ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Eternal Lawn Care Thread

I would put it down first week of April, but you might not get germination right away unless it warms up. Next few weeks look pretty cool. Or put half down in early April and the rest late April.

Unfortunately the weather forecast doesn't seem to be favorable for you.
I probably missed it but what type of seed are you putting down? Takes bluegrass about 3 weeks to germinate vs tall fescue which is about half of that. Depends a lot on temps and moisture also.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
My grass was devastated by drought last summer ( 2022 ) .......... I plan to aerate my lawn soon and immediately spread seed accross the aerated lawn ...... when is the earliest date that I can do this ? I live in Northern New Jersey - Morris County ......... I want to put the seed down and hope it will germinate shortly thereafter ...... my daughter is getting married May 20th and I want my grass to be looking as good as possible by this date - I need to get the grass growing and healthy by this date .......... when do you think it would be prudent to aerate and seed ( same day ) ?

I agree early April to seed. Also agree Fall is better to seed but you can do Spring. You might put down Starter Fertilizer with Mesotrione ( can get it at Home Depot or Lowe’s) and prevent crab grass. Keep it moist once germination starts. Good luck.

Reactions: Postman_1
Thanks for your reply ....... i'm still thinking I am going to do this either way as it needs to be done ....maybe it won't be fully established or looking best by May 20th but at least it will be "in progress" .... what do you think is the earliest date when I can put grass seed down and expect it will germinate ? Probably has something to do with soil temperature but can you just throw out a "guess" ?
Here are some germination times for cool season grasses. Ryegrass or a fescue will probably get you the quickest results. While the fall is a better time to seed it can be done in the spring. Keeping it moist it key like others stated. When I overseed I ran the sprinklers 3 times a day for about 10 -15 minutes depending on the weather. I dont have an irrigation system so I purchased some Melnor timers from Amazon and they worked fine for me.

List of Germination Rates for Seeds​

The following grass seed germination rates are within a range based on ideal conditions.

• Annual ryegrass: 5 to 10 days
  • Bahia grass: 14 to 28 days
  • Bermuda grass: 10 to 30 days
  • Buffalo grass: 14 to 30 days
  • Centipede grass: 14 to 21 days
  • Hard fescue: 7 to 14 days
  • Kentucky bluegrass: 14 to 30 days
  • Perennial ryegrass: 5 to 10 days
  • Red fescue: 7 to 14 days
  • Seashore paspalum: 7 to 14 days
  • Tall fescue: 7 to 12 days
  • Zoysia grass: 14 to 21 days

I would apply the seed at a heavier rate than normal. Germination in the spring is typically not as good as the fall seeding window.
When I first started this ranching adventure, I thought it was strange that fall pasture seeding was more productive. But a decade into this endeavor, I get so much more coverage and growth from the seed. Mid late September is the perfect time for 7a-7b.

When I first started this ranching adventure, I thought it was strange that fall pasture seeding was more productive. But a decade into this endeavor, I get so much more coverage and growth from the seed. Mid late September is the perfect time for 7a-7b.
Question for you or anyone else on the board.
Where's your go to place for engine service on tractors and equipment?
I have a 1993 John Deere Lawn Tractor with a Kawasaki Engine. I dropped this off the third week of December, because it had an oil leak. I was told by a "reputable" shop in Point Pleasant that it was a crankcase gasket. Have called twice since, and they said they are waiting on the part. I have checked and found 3 places online that will provide a Kawasaki OEM part no later than Friday. Think I need to pay them a visit and figure out WTF is up. I see Barg's Lawn and Garden Shop on Route 33 in Freehold has good ratings?

I have a 1993 John Deere Lawn Tractor with a Kawasaki Engine. I dropped this off the third week of December, because it had an oil leak. I was told by a "reputable" shop in Point Pleasant that it was a crankcase gasket. Have called twice since, and they said they are waiting on the part. I have checked and found 3 places online that will provide a Kawasaki OEM part no later than Friday. Think I need to pay them a visit and figure out WTF is up. I see Barg's Lawn and Garden Shop on Route 33 in Freehold has good ratings?
Barg's is my go to place for small engine repair. I bring all my chainsaws and stuff like that there. I don't think he's the cheapest around, but I really don't have time to get estimates on repairs on these items. I just need them fixed and quick.

Reactions: Knight Shift

I am not that close to Barg's, but a friend of mine lives in Freehold and uses them. He says he has never had any issues.

I am not that close to Barg's, but a friend of mine lives in Freehold and uses them. He says he has never had any issues.
I got to the bottom of it after a visit to my shop yesterday. Apparently, they have the crankcase gasket. There is a second part that is not easy to find. They had one shipped to the shop and UPS lost it. They said another one was due any day. Updates like this would have been nice when I called, but it looks like it was a combination of issues that were not necessarily their fault, at least as they explained it. I will keep Barg's in mind for the future

Inflation priced me out of the Toro Super Recycler mower I had my eyes on. Last year it was $699. This year is $799. 😤

Inflation priced me out of the Toro Super Recycler mower I had my eyes on. Last year it was $699. This year is $799. 😤
Yeah this inflation sucks. The Toro Timemaster is now up to $1599. Two years ago it was $1099 or $999 I believe. I got mine last year for I think $1299. Next year that Recycler will probably be $899+. Last year by this time I already applied my first app of Prodiamine as soil temps were over 55 for a few days. This year the soil temp hasn't hit that mark. I will still probably apply it soon though just to be safe. Better early then late.

Yeah this inflation sucks. The Toro Timemaster is now up to $1599. Two years ago it was $1099 or $999 I believe. I got mine last year for I think $1299. Next year that Recycler will probably be $899+. Last year by this time I already applied my first app of Prodiamine as soil temps were over 55 for a few days. This year the soil temp hasn't hit that mark. I will still probably apply it soon though just to be safe. Better early then late.
I have an older Honda mower (don't have the model handy). I never tried the Toro Timemaster or Recycler. I have a couple of Toro mowers too, and maybe they are cheaper ones and not a fair comparison, but IMO, the Honda cuts much better, mulches well, and has had far fewer engine issues than the Toros.

When I went to look up Honda mowers, however, I found this:

Reactions: koleszar
I have an older Honda mower (don't have the model handy). I never tried the Toro Timemaster or Recycler. I have a couple of Toro mowers too, and maybe they are cheaper ones and not a fair comparison, but IMO, the Honda cuts much better, mulches well, and has had far fewer engine issues than the Toros.

You can’t go wrong with a Honda IMO. They are a little pricey but will last a long long time. Sucks they are gonna stop making gas powered in 2023 according to that article. If Honda made a 30” push mower I probably would’ve went with them.

Any advice on the best place to buy good seed (retail) and best brand of grass seed (I have dense shade, partial sun and full sun) in the Bridgewater/Piscataway/Central Jersey area this year?

Thanks in advance

Later in the week, the weather going to warm a bit and we got a long period of rainy conditions. Going to plant some grass this week.

Reactions: BigRnj
Any advice on the best place to buy good seed (retail) and best brand of grass seed (I have dense shade, partial sun and full sun) in the Bridgewater/Piscataway/Central Jersey area this year?

Thanks in advance

I buy seed online and purchase certified sod quality seed. Earlier in this thread there were many posts on where people get seed and what they like. You can order online from Preferred Seed, United Seed, The Hogan Company, Super Seed Store, and others. It’s generally a bit more expensive for high quality seed but you want to make sure the seed contains no (or very little) “other crop,” weed seed,” or “noxious weed” seed. If you do buy locally, be sure to check the label and understand how to interpret it. (See below). My personal favorite seeds are Bewitched and Skye sod quality, gold label. Both did very well at the Rutgers NTEP tests. Both are Bluegrass and both do well in the sun and shade. Again, not cheap so it depends on what you’re looking for and budget.

Reactions: BigRnj

My Honda push mower is 10+ years old. I don't do sh*t to it except put STA-BIL in it every winter and a little oil when needed. It still starts up within 3 pulls. For small motors nothing beats a Honda and that's really what you're paying for.

My Honda push mower is 10+ years old. I don't do sh*t to it except put STA-BIL in it every winter and a little oil when needed. It still starts up within 3 pulls. For small motors nothing beats a Honda and that's really what you're paying for.
We have their portable generators with a spotlight on our fire department. Reliable and purr quieter than a kitten when running. Great engines.

Nice. In 11 more years it will have caught up to my current MTD mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine ;)

Applied Prodiamine today from my sprayer. I wanted to do it on Wednesday but couldn't find my proper Teejet spray tip. Had to order one from Amazon. Need some rain tonight/tomorrow to water it in. My lawn is in the in-between state right now. Some is starting to grow and some is still dormant.

Applied Prodiamine today from my sprayer. I wanted to do it on Wednesday but couldn't find my proper Teejet spray tip. Had to order one from Amazon. Need some rain tonight/tomorrow to water it in. My lawn is in the in-between state right now. Some is starting to grow and some is still dormant.
I put down a mixture of Prodiamine and 2,4-D on March 8th. We sprayed too much because some of my grass is yellow(burned) and i'm pissed. I still have some grass that is dormant and hopefully this rain we've been getting down here will help....

I put down a mixture of Prodiamine and 2,4-D on March 8th. We sprayed too much because some of my grass is yellow(burned) and i'm pissed. I still have some grass that is dormant and hopefully this rain we've been getting down here will help....
It’ll come back in a month or two. I’m always very careful to measure precisely and calibrate my sprayer on pavement with water until I get a good understanding of coverage.

It’ll come back in a month or two. I’m always very careful to measure precisely and calibrate my sprayer on pavement with water until I get a good understanding of coverage.
I'm going to feed it with Scotts lawn food in April when all my grass isn't dormant, thankfully it's not as big as i thought it was. Disappointed with the results from the 2,4-D with purple deadnettle but it did bring dandelions up and hopefully they die in a matter of days or i'll put down a weed granuler when the 2,4-D won't affect it.

Anyone familiar with this or Echo products? I was thinking of replacing my Husqvarna weed trimmer with this. My Husqvarna has about 9 seasons of use on it. Last year it started acting up and not starting/running that good. I replaced the carb and it ran a little better. I like the idea of multi attachments with this. It's like getting two pieces of equipment for one. My current edger is a old school 3 wheel type. It is a Sears model that still runs as of last season.

LOL
8838lnb0wdra1.jpg

Anyone familiar with this or Echo products? I was thinking of replacing my Husqvarna weed trimmer with this. My Husqvarna has about 9 seasons of use on it. Last year it started acting up and not starting/running that good. I replaced the carb and it ran a little better. I like the idea of multi attachments with this. It's like getting two pieces of equipment for one. My current edger is a old school 3 wheel type. It is a Sears model that still runs as of last season.

Why not go electric? No longer sold in Home Depot, but we love the EGO brand. You can get a pole saw, an extension pole, an edger (don't have), a string trimmer, a bristle brush (don't have), a hedge trimmer and a cultivator attachment (don't have).

21v1skfQSzL._AC_.jpg

Battery power is enough to get most jobs done. We have 3 or 4 batteries and 2 chargers, and we have never run out of battery power when trimming trees, bushes, etc. Great product. The only gas powered non-mower tool we have kept is our Husquarvna leaf blower/vacuum, and it requires a lot of maintenance and changing the carb parts to keep in running well, and that is with using the TrueFuel and other synthetic gas/oil mixes to avoid the issues associated with ethanol-containing gas sold at gas stations.

Just checked, and you can get the trimmer and edger as a package with the batter for $449 at Lowes. More expensive than the Echo model you linked, but we prefer the battery power and not having to run to get cans of gas/oil.

Last edited:
Bought my superrecycler for
$440 in 2004! With the aluminum deck I expect to keep it at least as a backup. Great mower.
My toro timecutter with MyRide is amazing. A few years after getting it I still look forward to mowing with it.

Reactions: Postman_1
just get rid of the lawn. Plant natives/food and enjoy the wildlife. haha

Why not go electric? No longer sold in Home Depot, but we love the EGO brand. You can get a pole saw, an extension pole, an edger (don't have), a string trimmer, a bristle brush (don't have), a hedge trimmer and a cultivator attachment (don't have).

21v1skfQSzL._AC_.jpg

Battery power is enough to get most jobs done. We have 3 or 4 batteries and 2 chargers, and we have never run out of battery power when trimming trees, bushes, etc. Great product. The only gas powered non-mower tool we have kept is our Husquarvna leaf blower/vacuum, and it requires a lot of maintenance and changing the carb parts to keep in running well, and that is with using the TrueFuel and other synthetic gas/oil mixes to avoid the issues associated with ethanol-containing gas sold at gas stations.

Just checked, and you can get the trimmer and edger as a package with the batter for $449 at Lowes. More expensive than the Echo model you linked, but we prefer the battery power and not having to run to get cans of gas/oil.

Im just not that into electric lawn equipment yet. My brother had some and they didn't last for him he had battery issues and so on. Maybe down the road once they perform better. The carb issues can be a pain with gas powered stuff I agree on that. Actually gonna do my spring oil change today on my mower as my grass will be ready for the first cut any day now.

just get rid of the lawn. Plant natives/food and enjoy the wildlife. haha
They sure did.

They ate almost all of the bulbs my Wife planted. I think we have like two or three daffodils left from the almost two hundred different type bulbs planted by her.

If she had BB gun...there wouldn't be any squirrels, rabbits or anything else small around our house anymore.

They sure did.

They ate almost all of the bulbs my Wife planted. I think we have like two or three daffodils left from the almost two hundred different type bulbs planted by her.

If she had BB gun...there wouldn't be any squirrels, rabbits or anything else small around our house anymore.
I know someone. Slingshots work well from what I hear too. . . . Just don't aim high and hit a window.

They sure did.

someday, robot scarecrows will be on the job 24x7 and protect the plantings... except for the groundhogs..

someday, robot scarecrows will be on the job 24x7 and protect the plantings... except for the groundhogs..
That guy…🤬

He would sit on the wood pile sunning himself, sometimes scratching his belly, while eating one of our tomatoes.

And when feeling extra bold do the same on our deck.

That guy…🤬

He would sit on the wood pile sunning himself, sometimes scratching his belly, while eating one of our tomatoes.

And when feeling extra bold do the same on our deck.
Guillotine traps? too cruel? release the hounds? I wonder if you can rent a varmint-killer hound...

Guillotine traps? too cruel? release the hounds? I wonder if you can rent a varmint-killer hound...
My older neighbor took care of it.

After he went after her stuff she trapped him and i don’t know (or want to know) what happened next.

I have gotten parts from Bargs they have been very reliable.

We have a dog that is a killer she is very fast and sneaky. She has gotten everyting from a groundhog to a possum to a squirril birds etc. The other Lab is content to just hang and watch the little killer do her work

We have a dog that is a killer she is very fast and sneaky. She has gotten everyting from a groundhog to a possum to a squirril birds etc. The other Lab is content to just hang and watch the little killer do her work
Amazed the dogs don't work in pairs. Have 2 husky mix brothers who do pincer movements around trees and shrubs to flush critters to one another. Still shudder at some of the things I have seen ripped apart and, of course, the de-skunking efforts... smell memory chills.

Reactions: fg7321
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT