ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ Hiking Trails

Another from Lockwood
Ahh.. I prefer weekdays when it is quiet on most trails. I'm fortunate enough to have afternoons free and can be in nature til evening and then I'm home to make late dinners.
It's amazing how being outdoors soothes the soul.

Reactions: goru1869
I dont know if anyone has mentioned this, but next weekend I'm going on a staycation to Crystal Springs..
I plan to be outdoors the 2 days. Has anyone hiked this? I'm going alone, so if you never see me post again check here...
"This 4 mile hike takes you along an elevated wooden trail over the Pochuck Creek marsh and crosses over the creek along a suspension bridge. Afterwards, the Appalachian Trail enters the largest protected limestone forest in Vernon Township with several century old trees and rare wildflowers. This section of the trail is popular and frequented by thousands of visitors every year."

I dont know if anyone has mentioned this, but next weekend I'm going on a staycation to Crystal Springs..
I plan to be outdoors the 2 days. Has anyone hiked this? I'm going alone, so if you never see me post again check here...
"This 4 mile hike takes you along an elevated wooden trail over the Pochuck Creek marsh and crosses over the creek along a suspension bridge. Afterwards, the Appalachian Trail enters the largest protected limestone forest in Vernon Township with several century old trees and rare wildflowers. This section of the trail is popular and frequented by thousands of visitors every year."
Be safe and enjoy. Please post next Monday so we know you survived. The limestone forest sounds cool.

Reactions: Jm0513
Well!?

Reactions: Jm0513 and RUDead
Was rejuvenating! Thanks
R8utUbF.jpg

Not the actual forest I was in^ lol

Reactions: RutHut
Aww you jealous he doesn't do a welfare check on you? 🤣

Nah, I have family for that. And S&R.

My bad, I read the first part of your trip plan post, then left to Google Crystal Springs. Didn't see the rest where you joked about going missing.

Apologies to @RutHut.

Last edited:
Reactions: RutHut and Jm0513
Nah, I have family for that. And S&R.

My bad, I read the first part of your trip plan post, then left to Google Crystal Springs. Didn't see the rest where you joked about going missing.

Apologies to @RutHut.
I was low key hoping the Blair Witch would get me. No such luck.

Reactions: fsg2
Just went to High Mountain Park.
WTF is this? Way too rocky and that hill..I'm dying.. hahah @DJ Spanky
LdUypgJ.jpg

Last edited:
Just went to High Point Mountain.
WTF is this? Way too rocky and that hill..I'm dying.. hahah
If you take the Yellow trail up to High Point, yeah, that's steep and rocky. But the other trails aren't as strenuous as that.

If you take the Yellow trail up to High Point, yeah, that's steep and rocky. But the other trails aren't as strenuous as that.
I wanted to see the big star they have displayed and the view. Lol never again

Obviously Stokes and High Point are about as good as you get in NJ. If you don't want to drive that far you have to try Mahlon Dickerson Reservation. Great terrain hiking (highest point in Morris County at 1400 feet) and you can find relatively flat trails. It's located in Jefferson. It's contiguous with several WMAs so when you put them together it's enormous
Afterward you can eat directly on Lake Hopatcong at the Windlass or Stone Water. There are others but these are the two best
BTW the best kept secret of it is that the camping is great. There are 8 tent campsites there. Spaced nicely far apart. The flush toilets and showers are impeccably clean. It's run by Morris County (they do a great job) so you can bring a dog. Just be very careful with your food due to the bears. One time I dropped all my stuff and went to a nearby grocery store and left my dog food on the tent platform. When I got back everyone was standing around watching a bear literally sitting upright eating it

Last edited:
Where did you enter the trails? Ya should have told me you were going, I would have waved as you went by.
Yes, next time I'll look for the wave!
Univeristy Drive Entrance(??)We put it in navi and that's where it lead us. Not a soul there. Just how I like it.

Yes, next time I'll look for the wave!
Univeristy Drive Entrance(??)We put it in navi and that's where it lead us. Not a soul there. Just how I like it.
Gotcha, that's up by William Paterson. About halfway down on the Red Trail between the entrance and the branch to the Yellow Trail is where we come in. We just walk up the hill behind our house and it takes about 10-12 minutes to get to the Red Trail.

Not sure if anyone posted this but it is great: Stairway to Heaven. Two parts to the hike; one is through a boardwalk hike through cow pastures, meadows and over railroad tracks and suspension bridges. The other half is up a steep rocky terrain.

Was just there and it was beautiful. Still had some ice and I'm clumsy at times...lol
When I got back everyone was standing around watching a bear literally sitting upright eating it
Uh oh...I'd probably try to hand him some Kale
🤣 🤣

It was pretty embarrassing. The ranger was there and gave me a lecture. I definitely know better because I live 2 miles away and we have bears in the neighborhood weekly. Plus my dog was freaking out in the car so it was like I had a rabid dog

Suggestions please..🍃 I have hiked Mills, South Mountain, Palisades Interstate Park, Watchung Reservation (plus a bunch of others) and I'm bored.
I need some new scenery and variety.
Many of us are in different parts of NJ, so I figure this is the best place for feedback.
I use the app All Trails. It's pretty helpful.

Ever try high mountain? Assortment of trails ranging in difficulty...yellow is the toughest. Connects to reservoir in franklin lakes with even more trails. Get in the trail at Willie P. It's one of my favorites.

Obviously Stokes and High Point are about as good as you get in NJ. If you don't want to drive that far you have to try Mahlon Dickerson Reservation. Great terrain hiking (highest point in Morris County at 1400 feet) and you can find relatively flat trails. It's located in Jefferson. It's contiguous with several WMAs so when you put them together it's enormous
Afterward you can eat directly on Lake Hopatcong at the Windlass or Stone Water. There are others but these are the two best
BTW the best kept secret of it is that the camping is great. There are 8 tent campsites there. Spaced nicely far apart. The flush toilets and showers are impeccably clean. It's run by Morris County (they do a great job) so you can bring a dog. Just be very careful with your food due to the bears. One time I dropped all my stuff and went to a nearby grocery store and left my dog food on the tent platform. When I got back everyone was standing around watching a bear literally sitting upright eating it

Don't forget the pad locks.

Ever try high mountain? Assortment of trails ranging in difficulty...yellow is the toughest. Connects to reservoir in franklin lakes with even more trails. Get in the trail at Willie P. It's one of my favorites.
Just went yesterday. University Drive entrance. That's where I saw the creepy stuffed bear hanging in the tree.(I posted it a few posts up) We did the yellow trail. I liked the mini waterfalls. I also liked the fact I couldn't hear any road noise, only nature. I felt I was deep in the forest. Lol I told my friend if someone was chasing us I'd just lay down and let them kill me cause I couldn't run. Haha
The climb to the top was rough,(forgot my agua) but the view made up for it. My ankles hurt today because there were tons of rocks. I think I need better boots.
I can't wait to go back when the trees are filled with green and to picnic!

Last edited:
Reactions: RutHut
Ohh Heyyy!! He wouldn't let me pet him...
UJLngTI.jpg
edit: my friend said dont touch lmao

Last edited:
This rattle snake, copperhead sign is at the base of Terrace Pond.
Are they located at other hiking areas also?
I haven’t seen one
SYFx9vI.jpg

Norvin Green State Forest
Didn't see any snakes though.

This place. Wow. Wyanokie High Point. Bloomingdale/ Ringwood(?) I haven't checked my steps, but it felt like a million. Very rocky, rough terrain. High elevation too. This is actually at the top. The picture is deceiving.
I'll never go back.
cFQWQXT.jpg

8lFokIZ.jpg

I have lived and hiked/biked in north, central and south Jersey. My favorite place to hike is Norvin Green State Forest up near Wanaque Reservoir. It has everything you love in a hike. Well marked trails, multiple trails, quiet woods, boulders, caves, streams and waterfalls, and a beautiful vista where you can see the entire reservoir and NYC skyline

cde791d6dd3475cee6d8fc2e8092f214.jpg

norvin-03.JPG
Everything a person wants PLUS really, really, really big spiders.
This was not an easy hike. Wind, rain, we somehow got off our trail and walked 4hrs straight. I fell flat on my face, I think I fractured my rib.
Lol

This was not an easy hike. Wind, rain, we somehow got off our trail and walked 4hrs straight. I fell flat on my face, I think I fractured my rib.
Lol
Battle wounds make the beers taste better ; )

Reactions: goru1869 and Jm0513
Lol
If you went today your lucky you didn’t get hit with a stray tree branch. IDK about up there but it’s windy as hell down here today

If you went today your lucky you didn’t get hit with a stray tree branch. IDK about up there but it’s windy as hell down here today
It was really windy. It sounded so eerie. We were also the only people there it seemed. I must have said "Is this real life?" ten times. Lol
It's beautiful there no doubt about it. It just felt really long and as if no end was in sight. haha

Last edited:
FYI -- tomorrow (Saturday, May 1), is Red Dog Day @ the Readington Bison Farm. I think it's more family oriented, but they will have local beer at their little on-site bar, craft vendors, and bison burgers. May give it a look-see.

AT in PA does suck. Lots of rock gardens. As you get closer to where the trail hits Maryland(down near gettysburg) it gets better and there are some really nice stretches on either side of the half way point.

People have been losing their taste for the AT. People call it "the green tunnel" because the trail goes through leafy woods without a lot of big views. Then there is the humidity, ticks, bums, mental patients, mosquitoes etc. The western hikes in mountains are getting more popular. Those hikes are more scenic and open. I had enough of the local AT (near Bear Mt) to know I dont want more but I respect the people who can do the whole thing. A gal made a video of her trek and I saw it last week and thought it was one of the better hike vids

Into the Wild: My Journey on the Appalachian Trail​

ADVERTISEMENT