseed with a fescue blend and it looked good. But the guy sold the company to his son, who just did a terrible job (bad cut jobs, etc). So I switched. The current landscaper a few years ago used a TF/KBG/Rye blend (I think it was Lesco) and the lawn looked even better the following spring/summer. So I just stuck with overseeding with a mix. Last few years I have done the overseeding myself just to make myself feel better about doing something around the house. LOL.

But every few years, I have the lawn aerated and in those years, I just get the landscaper to then overseed since he's already on site doing the lawn. I'll probably overseed myself in the fall next year and am curious about some better quality seed mixes.
Give them a call, tell them where you live, and they will give you good stuff. They are good people who know grass.

I have not personally used Hogan seed but I know a number of very knowledgeable lawn folks who have and they rave about Hogan Seed and their expertise/service. I have used Super Seed Store, United Seed, and Pawnee Buttes Seed Co. Much cool season turf grass is grown in the Pacific Northwest and distributed from there to suppliers throughout the Country. To me, the most important factor is buying “Certified Gold Tag” seed, which has “Zero Weed Seed” and “Zero Other Crop” seed. Here is a good article on grass seed (not specific brands, rather, what to look for)

Another

Last edited:
I just finished my over-seeding this week. I am in Massachusetts, so a bit cooler than most folks here. I was kicking myself for not doing it the previous week -- although, we had some very hot days, with highs reaching the mid-80s and not getting below 70 at all. I figured it wouldn't hurt that much. By the time I started over-seeding temps got back down to 70 and have been in the mid-60s ever since. Although, some of the nights have been cold (as low as the upper 40s). I'm concerned that that may be too cold. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

The key is getting it established enough before the cold. Of course, that varies with grass type and the vagaries of weather. Here is a useful table. Personally here in Central NJ I like to seed late August or early September.

The “best”mix for you will depend on your goals, Sun exposure, climate, etc. I’d personally go with a mix from a source like Super Seed Store, United, Pawnee Buttes, Hogan, etc. That is, I’d be inclined to order it online rather than buy it at a big box store. By the way, once you have a “mix” (e.g., Northern mix of Kentucky Blue Grass, Perennial Rye, Fescue) it’s hard to overseed to get a mono culture ((I.e., single type such as KBG).

Reactions: Knight Shift
The “best”mix for you will depend on your goals, Sun exposure, climate, etc. I’d personally go with a mix from a source like Super Seed Store, United, Pawnee Buttes, Hogan, etc. That is, I’d be inclined to order it online rather than buy it at a big box store. By the way, once you have a “mix” (e.g., Northern mix of Kentucky Blue Grass, Perennial Rye, Fescue) it’s hard to overseed to get a mono culture ((I.e., single type such as KBG).

The landscaper who overseeded with the mix did so because of our property. We have a lot of grass areas and they run the full gamut from basically baking in the sun all day to spots where it’s mostly shade.

Icant quibble with the results as the lawn looks great for much of the spring and summer until the August heat here in SJ just starts to fry it a bit (even with our irrigation system, which admittedly, needs tweaking as it was installed years ago but the previous owner redid the landscaping layout).

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Scalping my grass and will overseed with some machine from a rental place tomorrow. Hoping to get my Delaware mix at least an inch in the ground. They are saying 2-3 inches but with the seed that deep I don't expect there to be issues. After i'm done overseeding i can apply Lasco starter fertilizer correct? Or should I wait to apply starter fertilizer after all the rain is gone?

Scalping my grass and will overseed with some machine from a rental place tomorrow. Hoping to get my Delaware mix at least an inch in the ground. They are saying 2-3 inches but with the seed that deep I don't expect there to be issues. After i'm done overseeding i can apply Lasco starter fertilizer correct? Or should I wait to apply starter fertilizer after all the rain is gone?
I personally don’t think you need seed 1” down, 1/4” is fine. You can put starter fert down at seed or a bit after. Goof call on the rain, I’d wait on it until after the rain since if we do get 2”-3” it can wash both fertilizer and seed away. Good luck!

Reactions: miket007
I personally don’t think you need seed 1” down, 1/4” is fine. You can put starter fert down at seed or a bit after. Goof call on the rain, I’d wait on it until after the rain since if we do get 2”-3” it can wash both fertilizer and seed away. Good luck!
I usually don't even seed 1/4" down. I throw it down ride over it with the lawn tractor, and Hogan seed is like Jack's Magic Beanstalk seeds--I have a lush lawn in a day! 🤣 Seriously, though- that is my technique, and probably wind up getting "enough" seed to germinate. One thing I have found is that more is not better, and I now go lighter on the seed application, whether I am throwing it by hand or using the spreader. I used to OVER seed when overseeding, which is a waste.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
I usually don't even seed 1/4" down. I throw it down ride over it with the lawn tractor, and Hogan seed is like Jack's Magic Beanstalk seeds--I have a lush lawn in a day! 🤣 Seriously, though- that is my technique, and probably wind up getting "enough" seed to germinate. One thing I have found is that more is not better, and I now go lighter on the seed application, whether I am throwing it by hand or using the spreader. I used to OVER seed when overseeding, which is a waste.
Great points! I just top dress usually about 1/8” to 1/4”. You’re right not to over seed. It’s not only a waste, it can create an environment conducive to fungus once the grass is established.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Great points! I just top dress usually about 1/8” to 1/4”. You’re right not to over seed. It’s not only a waste, it can create an environment conducive to fungus once the grass is established.
Yes, last summer with overseeding in the prior fall and the heavy rain, I had a bad case of fungus amongus. My lawn recovers nicely when there are 2-3' round dead patches from fungus, drought, etc, and I don't even need to overseed. I just finished overseeing and area where we had some tree work done and the machinery did me the favor of tearing up all the brown patches from the lake of rain and sprinklers not keeping up. Did a quick scratch up with my pull behind cheapo tine thing from Lowes, ran the overseeder at 12-13 and ran it over with the lawn tractor. Have to admit, it does not "feel" like enough seed has been dropped but that is the setting for my drop spreader, and I learned from past experience the downsides of overseeding.

The key is getting it established enough before the cold. Of course, that varies with grass type and the vagaries of weather. Here is a useful table. Personally here in Central NJ I like to seed late August or early September.

Quick question on the "when" to overseed. You mention that you do it in late August/early September but, according to the attachment you included, doesn't the seed need temps to be between 55-70 degrees for it to root and grow? Wouldn't it be too warm in late August?

For me, aside from the crazy crab grass overrun I experienced this Summer, I had lots of growth at that time and can't imagine that new seed would've been able to compete to get any sunlight, water, etc. if I had overseeded in late August, etc. However, now that it's decisively cooler, I'm concerned that not enough will take. So, I'm making myself a note in the calendar to start earlier next year.

Also, if I want to try and do a little overseeding early/mid-Spring next year, how long after I put down crab grass preventer / fertilizer can I seed? Four to six weeks? Again, I'm imagining my late start is going to leave me with big, patchy sections.

I held off and didn't do anything over the fear of massive rain. News is saying 2 inches i was worried seed would wash away. I'm not worrying about overseeding hell 60% over my yard is crap so i need an overhaul. Thanks for the tips as i'll be doing this project within the next 2 weeks.

Quick question on the "when" to overseed. You mention that you do it in late August/early September but, according to the attachment you included, doesn't the seed need temps to be between 55-70 degrees for it to root and grow? Wouldn't it be too warm in late August?

For me, aside from the crazy crab grass overrun I experienced this Summer, I had lots of growth at that time and can't imagine that new seed would've been able to compete to get any sunlight, water, etc. if I had overseeded in late August, etc. However, now that it's decisively cooler, I'm concerned that not enough will take. So, I'm making myself a note in the calendar to start earlier next year.

Also, if I want to try and do a little overseeding early/mid-Spring next year, how long after I put down crab grass preventer / fertilizer can I seed? Four to six weeks? Again, I'm imagining my late start is going to leave me with big, patchy sections.
Depending on the specific pre-emergent and rate of application, you should wait 3-4 months after applying to reseed. Always remember to read the specific product label. An exception is Mesotrione (the active ingredient in Starter Fert that also provides weed prevention) which lets you seed about 30 days after application. Note that it only gives you about 30 days of weed control so you can reapply after 30 days to extend coverage another. Month or so.

The soil temp chart is referencing soil temps at 4” deep and by late august as the nights get cooler and days get shorter, soil temps around here are generally in range late august and early October.

Yeah. One woman did it.

Quite an interesting story about her. Very nice to see people take a lot of negative energy and turn it into something positive. The world and especially this country could use more people like her right now. Focus on the positive and things that make others feel better about themselves. If you watch the video, it is very moving. She is a beautiful person. She said in the video, the woods is like my church--preach on sister!

https://www.app.com/picture-gallery...urs-discovered-deep-woods-allaire/4964509002/

https://amp.app.com/videos/news/local/people/2020/03/12/dinosaurs-allaire-state-park/4967992002/

It is somewhat difficult to locate. You can get there from the campgrounds. For me, I follow the mountain bike trail that is parallel to the Garden State Parkway, and I run right into it. They are quite awesome, and it can get pretty crowded.
Don't want to derail this thread, but did not want to start a new one. @koleszar and @Jm0513 may be interested.

The dinosaurs were vandalized and destroyed over the weekend.

Some people in this world are just pure evil and there is no explanation for their behavior. One of the happiest parts of my mountain bike rides in Allaire is flying up the steep ravine as I exit the pit near the Parkway to come upon the dinosaurs. I have seen countless families with young children enjoying the dinosaurs, and I have provided many families directions to the spot.

A group of mountain bikers has offered to work with the artist to rebuild them, but the woman has declined. She is probably heartbroken. My rides will not be the same. Good will conquer evil.

https://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/dinosaur-art-destroyed.54846/#post-1160867

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: Jm0513 and koleszar
I didn't overseed this year, and man, does it need it. My neighbor borrowed my electric dethatcher and broke it. He's a handy guy & promised to fix it. That was a month ago. Lesson learned. I need a new mower too. Going to be an expensive offseason.

• Wow
Reactions: Postman_1
I didn't overseed this year, and man, does it need it. My neighbor borrowed my electric dethatcher and broke it. He's a handy guy & promised to fix it. That was a month ago. Lesson learned. I need a new mower too. Going to be an expensive offseason.
Where do you live? I have an old corded dethatcher I don't need anymore.

Oof, how did he break it? I have the SunJoe one. I know if you use an extension cord smaller then 12 guage it can put to much stress on the motor I believe. The go on sale all the time, you can probably get a good deal with the holidays coming. I picked up a new mower in February or March. Went for the 30" Timemaster. So far I am loving it. The price of that mower has gone up $200 since I purchased it

Oof, how did he break it? I have the SunJoe one. I know if you use an extension cord smaller then 12 guage it can put to much stress on the motor I believe. The go on sale all the time, you can probably get a good deal with the holidays coming. I picked up a new mower in February or March. Went for the 30" Timemaster. So far I am loving it. The price of that mower has gone up $200 since I purchased it
It probably is not related, but when I detatched, the following Spring was when I had the most weeds I ever had. Not sure dethatching is worth the trouble?

I had the Greenworks version of the SunJoe. Allegedly the safety switch that allows the bail to start up the motor broke. I still haven't seen it. My mower is a 20 year old MTD clone that starts hard & sounds like the piston rings are about to crumble. I'd love to get my hands on a 22 inch rear wheel drive Toro Super Recycler in all black.

Reactions: Postman_1
It probably is not related, but when I detatched, the following Spring was when I had the most weeds I ever had. Not sure dethatching is worth the trouble?
It is my understanding that after dethatching you disrupt the so called barrier that would prevent weeds from growing if you used a pre emergent prior. So yes dethatching can cause many weeds to pop up.

Don't want to derail this thread, but did not want to start a new one. @koleszar and @Jm0513 may be interested.

The dinosaurs were vandalized and destroyed over the weekend.

Some people in this world are just pure evil and there is no explanation for their behavior. One of the happiest parts of my mountain bike rides in Allaire is flying up the steep ravine as I exit the it near the Parkway to come upon the dinosaurs. I have seen countless families with young children enjoying the dinosaurs, and I have provided many families directions to the spot.

A group of mountain bikers has offered to work with the artist to rebuild them, but the woman has declined. She is probably heartbroken. My rides will not be the same. Good will conquer evil.

https://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/dinosaur-art-destroyed.54846/#post-1160867
That is just awful. I’m sorry to hear this. It takes a heartless person to destroy what another human took so much time and joy in creating.
Karma will come for those as*holes.

Depending on the specific pre-emergent and rate of application, you should wait 3-4 months after applying to reseed. Always remember to read the specific product label. An exception is Mesotrione (the active ingredient in Starter Fert that also provides weed prevention) which lets you seed about 30 days after application. Note that it only gives you about 30 days of weed control so you can reapply after 30 days to extend coverage another. Month or so.

The soil temp chart is referencing soil temps at 4” deep and by late august as the nights get cooler and days get shorter, soil temps around here are generally in range late august and early October.

@phs73rc77gsm83 - Just want to let you know (and the few other folks that also chimed-in during this discussion), it's been almost 2 weeks since I seeded the lawn and I think I've gotten just about as good a result as I could ask for given the soil temperature/conditions, etc. The new seed, where sprouted, has grown to an average of 1.5". It's not all the way to that magical 2-2.5" that I probably would've gotten if I seeded a few weeks earlier but it's something. If it grows another .5" by the weekend, I might mow it.

Although by no means a scientific analysis or anything, I'd say only about 25% of the seed had sprouted. I'm sure some parts were seeded a bit too much and, in other areas, the (dead) crab grass and weeds along with a not-so-ideal aeration job prevented more from sprouting.

But, I've already left myself a note for next year to start my over-seeding around earlier (Labor Day weekend or so). Thanks again for your help and advice!

@phs73rc77gsm83 - Just want to let you know (and the few other folks that also chimed-in during this discussion), it's been almost 2 weeks since I seeded the lawn and I think I've gotten just about as good a result as I could ask for given the soil temperature/conditions, etc. The new seed, where sprouted, has grown to an average of 1.5". It's not all the way to that magical 2-2.5" that I probably would've gotten if I seeded a few weeks earlier but it's something. If it grows another .5" by the weekend, I might mow it.

Although by no means a scientific analysis or anything, I'd say only about 25% of the seed had sprouted. I'm sure some parts were seeded a bit too much and, in other areas, the (dead) crab grass and weeds along with a not-so-ideal aeration job prevented more from sprouting.

But, I've already left myself a note for next year to start my over-seeding around earlier (Labor Day weekend or so). Thanks again for your help and advice!

Good for you! I did some overseeding late too (was out of town earlier in September and one part I needed to reseed doesn’t have sprinklers so I had to wait). Coming in very well. This is prime growing and recovery time for our area.

What really helps this time of year is even if you don't get rain, you start getting the morning dews. That dew is enough to get the seed moist and allows it to germinate. Then once it starts growing it gets even more. Without the hot temps that moisture doesn't evaporate for hours. Our pastures always tend to green up this time of year.

I booked my appointment to rent an aeration/overseeder machine from Ironn Source on Nov 3 down here in central Delaware. I don't believe it will be to cold for the seed to germinate hell we were still getting 80 degree weather in late September fellas.

Start hitting the lawn & gardening stores along with home depot/lowes in March-april and get a refurb at a great price plus you can slap a warranty on it which is what I did for my john deere e-120 that had 0.2 hours on it. Added a 5 year warranty and it cost $1500

I booked my appointment to rent an aeration/overseeder machine from Ironn Source on Nov 3 down here in central Delaware. I don't believe it will be to cold for the seed to germinate hell we were still getting 80 degree weather in late September fellas.

Start hitting the lawn & gardening stores along with home depot/lowes in March-april and get a refurb at a great price plus you can slap a warranty on it which is what I did for my john deere e-120 that had 0.2 hours on it. Added a 5 year warranty and it cost $1500
I think you’ll get some germination, the question is will be if it can get established enough before it goes dormant from the cold. What kind of seed? Turf Type Tall Fescue and Perennial Rye germinate quicker than Kentucky Blue Grass (but personally I like KBG). You could wait until January or February and dormant seed, but I admit I haven’t seeded in November so you may be fine (hope so!!!!!). In any case, good luck! If you don’t get enough germination and establishment you can reseed later. Fingers crossed for you! It’s always a bit of a guessing game.

I think you’ll get some germination, the question is will be if it can get established enough before it goes dormant from the cold. What kind of seed? Turf Type Tall Fescue and Perennial Rye germinate quicker than Kentucky Blue Grass (but personally I like KBG). You could wait until January or February and dormant seed, but I admit I haven’t seeded in November so you may be fine (hope so!!!!!). In any case, good luck! If you don’t get enough germination and establishment you can reseed later. Fingers crossed for you! It’s always a bit of a guessing game.
Several older men in ct/del have told me for years they prefer to overseed in the winter. I don't think it will be to cold in November as they're predicting a mild winter for us. Delaware mix for my seed.

@phs73rc77gsm83 - Just want to let you know (and the few other folks that also chimed-in during this discussion), it's been almost 2 weeks since I seeded the lawn and I think I've gotten just about as good a result as I could ask for given the soil temperature/conditions, etc.
I forgot to add, I think you seeded at the perfect time. Last week of September maybe even a week earlier some years (not this year still way too hot) is when I had best results as well. Plenty of time for it to get established before it goes dormant. In Spring, I like to seed 3rd to 4th week of March depending on how temps are trending.

I forgot to add, I think you seeded at the perfect time. Last week of September maybe even a week earlier some years (not this year still way too hot) is when I had best results as well. Plenty of time for it to get established before it goes dormant. In Spring, I like to seed 3rd to 4th week of March depending on how temps are trending.
How can you seed in March with pre-emergent going down shortly after that?

How can you seed in March with pre-emergent going down shortly after that?
I'm doing more of pastures than lawns. For me as long as it's green, I'm happy. 😁 That timeframe is when I get the best growths. Late March and late September, plenty of rain and not so hot, so it stays moist longer. I can't do irrigation over that many acres. So, for you, you can do later because you can irrigate.

How is everyone's lawns looking?

The fall saw a huge improvement for me. Everything I seeded in late Sep is doing really well and lawn is still green.

Still a long way to go but this fall was very productive for me.
Long line (25'L x 3-4'W) along my side gardens in the back came in great...thick and green.

Same seed, same watering schedule for a small spot in the front...not so good. 🤷‍♂️

Used this:

The fall saw a huge improvement for me. Everything I seeded in late Sep is doing really well and lawn is still green.

Scarred up areas from summer heat/drought have filled in nicely.

Reactions: RUDead

Long damn fall! Tried my hardest to overseed in September but all businesses were booked up with there eqipment and Home Depots 2 machines were out of commision. I was able to get a machine on Nov 4th and that shit kicked my ass lol never again I will pay to have someone do this every fall. After overseeding I put down starter fertilizer then began to saturate my yard and 7-8 days later the seeds sprouted which i'm really pleased about. I didn't have time to get up the dying crabgrass so i just went over all of it with the overseeder. I'm seeing little speckles in these areas but hopefully this spring the grass will really take over. Grass is a little higher then i normally keep it during the winter, i'm going to put some lyme down in January and can't wait for the spring to put some of these liquid fertilizers you fellas have been speaking of over the years...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT