ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2020 season

OK let's have some fun with this one, courtesy of The Athletic:

World Series, Game 7, Ninth Inning, up a run. You have your choice of any of the six top closers in Met history (in alpha order):
  • Armando Benitez
  • Jeurys Familia
  • John Franco
  • Tug McGraw
  • Jesse Orosco
  • Billy Wagner
You want to make your decision based on their Met postseason record. Using this criterion, there are five very good choices and one very bad one. Which is the bad choice?
The bad choice is one of the reasons I never really understood the talk of him getting HOF vote...
My top to worse with just my gut would be
1)Tug
2) Orosco
3) Franco
4) Wagner
5) Benitez
6) Familia

The what could have been:

Tim Leary

Didn't he pitch for the Laguna Beach Heads?

tlg.gif

MO

Where would you squeeze Jack (Hairbreath Harry) Hamilton?
Jack Hamilton! The Mets first "closer", although that term would not be used until decades later.

He had 13 saves in 1966. Well, actually he didn't have 13 saves in 1966, because saves were not yet an official stat. But it's been retroactively determined that he had 13 saves in 1966. That was a lot back then, especially on a team that only won 66 games. Phil Regan, last year's Mets pitching coach, led the NL that year with 21.

Prior to then, the most saves that any Met had in a season was five.

Reactions: rubaseball78
Yankees, Mets moving spring training camps from Florida to NY: Cuomo

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) –
The Yankees and Mets will move their spring training camps from Florida to New York, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Saturday.

“I can’t remember the last time we had spring training in New York,” the governor said in a conference call. “This is really exciting news for us.”

Cuomo said the Yankees will move their training camp to Yankee Stadium and the Mets will move their training camp to Citi Field.

https://1010wins.radio.com/articles/yankees-mets-moving-spring-training-camps-to-new-york

Current update: MLBPA has postponed a vote on whether to accept the 60 day season, as they are concerned about the new spike in COVID-19 cases. They want to analyze the new data. Don't expect any announcements for a couple of days.

DH to salve the abysmal Cano trade and renewed hope the Wilpons may soon be Wilgones?

Cespedes should DH primarily with Cano and Davis slotting in.

It will be nice to watch baseball but overall as a season I'm not too excited about the 60 game charade coming. I just hope the pitchers stay healthy.

Wont say a word until the Wilpons are OFFICIALLY OUT of the Mets organization completely.
The Wilpons are f*cked in the head. They blew a good opportunity to walk away with money in the pocket. Instead, they will lose millions more because they can't let go. Back in the 80s, they were bit players with the Mets and the Mets won. Once they took control (majority ownership), it's been downhill ever since with an occasional good season. They are so power-hungry they screwed themselves. They had a chance to get of out trouble by selling the team, instead, they wanted to remain in control even though they would be minority owners. :Angry:Angry:ThumbsDown:BrokenHeart

DH? Jd Davis? Jeff McNeil? Pete Alsonso when a righty is pitching with Dom Smith at 1st? Discuss.

What is Cespedes status?
Cespedes will be the primary DH if healthy, which no one knows, not even the Mets.

Otherwise it will be Davis sometimes, Smith sometimes, Cano sometimes. Maybe even forgotten man Jed Lowrie. Not McNeil, he'll be in the field, as will Alonso.

Last edited:
Cespedes will be the primary DH if healthy, which no one knows, not even the Mets.

Otherwise it will be Davis sometimes, Smith sometimes, Cano sometimes. Maybe even forgotten man Jed Lowrie. Not McNeil, he'll be in the field, as will Alonso.
Who do you think the primary player will be at 3B and LF?

Marisnick stinks so hope he doesn't get a lot of time in CF. Nimmo should have always been primary CF with Marisnick only coming for defense late in the game if needed.

The DH in the NL will be fun. In some ways, does it hurt the Mets with their SP's being the best group of hitting P's in the league. Yeah- a DH will hit better than any group of pitchers but the Mets actually had an advantage there.
But, let's say Cesp become the full time DH and is healthy and playing for a contract...He may be the best possible DH in the league.
So now, makes the lineup pretty damn good from top to bottom when you have a guy like Rosario batting 9th.
My lineup
Nimmo CF
McNeil 3B
Cespedes DH
Alonso 1B
Comforto RF
Cano 2B
Ramos C
Davis LF
Rosario SS

I would love to move Cano down to 7 or 8 but they won't do that. And I put Davis in front of Rosario instead of Ramos so the base in front of our best base runner isn't clogged with the slowest man in BB
And even though Cano isn't worth the money- he can still be a very solid bat.
Too bad we lost Noah- if we had him, our team would be built for a short season

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
The DH in the NL will be fun. In some ways, does it hurt the Mets with their SP's being the best group of hitting P's in the league. Yeah- a DH will hit better than any group of pitchers but the Mets actually had an advantage there.
But, let's say Cesp become the full time DH and is healthy and playing for a contract...He may be the best possible DH in the league.
So now, makes the lineup pretty damn good from top to bottom when you have a guy like Rosario batting 9th.
My lineup
Nimmo CF
McNeil 3B
Cespedes DH
Alonso 1B
Comforto RF
Cano 2B
Ramos C
Davis LF
Rosario SS

I would love to move Cano down to 7 or 8 but they won't do that. And I put Davis in front of Rosario instead of Ramos so the base in front of our best base runner isn't clogged with the slowest man in BB
And even though Cano isn't worth the money- he can still be a very solid bat.
Too bad we lost Noah- if we had him, our team would be built for a short season
I saw this one speculated on NJ.com

Here’s how the Mets’ regular lineup could look this summer.

1. Brandon Nimmo, CF

2. Jeff McNeil, 3B

3. Pete Alonso, 1B

4. Michael Conforto, RF

5. J.D. Davis, LF

6. Yoenis Cespedes, DH

7. Robinson Cano, 2B

8. Wilson Ramos, C

9. Amed Rosario, SS

A lot of the fun for me in baseball is the long season. The roster decisions, the call ups, bullpen management, and all that smaller stuff that we harp on and cut into detail every day. With the short season it really takes a lot of wind out of my baseball sails. By the time the SP can really start to rip it up the season will be over.

I saw this one speculated on NJ.com

Here’s how the Mets’ regular lineup could look this summer.

1. Brandon Nimmo, CF

2. Jeff McNeil, 3B

3. Pete Alonso, 1B

4. Michael Conforto, RF

5. J.D. Davis, LF

6. Yoenis Cespedes, DH

7. Robinson Cano, 2B

8. Wilson Ramos, C

9. Amed Rosario, SS
I’m ok with this too but need to have someone else in front of Rosario. I want a guy that can go 1st to 3rd, score on a double or plain and simple, not limit our only speed on the team

Just invested $50 at 22-1 for world series win. Great investment as I can watch until they are eliminated with no further outlay. I think. $$$$

Wont say a word until the Wilpons are OFFICIALLY OUT of the Mets organization completely.
According to current reports, Wilpons will sell this year, because they must. They are in bad financial shape. Forbes is reporting that in 2019, they had to invoke a $15MM capital call to their minority investors, just to keep the lights on. And you know this year will be far worse.

I do not know who will buy this team. But whoever does, will get it at a very sweet COVID-19 discount.

According to current reports, Wilpons will sell this year, because they must. They are in bad financial shape. Forbes is reporting that in 2019, they had to invoke a $15MM capital call to their minority investors, just to keep the lights on. And you know this year will be far worse.

I do not know who will buy this team. But whoever does, will get it at a very sweet COVID-19 discount.
It's a shame the Coupons were able to hold onto the Mets so long. They weaseled their way in as minority owners back in the 80s. I know the last statement isn't true, but it sure feels like it. There is no reason why this organization shouldn't be competitive most years.

For the Coupons, it's about owning the Mets for status reasons even when you don't have the money. To me, the Coupons were one step above the fool that faked out the NHL and Islanders into thinking he could buy the team.

Imagine losing a billion dollars because you wanted to keep your weasel son involved with the team for 5 extra years. It's really incredible.

Saul Katz should sue.

Until its official...

And this is proof that they are asshats financially as the report says that they may lose $1B+ because they're stupid in thinking that others throw money away like they wanted Cohen to do.

They're still not including SNY either where they hide all the money they actually make. The books are so cooked for the Mets and baseball in general that's it's laughable when they say they don't make money.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Until its official...

And this is proof that they are asshats financially as the report says that they may lose $1B+ because they're stupid in thinking that others throw money away like they wanted Cohen to do.
I think that is harsh. Cohen told them (and told us too!) that he was ready and willing to throw money away. Then he came to his senses at the 11th hour. Then came COVID-19 which no one could have anticipated at that particular moment.

Unless Cohen was playing the Wilpons and had no intention of ever doing the deal at the stated terms. Just setting them up for the bait-and-switch? That we may never know.

They're still not including SNY either where they hide all the money they actually make. The books are so cooked for the Mets and baseball in general that's it's laughable when they say they don't make money.
At this point, any deal for the Mets is worthless without SNY.
Can someone explain how the Mets are not profitable?

Reactions: tico brown

They are profitable but the Mets part of it has all the debt including the stadium, payroll, etc and they don't offset with the money they make from SNY because they keep that as a separate entity. If you were to combine them they make money.

Last edited:
Sure, it's quite simple. Big market teams make a good chunk of their income from local TV deals. Without that income they are not profitable. However, the Mets (like the Yankees) are different. Technically the Mets get zero income from their local TV deal. SNY keeps it all. So the Mets are not profitable. That doesn't mean the Wilpons are not profitable, but their profit comes from their equity stake in SNY, not from their equity stake in the Mets.

Per Wikipedia, the value of the Mets was estimated in 2013 to be $2.1B. Of that, the majority ($1.2B) of the value was estimated to pertain to the SNY equity stake. In other words, the Mets without SNY were worth $900M.

So, the Mets are NOT literally worthless without SNY. It's quite possible that the Wilpons will sell the Mets and keep SNY, although the sale price will be heavily discounted. Three factors to be considered:
  • SNY's rights to broadcast the Mets has an expiration date. 2032 I think. A buyer may be willing to accept losses in the meantime.
  • If you are a prospective Mets purchaser, and your motivation is financial, income is not your concern. Capital appreciation is. No purchaser of an MLB franchise has been disappointed so far. Maybe the bubble will burst someday, but it hasn't yet. Because...
  • There is no greater status symbol than owning an MLB franchise. The club is restricted to 30 members. That's out of a world population of 7.8 billion. Pretty exclusive, no? SOMEBODY is always willing to pay this price, and view annual losses as their very expensive membership dues.

Sure, it's quite simple. Big market teams make a good chunk of their income from local TV deals. Without that income they are not profitable. However, the Mets (like the Yankees) are different. Technically the Mets get zero income from their local TV deal. SNY keeps it all. So the Mets are not profitable. That doesn't mean the Wilpons are not profitable, but their profit comes from their equity stake in SNY, not from their equity stake in the Mets.

Per Wikipedia, the value of the Mets was estimated in 2013 to be $2.1B. Of that, the majority ($1.2B) of the value was estimated to pertain to the SNY equity stake. In other words, the Mets without SNY were worth $900M.

So, the Mets are NOT literally worthless without SNY. It's quite possible that the Wilpons will sell the Mets and keep SNY, although the sale price will be heavily discounted. Three factors to be considered:
  • SNY's rights to broadcast the Mets has an expiration date. 2032 I think. A buyer may be willing to accept losses in the meantime.
  • If you are a prospective Mets purchaser, and your motivation is financial, income is not your concern. Capital appreciation is. No purchaser of an MLB franchise has been disappointed so far. Maybe the bubble will burst someday, but it hasn't yet. Because...
  • There is no greater status symbol than owning an MLB franchise. The club is restricted to 30 members. That's out of a world population of 7.8 billion. Pretty exclusive, no? SOMEBODY is always willing to pay this price, and view annual losses as their very expensive membership dues.
The Wilpons were too cheap to create a network on their own. They needed most of the money from established TV partners to get it up and running. Is that part of the reason they won't or can't sell the station along with the Mets? Or they are just greedy, power-hungry, and want to be associated with the Mets in some capacity?

The Wilpons were too cheap to create a network on their own. They needed most of the money from established TV partners to get it up and running. Is that part of the reason they won't or can't sell the station along with the Mets? Or they are just greedy, power-hungry, and want to be associated with the Mets in some capacity?
Wilpons own 65% of SNY.

I do believe that ultimately, Wilpons will include their SNY stake as part of the sale. However, for the reasons I mentioned, I would not be shocked if someone is willing to buy the Mets without SNY - if the price is right.

Looking back, the Cohen deal seemed too good to be true. $2.6 BILLION for what?
  • 80% (not 100%) ownership stake
  • 0% ownership stake in SNY
  • Five year phase-in before he gets to run things.
That offer was cray-cray. Especially since Cohen wasn't bidding against anybody! Eventually he came to his senses.

When the dust settles, I would not be surprised if Cohen emerges as the owner - on HIS terms. And the Wilpons will be kicking themselves for not waiving the five year phase-in. If they had, the deal may have been done. They'll never see an offer that sweet again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT