ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Light snow to rain event Sunday afternoon into Monday

Montgomery Twp roads were brined yesterday by 10am. Waste of taxpayers money
Just a few roads. Testing the brine and prepping trucks for the winter. And just to add, Monty was the first town in the area to brine roads. Not only do most town now do the same, many buy the brine from our DPW.

looking like a pretty minor event...light snow could break out as early as late tomorrow afternoon, these things sometimes move in quicker. Really shouldnt be more than maybe a coating to an inch at most from central jersey to NYC and maybe 1-3 in the usual suspects in NW NJ. Will have to watch the radar and nowcast for any surprises

Technically it starts on 12/6, but who's counting, lol. Very active pattern with lots of cold air and precip chances the next couple of weeks...
I'm ready. Ordered some new Pirelli winter performance tires (and new winter wheels).

sottozero-serie2.jpg

:)

I love snow. But I hate this wintery mix shit. If it's gonna snow, I want at least two feet, preferably six to eight feet of light snow. You know, the light white powdery stuff.

I remember putting the studded rear snow tired on my old Bel Air when I was a kid. What a concept.

I remember putting the studded rear snow tired on my old Bel Air when I was a kid. What a concept.
These won't really be much good on snow, nothing like studded snow tires (or even dedicated snow tires). Although they will do lot better than the summer tires on snow and in the cold and will still let me drive up to 149 (theoretically).

I found out, the hard way, that summer tires don't react well to even just being stored in cold temps. So I now store them in my basement instead of my garage. Makes me wonder how cold the distributions centers for tire vendors get.

These won't really be much good on snow, nothing like studded snow tires (or even dedicated snow tires). Although they will do lot better than the summer tires on snow and in the cold and will still let me drive up to 149 (theoretically).

I found out, the hard way, that summer tires don't react well to even just being stored in cold temps. So I now store them in my basement instead of my garage. Makes me wonder how cold the distributions centers for tire vendors get.

I just stick to the hi-perf all season tires. I thought I was gonna have to buy a new set last week - just in time for winter - because my front left was losing pressure. Turned out I had a blown bead seal. Never blew a bead seal before. Damn exit ramps.

I just stick to the hi-perf all season tires. I thought I was gonna have to buy a new set last week - just in time for winter - because my front left was losing pressure. Turned out I had a blown bead seal. Never blew a bead seal before. Damn exit ramps.
I had someone ask me just a few days ago if I could really tell the difference between high performance all-seasons and high performance summer tires. I actually can, but most people wouldn't want to be in the car with me when I'm detecting the difference.

However, to his point, and yours, it's rare that I'm driving in such a way as to make the difference perceptible - so it could easily be argued not to be worth it.

In a FWD high-torque platform, the tire compound matters a lot on launches. Even on my OEM summer tires (Dunlops), I had to work to not spin the tires all the way up through third gear and I could spin them in fourth if I really worked at it.

With the Michelin Pilot Super Sports I use in the summer, also 20mm wider, I have to work really hard to get them to spin in third and they grip way better in first and second. The much stiffer than stock suspension helps, too, by mitigating squat and keeping weight over the drive wheels.

And yeah, exit ramps. I live for exit ramps. The ramp at exit 6 from NJTP south to the PATP can be awesome fun with my current summer setup, when there's no other cars around. The OEM Dunlops I mentioned earlier met their early demise (along with the stock wheels) upon overcooking an entry to a local exit ramp. A story for another day/thread.

I had someone ask me just a few days ago if I could really tell the difference between high performance all-seasons and high performance summer tires. I actually can, but most people wouldn't want to be in the car with me when I'm detecting the difference.

However, to his point, and yours, it's rare that I'm driving in such a way as to make the difference perceptible - so it could easily be argued not to be worth it.

In a FWD high-torque platform, the tire compound matters a lot on launches. Even on my OEM summer tires (Dunlops), I had to work to not spin the tires all the way up through third gear and I could spin them in fourth if I really worked at it.

With the Michelin Pilot Super Sports I use in the summer, also 20mm wider, I have to work really hard to get them to spin in third and they grip way better in first and second. The much stiffer than stock suspension helps, too, by mitigating squat and keeping weight over the drive wheels.

And yeah, exit ramps. I live for exit ramps. The ramp at exit 6 from NJTP south to the PATP can be awesome fun with my current summer setup, when there's no other cars around. The OEM Dunlops I mentioned earlier met their early demise (along with the stock wheels) upon overcooking an entry to a local exit ramp. A story for another day/thread.

I always take that ramp from the outer roadway, since that's my southbound preference (I prefer the inner roadway northbound. No, I don't know why). And it's not unusual for me to be well over 100 by the time I hit the bend right, at the top of the ramp.

My tire focus is generally on wet performance. The AWD platform lets me slide that a little more toward dry performance, but... I've never spun a car on a dry road, ya know?

http://www.weather.gov/media/phi/current_briefing.pdf

I can see folks being confident about the New Brunswick area, but I do not find this 3 p.m. briefing especially reassuring for areas around and north of I-78 and particularly north of I-80. My fiancee is supposed to be driving Sunday afternoon from Flemington to just north of Paterson and back again, and it looks like weather conditions will be sloppy or dangerous -- the first bit of snow is often the worst.

I always take that ramp from the outer roadway, since that's my southbound preference (I prefer the inner roadway northbound. No, I don't know why). And it's not unusual for me to be well over 100 by the time I hit the bend right, at the top of the ramp.

My tire focus is generally on wet performance. The AWD platform lets me slide that a little more toward dry performance, but... I've never spun a car on a dry road, ya know?
Yeah, that outer ramp is the one I'm talking about. The car lanes are so nice now, having been relatively recently paved.

I cannot say that I have not spun cars on dry surfaces before, although only in RWD cars, not AWD or FWD. The incident that trashed my OEM Dunlops on this car was in the dry, but was more massive understeer leading to a lateral slide; not a spin.

One nice thing about winter tires and all-season tires is that they don't toss every little bit of everything up against the underside of the car. That's one thing that totally drives me nuts with the summer tires.

Had snow squalls in the Sea Bright/Middletown area. Hills in Hartshorne Woods had a dusting. Wish the County had laid brine down on the mountain bike trails.

http://www.weather.gov/media/phi/current_briefing.pdf

I can see folks being confident about the New Brunswick area, but I do not find this 3 p.m. briefing especially reassuring for areas around and north of I-78 and particularly north of I-80. My fiancee is supposed to be driving Sunday afternoon from Flemington to just north of Paterson and back again, and it looks like weather conditions will be sloppy or dangerous -- the first bit of snow is often the worst.

camden - you're right to be concerned about Flemington to Paterson and back, in general, but before dark, that ride should be ok, as any precip before dark should be relatively light and wouldn't accumulate on any major highways during daylight hours, especially with traffic. Even then, that route won't be horrible after dark, as precip won't be that heavy before late evening.

One point: I'm assuming she'd take 202 to 287S to the TPK or Parkway to Paterson and not 202 to 287N to 80E - the latter route is far more likely to be wintry than the former route (which may not be wintry at all, beyond snow that falls and melts).

Just a few roads. Testing the brine and prepping trucks for the winter. And just to add, Monty was the first town in the area to brine roads. Not only do most town now do the same, many buy the brine from our DPW.
Stop

He's saying it because he is who he is. Predict snow and then when it doesn't happen, deny saying it.

T - you're trolling is getting weak and inconsistent - you really ought to be giving bac the business for even starting this thread over 3 days out - I can only imagine what you would've said to me if I had started the thread.

bac - just for the record, I was about to start a similar thread when I saw yours. I see no issue in alerting people to the potential for wintry weather - you made it clear there was significant uncertainty. I just wish you'd give the pros a bit more benefit of the doubt when they're off a bit or even a fair amount, given the high degree of uncertainty with precipitation events even a day or two in advance. The science has improved a lot, but for some reason your expectations are a bit unrealistic, IMO. I'm about to start a thread on the coming cold/snowy pattern, so I'm sure I'll take a few shots, lol.

T - you're trolling is getting weak and inconsistent - you really ought to be giving bac the business for even starting this thread over 3 days out - I can only imagine what you would've said to me if I had started the thread.

bac - just for the record, I was about to start a similar thread when I saw yours. I see no issue in alerting people to the potential for wintry weather - you made it clear there was significant uncertainty. I just wish you'd give the pros a bit more benefit of the doubt when they're off a bit or even a fair amount, given the high degree of uncertainty with precipitation events even a day or two in advance. The science has improved a lot, but for some reason your expectations are a bit unrealistic, IMO. I'm about to start a thread on the coming cold/snowy pattern, so I'm sure I'll take a few shots, lol.

*your

Reactions: mildone

You mean potential pattern...yes cold but snow very uncertain

camden - you're right to be concerned about Flemington to Paterson and back, in general, but before dark, that ride should be ok, as any precip before dark should be relatively light and wouldn't accumulate on any major highways during daylight hours, especially with traffic. Even then, that route won't be horrible after dark, as precip won't be that heavy before late evening.

One point: I'm assuming she'd take 202 to 287S to the TPK or Parkway to Paterson and not 202 to 287N to 80E - the latter route is far more likely to be wintry than the former route (which may not be wintry at all, beyond snow that falls and melts).

Actually, she's going to Westwood, which as you probably know is off the Garden State Parkway and 80, and is about ten miles, I think, from NYC. It's a little north of Paterson -- I mentioned that town because I thought it would be more familiar to people. Her customary route is the second route. Using the first route, would she pick up the Turnpike at exit 9 -- that would make it a long haul. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Well, it was there. Not really sure what you mean by "go there".

I meant "go there" from the perspective of pointing out errors, which I never do unless provoked. I can guarantee that you'll lose that battle with me. Case in point: it should be "go there."

I meant "go there" from the perspective of pointing out errors, which I never do unless provoked. I can guarantee that you'll lose that battle with me. Case in point: it should be "go there."

The implicit suggestion that you're a better writer than me is, to me, amusing. But I'm sure that you sincerely believe it, so... enjoy your hallucination.

Also, the mandatory placement of periods inside quotation marks is an American adaptation. There is, in traditional English, a set of rules that places periods either inside or outside quotes.

Reactions: Knight Shift
The implicit suggestion that you're a better writer than me is, to me, amusing. But I'm sure that you sincerely believe it, so... enjoy your hallucination.

Also, the mandatory placement of periods inside quotation marks is an American adaptation. There is, in traditional English, a set of rules that places periods either inside or outside quotes.

I was taught in 7th grade that this was a printer's convention -- it had something to do with the layout of the traditional type box. Probably they lied to me about that.

I was taught in 7th grade that this was a printer's convention -- it had something to do with the layout of the traditional type box. Probably they lied to me about that.

Actually, you were taught correctly. American printers began placing periods (and commas) inside quotation marks because it was better for the set type - they suffered fewer breakages.

The "outside" punctuation mark is making a comeback in the U.S., as of late. This Slate article explains.

So, if you are quoting a case that says "go there", and a comma was not in the original quote, but you need a comma after the quotation marks, does the comma go inside or outside the quotation marks. Does the Bluebook cover this?

There was no such implicit suggestion, i.e., your inference is incorrect, at least with regard to whether one of us is a better "writer" or not. I don't consider trivial errors to be the measure of an author - that's what editors are for. My comment was limited to who makes more errors in writing and I'm nearly certain that would be you (you had another in your first sentence, above). However, if you'd like to compare professional, peer reviewed publications, you know my name and can look mine up - there are quite a few.

With regard to quotation marks and punctuation, I'll go with the American style, which I'm sure you were taught and which is still what would be expected in this country and on this board. Also, if you felt so strongly about the British style, you'd be posting more about Rutgers Football practising their offence and defence in full armour on their favourite field, instead of engaging in your current pretence about British style, in order to cover up your quotation punctuation error.

There was no such implicit suggestion, i.e., your inference is incorrect, at least with regard to whether one of us is a better "writer" or not. I don't consider trivial errors to be the measure of an author - that's what editors are for. My comment was limited to who makes more errors in writing and I'm nearly certain that would be you (you had another in your first sentence, above). However, if you'd like to compare professional, peer reviewed publications, you know my name and can look mine up - there are quite a few.

With regard to quotation marks and punctuation, I'll go with the American style, which I'm sure you were taught and which is still what would be expected in this country and on this board. Also, if you felt so strongly about the British style, you'd be posting more about Rutgers Football practising their offence and defence in full armour on their favourite field, instead of engaging in your current pretence about British style, in order to cover up your quotation punctuation error.

So which are the rest of us? Innies or outies?

BellyButton.jpg

Good point about Bac! :)

Actually, you were taught correctly. American printers began placing periods (and commas) inside quotation marks because it was better for the set type - they suffered fewer breakages.

The "outside" punctuation mark is making a comeback in the U.S., as of late. This Slate article explains.
By the way, despite our argument, I completely agree with the British approach to punctuation with quotation marks - the American approach is simply illogical. My guess is the American way will fall by the wayside, eventually. For anyone out there who hasn't read it, give Bill Bryson's book, "The Mother Tongue - English and How It Got That Way" a spin. It's brilliant.

Slightly surprised the NWS in Philly extended the advisories a tier of counties southward, so they're now up for Middlesex, Mercer, lower Bucks and lower Montco for an inch or so of snow in the evening and a trace of freezing rain (the freezing rain is the reason for the advisory, as one needs 3" of snow in our area for an advisory to verify) before the changeover to plain rain after midnight. They're calling for 2-5" north of 78 (with the higher amounts really north of 80 - don't think anyone near 78 sees more than 2") before the changeover, where the Monday morning commute will likely be affected.

Think they could be a little bullish there, too - but they often are with the first widespread wintry precip. The NWS in NYC has no advisories up, except for Western Passaic, Orange and Putnam counties, i.e., not for the counties, like Union, Essex, and Bergen, next to Morris, Somerset, and Middlesex, which have advisories up. Someone's going to be wrong and my guess is it'll be the NWS in Philly.

http://www.weather.gov/phi/

.SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH 6 AM MONDAY/...
A break in the snow is possible early this evening as the lead short
wave passes eastward, but this break in precipitation will only be
temporary. A warm front will lift northward across the area tonight
as an area of low pressure moves into the Great Lakes region. A
couple of short wave/vorticity impulses will spread across the area
during the overnight, which will help enhance lift across the area
as low-mid level moisture spread through the region. This will lead
to an extended period of precipitation. The question becomes what the
P-types will be. As the precipitation first develops and spreads
across the area, it should start out as snow. However, as
temperatures begin to warm, especially aloft, we should begin having
a change over to a wintry mix. We extended the Winter Weather
Advisory a tier of counties southward, and have kept the advisory
the same for the counties that were already in it. Highest snow
amounts are expected to be across the northern areas from I-78/I-80
northward where 3-5 inches is possible. South of this area in the
advisory, a dusting to 1-2 inches is possible. With the freezing
rain, a trace to less than one-tenth of an inch of ice is expected
before a change over to all rain.

Snowing lightly in NB, now - might get a coating this afternoon into the evening; otherwise, the NWS forecast hasn't really changed...

pixie dust started and ended already here in Belle Mead, per radar looks like southern areas of central jersey and south jersey receiving nothing from this first batch but those to the north can get a coating to an inch with this but I think then a break for precip around midnight which should be freezing rain quickly to rain for most south of 78

So... no. You're pretty much wrong about everything.

Time for you to go back on my Ignore list. Your attention seeking is tiresome. I've noticed it's also cyclical. You should talk to someone about mood disorders.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
These threads would be much more readable and informative if they didn't turn into bickering matches between people acting like nine year olds

Reactions: RST95 and RUChoppin
So, if you are quoting a case that says "go there", and a comma was not in the original quote, but you need a comma after the quotation marks, does the comma go inside or outside the quotation marks. Does the Bluebook cover this?

Have no idea. Haven't looked at the blue book in years. I just do what I want to do, and let the student editors take care of what they think are errors. But my guess would be it goes inside the quotation marks.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Have no idea. Haven't looked at the blue book in years. I just do what I want to do, and let the student editors take care of what they think are errors. But my guess would be it goes inside the quotation marks.
My instinct is that is "wrong," but what do I know? I am a patent attorney, and we quote from patents quite a bit in handling administrative responses. I would worry about a patent examiner or someone later asserting that I was misquoting the original patent, which is ridiculous, but would not surprise me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT