ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJTransit nightmare from last night

As the father of a future civil engineer I hope he gets a job out of this. :)

Reactions: RUsSKii
Glad I live about 15 min from work (driving).
Spent almost 31 years commuting from Metuchen to Rahway. 9.5 miles. 15 minutes 90% of the time even at rush hour, with the occasional crazy delay, which made it 20 minutes, since there's always a way around any traffic on that route - and my personal record of 9 minutes several times after midnight, with little traffic, well timed Route 1 lights, and a little law-breakin' lol.

About 5-10 times a year, I'd have to go to Whitehouse Station or even North Wales (near Valley Forge) PA and the commute would make me cringe if it was anywhere near rush hour. Can't even imagine wasting so much time commuting like some do - I get why people do it, but they have my sympathy...

Reactions: RU1977
Exactly. Republican or Democrat, doesn't matter. As it was structured, New Jersey taxpayers would have been on the hook for every penny the tunnel went over budget. Based on every other project like this in the area, it would have been tens of billions. Enough to bankrupt the state.

Hey I have an idea! Since the government is so great at running stuff, let's put them in charge of even more! LOLOLOL!

ARC is not Gateway.

Exactly. Republican or Democrat, doesn't matter. As it was structured, New Jersey taxpayers would have been on the hook for every penny the tunnel went over budget. Based on every other project like this in the area, it would have been tens of billions. Enough to bankrupt the state.

Hey I have an idea! Since the government is so great at running stuff, let's put them in charge of even more! LOLOLOL!
Is this the same idea to elect a president that has bankrupt multiple companies? The irony.

He could have negotiated a deal where the federal government incurred the cost overruns, but he made zero effort because he never intended to finish a project which Corzine started. Instead, he took dollars that were intended for ARC and used them to fix the Pulaski skyway.

he should have made an honest effort to resolve the issues, but instead threw up his hands and said , we can’t do it. He kicked the can down the road, and others will have to deal with the issue.

He could have negotiated a deal where the federal government incurred the cost overruns, but he made zero effort because he never intended to finish a project which Corzine started. Instead, he took dollars that were intended for ARC and used them to fix the Pulaski skyway.

he should have made an honest effort to resolve the issues, but instead threw up his hands and said , we can’t do it. He kicked the can down the road, and others will have to deal with the issue.

The Feds were not going to agree to that.

Reactions: RUsSKii
Nothing against your son, because I know he went to a good school and probably is qualified. But this type of hiring practice is why tech companies are overwhelmingly White and Asian.

LOL. Yeah it has nothing to do with excelling at education.

Crazy idea when the tunnels are going to be in maintenance in the next couple of years.

Tunnels, both Holland and Lincoln, are one way into the city and out of the city, during rush hours, 2-3 hours. GWB will be the same as before.

Trucks allowed thru the tunnels only between 12 midnight to 5 am.

Two or three bus lanes during the rush hour, maybe increase toll to $25-40 to keep cars out of the city.

Last edited:
I was down in the Second Avenue Subway tunnel construction, what a DEBACLE !

Not to mention the buildings on either side of the street at ground level that were crumbling.

Did Obamma put it on his wish list for immediate funding ? But but, I did see him on Rt 70 after Sandy, only problem he was in the limo and it was going 70 MPH.
Or Bush, or Clinton ?
But because Trump is now President it's all his fault ?

It's NY and NJ, so that means it's a political football of the highest degree.
Who's getting the contracts ? Who's getting the kickbacks ? Who's getting the no show jobs ? What dead useless politician will it be named after ?

Let's see how the current NY/NJ Politicians have approached the President to get him to agree that the project needs to be done ASAP.

NY Senators - impeachment is over for 24 hours..
NY Governor - that's a no.
NJ Senators - nope.
NJ Governor - nah.

Reactions: RUskoolie

Not to mention the buildings on either side of the street at ground level that were crumbling.

Did Obamma put it on his wish list for immediate funding ? But but, I did see him on Rt 70 after Sandy, only problem he was in the limo and it was going 70 MPH.
Or Bush, or Clinton ?

Who's getting the contracts ? Who's getting the kickbacks ? Who's getting the no show jobs ? What dead useless politician will it be named after ?

Let's see how the current NY/NJ Politicians have approached the President to get him to agree that the project needs to be done ASAP.

NJ Senators - nope.
NJ Governor - nah.
I wouldn’t blame the politicians as much as the unions. The tunnel diggers earn about $200k annually. Cops and Firemen all make over $135k a year average. I know you didn’t make as much but they do now. That’s the reason everything is so expensive in the Northeast.

The workers bees in private don’t make close to $100k only the managers or higher earn more than $100k and they keep eliminating manager positions.

Last edited:
Reactions: czxqa
I have 2 in the largest police force in the world and they don't make close to your numbers and they are at top pay.

But blame the unions, not the politicians.
Who's the makes the largest political contributions and does the worst job ? Is it the NJ Teacher's Union ?

A tunnel is going to collapse before anything gets fixed I can see it already.

Better move to the East 70's now. Some decent apts are available over there for decent money, if you subtract what your daily commute will cost in money and time when a tunnel closes for any reason.

I have 2 in the largest police force in the world and they don't make close to your numbers and they are at top pay.

Who's the makes the largest political contributions and does the worst job ? Is it the NJ Teacher's Union ?
Politicians are also to blame because they allow the unions to much during negotiations. You have professional negotiators against politicians that might want only to stay one term or want to be liked.

In NJ, the cops start low but in 5 years they make $100k. Are your kids seniority less than 5 years? Let your kids move down south to be a cop. They won’t like the pay.

Board of Education which helps determine the school annual budgets are infested with teachers from other town, spouses or other relatives of teachers, college professors or other state workers. They are in it for the self interest.

Last edited:

True the teacher's unions are a bloated, disgusting mess. But the police unions are just as bad or worse. A teacher who worked X number of years receives far less of a pension than a police officer with a comparable tenure. The pension concept is outdated and needs to change. Pay everyone what they are worth while they work and do away with the pensions (and post-retirement medical, etc).

Or Bush, or Clinton ?

NJ Senators - nope.
NJ Governor - nah.

enormous projects like these are difficult, because you don’t quite know what the scope of the work is. There are always unforeseen circumstances. But you know what, you grit your teeth and get it done.

The 2nd Ave Subway got done. The 7 Subway extension got done. East side Access is going to be done by 2022.

these projects are going to be hugely beneficial to the city and will pay for themselves.

if any of the tubes fail, and commuters are inconvenienced, this is 100% going to be Chris Christie’s fault, because he chose to kick the can down the road, rather than solve the problem. He simply didn’t give a sht, as he commuted by car.

no he made the right call... it would have been at least 5x more in cost overruns and take 10x the amount of time.... down here in the south, non union contractors compete for say building an overpass... say it costs 8 mil total and has a time limit... get done quick and pass the inspection, you make more money.... don't get the job done on time? ya still have to finish it at YOUR COMPANY's expense.... pretty damn good motivator for the lazy shits that are union thugs

Reactions: RUskoolie
no he made the right call... it would have been at least 5x more in cost overruns and take 10x the amount of time.... down here in the south, non union contractors compete for say building an overpass... say it costs 8 mil total and has a time limit... get done quick and pass the inspection, you make more money.... don't get the job done on time? ya still have to finish it at YOUR COMPANY's expense.... pretty damn good motivator for the lazy shits that are union thugs

what the hell does this even mean? He had an issue to solve. He chose not to solve it, period, end of story.

do you think if one of the tunnels goes down, they’re going to say, “we can’t build the tunnels because of Union thugs”. No, they’re going to build it, at more expense, because it will need to be done. As long as the tunnels don’t cause too much hardship, there’s no incentive to act. Once people experience significant hardship, people will be spurred to action.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
what the hell does this even mean? He had an issue to solve. He chose not to solve it, period, end of story.

do you think if one of the tunnels goes down, they’re going to say, “we can’t build the tunnels be because of Union thugs”. No, they’re going to build it, at more expense, because it will need to be done. As long as the tunnels don’t cause too much hardship, there’s no incentive to act. Once people experience significant hardship, people will be spurred to action.
how about this genius of RU football, if you use the tunnel.... YOU PAY FOR IT WITH INCREASED TOLLS.... NOT THE WHOLE TAXPAYER BASE OF THE STATE... most of whom DON'T USE IT... do i care how much you have to spend to get in and out .. hell no... pay for it yourself... it was nothing more than a pork-barrel spending project for union thugs to bleed the state into further debt.... and people wonder why i left to go live in a practically NO crime area in the freaking woods of VA???????????... and ya don't have to deal with arrogant idiotic liberals here

keep up with your RU predictions.... maybe some day one of your little upset alerts will be correct...

Reactions: RUScrew85
how about this genius of RU football, if you use the tunnel.... YOU PAY FOR IT WITH INCREASED TOLLS.... NOT THE WHOLE TAXPAYER BASE OF THE STATE... most of whom DON'T USE IT... do i care how much you have to spend to get in and out .. hell no... pay for it yourself... it was nothing more than a pork-barrel spending project for union thugs to bleed the state into further debt.... and people wonder why i left to go live in a practically NO crime area in the freaking woods of VA???????????... and ya don't have to deal with arrogant idiotic liberals here

keep up with your RU predictions.... maybe some day one of your little upset alerts will be correct...
it does affect the entire state (and region). lost income as a result of reduced capacity cascades down to paychecks. and paychecks mean state income taxes, which impacts the entire state, not just commuters. also, the gateway tunnel is not just an NJT project...it's an Amtrak project as well. the NEC rides on Amtrak owned tracks. So, it's a regional interest. $16 billion in economic losses if a tunnel goes down for the 4 years needed to reconstruct - $16 billion that will affect republicans, democrats, and non-politicals.

Reactions: redking
it does affect the entire state (and region). lost income as a result of reduced capacity cascades down to paychecks. and paychecks mean state income taxes, which impacts the entire state, not just commuters. also, the gateway tunnel is not just an NJT project...it's an Amtrak project as well. the NEC rides on Amtrak owned tracks. So, it's a regional interest. $16 billion in economic losses if a tunnel goes down for the 4 years needed to reconstruct - $16 billion that will affect republicans, democrats, and non-politicals.
how about lowering taxes? .. let the company(s) you(as in you everyone) work for pay for the tunnel to get you there on time... why fleece an entire state that is already taxed to hell just so a bunch of cheap skate azzholes can get to their cushy do nothing job in new dork?.. raised tolls and the companies that are in new dork should pay for it.... don't fleece everyone else just for your own self interest... if it's for helping with medical care for those who pretty much went broke due to serious illness, i have no problem with tax dollars doing that... but paying for a tunnel that most people won't use is utter crap

raise tolls and have the companies in new dork pay for it .. if they want it that bad they will do it... otherwise, start your commute earlier

that’s not realistic. Everyone benefits from a solid mass transit system because it raises property values. This is exactly what happened when NJ Transit brought light rail to Jersey City, Hoboken, and North Bergen.

get this through your skull. It is going to be built eventually, and it’s going to cost more then it would have had it been built earlier.

that’s not realistic. Everyone benefits from a solid mass transit system because it raises property values. This is exactly what happened when NJ Transit brought light rail to Jersey City, Hoboken, and North Bergen.

get this through your skull. It is going to be built eventually, and it’s going to cost more then it would have had it been built earlier.
Get your pick and shovel out, Al! Start digging.

yo "mr. i sing songs to teenagers"... how is the Feds giving joisey/dork any money contributing ANY value to states other than new dork and joisey... if the people of joisey and dork want it... YOU PAY FOR IT.... not a hard concept to figure out... the VAST MAJORITY of this country won't use it yet you want everyone to pay for it?

your response "well it's only like .50 cents a person"...

my response "well if it's that cheap then YOU can afford it on your own along with the other 8.whatever million people are still living in hell(joisey)"... petition your company to contribute if you use it... nahhh.. they're greedy azzholes

get a clue and stop smoking crack... or go write some stupid prediction you have

i'd love to stay and argue but i gotta get going and make dinner

ps. no one outside of joisey and dork should pay for that bloated project of crap

right behind you.
LOL! Sorry brother, I moved to Pa years ago. New Jersey has gotten the last full measure of devotion they're ever going to get from me. I chip in on this side of the river now for services I'll never get...

yo "mr. i sing songs to teenagers"... how is the Feds giving joisey/dork any money contributing ANY value to states other than new dork and joisey... if the people of joisey and dork want it... YOU PAY FOR IT.... not a hard concept to figure out... the VAST MAJORITY of this country won't use it yet you want everyone to pay for it?

your response "well it's only like .50 cents a person"...

my response "well if it's that cheap then YOU can afford it on your own along with the other 8.whatever million people are still living in hell(joisey)"... petition your company to contribute if you use it... nahhh.. they're greedy azzholes

get a clue and stop smoking crack... or go write some stupid prediction you have

you are sadly clueless. The Feds get a lot of tax money from NY and NJ, so the least they can do is their part to build infrastructure, which pays for itself. They contributed to secaucus junction. They contributed to light rail. They contributed to the 2nd Avenue subway as well as the 7 subway line extension.

They are going to contribute to the replacement of the portal bridge as well as the building of the tunnels, likely once Trump is out of office.

ps. no one outside of joisey and dork should pay for that bloated project of crap

New York and New Jersey pay more taxes to the Federal government and get crap back. Our taxes are used to pay for s*it hole states infrastructure updates like the one you live in.

The argument that only New York and New Jersey should pay for it is stupid. Just like taxing only train commutes for it. Do I get a refund on all the road work projects since I don’t use the roads?

True the teacher's unions are a bloated, disgusting mess. But the police unions are just as bad or worse. A teacher who worked X number of years receives far less of a pension than a police officer with a comparable tenure. The pension concept is outdated and needs to change. Pay everyone what they are worth while they work and do away with the pensions (and post-retirement medical, etc).
How do you define worth?

enormous projects like these are difficult, because you don’t quite know what the scope of the ...

these projects are going to be hugely beneficial to the city and will pay for themselves.

Then why doesn't the city pay for it?

Reactions: R1776U

I wish I could like this twice.

Reactions: R1776U
New York and New Jersey pay more taxes to the Federal government and get crap back. Our taxes are used to pay for s*it hole states infrastructure updates like the one you live in.

The argument that only New York and New Jersey should pay for it is stupid. Just like taxing only train commutes for it. Do I get a refund on all the road work projects since I don’t use the roads?
You should.

So you take the take the train to the grocery store right?

by your logic, you should pay more for your local services because northern VA shouldn't have to pay for your ass...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT