ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ playing catch up in the Craft Beer business.

The new one. It's a wonderful place! Agree they are the top South Jersey brewery.
They make good lagers too. Next trip will try the Belgian brews they make.
At my store I sell more Freshies then Fuego which isn't the norm. But sell a lot of both. Freshies is my #1 selling six pack.
Can't wait to return!
You have a liquor store?

I visited the brewery roughly five years ago and was speaking with one of the employees there about the Exit Series. She said that when they started it, they thought it would take only a couple years but then it dragged on for about a decade and became more of a chore for them and they were looking forward to being done with it. It seemed backwards to me because many of them were vastly superior to their usual beers as you mentioned. I still have my complete collection of exit series bottles. The blueberry braggot was Exit 3. Exit 4 was actually their first one, an American tripel, and it is still one of my favorites of that style. I used to drink a lot of Exit 4 and Exit 16 (wild rice double IPA) during Devils playoff games because they're from NJ and it takes 4 games to win a round and 16 to win the Cup.
That does seem like a very backwards way of thinking. Totally agree about the exit beers being better than their usual beers

I guess I was missremembering about the exit 3 and 4. Whoops. I seem to recall the exit 1 being a oyster stout? I liked that one too

You have a liquor store?
Beer and wine buyer for Giant. Home store is based in the No Liberties section of Philadelphia.
In Philly and all of PA there are no stores where you can buy liquor and beer to go at the same place. Wine and spirits shops are controlled/owned by the state.

• Haha
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Beer and wine buyer for Giant. Home store is based in the No Liberties section of Philadelphia.
In Philly and all of PA there are no stores where you can buy liquor and beer to go at the same place. Wine and spirits shops are controlled/owned by the state.
Oh right. Those wacky PA booze laws

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Every state has wacky booze laws. Can you buy beer and wine in every grocery store? Do you get a great selection of craft beer at the 7/11 in Florida?
Wacky in comparison to just over the river in NJ. Not that everything here makes sense either. I just can't imagine having to stop at 2 different stores just to stock up for the weekend

That does seem like a very backwards way of thinking. Totally agree about the exit beers being better than their usual beers

I guess I was missremembering about the exit 3 and 4. Whoops. I seem to recall the exit 1 being a oyster stout? I liked that one too
Yep Exit 1 was an oyster stout, I did like that too. You've made me curious to look at the whole list, most of them were pretty unique, especially for the time they came out...

Exit 1 - Bayshore Oyster Stout
Exit 2 - Rosemary Double IPA
Exit 3 - Blueberry Braggot
Exit 4 - American Trippel
Exit 5 - Pinelands Sour Forage Ale
Exit 6 - Wallonian Rye
Exit 7 - Pork Roll Porter
Exit 8 - Chestnut Brown Ale
Exit 9 - Hoppy Scarlet Ale
Exit 10 - Trail Mix
Exit 11 - Hoppy American Wheat
Exit 12 - Maibock
Exit 13 - Chocolate Stout
Exit 14 - Imperial Pilsner
Exit 15 - Coffee IPA
Exit 16 - Wild Rice Double IPA
Exit 17 - Russian Imperial Stout
Exit 18 - Baltic Porter

Yep Exit 1 was an oyster stout, I did like that too. You've made me curious to look at the whole list, most of them were pretty unique, especially for the time they came out...

Exit 1 - Bayshore Oyster Stout
Exit 2 - Rosemary Double IPA
Exit 3 - Blueberry Braggot
Exit 4 - American Trippel
Exit 5 - Pinelands Sour Forage Ale
Exit 6 - Wallonian Rye
Exit 7 - Pork Roll Porter
Exit 8 - Chestnut Brown Ale
Exit 9 - Hoppy Scarlet Ale
Exit 10 - Trail Mix
Exit 11 - Hoppy American Wheat
Exit 12 - Maibock
Exit 13 - Chocolate Stout
Exit 14 - Imperial Pilsner
Exit 15 - Coffee IPA
Exit 16 - Wild Rice Double IPA
Exit 17 - Russian Imperial Stout
Exit 18 - Baltic Porter
Such a great list of unique beers! It's shame they never truly embraced it. I never got a chance to try them all. If I recall I had 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 11, 16, and 17

Wacky in comparison to just over the river in NJ. Not that everything here makes sense either. I just can't imagine having to stop at 2 different stores just to stock up for the weekend
For me it's never bothered me. I only drink beer, mostly. Plus I can go food shopping and pick up my beer at the same time.
What I found in states like NY and Florida where you can buy beer almost anywhere, like gas stations, is the selection is awful.

By far the worst state I've tried to buy beer in is Utah. I went to a brewery and walked up to their little bar and ordered a beer. They asked if I wanted 32 or 64 oz. I said, "Oh just a pint to have here." Everyone looked at me like I had three heads. Apparently in Utah you can't drink at a brewery, you can only get beer to go.

I stopped at a rest stop that had a walk-in beer fridge. It was all Bud, Coors, etc, so I asked the employee if there was anywhere in town that sold craft beer. She never heard of craft beer. I elaborated, "Like IPAs and stouts..." She goes, "Um I've never heard of those beers so I don't think we have them around here." I did some Googling and it turns out that any beer over 5% ABV can only be sold in a state-run liquor store, of which there are only about 50 throughout the entire state of 85,000 square miles. A perfect example of the big guys using lobbyists and campaign donations to stifle competition from the smaller craft breweries.

Check out this article from My Central Jersey:

A woodland-themed brewery is opening in Hunterdon County next month

"Kean Brewing in Ocean" 🤦🏻

Bobby put out a bunch of good homebrews over the years. Interested to see what he has at the brewery and how it evolves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT