ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJTransit nightmare from last night

Went to the Ranger game last night, game ended around 9:35, just enough time to catch the 9:48 Raritan Valley direct train to Cranford and would have been in my driveway by 10:35, great night, right? 9:48 was cancelled, not enough time to catch the 10p bus out of port authority, so waiting for the 10:48 train. 10 mins later, also canceled. So ended up on a 11pm local bus from port authority to Cranford, walked in my door at 12:30am. Miserable.

overheard people coming in to the game got stuck and didn’t get there until the start of the second period. That also sucks.
Sounds like NJT.

Reactions: gregkoko
You couldn't pay me enough to have to commute into Manhattan every day

Poor quality of life
Truth.
Every year or so, I get wooed to join a pharma company in NYC. This summer was via a friend and former colleague, so I went in to chat with him and the team. Great company, great opportunity, but seriously, one commute in and out and they literally couldn't offer me enough money to ever consider it. That lifestyle is pure misery.

Truth.
Every year or so, I get wooed to join a pharma company in NYC. This summer was via a friend and former colleague, so I went in to chat with him and the team. Great company, great opportunity, but seriously, one commute in and out and they literally couldn't offer me enough money to ever consider it. That lifestyle is pure misery.

A lot of our customers are in NYC. I always tell people I'd rather do a year-long gig across the country than a year of commuting into Manhattan every day. I'm much happier being on a plane twice a week than on a train or bus every day.

A lot of our customers are in NYC. I always tell people I'd rather do a year-long gig across the country than a year of commuting into Manhattan every day. I'm much happier being on a plane twice a week than on a train or bus every day.
Very true. I know a bunch of folks in the consulting world that left NYC to essentially work "remotely" at client offices throughout the country. They are much happier. Not only is NJT awful,but it is going to get much worse over the next 5-10 years. And those new tunnels are no were in sight!

I was stuck and had to Uber it home. I average a trip to the city one day a week for the last ten years. To the poster who stated sarcastically that a tunnel should be built for one delay that happens over many years. That isnt how this works.. I have had numerous cancellations over the years. One out of every four is delayed. Add that up. Hours upon hours of my personal time spent away from family and friends.

The solution to this problem is to live closer to work or find a new job. Both not good options for the state of NJ. Therefore, for those that do not support a new tunnel, you are supporting the decline of your net worth. Maybe you own a home that without your neighbors who work in NYC, your community is not as desirable. Or perhaps you have your own business that I would guess many spend their money earned through employment in NYC.

Or don't think of the bigger picture.
Lost me in the second paragraph.
Living closer to work and or finding a new job are both reasonable options. Know many people who did that and got along just fine. How is that not a good option for the state of NJ? How is not supporting a new tunnel supporting the decline of one's net worth. None of what you say applies to many people.

IIRC, the issue with the last tunnel proposal was that NJ was going to bear an enormously unfair percentage of the cost.

Don't disagree that a new tunnel is needed, but at what cost to NJ's taxpayers when then Feds and NY State don't chip in much at all?

Chris Christie can eat my shorts. That second tunnel would have (or should have, at least) been completed by now.

Bergen County pols should pay for it themselves. Otherwise, how about doing something FOR THE REST OF NEW JERSEY.

You shouldn't have pushed thorough XANADU.. and the GIVE-AWAY to Jets-Giants.. they you could have afforded the tunnel.

Reactions: scripts and redking
NJ transit...penn station...Hoboken
The smell of sweat, body odor, dried urine and third rail...

Gave away $28 billions to the farmers and wasted another $15 billion on a useless wall which could have easily built another tunnel.
I'd rather build another city.. why keep feeding NYC? Let NJ/NY pay for it.. oh.. that's right.. they're broke. GWB was paid for by bonds. Why should feds pay for it so Bergen County pols can cash in on increased land values?

Last edited:
I'd rather build another city.. why keep feeding NYC? Let NJ/NY pay for it.. oh.. that's right.. they're broke. GWB was paid for by bonds. Why should feds pay for it so Bergen County pols can cash in on increased land values?
You do know the tunnels are in Hudson County, correct? There is no easy way to build a tunnel from Bergen County to NYC.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
And I completely agree that we need a new artery into the city. But these 2 statements illustrate not having a plan for the cost overruns:

From 2012:

As long as trump is president he will not give a penny to Nj/NY to build a new tunnel. So this won’t even be discussed with the feds until after he is out of office.
The ironic thing would be this would be a great infrastructure project that would bring thousands of blue collar jobs. But politics are politics and can’t give anything to blue states.

Yes. Penn Station was packed. I usually take the 6:20 Dover train. At 6:15 they announced the 5:52 was boarding (the rest of the board said "delayed"), so I sat on that train (which was completely packed) for about 40 minutes before the conductor announced that it probably wasn't leaving any time soon. Hoofed it to PATH (along with a herd of others), and squeezed onto a packed train out of Hoboken. I heard some guys discussing splitting an uber to get back to NJ.

Chris Christie can eat my shorts. That second tunnel would have (or should have, at least) been completed by now.

I was stuck trying to get home from Queens during Bridge-gate. This brought back memories.
the only good thing he ever did was stop that BS deal

Commuting to NYC is terrible.
Luckily I don't go to NYP.
The couple times I have were disasters.

Commute 3-4 times a week into lower Manhattan.
Door to door: 1.5hr if timed perfectly
5min walk to train (purposely moved next to train line)
Train from western Union/Morris county to Hoboken.
Ferry to Pier 11/Wall Street.

If train slightly delayed and miss ferry - add 15min of waiting for next ferry.

If ferry slightly delayed or leave work a little late - add 30 of waiting for next train.

The new tunnel was "scheduled" to cost $8.5 Billion and be completed in 2018. Realistically it would have cost $40 Billion and would arrive around 2052.

Construction of the current tunnels was completed in 1908. They are going to have to be taken out of service at some point to permanently fix issues caused by Sandy.

the new tunnels are eventually going to be built and are going to cost even more than they would have, had construction started sooner.

the northeast corridor and north jersey coast lines , which are not in Bergen County, are the biggest users of the tunnel, which serves most of the state. Very few Bergen County people take the train, relative to people from other counties because NYC is close enough by bus, which takes the majority of people because it’s much cheaper. Some Bergen county people do transfer onto the tunnel lines in Secaucus, but it’s not a lot relative to other counties. New tunnels benefit everyone in NJ.

Reactions: ManasquanMike
the only good thing he ever did was stop that BS deal

Nonsense. What he did was merely kick the can down the road. Infrastructure is expensive , but you bite the bullet and get it done. It’s not like it’s going to cost any less if you wait. The tunnels will eventually be built.

Reactions: Ridge 22
I have little faith in either political party in the NJ/NY corridor.

I have even less faith in the current US Congress authorizing the infrastructure funding necessary to rebuild the crumbling or needed improvements to mass transit in the Wash DC to Boston corridor.Ol

The funds needed to construct another tunnel under the Hudson into Manhattan is so open ended that NEITHER NJ/NY or a combination of the two States could afford the costs.

The last time I commuted into Manhattan was about 5 years ago. I was into Manhattan at appox 8 PM and would leave around 3 AM. Even then it was necessary to listen to 1010 Wins for traffic/tunnel/lane/roadway closures.

When the company I worked for was acquired and my position didn't exist in the new company it was a HAPPY DAY !

Older posters may recall when Howard S was talking of running for Mayor. He had two platforms that IMO would have gotten him elected. 1. NO Tractor Trailers into Manhattan in daylight hours.
2. NO road construction in daylight hours.

I have little faith in either political party in the NJ/NY corridor.

I have even less faith in the current US Congress authorizing the infrastructure funding necessary to rebuild the crumbling or needed improvements to mass transit in the Wash DC to Boston corridor.Ol

The funds needed to construct another tunnel under the Hudson into Manhattan is so open ended that NEITHER NJ/NY or a combination of the two States could afford the costs.

The last time I commuted into Manhattan was about 5 years ago. I was into Manhattan at appox 8 PM and would leave around 3 AM. Even then it was necessary to listen to 1010 Wins for traffic/tunnel/lane/roadway closures.

When the company I worked for was acquired and my position didn't exist in the new company it was a HAPPY DAY !

Older posters may recall when Howard S was talking of running for Mayor. He had two platforms that IMO would have gotten him elected. 1. NO Tractor Trailers into Manhattan in daylight hours.
2. NO road construction in daylight hours.

the question isn’t can we afford the costs. The question is can we afford not to incur the costs.

what will the costs be if one of the tunnels has to be shut down? Are people going to be willing to accept 4-5 hour commutes?

the big dig in Boston was similarly open ended. But they got it done, and Boston is much better off.
This is a similar situation. The tunnels WILL be built. The only variable is time.

Reactions: thegock
As long as trump is president he will not give a penny to Nj/NY to build a new tunnel. So this won’t even be discussed with the feds until after he is out of office.
The ironic thing would be this would be a great infrastructure project that would bring thousands of blue collar jobs. But politics are politics and can’t give anything to blue states.

It's hard to dump this on President Trump, as the tunnels have been needing HELP for at least the 1970's, when the bus lane was instituted in on 495 from the Turnpike.

The issue of infrastructure improvements is one that is a National issue and as such I have NO faith that the US Congress will work together without a massive shift in who represents US/WE in Congress.

Look at Cuomo who wants to close the Nuke plant for political gain. It only supplies 25 % of ALL ELECTRIC power to NYC during peak load days. (better known as when the buildings are occupied and it's either hot or cold outdoors.). There is no current way to bring enough electric power from either this grid or outside grids to replace the nuke plants generation. Even ramping up old closed coal power generation plants won't yield the necessary Megawatts.

Last edited:
It's hard to dump this on President Trump, as the tunnels have been needing HELP for at least the 1970's, when the bus lane was instituted in on 495 from the Turnpike.

The issue of infrastructure improvements is one that is a National issue and as such I have NO faith that the US Congress will work together without a massive shift in who represents US/WE in Congress.

Look at Mario who wants to close the Nuke plant for political gain. It only supplies 25 % of ALL ELECTRIC power to NYC during peak load days. (better known as when the buildings are occupied and it's either hot or cold outdoors.). There is no current way to bring enough electric power from either this grid or outside grids to replace the nuke plants generation. Even ramping up old closed coal power generation plants won't yield the necessary Megawatts.

Mario? a couple decades behind here...

Went to the Ranger game last night, game ended around 9:35, just enough time to catch the 9:48 Raritan Valley direct train to Cranford and would have been in my driveway by 10:35, great night, right? 9:48 was cancelled, not enough time to catch the 10p bus out of port authority, so waiting for the 10:48 train. 10 mins later, also canceled. So ended up on a 11pm local bus from port authority to Cranford, walked in my door at 12:30am. Miserable.

overheard people coming in to the game got stuck and didn’t get there until the start of the second period. That also sucks.

Was babysitting for my daughters/her hubbys kids Monday night. They tried to go to the Rangers game taking NJT out of Secaucus. Got stuck in the tunnel for about 3 hours and missed the game. Bathrooms had no water or toilet paper. Train eventually backed up back to Secaucus to eventually let them out. Wasted $$ on tickets to game and parking. NJT should reimburse!

Look at Mario who wants to close the Nuke plant for political gain. It only supplies 25 % of ALL ELECTRIC power to NYC during peak load days. (better known as when the buildings are occupied and it's either hot or cold outdoors.). There is no current way to bring enough electric power from either this grid or outside grids to replace the nuke plants generation. Even ramping up old closed coal power generation plants won't yield the necessary Megawatts.
Will. You know as long as trump is president he won’t allow a penny to go to this as he hates the night/nyc blue state. Don’t spin it any other way.

that’s not to say there hasn’t been a long need for infrastructure repair. But it’s a non starter under trump even if it brings jobs and more tax revenue.

he just won’t allow it.

Will. You know as long as trump is president he won’t allow a penny to go to this as he hates the night/nyc blue state. Don’t spin it any other way.

that’s not to say there hasn’t been a long need for infrastructure repair. But it’s a non starter under trump even if it brings jobs and more tax revenue.

he just won’t allow it.

hell allow it when they have to shut down the tunnel
For an extended period of time. As long as things are working, there’s no incentive.

hell allow it when they have to shut down the tunnel
For an extended period of time. As long as things are working, there’s no incentive.
Huh??? It’s not working now. And was already shut down for extended time and breaks frequently.

this is a guy whose tax plan was solely to screw the blue states. Wake up Al. He is not helping NY or NJ at any cost.

and I’m not a democrat. I’m just calling it as it is.

Reactions: scripts
Huh??? It’s not working now. And was already shut down for extended time and breaks frequently.

this is a guy whose tax plan was solely to screw the blue states. Wake up Al. He is not helping NY or NJ at any cost.

and I’m not a democrat. I’m just calling it as it is.

the pain is there but manageable. When the pain becomes unmanageable , politicians will react

You mean like he held up the ratifying/signing of the new trade deal to replace NAFTA ?? and the appox 176,000 jobs in the USA attached to getting the new trade deal ?

I have much more faith that Trump will do anything to replace jobs lost to Chin-na and elsewhere than anything that the US Congress or NJ/NY politicians will accomplish.

I see a businessman operating in a political arena and ignoring how the politicians of either old style Party want to operate their little fiefdoms.

Seeing what is going on in the USA at this time, it's just spite and silly to ignore, like it said on Truman's desk, "The Buck Stops Here". that President Trump gets the lions share of the credit.

Lets think about it like this .... ignore problem and hope it goes away then 5-10 years later catastrophic failure tunnel cant be used major delays every day for hours. Workers leave NJ because they cant get to work. Major downturn in NJ housing market. Tax revenue goes down . State goes bankrupt.
Because we cant figure out how to build & pay for infrastructure like every other Western Country.

Good times

This happens MUCH more often than that. There are delays regularly, weekly for many riders. Not quite this severe or blatant but people are losing a MINIMUM additional hour from their commute per month due to delays.

Its really really hard to rely on it when you can't predict if you'll be late to a meeting, miss a child's event, or a date night with your significant other. You can't promise or be reliable because its out of your control. Not to mention all the stress and chaos Penn Station envokes when things are running smoothly (you crowd into a small room, wait for the track to flash and then rush to a crowded door. Often no seats on trains).

The issues at NJT are severe and legitimate that are effecting tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of people's regular lives. Its changing decisions on where people live and property values for those that don't even ride these trains. It will at some point (if not already) change people's decisions whether to take jobs in NYC or not.

You mean like he held up the ratifying/signing of the new trade deal to replace NAFTA ?? and the appox 176,000 jobs in the USA attached to getting the new trade deal ?

I have much more faith that Trump will do anything to replace jobs lost to Chin-na and elsewhere than anything that the US Congress or NJ/NY politicians will accomplish.

I see a businessman operating in a political arena and ignoring how the politicians of either old style Party want to operate their little fiefdoms.

Seeing what is going on in the USA at this time, it's just spite and silly to ignore, like it said on Truman's desk, "The Buck Stops Here". that President Trump gets the lions share of the credit.

fair enough, but it’s wrong of him to hold up tunnel funding due to petty politics, which is what it is. At this rate, the issue will only start to be addressed when he is out of office.

Even since the tolls went up to $16 I never go into NYC. Only two of my relatives from Ridgewood commute to NY but they take the bus.

Reactions: scripts
another reason i'm not rushing to move back to NJ despite living in a one-bedroom apt in Manhattan with a wife and kid with those extra NYC taxes and Deblasio being such a shitty mayor.

I've worked in the city for 5+years and live in Hoboken. Commuting to and from my office from there isn't bad, but I had a 5 month stretch where I had to commute from Morristown to the city between leases and it was pure hell. I don't know how people do that everyday. I legitimately became depressed everyday and that's when I knew I could never be a lifelong NJT commuter. For the right price, maybe, but the price has to be very high to live in an area that is a short ride to NYC and I'm not making enough much to justify the daily hell.

My lease is up in a few months and I have been searching relentlessly for NJ jobs related to what I do now. If I can't find one in time, I'll be making an industry change to work and live in NJ. It isn't worth the misery for me

fair enough, but it’s wrong of him to hold up tunnel funding due to petty politics, which is what it is. At this rate, the issue will only start to be addressed when he is out of office.

IF you can point me to the fact that President Trump has held up funding for a tunnel under the Hudson, I will be happy to read it.

I can only look at his success for finding jobs for 7,000,000 people, which is approx. the ENTIRE population of the State or Massachusetts. So it would appear that he likes finding jobs for Americans.

Another of my Sons just took a job with a large tech company.

His office, when it is built out, is literally at Penn Plaza so he will be on the North Jersey Coast trains.

Like I mentioned on the resume thread; Get your resume to the decision makers that you either know as friends/relatives/co-workers, or can help get your resume in front of the decision maker not HR.

He got that done and the decision maker had HR draw up a new job search that only he could fill. Hired and Wife is happy where they now live and out of the Navy. (He was due for another deployment at sea/overseas somewhere unknown for a year.)

I can only advise unhappy commuters to search AWAY from the Wash DC-Boston corridor for jobs. Take one that makes you happy, take less $ as the cost of living in the flyover States is usually much less.

Reactions: thegock

I see the problem here. You actually think he is a good businessman. If he operates the country like his business, we'll be filing for bankruptcy soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT