ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ Hiking Trails

Anyone have any experience with the Batona Trial in south Jersey?
Looking at a race for next year that is the full 55 mile trail.
Seems like it is pretty flat the entire way and not too difficult.
Hiked some of it last spring, not difficult at all. I want to hike the whole trail while doing some disperse camping, make a long weekend out of it.

Anyone have any experience with the Batona Trial in south Jersey?
Looking at a race for next year that is the full 55 mile trail.
Seems like it is pretty flat the entire way and not too difficult.
Nope, sorry. You might see the Jersey Devil though. He's been spotted there. Lol

Reactions: RUReadyD
Speaking of that, my wife is urging me to "unretire" for a spell, gear up, and hit the trail around NC/TN in search of the $200k man, aka Brian Laundrie. He's been "spotted" around Boone and nearby areas of the AT. I suspect, however, he's likely already in Meh-hee-co.

While looking for Lundrie search crews found nine bodies. I think too many criminals and mental people have been gravitating to popular trails. Occupy and other "protests" devolved becaause of them. Locally (in Harriman) the lean-tos get full of whack-jobs doing drugs, feeding bears, leaving trash/graffiti, unleashing their battle dogs etc. I avoid all the popular spots until its winter

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WLNE)- During the nationwide manhunts for Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie, search crews found nine bodies.

While looking for Lundrie search crews found nine bodies. I think too many criminals and mental people have been gravitating to popular trails. Occupy and other "protests" devolved becaause of them. Locally (in Harriman) the lean-tos get full of whack-jobs doing drugs, feeding bears, leaving trash/graffiti, unleashing their battle dogs etc. I avoid all the popular spots until its winter

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WLNE)- During the nationwide manhunts for Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie, search crews found nine bodies.
All sorts of folks out there, yes. But that's always been the case. They tend to be opportunists, not hiking much, and hang around less popular trailheads and nearby shelters. Best to plan for it. Although I typically hike alone, I always recommend folks hike with a buddy or two.

Reactions: Jm0513
Hiked up The Timp and Bald Mountain yesterday, 8.3 miles altogether with great views of the Hudson River area. Only negative was coming down Bald Mountain at the end, the trail (Doodletown I think) was nothing but huge chunks of rock hidden by leaves which made every possible step an ankle breaker, it was easier to actually climb as we did start on it at the beginning before we broke off on the Timp trail. Came across a cool cave.

Here is a view from top of Bald Mountain at the Hudson and the Bear Mountain bridge crossing it:

255812546_323536152559800_6810939113394008166_n.jpg

Hiked up The Timp and Bald Mountain yesterday, 8.3 miles altogether with great views of the Hudson River area. Only negative was coming down Bald Mountain at the end, the trail (Doodletown I think) was nothing but huge chunks of rock hidden by leaves which made every possible step an ankle breaker, it was easier to actually climb as we did start on it at the beginning before we broke off on the Timp trail. Came across a cool cave.

Here is a view from top of Bald Mountain at the Hudson and the Bear Mountain bridge crossing it:

LOL. Rocks hidden by leaves is pretty much SOP in NJ-NY. I completed the 74-miles of the AT in NJ the week after the Wisc game. The rock-covered leaves made for slow going at times. No way around it. We did have a spectacular week of weather. Did it in five days, from the State Line Trail off Greenwood Lake, NY, to the Town of Delaware Water Gap, PA. Even did a side trail to the site of the old family cabin, which was taken away for the Tocks Island Dam project that never happened.

Reactions: borochop and Jm0513
LOL. Rocks hidden by leaves is pretty much SOP in NJ-NY. I completed the 74-miles of the AT in NJ the week after the Wisc game. The rock-covered leaves made for slow going at times. No way around it. We did have a spectacular week of weather. Did it in five days, from the State Line Trail off Greenwood Lake, NY, to the Town of Delaware Water Gap, PA. Even did a side trail to the site of the old family cabin, which was taken away for the Tocks Island Dam project that never happened.
I know the trails of NJ-NY and I'm not talking about a few rocks, these are rocks topped on top of other rocks, and not securely at all and for a good distance, it took forever.

Reactions: RUinPinehurst

Forgot how rocky eastern trails are. Was in NJ last week and decided to do a run on the trails I grew up biking. Much more jagged rock than I remembered, hard on the knees. Made my usual trails in the Rockies seem downright cushy.

Think I'd buy those Hoka moon shoes if I were running regularly out there.

Forgot how rocky eastern trails are. Was in NJ last week and decided to do a run on the trails I grew up biking. Much more jagged rock than I remembered, hard on the knees. Made my usual trails in the Rockies seem downright cushy.

Think I'd buy those Hoka moon shoes if I were running regularly out there.
I wear Hoka Speed Goats. They wear out after 400 miles, but super comfy.

Reactions: fsg2

Lots of timber rattlers over that way
Rocks might not be the worst thing under those leaves lol
Nice pic

• Wow
I forgot about Hartshorne Woods -- it's one of those places that, you could live in the area forever, and never know it's there. And then you go, and then you get lost, and then they find you eaten.
Same as miles of trails and paths out past the beaches on Sandy Hook. Was building out a coffee shop out there last year. Most would never know its there.
If you go out there. Check out the lighthouse and stop by to see my man Barney and buy a coffee.

This showed up in my IG feed. Thought followers of this thread may be interested:. https://www.njhiking.com/top-10-hikes-nj/

#5 on that list, the Giant Stairs, is brutal. "Challenging" is an understatement. But starting at the Stateline parking area off the Palisades Interstate you can hike a lot of other trails that are more reasonable and taylor your hike. You can also visit the Women's Federation Monument as part of a trek.

I haven’t done Giant Stairs but I want to check it out. I’ve heard it’s hard from multiple sources, but it looks like it’s only about 1,000 ft of elevation. If you hike the ADK 46ers or the NE 111 that’s not really notable.

#5 on that list, the Giant Stairs, is brutal. "Challenging" is an understatement. But starting at the Stateline parking area off the Palisades Interstate you can hike a lot of other trails that are more reasonable and taylor your hike. You can also visit the Women's Federation Monument as part of a trek.

I haven’t done Giant Stairs but I want to check it out. I’ve heard it’s hard from multiple sources, but it looks like it’s only about 1,000 ft of elevation. If you hike the ADK 46ers or the NE 111 that’s not really notable.
I have traumatic flashbacks and nightmares about those stairs.

Elevation is not the issue. Look at the picture. There's about a mile of that terrain.

Elevation is not the issue. Look at the picture. There's about a mile of that terrain.
Interesting. Like I said, I'll give it a shot when I free up some time. I am currently working my way through the Whites so maybe late summer.

Interesting. Like I said, I'll give it a shot when I free up some time. I am currently working my way through the Whites so maybe late summer.

You'll also be right by the Women's Federation Monument, which is reachable by the same trail network that gets you to the Giant Stairs. About 20 yards from the edge of the Palisades. No as demanding but fun.

https://www.njpalisades.org/womens.html

Granted, it’s a bit north, but I hiked Hunter Mountain yesterday. It was pretty much an elevator up/down, and you needed micro spikes the last 1/2 because pure ice. But, still a good way to start the new year. Hope others got a chance to get outside.

Finally got to do Mt Tammany yesterday. Did Red trail to Blue. Could not imagine doing the rock scrambles on Red going downhill.

Really nice day did it with our dogs who had no problem at all going up the scrambles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT