ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Heavy Rain Thursday (2/3), Ending as Some Freezing Rain, Sleet, Snow Friday?

Non-stop rain here. We've definitely seen a drop in temperatures, but it really doesn't appear to be affecting the roads as of now. Gonna drop the missus to work around 12:15, just because if conditions are bad tonight I don't want her driving in them.

Philly better start preparing for the next Ice Age!
Our kids have 1230 dismissal due to the weather. I’m not happy about that, but I’m sure they are because Pete Davidson is in town filming and they have been stalking him. Hahaha

Our kids have 1230 dismissal due to the weather. I’m not happy about that, but I’m sure they are because Pete Davidson is in town filming and they have been stalking him. Hahaha

They closed schools here last night - I really don't see why.

Reactions: Jm0513
So how is the drive from Morris county to NYC at 3pm looking? Also the return around midnight.
Same as what I said last night. Only worry will likely be sidewalks/driveways and maybe a sidestreet or two (especially in Morris, not so much in NYC), as they could have a glaze of ice on them.

Just drove my better half to work, roads are fine right now. The rain is sporadic and very light when it's coming down.

Just drove my better half to work, roads are fine right now. The rain is sporadic and very light when it's coming down.
Does your wife call you her better or does she agree with you that she is the better half, AND if she does agree with you, is it the first time she ever agreed with you on anything?

Does your wife call you her better or does she agree with you that she is the better half, AND if she does agree with you, is it the first time she ever agreed with you on anything?
Yes, she does, but she's just being nice. Yes, she would probably agree with me, but, no, she has agreed with me on other things. Not many by a long shot, but a select few.

Reactions: goru1869
..Pete Davidson is in town filming and they have been stalking him. Hahaha
WTF, he’s like the Beatles now?! I am at a complete loss on that whole thing. But I‘m not a hot famous woman either, lol. Oh, and I blame them. They started this nonsense, haha.

• Haha
Reactions: Jm0513
People don't pay attention. They hear something and then don't follow-up. My 17 year old son was supposed to have friends over tonight. None of their parents will let them drive due to the "ice storm." We are in Middlesex County. There is no "ice storm."

Reactions: T2Kplus20
I've never met his wife, but I have met Spanky. And I'm quite certain she's the better half. 😀

Who loves ya, Spanky? ❤️

Reactions: goru1869
WTF, he’s like the Beatles now?! I am at a complete loss on that whole thing. But I‘m not a hot famous woman either, lol. Oh, and I blame them. They started this nonsense, haha.
People like ugly, goofy, not-so-funny douches these days.

I couldn't have said it better myself! LOL j/k!
I reworded it to remove the ambiguity, but yes.

If you'd said ugly, goofy, smelly, not-so-funny douches, then you've have perfectly described me. 😀

And that's why I can never love a woman that loves me. WTF are they thinking, is what I can't help wondering.

• Haha
Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Stop. 1/2 day isn’t killing anyone. Don’t be a drama queen. Stick to the weather.
Not being a drama queen just a parent who cares about his sons education. Half day? He told me yesterday at 4pm the school was closed today. Thanks for chiming in on your lack of knowledge about being a parent.

Not being a drama queen just a parent who cares about his sons education. Half day? He told me yesterday at 4pm the school was closed today. Thanks for chiming in on your lack of knowledge about being a parent.
Blah, blah. Stick to the weather. Somehow you survived the hardship to post here. Here’s a medal.

Blah, blah. Stick to the weather. Somehow you survived the hardship to post here. Here’s a medal.
Hate to tell you my friend but I am not the one who brought the school part of this up. SOOO, it seems to me I am not the only one concerned about what is going on with the education of this country's children. Now as far as posting here I had rotator cuff surgery in October. No work for me until March at the earliest. So, yea I am home with my son, but what about other parents? Nice to know someone (YOU) who is not a parent and hopefully NEVER will be has all the answers. Have a nice day.

Hate to tell you my friend but I am not the one who brought the school part of this up. SOOO, it seems to me I am not the only one concerned about what is going on with the education of this country's children. Now as far as posting here I had rotator cuff surgery in October. No work for me until March at the earliest. So, yea I am home with my son, but what about other parents? Nice to know someone (YOU) who is not a parent and hopefully NEVER will be has all the answers. Have a nice day.
Um okay, this was a weather thread, Here's hoping your pain meds kick in soon. Have a wonderful day.

Um okay, this was a weather thread, Here's hoping your pain meds kick in soon. Have a wonderful day.
I started it
UnsteadySecondhandCondor-max-1mb.gif

Funny all you do is blast people on the weather thread. Maybe you should stick to weather and stop being an ass! You are as bad as all the people you keep posting about. BTW it's still raining. I least I talk about the weather unlike you!

All state offices had a delayed opening today until 10am. It was 51 degrees when i woke up
I think they were brining road this morning as well! Murphy and his incompetence DOT strikes again.

Nice update from Mt. Holly, discussing the very fast drop in temps behind the front into the 30s, but the much slower drop to below 32F expected for most folks. Not much freezing rain likely for areas south of 78 or along 95, especially on well traveled roads with marginal temps and indirect sunlight; driveways, sidewalks and maybe local streets could get icy though. For much of NW NJ (NW of 80/287 generally) and the Hudson Valley/Catskills/Poconos, it's a different story with significant icing followed by some sleet.

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
1031 AM EST Fri Feb 4 2022

NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...
The cold front continues to move across the area this morning,
and has been clearly evident on radar signatures, in addition
to the temperature change behind it. Temperatures behind the
front drop 10-15 degrees withing a 15-30 minute period, so it is
quite a sharp drop off. However, the sub-freezing temperatures
are struggling to make it into our area. So the main change was
to delay the sub-freezing temperatures, in turn the
freezing/frozen precipitation for many areas. Still, no changes
to the advisory at this time because those areas in the advisory
are still expected to experience some freezing rain later this
afternoon before the precipitation ends. As the cold air
continues to push in, the depth of the cold air will increase,
so the rain/freezing rain could begin to change over to sleet or
snow before it ends for some areas.

https://www.weather.gov/phi/

Interestingly, sub-32F temps have made their way down the Hudson Valley and into NYC/NENJ over the past 2 hours, with light freezing rain accretion now being reported all over the place on colder surfaces; oddly areas in NJ west of about the NJ TPK between 78 and 80 are still above 32F - seems like topography is allowing the cold air in the Hudson Valley to drain more easily down the Hudson on light northerly winds, due south into the urban areas of NENJ/NYC. Roads don't sound like they're bad yet in the urban areas, but they might start to get bad soon if the precip keeps up with temps at 30-32F (31F in Central Park right now, where slippery sidewalks are being reported). This could definitely end up more serious than most of us thought a few hours ago, even.

Haven't seen temps below 32F, yet south of 78 in NJ, but it looks like that should happen in the next hour or two, which could put down a glaze of ice for much of Hunterdon, Mercer, Somerset and Middlesex Counties (and Bucks/Montco in PA). As always, very tricky forecast when 1F can make a big difference.

https://www.weather.gov/okx/

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service New York NY
440 PM EST Fri Feb 4 2022

NJZ006-106>108-NYZ072-074-075-176-178-179-042345-
Hudson-Eastern Union-Eastern Essex-Western Union-Northern
Queens-Southern Queens-New York (Manhattan)-Kings (Brooklyn)-Richmond
(Staten Is.)-Southern Nassau-

...ICY CONDITIONS DEVELOPING FOR THE EVENING COMMUTE...

Temperatures are expected to drop to around 30 through 6pm with
light freezing rain and freezing drizzle developing across the
region.

The freezing rain may coat roadways and walkways with a thin layer
of ice that may be undetectable. Please use extreme caution,
especially on bridges, overpasses and around curves. Allow plenty of
stopping distance and avoid braking suddenly.

425 PM EST Fri Feb 4 2022

CTZ005-009-NJZ004-006-103>108-NYZ069>073-078-176-177-042315-
Northern Fairfield-Southern Fairfield-Hudson-Eastern Union-Eastern
Essex-Western Bergen-Western Union-Western Essex-Eastern
Bergen-Eastern Passaic-Rockland-Northern Nassau-Northern
Queens-Northwest Suffolk-Southern Westchester-Bronx-New York
(Manhattan)-Northern Westchester-

...ICY CONDITIONS FOR THE EVENING COMMUTE...

Temperatures were at or are expected to drop into the upper 20s to
around 30 through 6pm with light freezing rain and freezing drizzle
across the region.

The freezing rain will coat untreated roadways and walkways with a
thin layer of ice that may be undetectable. Please use extreme
caution, especially on bridges, overpasses and around curves. Allow
plenty of stopping distance and avoid braking suddenly.

Last edited:
Funny all you do is blast people on the weather thread. Maybe you should stick to weather and stop being an ass! You are as bad as all the people you keep posting about. BTW it's still raining. I least I talk about the weather unlike you!
Honestly go back and read my posts - you won’t find many of those in the weather threads. Right here? Yes, because the whining about an unrelated topic is annoying.

Honestly go back and read my posts - you won’t find many of those in the weather threads. Right here? Yes, because the whining about an unrelated topic is annoying.
If schools are shut down because of weather, how is that unrelated? P.S. NO ONE forced you to read this thread. You have my permission to leave if you are upset. You are welcome.

If schools are shut down because of weather, how is that unrelated?
The thread is about weather conditions and forecasts, not bitching about school closures- that just clutters up things. But if you want to do that and tie it to masking and the pandemic like some were attempting to, have at it. I’ll just scroll by in the future.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
All state offices had a delayed opening today until 10am. It was 51 degrees when i woke up
That's just dumb, since everyone knew it was going to be warmer this morning with any chance of frozen precip being after sunrise and especially after noon and into the early evening. Early closure I could understand. Are all of these offices in Trenton?

The thread is about weather conditions and forecasts, not bitching about school closures- that just clutters up things. But if you want to do that and tie it to masking and the pandemic like some were attempting to, have at it. I’ll just scroll by in the future.

school closures are most certainly part of the thread, again why would anyone be surprised by what officials are doing

SOOO , you decide what can be discussed here? IT seems a few of us had our opinion and wanted to discuss it. YOU lost! Have a nice day sweetheart.

Interestingly, sub-32F temps have made their way down the Hudson Valley and into NYC/NENJ over the past 2 hours, with light freezing rain accretion now being reported all over the place on colder surfaces; oddly areas in NJ west of about the NJ TPK between 78 and 80 are still above 32F - seems like topography is allowing the cold air in the Hudson Valley to drain more easily down the Hudson on light northerly winds, due south into the urban areas of NENJ/NYC. Roads don't sound like they're bad yet in the urban areas, but they might start to get bad soon if the precip keeps up with temps at 30-32F (31F in Central Park right now, where slippery sidewalks are being reported). This could definitely end up more serious than most of us thought a few hours ago, even.

Haven't seen temps below 32F, yet south of 78 in NJ, but it looks like that should happen in the next hour or two, which could put down a glaze of ice for much of Hunterdon, Mercer, Somerset and Middlesex Counties (and Bucks/Montco in PA). As always, very tricky forecast when 1F can make a big difference.

https://www.weather.gov/okx/

NJZ006-106>108-NYZ072-074-075-176-178-179-042345-
Hudson-Eastern Union-Eastern Essex-Western Union-Northern
Queens-Southern Queens-New York (Manhattan)-Kings (Brooklyn)-Richmond
(Staten Is.)-Southern Nassau-

...ICY CONDITIONS DEVELOPING FOR THE EVENING COMMUTE...

Temperatures are expected to drop to around 30 through 6pm with
light freezing rain and freezing drizzle developing across the
region.

The freezing rain may coat roadways and walkways with a thin layer
of ice that may be undetectable. Please use extreme caution,
especially on bridges, overpasses and around curves. Allow plenty of
stopping distance and avoid braking suddenly.

CTZ005-009-NJZ004-006-103>108-NYZ069>073-078-176-177-042315-
Northern Fairfield-Southern Fairfield-Hudson-Eastern Union-Eastern
Essex-Western Bergen-Western Union-Western Essex-Eastern
Bergen-Eastern Passaic-Rockland-Northern Nassau-Northern
Queens-Northwest Suffolk-Southern Westchester-Bronx-New York
(Manhattan)-Northern Westchester-

...ICY CONDITIONS FOR THE EVENING COMMUTE...

Temperatures were at or are expected to drop into the upper 20s to
around 30 through 6pm with light freezing rain and freezing drizzle
across the region.

The freezing rain will coat untreated roadways and walkways with a
thin layer of ice that may be undetectable. Please use extreme
caution, especially on bridges, overpasses and around curves. Allow
plenty of stopping distance and avoid braking suddenly.

To illustrate the fascinating temperature departures from what we normally see, take a look at the graphic, where NYC and NENJ east of the TPK are 1-2F colder than areas west of the TPK in NJ, between 78 and 80, all the way out towards the Delaware River all the way out to about Warren County. Don't think any models were showing this, lol.

BLaflwT.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT