ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2019 NY Yankees Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yankee game cancelled for tonight. Due to forecast. But they will play a doubleheader tomorrow starting at 3pm. You would think they try to play the makeup when it's not 100 degrees.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Interesting comment (at least I thought so ) during today's first game with the Rays. After a two strike basehit by Urshela they said he had the third highest average with two strikes, 277 in MLB.

It would be interesting to know what the Yankee brain-trust feels about the status of Betances and Severino. If they feel one or both will be back and able to contribute by playoff time it may temper their need to acquire a pitcher, and to pay a steep price to do so. One, or both of them would be a major factor coming out of the pen in the playoffs.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
It would be interesting to know what the Yankee brain-trust feels about the status of Betances and Severino. If they feel one or both will be back and able to contribute by playoff time it may temper their need to acquire a pitcher, and to pay a steep price to do so. One, or both of them would be a major factor coming out of the pen in the playoffs.
Very true. No need to get a starter other than MB. We have a lot of great talent that is blocked, so let's see what happens.

Interesting comment (at least I thought so ) during today's first game with the Rays. After a two strike basehit by Urshela they said he had the third highest average with two strikes, 277 in MLB.
No way they move him from 3rd base when Andujar returns.

The Yankees won't know by the deadline if either will be back. They just started throwing...flat ground, long toss...and won't throw off a mound until after deadline passes. And this year there is no second trade deadline for those passing through waivers.
They need to get an ace.

The Yankees won't know by the deadline if either will be back. They just started throwing...flat ground, long toss...and won't throw off a mound until after deadline passes. And this year there is no second trade deadline for those passing through waivers.
They need to get an ace.
If people think that the Yankees need to acquire a pitcher that's better than any of their current starting five, it begs two questions:
1. What would be the asking price for such an "ace" ?
2. What does that say about people's thoughts about the Yankees winning a World Series with their current pitching staff ?

If people think that the Yankees need to acquire a pitcher that's better than any of their current starting five, it begs two questions:
1. What would be the asking price for such an "ace" ?
2. What does that say about people's thoughts about the Yankees winning a World Series with their current pitching staff ?
I would think two of three players could be packaged for a second level starter: either Urshella or Andujar; and Clint Frazier.

Was at the game tonight, first time seeing Judge in person. My God, he’s a beast. He hits like he knows it’s coming.

Exciting game of long balls and making things happen. Happ settled in, got some defensive help.

Getting to the game was brutal with the heat and subway outage at the height of rush hour.

Yankees defense doesn't get enough credit. Significantly above average at most positions.

They can afford a pinch runner. Not the first team to do that. If you watch Encarnacion and a few others huff and puff on the base paths it makes sense.

I can't wait 'til they get back Severino. Betances, and Montgomery.
And Stanton, Maybin, Bird, and Tulowitzki.
And not to forget Ellsbury.

They can afford a pinch runner. Not the first team to do that. If you watch Encarnacion and a few others huff and puff on the base paths it makes sense.

Encarnacion is actually a decent base runner w decent speed. Sanchez has improved since losing weight. This is a power hitting team, one of the best in MLB history, so losing a bit of team speed is not a big issue.
30 games over .500 now. I worry about starting pitching in the playoffs, not speed.

Yankees are 10 games up on the field in the East.

Magic number for a wild card berth is 48.

Magic number for the number one seed is 62.

In case anyone was wondering....:baseball::sunglasses:

Reactions: RW90 and T2Kplus10
Absolutely amazing game tonight. Britton failed, Chapman failed, Ottavino failed, and Green almost failed.
The starter stunk and was left in too long by Casey.
But they still won.
A special team.

Absolutely amazing game tonight. Britton failed, Chapman failed, Ottavino failed, and Green almost failed.
But they still won.
A special team.
I went to bed after Didi's homer cut the deficit in half. It definitely felt like the Yanks would catch them, I wish I could have stayed up.

I stayed up til the end. Wow, incredible games. Didi and Hicks were tremendous. What a catch in center to finally end the game by Hicks! One of the best regular season games I’ve ever seen. And man, did that home plate ump struggle w balls and strikes.

Reactions: TRU2RU
But they still won.
A special team.
Just like everything went Boston's way last season, this season is starting to get the same vibe in the Bronx.
The pitching as currently constructed still scares me come the playoffs however. Need another front line starter and reliever, but then again so does everybody.

I stayed up til the end. Wow, incredible games. Didi and Hicks were tremendous. What a catch in center to finally end the game by Hicks! One of the best regular season games I’ve ever seen. And man, did that home plate ump struggle w balls and strikes.
Ditto.
While it still counts as only one game, it was the type of game where after playing five plus hours of multiple comebacks that you would just hate to lose.

Just like everything went Boston's way last season, this season is starting to get the same vibe in the Bronx.
The pitching as currently constructed still scares me come the playoffs however. Need another front line starter and reliever, but then again so does everybody.
Rumor has it that the Yankees are working at acquiring two pitchers...one named Luis Severino, who I believe is a starter....and the other a guy name Dellin Betances. I think they're giving up next to nothing for the pair.

Reactions: NickKnight 1
Rumor has it that the Yankees are working at acquiring two pitchers...one named Luis Severino, who I believe is a starter....and the other a guy name Dellin Betances. I think they're giving up next to nothing for the pair.

I don't think Severino comes back this year, and I'm afraid his career is in jeopardy. Thank goodness he signed an extension, although not a huge one, in the off season.
Not sure what's going on with Betances, hopefully makes it back by the cutoff of the Playoffs (Sept 1 ?)

Sanchez back on the injured list w yet another groin injury. He was slumping bad lately, but he's a streak hitter that can get hot at any time.

Reactions: NickKnight 1
I don't think Severino comes back this year, and I'm afraid his career is in jeopardy. Thank goodness he signed an extension, although not a huge one, in the off season.
Not sure what's going on with Betances, hopefully makes it back by the cutoff of the Playoffs (Sept 1 ?)

Sanchez back on the injured list w yet another groin injury. He was slumping bad lately, but he's a streak hitter that can get hot at any time.

You think Severinos career is in jeopardy?! Due to a lat strain or because you think the rotator cuff inflammation is more than they’re saying? I can see him not being effective this year but I can’t imagine his career is in jeopardy assuming the reports have been true.

You think Severinos career is in jeopardy?! Due to a lat strain or because you think the rotator cuff inflammation is more than they’re saying? I can see him not being effective this year but I can’t imagine his career is in jeopardy assuming the reports have been true.

I think its the rotator cuff. If/when he comes back next year, he may never be the same.

Abro We agree to disagree . Encarnacion runs like you. And me..Speed can win an inning and a game in a short series. Cashman usually makes good on these types of deals.

Reactions: Abro1975
Abro We agree to disagree . Encarnacion runs like you. And me..Speed can win an inning and a game in a short series. Cashman usually makes good on these types of deals.

LOL ! I agree on both. I don't think the Yanks/Cashman will be forthcoming on Severino's status, as the moment he says Severino is done for the year, or worse, than the Yanks lose even more leverage and bargaining power in trade talks with other teams. Although the other teams probably know Severino won't be coming back this year. Which makes the Yanks not going higher for Kuechel look even more foolish (it would have put the Yanks over the luxury cap).

Reactions: RW90
Word on the street is both are damaged goods currently so its hard to say if and when either can contribute once acquired.

He sure looked slooowww hitting (and running) into that triple play to start the game two days ago.

Agree on the pitching but a fun season to watch.

I don't see Severino, Betances or Stanton in the majors anytime this season. Both pitchers throwing programs have been pushed back to August and Stanton is doing nothing baseball wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT