ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ Hiking Trails

Late to the thread- did you hike that day?

There are some really great hiking trails in Allaire State Park. Main trailhead is on Hospital Road, but it can be busy with Mountain Bikers. On the other side of the main parking lot, there is a trail that leads to the dinosaurs--that may have been covered in this thread. There are also some decent trails across from the historic part of Allaire State Park on Atlantic Ave that loop around the old Brisbane Child Treatment Center.

Out near the disc golf course and campground on Atlantic Ave, there are some trails that lead to an old stone and railroad tie bridge over a creek.
Nope, I did not go that day.
I will have to check out some of these trails when it gets cooler. We took a hiking hiatus the end of June.
I watched a docu called Missing 411- The Hunted and got spooked Bigfoot would get me. Lmaoooo

• Haha
Reactions: newell138
Question for RUinPinehurst:

Please explain the logistics of a 5 day AT hike. Does someone leave a car for you at the expected end point or do you Uber back to start? Do you hike with someone and shuttle cars which would mean lots of driving?

I’m looking to do exactly what you are but not sure of logistics. I’ve already done all of NJ, NY and CN and most of PA. Now I need to get further away from NJ and can’t count of the wife to drop off AND pickup.

Thank you

No it wasn’t covered in this thread. I tagged you but you decided to blow me off. O and My God was it hot out there today. I decided to call it quits before someone keeled over and died. Mainly me.
I think I was in exile a that time, taking a break from the _ _ _ _ _ vitriol on these board (_ _ _ _ _ being the word that cannot be uttered on these boards), and I was riding the dinosaurs. I plan to ride tomorrow and/or Friday. It's nice under the canopy of trees, and I'll try to finish up before 10 a.m.

Reactions: Jm0513
Why was that kid hiking at 10 PM anyways?
That stuck me as strange as well, but I don't know the hiking path they were on either, it could be pretty open and moon light helped with seeing the trails or they had flashlights, are maybe they were squatching!

I will have to check out some of these trails when it gets cooler. We took a hiking hiatus the end of June.
I watched a docu called Missing 411- The Hunted and got spooked Bigfoot would get me. Lmaoooo
Scariest things you will see at Allaire:
Wild foxes and wild turkeys hiding in the brush. And @koleszar chasing after me for the profits I made on his wrestling tickets out by the dinosaurs.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: koleszar and Jm0513
Scariest things you will see at Allaire:
Wild foxes and wild turkeys hiding in the brush. And @koleszar chasing after me for the profits I made on his wrestling tickets out by the dinosaurs.
If you can find the stream on the west side, they can be pretty creepy, it's tucked in a little valley and little daylight gets through to it.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Question for RUinPinehurst:

Please explain the logistics of a 5 day AT hike. Does someone leave a car for you at the expected end point or do you Uber back to start? Do you hike with someone and shuttle cars which would mean lots of driving?

I’m looking to do exactly what you are but not sure of logistics. I’ve already done all of NJ, NY and CN and most of PA. Now I need to get further away from NJ and can’t count of the wife to drop off AND pickup.

Thank you

I've been driving north along the trail in VA this summer, typically parking my vehicle at secured parking areas, usually at hostels, where you might may a couple dollars a day. And then I'd arrange a shuttle to take me from the hostel/parking to the trailhead.

There are quite a few hostels along the trail that provide parking, as do many other hiker-friendly businesses and motels, etc. Also many shuttle services that typically charge $1.50 per mile. In larger towns, there's always Uber/Lyft.

I rely on an app called "Guthook Guides" for the AT. It gives you a detailed trail map including water sources, shelters, tent areas, etc. as well as details on just about every other support resource you would need such as lodging, food resupplies, laundry, shuttles, and so on. The app also allows hikers to add comments for every category, so you get near real-time updates on anything from bear activity, to water availability, etc. I also have a paper AT Guide as backup.

You can look at a few online resources, too, that provide shuttle info including a PDF list. I'll see if I can find a link to post here.

As it happens, I'm heading out tomorrow to meet an old RU roommate from NJ. We'll hike the AT portion of the Shenandoah National Park, just about 45 miles, over a few days. I'll stick around when we're done to solo at least another week. Still aiming to complete the trail up to Harper's Ferry by end of summer.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to post here. I'll check back while on the trail.

Edit... Some resources:

Last edited:
Nasty.

Been a lot of snakes down on trails because of drought. Not nearly as many rattlers as last year, but a lot of gopher snakes that have a very similar color pattern - only more rectangular than diamond (which you can't make out from afar). Nearly had a heart attack when I ran right on top of one with my bike because I couldn't stop in time. Huge sigh of relief when it slithered into the brush without an ear-piercing rattle and I eyed the squares and no rattle tail.
A handful or so years ago was biking on an unpaved section of the "greenway" that runs through Metuchen, Edison, and Fords. The section behind Saint Joes in Metuchen, and on into Edison, is the unpaved part and the first time I was riding down it, I came across a hole across the path, kind of like a mini-crevasse of sorts.

It was maybe only like 3 feet across, and not very deep. I glanced in and saw a rock shelf of sorts about 2 or so feet down. So I figured I'd just step down to the shelf, carrying the bike, then step back up on the other side. No big deal.

Except, just as I was about to step down, a loud unmistakable rattle sounded and I realized there was a rattlesnake on the rock shelf. I'd heard there were some in the mountains in NJ, but didn't realize they existed in crowded suburban areas too. Scared the piss out of me due to how close I had come to stepping right on it.

Needless to say, I found another way across the gap. And I've skipped riding that path since. I'm hearing it's going to be paved soon anyway.

Reactions: Ronnie_B and fsg2
Well, if you're looking for protection while hiking, I'm volunteering. 😉

• Haha
A handful or so years ago was biking on an unpaved section of the "greenway" that runs through Metuchen, Edison, and Fords. The section behind Saint Joes in Metuchen, and on into Edison, is the unpaved part and the first time I was riding down it, I came across a hole across the path, kind of like a mini-crevasse of sorts.

It was maybe only like 3 feet across, and not very deep. I glanced in and saw a rock shelf of sorts about 2 or so feet down. So I figured I'd just step down to the shelf, carrying the bike, then step back up on the other side. No big deal.

Except, just as I was about to step down, a loud unmistakable rattle sounded and I realized there was a rattlesnake on the rock shelf. I'd heard there were some in the mountains in NJ, but didn't realize they existed in crowded suburban areas too. Scared the piss out of me due to how close I had come to stepping right on it.

Needless to say, I found another way across the gap. And I've skipped riding that path since. I'm hearing it's going to be paved soon anyway.

I will never get used to that sound- startling af every time. I often mistake other animals rustling through bushes and leaves for rattlers, but there's no mistaking a rattler for something else.

Reactions: mildone

You're more more likely to see them if there's a drought. Going back 50 years and they caught a few in the summer camp I went to in Mahwah. Mahwah had about 1/3 the population it has now. They have warning signs about Copperheads at the State Line area off the Palisades, but I've never seen one there.

I'm going to be free camping for 10 days in the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state starting nexg weekend, will be my second time there in three years, great place to do hiking.

I'm going to be free camping for 10 days in the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state starting nexg weekend, will be my second time there in three years, great place to do hiking.

Lotsa black bear thar.... Use a bear canister to secure your food and scented items while tenting.

Reactions: Ronnie_B
This will be my fourth straight year camping out in Washington state, the other two times were in the area of Mount Rainier.

I will never get used to that sound- startling af every time. I often mistake other animals rustling through bushes and leaves for rattlers, but there's no mistaking a rattler for something else.
I was very glad for the snake’s unique warning device. Any other kind of snake and I’d have stepped right down on or near it, as it was somewhat hidden in the shadows. I instantly knew what it was although I still, probably stupidly, leaned over the hole and looked in to confirm before choosing a different way by.

That ride was also the first time I’d seen a fox in the wild (I.e. not on TV or in a zoo), a little ways farther along the trail after the snake pit.

That ride was also the first time I’d seen a fox in the wild (I.e. not on TV or in a zoo), a little ways farther along the trail after the snake pit.

Playing the Bergen County Course at Rockleigh some years back during the early evening I saw a fox (4 legged variety) on the fairways a few times. Often not far from a flock of Canada Geece.

That’s awesome, just spent 3 days in the park there but just did day hikes and stayed in Sequim, neat little town. Wife is done with camping… have a great time, beautiful place.

Reactions: Ronnie_B
Umm.. I just read your post in the Peach Thread. No thanks!
The whole shower once per week thing not working for you? I mean, I could maybe be talked into twice per week, if I knew I was gonna be hiking with someone. And I'm very disciplined about it; I shower once per week whether I need it or not. 😉

See the thing about not showering is that deer and other animals are offended by all the harsh scents we humans use when washing. By not showering, the animals are less put off by our presence and will hike alongside us.

• Haha
Let me tell you a story about two young boys, with a Tupperware container, trying to catch a Copperhead till their Mom came outside the Cabin. Those were not good times.
Hope some hides got tanned. And I don't mean copperhead hides.

Hope some hides got tanned. And I don't mean copperhead hides.
Let's just say the wrath incurred, it might have been better to get bitten by the snake. Mom broke a wooden spoon over my brother's ass and I started dying laughing. She said, "what are you laughing at?" Then out came the metal spoon, I clamed up right quick. We still reminisce about that story to this day. She still defends herself with, a 4'9" single mom with two roughhouse boys had to do what she had to do to keep you in line.

Reactions: RUSK97
v77WJc9.jpg
saw this at the hair salon..niece?? @zappaa

Planning an AT NJ hiking trip (either before or after the Wisc game) with the old RU gang. We'll be hiking that 75-mile section over a few days, likely basing the operation out of Culver Lake. To make it accessible to as many as possible, we'll approach it as day hikes, although a few want to tent overnight for the experience. Funny, via word of mouth/text, seems like a lot of folks coming forward expressing interest in supporting the hikers. Lining up to be a "cushy" five days of hiking. Not used to being pampered. LOL....

ZVHxiT7.jpg

My hiking buddy is nervous to go out in the woods. I told her we will bring a machete. Hope they find this f*cker.

Reactions: goru1869
ZVHxiT7.jpg

My hiking buddy is nervous to go out in the woods. I told her we will bring a machete. Hope they find this f*cker.

Hiking near populated areas is always complicated. Those trail access points always seem to attract opportunists and transients and such. Long distance hikers always avoid planning to tent near those areas. Women hikers are always advised to hike in groups for that reason.

Speaking of that, my wife is urging me to "unretire" for a spell, gear up, and hit the trail around NC/TN in search of the $200k man, aka Brian Laundrie. He's been "spotted" around Boone and nearby areas of the AT. I suspect, however, he's likely already in Meh-hee-co.

Finished hiking the AT thru NJ yesterday, having started Sunday at the NY border via the State Line Trail from Greenwood Lake, finishing in the town of Delaware Water Gap, PA. WoooHoooo! Terrific weather. Longest day was Tuesday at 19 miles. Even visited (bushwhacked to) the family's old cabin site above Lake Success, too, maybe 1000-yards off the trail. Nice outing with four old RU friends. NJ was not easy, despite relatively lesser elevation gain-loss throughout the 74-miles of trail. Lots of rocks. Leaf-covered. Not a single bear encounter.

Finished hiking the AT thru NJ yesterday, having started Sunday at the NY border via the State Line Trail from Greenwood Lake, finishing in the town of Delaware Water Gap, PA. WoooHoooo! Terrific weather. Longest day was Tuesday at 19 miles. Even visited (bushwhacked to) the family's old cabin site above Lake Success, too, maybe 1000-yards off the trail. Nice outing with four old RU friends. NJ was not easy, despite relatively lesser elevation gain-loss throughout the 74-miles of trail. Lots of rocks. Leaf-covered. Not a single bear encounter.
That's amazing.
What's next for you?

That's amazing.
What's next for you?
Driving back to NC. I'll do local hikes in western NC over the late fall and winter. Will resume the AT early spring. With this NJ section, I completed just over 900 miles last year and this year. The RU gang really enjoyed it, participating by varying degrees. Great time. They were already planning next year's hike week. And promise to do more prep work/training next time. 😉

Anyone have any experience with the Batona Trial in south Jersey?
Looking at a race for next year that is the full 55 mile trail.
Seems like it is pretty flat the entire way and not too difficult.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT