ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2019 NY Yankees Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not crazy about Stroman, but I would definitely take him over NS since he already is an AL pitcher. Funky things sometimes happens, especially in the short term, when lifelong NL pitchers change leagues.

Stroman would be a nice fit as a #3. He's a NY guy, already pitches in the AL East and has a very good spin rate. However I'm not breaking the bank to get him (i.e. Garcia).

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Trading German or moving him to the pen?
I think German will come back down to earth a little in the second half. The odds of that rotation staying healthy are slim. He will probably be on an innings limit so he would spot start. I could also easily see him in the rotation and Tanaka l/Happ being done.

German is probably their best starter right now. I wouldn't put a lot of emphasis on his bad start against Minn, that's a great hitting team. His previous 4 starts were good. With the Yanks good bullpen, most of their starters don't more than 6 innings anyway.

German has been around longer than some realize, 9 year vet. In 2014 he threw 123 innings w Greensboro, in 2017 he threw 110 innings .

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=german001dom

Last edited:
I'm overall pro-Cashman and have liked his moves, including Encarnacion and Stanton. His ability to find good young position talent amongst other teams' garbage has been impressive and sped up this team's rebuild. However, his track record on acquiring controllable pitching has been bad (Paxton, Gray). Additionally, he has been unwilling to give up enough for others by trade (Cole) or in free-agency (Corbin) that would have helped the team.

I fear that the inability to adequately identify good starting pitching, the lack of trade-deadline starting pitchers available (and their associated high cost) will leave the Yankees acquiring bullpen help rather than any additional starters.

Reactions: WhiteBus
German is probably their best starter right now. I wouldn't put a lot of emphasis on his bad start against Minn, that's a great hitting team. His previous 4 starts were good. With the Yanks good bullpen, most of their starters don't more than 6 innings anyway.

German has been around longer than some realize, 9 year vet. In 2014 he threw 123 innings w Greensboro, in 2017 he threw 110 innings .

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=german001dom
Do teams have starters these days who actually go more than six innings more than occasionally ?

Exactly. The only guy the Yankees passed on is Verlander IMO. It’s a mistake now but at the time he looked like he was in the downside of his career so I can’t blame them too much. How many aces are there in all of baseball? Guys like Verlander? 5 maybe? After those 5 then it is a crap shoot. Paxton could be dominant in the playoffs. I guess I would take Stroman after that. Mostly because he would be a great number three or four next year. We have to break the bank for Cole this off season. No excuses. Then are rotation is set;

Cole
Severino
Paxton
Stroman
Tanaka/Happ
I have no issues that the Yankees "passed" on Verlander. The thought before his trade to Houston was that he was on the downside. Nobody saw his resurgence in Houston on the horizon... except the trainers with the good steroid connections for Houston.
Trading for Stroman wouldn't cost much and he would fit in very well next year.

I have no issues that the Yankees "passed" on Verlander. The thought before his trade to Houston was that he was on the downside. Nobody saw his resurgence in Houston on the horizon... except the trainers with the good steroid connections for Houston.
Trading for Stroman wouldn't cost much and he would fit in very well next year.
I agree. I have more of an issue with them not landing Cole or Morton.

I'm 1978 the Yankees went up to Fenway in September and absolutely destroyed the Sawx in 4 games and it has been labeled the Boston Massacre.. Last night in Fenway the Sawx won 18-3 and tonight they scored 3 in the first inning.Is this revenge of the Massacre?I lived through the Yanks coming back from 14 down. Don't think the East is sewn up yet.

I'm 1978 the Yankees went up to Fenway in September and absolutely destroyed the Sawx in 4 games and it has been labeled the Boston Massacre.. Last night in Fenway the Sawx won 18-3 and tonight they scored 3 in the first inning.Is this revenge of the Massacre?I lived through the Yanks coming back from 14 down. Don't think the East is sewn up yet.
Even in '78 the media and fans focused in the score. It's irrelevant. 1-0 is the same as 20-0. Equals 1 win. Baseball players have great ability to turn the page.

The East is sown up. Boston is not catching the Yankees. At this point they will be lucky to make the playoffs.

They've played 2 good teams this week, but this is ridiculous. Some scout has seen something and it's been spread around the league.

BTW, Boston did precisely this to the Yanks in a June series in 1978.

YES is saying that it's the most runs,64,that they've ever given up in a 6 game span.

That's correct but in a 17 game stretch to end the 2000 season,they went 3-14 and had 2 6 game stretches surrendering 61 and 54 runs respectively.

However,they won their 3rd straight World Series in spite of it.Methinks that the potential post season opponents are much better than those they vanquished in 2000.

I'm overall pro-Cashman and have liked his moves, including Encarnacion and Stanton. His ability to find good young position talent amongst other teams' garbage has been impressive and sped up this team's rebuild. However, his track record on acquiring controllable pitching has been bad (Paxton, Gray). Additionally, he has been unwilling to give up enough for others by trade (Cole) or in free-agency (Corbin) that would have helped the team.

I fear that the inability to adequately identify good starting pitching, the lack of trade-deadline starting pitchers available (and their associated high cost) will leave the Yankees acquiring bullpen help rather than any additional starters.
I agree on most of this but Paxton. He was pitching lights out before he got hurt. His knee is clearly still bothering him but he's trying to power through.

ut oh

Worst time for Yankee starters to just implode. Not talking about this series or if the Yanks still win division but...they just lost any bargaining power when it comes to trades to get a starter. Yanks will still win the division but they are NOT build to make a playoff run. Every team can see that and if you are a team with a starter they want, you sit in the drivers seat more than ever.

I’m looking to add an all star relief pitcher and a front line starter.

Perhaps betances and Severino.

That’s the only way I think they win it all.

Question...since the All Star break of last year, can you be certain that Severino is top line?
Define “top line”. He is one of the top 10 pitchers in the game. However, I think there is Scherzer, Verlander, deGrom and Cole on one level and then a drop after that.

Define “top line”. He is one of the top 10 pitchers in the game. However, I think there is Scherzer, Verlander, deGrom and Cole on one level and then a drop after that.
Agree there is the level 1 you mentioned and then a big drop...LS has also been very good. My question was specific to 2nd half of last year and now coming back from a significant injury, can we feel comfortable that he really will still be in that very next level "ACE"?

Agree there is the level 1 you mentioned and then a big drop...LS has also been very good. My question was specific to 2nd half of last year and now coming back from a significant injury, can we feel comfortable that he really will still be in that very next level "ACE"?
It's July 27th and he hasn't thrown off the mound yet. Forget about if he can become the ACE again. We need to find out if he is 100% healthy first.

It's July 27th and he hasn't thrown off the mound yet. Forget about if he can become the ACE again. We need to find out if he is 100% healthy first.
That is pretty much my point for fans hanging their hats on Severino at the end of this year and playoffs...

I hope this stretch is a wakeup call for Cashmen who rested on his laurels after the Paxton trade.

I hope this stretch is a wakeup call for Cashmen who rested on his laurels after the Paxton trade.
The Keuchel whiff is his biggest error in awhile. It was pretty much a no-brainer move. Now they'll have to pay out the arse for a starter.

Reactions: coldsprings
Ya gotta laud them for their progress, though, got it down to 9 runs this game.

Reactions: shields
The Keuchel whiff is his biggest error in awhile. It was pretty much a no-brainer move. Now they'll have to pay out the arse for a starter.
From the NY Post:
"Dallas Keuchel, who has a higher WAR than Happ or Paxton despite not signing until June 7 and making his first start until June 21."

In addition, "Twelve pitchers acquired in the offseason through free agency or trade have a better Wins Above Replacement (Baseball Reference) than Happ (0.5) and 16 have been better than Paxton (0.3). "

Who knows how much of this incompetence is on Cashman and how much on Hal Steinbrenner?

And now will they panic (perhaps even trade Andujar) and overpay for a #3

Starting to look like Yanks are in a division race against the Sox.

I think that Tampa may be done. They have great pitching but not enough hitting to overtake the Yanks.

From the NY Post:
"Dallas Keuchel, who has a higher WAR than Happ or Paxton despite not signing until June 7 and making his first start until June 21."

In addition, "Twelve pitchers acquired in the offseason through free agency or trade have a better Wins Above Replacement (Baseball Reference) than Happ (0.5) and 16 have been better than Paxton (0.3). "

Who knows how much of this incompetence is on Cashman and how much on Hal Steinbrenner?

And now will they panic (perhaps even trade Andujar) and overpay for a #3
Some NY writers are also pointing a big finger directly at Larry Rothschild. Pitchers that have come to the Yankees have not improved or even pitched to the back of their baseball card. There is a long list of them. CC being the exception.
Recently pitchers going to Houston and last year to Boston became better, dominate after changing teams.
Maybe it's time for some fresh air in the Bronx and a new pitching coach.

Reactions: Rutgers'02
What a bunch of idiots.
FYI - good for the Yanks, Stroman isn't worth Garcia:

What it means for the Yankees: One less target for general manager Brian Cashman. The Yankees were talking to the Blue Jays about a deal for Stroman, a 28-year-old in the middle of his best season who gets a ton of ground balls. According to MLB.com’s Jon Paul Morosi, the Blue Jays were insistent on getting 20-year-old Deivi Garcia — the Yankees’ best pitching prospect — in any deal for Stroman. The Yankees reportedly don’t want to deal the right-handed prospect ... unless it’s for Syndergaard. It’s unclear if the Mets would take Garcia for Syndergaard.

Reactions: Psugraddad
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT