ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Eternal Lawn Care Thread

Question for our resident lawn savants (I mean that with complete admiration 😊)… I overseeded 18 days ago (good germination so far) and I applied Mesotrione at the same time. I plan a second application of the Mesotrione at the 30 day mark. However I’m seeing a fair number of dandelions… so my question is can I apply a weed killer now and also apply another round of Mesotrione in about 2 weeks? Thanks!

They sure did.

They ate almost all of the bulbs my Wife planted. I think we have like two or three daffodils left from the almost two hundred different type bulbs planted by her.

If she had BB gun...there wouldn't be any squirrels, rabbits or anything else small around our house anymore.
I've learned when planting bulbs, you put the bulb at the bottom of the hole, fill halfway with dirt, liberally sprinkle in some powdered ghost peppers, then fill hole with remaining soil. No more squirrel & rabbit buffet line.

Question for our resident lawn savants (I mean that with complete admiration 😊)… I overseeded 18 days ago (good germination so far) and I applied Mesotrione at the same time. I plan a second application of the Mesotrione at the 30 day mark. However I’m seeing a fair number of dandelions… so my question is can I apply a weed killer now and also apply another round of Mesotrione in about 2 weeks? Thanks!

Check the label of the specific herbicide but generally 6-8 weeks after germination of the grass. I’d just pull the dandelions in the meantime.

I've learned when planting bulbs, you put the bulb at the bottom of the hole, fill halfway with dirt, liberally sprinkle in some powdered ghost peppers, then fill hole with remaining soil. No more squirrel & rabbit buffet line.
My Parent's house is on the water (pond actually) in Sea Girt and the daffodils and tulips along the water line or close to it were never touched. It looks like Holland back there...hundreds.

Maybe it was the ospreys, eagles or the fear of drowning that kept them away? LOL

Got in my 2nd cut today. Spot sprayed some SpeedZone on Sunday and by Monday that stuff had a lot of the weeds wilted. My neighbor has a bunch of purple deadnettle on there property and along there fence line. It is slowly creeping into my yard. I have to get wider with my spray next time as that spreads like crazy.
Ended up getting the Echo PAS225VP, I got to get used to using a curved shaft edger. First time using it today and had it kick back on me a few times. I went with the ethanol free gas that they sell at Depot in it. It's way more expensive but wanted to see how it ran on it. Not sure if I will continue using it.

Got in my 2nd cut today. Spot sprayed some SpeedZone on Sunday and by Monday that stuff had a lot of the weeds wilted. My neighbor has a bunch of purple deadnettle on there property and along there fence line. It is slowly creeping into my yard. I have to get wider with my spray next time as that spreads like crazy.
Ended up getting the Echo PAS225VP, I got to get used to using a curved shaft edger. First time using it today and had it kick back on me a few times. I went with the ethanol free gas that they sell at Depot in it. It's way more expensive but wanted to see how it ran on it. Not sure if I will continue using it.
To me, the ethanol free gas is worth it for the trimmers, mowers, snow blowers, chain saws, and other similar engines.

Last edited:
Not a fan.

Prefer a straight shaft instead.

To me, the ethanol free gas is worth it for the trimmers, mowers, snow blowers, chain saws, and other similar engines.
We switched everything over for work and the farm a few years ago. More expensive but everything's been starting up pretty easy after sitting for a while. Chain saws especially used to be a real bitch. The expense is well worth alleviating the aggravation.

Last edited:
I put down liquid 2,4-D in early March mixed with my pre-emergent. It didn't do nothing for dandelions and they are ravaging my yard. I have a feeling if i put down a weed granular it will kill my grass. The directions for the 2,4-D only says to use the product 2 times a year. I was going to put down some lawn food before the weekends rain but any suggestions with these weeds??????????

I put down liquid 2,4-D in early March mixed with my pre-emergent. It didn't do nothing for dandelions and they are ravaging my yard. I have a feeling if i put down a weed granular it will kill my grass. The directions for the 2,4-D only says to use the product 2 times a year. I was going to put down some lawn food before the weekends rain but any suggestions with these weeds??????????
Blue
Yellow - you are here🙂
Orange
Green - optional
Maroon

Worked for me.

I spot sprayed Speedzone a two weeks ago and it destroyed what dandelions I had. I didn’t have too many and normally I just pull them but wanted to see the effectiveness of the Speedzone. I don’t think you can find it in a big box store though. Bio advanced has a product at Lowe’s that I used in the past and it worked decent on dandelions. It hooks right up to your hose. They were all wilted in about 12 hours.

Speed zone works well as Postman said. So does triclopyr (the active ingredient in Ortho CCO that you can get at the box stores. I wouldn’t do another application of 2,4d now. As I suggested last month, 2,4d,is a post emergent weed killer that only works on actively growing weeds. I don’t know where you live but dandelions are not actively growing in central NJ in early March so a post emergent application at that time would not be effective.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
Speed zone works well as Postman said. So does triclopyr (the active ingredient in Ortho CCO that you can get at the box stores. I wouldn’t do another application of 2,4d now. As I suggested last month, 2,4d,is a post emergent weed killer that only works on actively growing weeds. I don’t know where you live but dandelions are not actively growing in central NJ in early March so a post emergent application at that time would not be effective.
Thanks Clayton DE. I'll get some more of the Ortho Product which worked well for me in the past.

I've been out of work with a bad Patella tendon since January. My wife has been hearing me complain about putting lawn food down the past couple weeks so bless her heart she went and applied it to my lawn smh. She didn't read the label and used the settings i had from last fall starter fertilizer after overseeding at 6 when it was supposed to be 3.5.. We are supposed to be getting some nice rain tomorrow but i'm still expecting some bad burn spots SMDH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been out of work with a bad Patella tendon since January. My wife has been hearing me complain about putting lawn food down the past couple weeks so bless her heart she went and applied it to my lawn smh. She didn't read the label and used the settings i had from last fall starter fertilizer after overseeding at 6 when it was supposed to be 3.5.. We are supposed to be getting some nice rain tomorrow but i'm still expecting some bad burn spots SMDH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow! Well the intention was good. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Reactions: miket007
I have a bag of Scotts Turfbuilder/Halts that I've been meaning to apply to the lawn, but never got around to. Is it too late for this to be an effective pre-emergent? BTW, I'm in Union County, NJ.

Last edited:
I have a bag of Scotts Turfbuilder/Halts that I've been meaning to apply to the lawn, but never got around to. Is it too late for this to be an effective pre-emergent? BTW, I'm in Union County, NJ.
Rule of thumb used to be you could put it (the YELLOW bag) down until the dandelions were at the puff ball stage. Not sure if that is true anymore.

I think you're too late for the BLUE one.

It’s a little late for the initial pre-emergence application (if you’re doing sequential applications a few months apart.) If you didn’t do a pre-emergent this spring you can put it down but it probably won’t be as effective as it would have been if it was put down earlier. It won’t hurt anything, though, assuming you didn’t already do one as mentioned.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it doesn't hurt to spread it on the lawn now since it's even less effective just sitting in the bag.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Need help putting together a plan. My lawn needs repairing and I'm planning on over-seeding in the fall. I've applied pre-emergent (Scots) in early spring and now I'm trying to get rid of the weeds, mainly Dandelions. About 2 weeks ago I sprayed with Tenacity. (did a nice job but there are still many more).

What should be my plan going forward so that I have a nice base to plant in the fall?

Ortho CCO with triclopyr is a good choice for many weeds, but not all. It’s possible to do another preemergent app depending on how much you put down, but having said that, I probably wouldn’t risk it. I’d try to get seed down around September 1. Here is a good article on seeding and although it’s mostly about starting from scratch, much of the principles apply to an overseed.

Here is a good article on weed control.

Good luck. Make sure you water it 3 or 4 times a day for 10 minutes or so the first week or two, then slowly scale back the number of daily watering but increase watering time.

Edit: I should add that I cut the existing grass very low (almost scalp) in a reseed.for essentially bare patches, rough up the area and you can put peat moss as a top but make sure it’s saturated at first or the peat will absorb your light watering.

Last edited:
What a tuff spring for lawns. Usually lawns are thriving now and having to be cut up to twice a week. Im already seeing some brown lawns from lack of rain. I got portable sprinklers I've been running the past week and still have some browning in areas. I haven't even put down any fertilizer yet this year because of no rain. Only thing I did was apply Prodiamine in early spring and spot spray Speedzone on some weeds.

How are the peoples lawns doing who applied seed in the spring?

• Angry
What a tuff spring for lawns. Usually lawns are thriving now and having to be cut up to twice a week. Im already seeing some brown lawns from lack of rain. I got portable sprinklers I've been running the past week and still have some browning in areas. I haven't even put down any fertilizer yet this year because of no rain. Only thing I did was apply Prodiamine in early spring and spot spray Speedzone on some weeds.

My early spring planting did pretty good. The late spring I filled in some more spots and they are struggling to say the least.

I don’t seed in the Spring but agree on the lack of rain. I haven’t put down fertilizer yet either. I do have a sprinkler system and have been using it the past 2 or 3 weeks. Did Dithiopyr early spring.

Everything was going lovely down here until my wife became pro-active and put down Scott's lawn food using last years Winterguard settings in early may SMDH. The burn came about 2 weeks ago and combined with lack of rain it's a mess. I had put down 50 pounds of grass seed last fall and it came in beautiful and now i gotta deal with this BS....

Everything was going lovely down here until my wife became pro-active and put down Scott's lawn food using last years Winterguard settings in early may SMDH. The burn came about 2 weeks ago and combined with lack of rain it's a mess. I had put down 50 pounds of grass seed last fall and it came in beautiful and now i gotta deal with this BS....

Wow…It’ll come back but it sucks in the meantime. One thing about fertilizer, herbicides, fungicides, etc is that you really have to follow the instructions and double check application rates.

It was a really, really dry May:

FxhzMj4aQAAU56w

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
As dry as May was my lawn has held up great. My irrigation system is run by a Rachio Controller and a Tempest weather station integrated with the Rachio. The system ran a total of 5 individual days in May. I have had the Rachio for 5 or 6 years now and it is a great controller, last year in the late summer I added the weather station and can see a difference in the watering schedule and elapsed time run......

@phs73rc77gsm83 and @Postman_1 -- what do you usually put down for fertilizer at this time of year and when-ish?

I have brown areas, like many others here, but I've been watering regularly and the green areas are green. But, growth has been slow as of late. I want to know what I can do to help what is growing to continue growing well. Thanks.

@phs73rc77gsm83 and @Postman_1 -- what do you usually put down for fertilizer at this time of year and when-ish?

I have brown areas, like many others here, but I've been watering regularly and the green areas are green. But, growth has been slow as of late. I want to know what I can do to help what is growing to continue growing well. Thanks.

JMO - I would go with a 25-0-5 slow release in early June. Timing depends on your last application, I would wait at least 6 weeks from your last application.

I do my first application in late May or early June. I generally use Oceangro (5-5-0, slow release) except for late fall when I’ll use a synthetic. I like to think about it as an annual program. The link below is useful to plan.

I second Oceangro, Ive used it in the past and had great results. I dont believe they sell it in big box stores. Here is a link for its availability. If you dont see a place near you a substitute for it is Milorganite that may be easier to find. Oceangro is based out of Jersey. Just make sure to get any leftover off of your sidewalk because the iron in it could stain. You could always do a soil test to see what nutrients you need. This should be done prior to anything being put down though.

Anyone else do their own maintenance on their sprinkler system. Have a system that was installed 5 years ago with Weathermatic rotors. Apparently, they stopped making rotors. Any preference for brands- Hunter vs. Rainbird or others?

Anyone else do their own maintenance on their sprinkler system. Have a system that was installed 5 years ago with Weathermatic rotors. Apparently, they stopped making rotors. Any preference for brands- Hunter vs. Rainbird or others?
I had Rainbird controller for many years but had to replace it a couple years ago. I asked the owner of the sprinkler company what he has or would buy and he said Hunter, which I bought. I’m very happy with it. (Not sure if you’re talking about the controller or sprinkler heads. My system is a combination of both rotors and spray heads from Rainbird.)

Last edited:

I used to have all Hunter as they broke over the years I replaced them with Orbit heads....and have no complaints.

I used to have all Hunter as they broke over the years I replaced them with Orbit heads....and have no complaints.
Interesting. I may lean towards Orbit. Have not done research, but perhaps this may be like HVAC equipment- parts are the same but assembled by different companies. The Weathermatic rotors seem to be wearing out. On a rental property, I used Toro heads (too small for my main home), and they have been solid performers for a lot of years.

Reactions: RU Golfer
I put down some OceanGro last week. The Ace hardware near me shut down so had to go to Princeton for it. It was my first fertilizer application so far this year. The early lack of rain did a number on my lawn. I came across this video on YouTube of a fertilizer I have not heard of before, anyone ever use it? I did have bad results though with other products from Sta Green.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT