ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Fran Brown hired by Syracuse

SU was unhappy with Babers "national approach" to recruiting.
SU aware that its past football success was built with local/regional emphasis

"Syracuse has always been — and will continue to be — a tough place to recruit, given its geography and climate, but there have been ways around that. Paul Pasqualoni, George DeLeone and others grinded to build a northeast recruiting base for SU that focused on recruiting in a five-to-six hour radius of the campus. Doug Marrone emulated that approach and made progress over his four years.

Babers, a West Coast native, came to SU with minimal local recruiting ties. He opted for a more national approach, and there was frustration within SU’s athletic department that he hadn’t built a larger presence around the northeast, according to The Athletic’s Bruce Feldman.

Wildhack realizes SU’s four most successful coaches — Ben Schwartzwalder, Dick MacPherson, Pasqualoni and Marrone — were northeast natives, and that will play a role in this decision.

“Sometimes history can be a really good teacher,” Wildhack said. "

That approach worked until.Rutgers started winning. Paqualoni probably shouldn't have been fired. That started the slide.

That approach worked until.Rutgers started winning. Paqualoni probably shouldn't have been fired. That started the slide.
It started the slide for the Cuse and it was also an immediate and direct boost for Rutgers

Easy to recruit to Georgia....Syracuse??? Not so much

As far as recruiting, New Jersey is a state that Syracuse traditionally has relied on to fill their recruiting needs.

In fact, this year ( Dino class 2024) Syracuse has commits from 6 Rival recruits from the NJ Top 40.

Don't know whether Fran will be a better HC or recruiter than Dino.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Reactions: Jimpeg
As far as recruiting, New Jersey is a state that Syracuse traditionally has relied on to fill their recruiting needs.

In fact, this year ( Dino class 2024) Syracuse has commits from 6 Rival recruits from the NJ Top 40.

Don't know whether Fran will be a better HC or recruiter than Dino.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
I think they are making a mistake taking someone from the defense instead of offense for HC. DIno Barber was OC/QB coach for Arizona and Texas A& M for 5 years and had success with the passing game for Cuse and with QB. They might have a problem with the offense. Pitt had a great QB and did well when he was there. You need passing to get to 7-9 wins.

Most 4stars from NJ are now going to Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan or ND because they are winners. Rutgers will get 50-60% of the rest of the better NJ players they want. Pittsburgh, Cuse, Boston College and the rest of the Big Ten get the rest of the 40%. Not enough NJ recruits to spread among the teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Panthergrowl13
If indeed he gets hired at Syracuse and does well, in 5 or 6 years he could end up back here, he is a young guy in the coaching profession, just 40. You never know.

If indeed he gets hired at Syracuse and does well, in 5 or 6 years he could end up back here, he is a young guy in the coaching profession, just 40. You never know.
He can get out of the cold and be Schiano replacement but he would have to produce a few 7-9 win seasons.

Sam brown was pretty good before he got hurt

I've made my thoughts on Brown known.
So the best offensive player Fran Brown recruited has a career high of 101 rushing yards in a game?

I'll hold off on being too worried about a career defensive recruiter turning around a program and building a winning offense.

NJ recruiting isn't what it used to be. Cuse wants to recruit NJ so bad while we go out of state to get better players.

Yes like NY and Erasmus.
I dont care about SU/Brown
RU plays in B1G and Schiano is an NFL prepper

NJ recruiting isn't what it used to be. Cuse wants to recruit NJ so bad while we go out of state to get better players.
Yes like NY and Erasmus.
I dont care about SU/Brown
RU plays in B1G and Schiano is an NFL prepper

Yes, Erasmus has turned into a nice pipeline. But outside of West Point, Rutgers is the closest D1 school. Sort of, as someone says, "State of Rutgers". But there is still plenty of talent in NJ available.

Reactions: ashokan
I was reviewing our recruits and the total NJ recruits for the last 3-4 years. Rutgers is out recruited by the Top 10 rated teams in most cases and some other Big Ten teams. There is an occasional few that Pitt, BC and Syracuse get but in Cuse cases we don’t even offer those recruits in most cases. I don’t see Cuse beating Rutgers, top 10 rated teams or other Big Ten team for the better recruits, maybe 1 or 2 max a year.

Jeff Hafley, Mr Super Recruiter, 2020 (3)NJ recruits, 2021 (3), 2022 (1), 2023 (1), 2024 (1) low rated. Schiano tend to shut down lower rated schools. Kids want to play in Big Ten than the ACC. When Schiano wasn’t here, Penn State got whoever they wanted from NJ.

Last edited:
Yes, Erasmus has turned into a nice pipeline. But outside of West Point, Rutgers is the closest D1 school. Sort of, as someone says, "State of Rutgers". But there is still plenty of talent in NJ available.

Schiano described SoR as within a 250 mile radius.
I lived in NY Metro area and my school sent three guys to Temple for OL (one becoming Pro Bowler).
Buffalo got bigger for recruiting since returning to D1 (Khalil Mack, Malcolm Koonce).
SU is seen as a lax/basketball school in bottom half of NY
I never see any SU stickers, magnets, shirts etc
I see more Rutgers actually.

Jim Boeheim used to do the local sports award dinner since we had two NBA first rounders.
SU football has been invisible past dozen years.
Army recruits FL, GA and Carolina's very hard and that's good way to go IMO.
Metro NY football has been a lot better lately.
Iona and Stepinac (Catholics) in particular but NewRo, Somers, Carmel and Harrison/Rye are doing well with a bunch playing for state titles this weekend.
Traditionally SU hit Rockland County and Keith Bullock was their most famous local.
Derrick Lassic (Bama MVP) came from same high school (North Rockland)

Schiano described SoR as within a 250 mile radius.
I lived in NY Metro area and my school sent three guys to Temple for OL (one becoming Pro Bowler).
Buffalo got bigger for recruiting since returning to D1 (Khalil Mack, Malcolm Koonce).
SU is seen as a lax/basketball school in bottom half of NY
I never see any SU stickers, magnets, shirts etc
I see more Rutgers actually.

Jim Boeheim used to do the local sports award dinner since we had two NBA first rounders.
SU football has been invisible past dozen years.
Army recruits FL, GA and Carolina's very hard and that's good way to go IMO.
Metro NY football has been a lot better lately.
Iona and Stepinac (Catholics) in particular but NewRo, Somers, Carmel and Harrison/Rye are doing well with a bunch playing for state titles this weekend.
Traditionally SU hit Rockland County and Keith Bullock was their most famous local.
Derrick Lassic (Bama MVP) came from same high school (North Rockland)

Most of the best in Rockland now are playing for Don Bosco, Bergen Catholic and/or St. Joes.

Reactions: Section124
Most of the best in Rockland now are playing for Don Bosco, Bergen Catholic and/or St. Joes.

Yes that's been true for awhile (McCourty's were from Nyack NY).
Now some of the schools can beat the NJ Catholics (Iona and Ajani Sheppard beat Bosco 42-35 a couple years ago)

I've made my thoughts on Brown known.
So the best offensive player Fran Brown recruited has a career high of 101 rushing yards in a game?

I'll hold off on being too worried about a career defensive recruiter turning around a program and building a winning offense.
You do realize how tough it was to recruit after Ash? Fran Brown brought instant credibility on the recruiting trail, other programs had to respect him and Rutgers. I don't know if he will be a good HC, may fail miserably, but if you a true Rutgers fan you will always appreciate the job he did here during one of our darker periods.

If he is sooooo good, why did everybody he work for not make him DC? In fact, Schiano past him twice.
I didn't think Fran Brown was a very good DB coach, but did want him to get a raise for his recruiting chops. So glad they chose to go with Joe Harasymiak. We have seen a lot less miscues in the D secondary, save for the Maryland game.

Last edited:
Reactions: TRU2RU
I didn't think Fran Brwon was a very good DB coach, but did want him to get a raise for his recruiting chops. So glad they chose to go with Joe Harasymiak. We have seen a lot less miscues in the D secondary, save for the Maryland game.
Agreed, I don't know any poster that claimed he was a great position coach or deserved to be the defensive coordinator. But to deny he is a great recruiter, is just plain ignorance, talk to the coaches at Temple, Baylor, Rutgers, and Georgia. Does that translate to a good HC, who knows.

Posted this on premium, but the point stands

Unless they get a Phil Knight type donor, Cuse is done
They won't be included in the next round of expansion

It doesn't matter if Vince Lombardi, Parcells, Belechecick, Saban, Urban and Bear Bryant were all on the coaching staff over there, it's over
They have (or had) a pretty big donor, Adam Weitsman. Thought I had heard he got kicked to the curb though.

Bad News Wow GIF by South Park

recap events GIF

Well Biggest issue at sewercuse is getting quality players to go play in a horrible place. Hiring in a great recruiter with no head coaching or coordinator experience is probably worth the downside risk, without better players they cannot possibly improve.

Fran probably will bring in talent because of his recruiting skill and he'll use how at one time Syracuse was one of the best and the recruits he talks to will be told they can help him make Syracuse great again.
But even if he gets better talent, he has to prove he's a good enough HC to make the Fruit a winner .
I'll take a wait and see attitude before I hide under the covers because of his hire.

He can get out of the cold and be Schiano replacement but he would have to produce a few 7-9 win seasons

Like to see how many former RU staff he hires.
Hope he throws Augie a lifeline and gets him back to D-1. If he brings any of his Georgia boys they are going to shit themselves when they get up close and personal with 55" of snow.

Good luck to Brown, as I mentioned earlier, the super star recruiter, Jeff Hafley, has three NJ recruits for the last three years, one a year, so I don’t think Brown is going to affect us so much. Big Ten beats ACC.

Last edited:
Good luck to Brown, as I mentioned earlier, the super star recruiter, Jeff Harley, has three NJ recruits for the last three years, one a year, so I don’t think Brown is going to affect us so much. Big Ten beats ACC.
Ash and his crew were killing it recruiting-wise their first year - until reality/the actual season began. I'd be shocked if Fran doesn't get a top 30 class plus some impact transfers. The key to me is how much money did Cuse give him for his assistants pool? He has to put a great staff together to win there. It is just such a hard job.

Reactions: Jimpeg
Syracuse is finished. I mean it’s not even close. They won’t see the sun rise for another 8 months there, who is going to play for them?

I like fran and he will be fine sink or swim, but anyone who thinks Syracuse is even remotely a threat to P5 recruiting is completely delusional.

In a decade they will be an FCS program if that’s still a thing.

I remember the first time RU played Marrone's Syracuse (2009) and got annihilated in first half
Savage was sacked 7 times and SU out-rushed RU 259-82.
Savage ended-up sacked 9 times - the SU sack record.
Marrone wanted to blow RU away for recruiting purposes and RU never saw the game coming.
It was like they never got off the bus.

""We just wanted to keep the pressure on him. We didn't want to let up," Syracuse's Doug Hogue said. "Going into the game, we wanted to make sure the quarterback knew we were going to bring it."
That game was horrible. SU didn't even have enough players to field a full practice and we made them look like the '85 Bears. Our coaching staff made zero adjustments the entire game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT