ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Police activity on Voorhees mall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I mean, they're not to blame for all children dying in every war since the beginning of time. Which is what the sentences you quoted appear to be saying, taking out of the larger context of my post as they are.

But Hamas sucks. So I'll allow it.

Reactions: goru1869
Well, I mean, they're not to blame for all children dying in every war since the beginning of time. Which is what the sentences you quoted appear to be saying, taking out of the larger context of my post as they are.

But Hamas sucks. So I'll allow it.
Figured you knew what I meant. But if a bold is needed, so be it...

Children die in war. Hamas, who have no problem at all with intentionally killing children, is surely to blame for this situation.

1. Like most people upset about the killing of so many children in Gaza I have nothing but hatred for Hamas.
2. If you think that collateral damage is just part of the evils of war, are you implying that all of those involved in wars commit the same levels of collateral damage ? Isn't it true that sometimes countries go to great lengths to avoid killing innocent women and children and then there are situations where evil doers think nothing of the innocents....such as the Russians in Chechnya years back. Or the military dictatorship in Burma right now.
U.S. miliary experts I've heard have criticized the seeming wantonness of Israel's bombing.
3. This conflict has been going on for a long time. I despise what Hamas did in October and IMO they can all burn in hell. But this conflict has been going on for a long, long time. It didn't start with Hamas' surprise attack back in October. And there is enough blame to go around on both sides.
4. "Seemingly" indiscriminate ? Most of the world has spoken out against Israel's reaction to the Hamas attack. Sometimes nations go too far in reacting when attacked. This is clearly one of those.
BTW, IMO not enough attention is being paid to the comments by two key fundamentalist members of Netanyahu's coalition government. Their plans for Gaza and the West Bank are indefensible. And sadly they seem to hold significant sway in the current Israeli coalition government.
I guess you've forgotten how WW2 ended and of course dropping napalm bombs in Nam didn't kill civilians, geez already.

Reactions: RUBlackout7
I guess you've forgotten how WW2 ended and of course dropping napalm bombs in Nam didn't kill civilians, geez already.
A lot has changed since Hiroshima and Nagasaki back in 1945. The U.S. was one of the major countries behind getting agreements passed about things like dropping a nuclear weapon on cities.
Or firebombing Tokyo or Dresden.
Funny you should mention Vietnam, as I was very much involved in protests against that horror.
We didn't belong there.
Of course in any war there are gonna be civilian casualties. Hopefully, the U.S. is always gonna be one of the leaders in doing everything to avoid harming innocent civilians. And also in asking Israel to be a little more careful with its bomb-dropping in Gaza.
Most of the world thinks they should be.

A lot has changed since Hiroshima and Nagasaki back in 1945. The U.S. was one of the major countries behind getting agreements passed about things like dropping a nuclear weapon on cities.
Funny you should mention Vietnam, as I was very much involved in protests against that horror.
We didn't belong there.
Of course in any war there are gonna be civilian casualties. Hopefully, the U.S. is always gonna be one of the leaders in doing everything to avoid harming innocent civilians. And also in asking Israel to be a little more careful with its bomb-dropping in Gaza.
Like I said. I would prefer it if they exercised a bit more care in how they go after Hamas. However, also like I said, that's real easy for you and I to say while sitting safely in our living rooms. Not so easy when having your children murdered and kidnapped, you know?

And frankly, it's a little hypocritical of the US to dictate to others how to avoid civilian casualties. Sure, we have been better in recent years. But we haven't always been all that careful ourselves.

Rutgers University president defends decision to negotiate with student protesters​

Rutgers President Jonathan Holloway publicly defended his decision to negotiate with student protesters who pitched tents in a pro-Palestinian encampment in New Brunswick last week — negotiations that ended in an agreement and the protesters closing down the encampment.

In comments made at a "special" Board of Governors meeting convened Monday via Zoom, Holloway said he was responding to the "thousands of emails" he received from the public after the university announced Thursday that it had agreed to several of the students' demands, ending the four-day encampment.

"I am confident in our decisions," Holloway said. "They allowed us to maintain a safe and controlled environment, to protect Rutgers students and Rutgers property, and to assure that our students’ academic progress — taking finals and completing the semester — was not impeded."

We didn't belong there.
I wonder what your response would be if your next door neighbor came into your house and raped your wife, threw your baby in the oven and then killed your mom all while forcing you to watch. Do you think you might want to burn his house down with everything and everyone inside?

I wonder what your response would be if your next door neighbor came into your house and raped your wife, threw your baby in the oven and then killed your mom all while forcing you to watch. Do you think you might want to burn his house down with everything and everyone inside?
Doesn't mean it's the morally correct thing to do. But I can understand it and, in that circumstance, I'd be lying if I said I knew for sure I wouldn't do it. I'd hope that I'd only go after the neighbor that did it. But would I be sane and stable enough, in that moment, to be that discriminating with my revenge? I don't know.

The problem is, the same justification works from both perspectives. If a Palestinian man who has never hurt anybody in his life, sees his wife and kids blown to bits in front of him by an Israeli bomb, do you think he might want to spend his life killing Israelis?

It's not the morally correct thing to do. But I can understand it and once again, if I'm in that guys shoes, I might very well do the same thing. I'd hope that I'd somehow know it was Hamas that precipitated the Israeli bombing and that I'd go after them instead. But there is a good chance I might not even be sane anymore, same as the father who witnesses his family be killed.

This is why I keep saying it's easy to judge from our comfy safe living rooms. It's not so easy when it's your own wife and kids being killed.

Yes, I understand that. I'd still prefer less collateral damage, especially of children.

Difficult, even extremely difficult, does not mean impossible. There's a harsh trade-off. The lives of some soldiers for the lives of some children who've done nothing wrong is a trade-off I'd be willing to make as a leader or as a soldier. It's a very hard choice, and the outcome can never be perfect no matter the approach. But it's the correct choice, IMO.

Children die in war. Hamas, who have no problem at all with intentionally killing children, is surely to blame for this situation.

But that doesn't absolve Israel from a moral responsibility to do the right thing, hard as that may be. Israel's goal may be to kill every last member of Hamas; a goal I fully support. But will the current approach accomplish that? Are these children who are dying purchasing a better long-term outcome for Israel? Maybe. Maybe not. Who can say?

Again, this is all so very easy for us to judge from the comfort of our homes free of the daily threats faced by the Israeli people or the current devastation being experienced by Palestinians.
spoken like a true liberal

reality and idealism often get crushed under the weight of reality

That's an awful analogy. It'd probably be more accurate if I dropped a bomb on the whole neighborhood...a huge one.... for revenge.
I've said several times what my opinion is of Hamas. My concern is with innocent people, particularly children. Why some here have no problem with the thousands of children being killed and maimed in Gaza is hard for me to figure.
BTW, I've also had the same concerns about the innocent being killed and maimed even if it was my country doing it. Anyone who knew me during the Vietnam war could vouch for that.

Reactions: RUMED and robcac26
That's an awful analogy. It'd probably be more accurate if I dropped a bomb on the whole neighborhood...a huge one.... for revenge.
I've said several times what my opinion is of Hamas. My concern is with innocent people, particularly children. Why some here have no problem with the thousands of children being killed and maimed in Gaza is hard for me to figure.
Because it’s the only option. The alternative is for Israel to do nothing. Nobody wants civilians to die but that’s part of urban warfare that Gaza brought on themselves. Zero sympathy.

BTW, I've also had the same concerns about the innocent being killed and maimed even if it was my country doing it. Anyone who knew me during the Vietnam war could vouch for that.
no actually you should lay waste to the whole area and let the chips fall. 'there will only be peace when Arabs care about their children as much as Israelis do'

you see you clearly live in a idealistic world with no real conceptual view of Hamas their supporters. Hamas supporters get paid when their kids blow themselves up, they cheer it.

bring back LeMay and let's make it so fking painful for them, they beg for peace at any price

Because it’s the only option. The alternative is for Israel to do nothing. Nobody wants civilians to die but that’s part of urban warfare that Gaza brought on themselves. Zero sympathy.
I've heard many U.S. military experts commenting on the systematic destruction of Gaza and most of them were critical of Israel's conduct of this operation....particularly the use of the heavier bombs in very crowded areas. They seemed to think there were other options.

• Haha
Reactions: bac2therac
spoken like a true liberal

reality and idealism often get crushed under the weight of reality
🥱

You really need to get some new material. Maybe try listening to some Mozart when you post, it might help a little. It’d be temporary and likely insufficient. But still better than nothing, I suppose.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Not really a terrible analogy at all because that’s what they did but on a larger scale. They had to know there would be repercussions but they don’t care about their own children

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
We didn't belong there.
I get that.

Rutgers University president defends decision to negotiate with student protesters​

Rutgers President Jonathan Holloway publicly defended his decision to negotiate with student protesters who pitched tents in a pro-Palestinian encampment in New Brunswick last week — negotiations that ended in an agreement and the protesters closing down the encampment.

In comments made at a "special" Board of Governors meeting convened Monday via Zoom, Holloway said he was responding to the "thousands of emails" he received from the public after the university announced Thursday that it had agreed to several of the students' demands, ending the four-day encampment.

"I am confident in our decisions," Holloway said. "They allowed us to maintain a safe and controlled environment, to protect Rutgers students and Rutgers property, and to assure that our students’ academic progress — taking finals and completing the semester — was not impeded."

Sort of like Nevele Chamberlain waving the "Peace in our time" piece of paper upon returning from Munich.

• Haha
Sort of like Nevele Chamberlain waving the "Peace in our time" piece of paper upon returning from Munich.
Refusing to cut ties with businesses supply Israel weapons is Chamberlain like ?
Refusing to cut ties with Israel makes Holloway weak?
Holloway stuck with Israel and refused student demands he cut ties with them.
What he did was just start a relationship with , Birzeit University in the West Bank
like Rutgers has with with Tel Aviv University.

What Holloway did was find a solution that benefits all without caving to extremists
and proving he's willing to listen to sensible requests .
Did you miss this part:
"He also indicated that while it would address Palestinian protesters' demands, the university would also address "gaps in our Jewish student, faculty and staff experience" by working with another campus council: the Advisory Council for Jewish Life."

So without incident and using force to clear the Mall, Holloway used a diplomatic approach that did the job while refusing to end ties with Israel or the businesses that
supply Israel with what that country needs.
He also committed Rutgers into investigating harassment accusations claimed by Jewish and Muslim students .

A Chamberlain Munich Conference giveaway type of action didn't happen.
What happened was a refusal to give in to extremists' demands , but listen to reasonable requests and work out a fair deal for all .

And what about the children killed on 10/7?
I know of no one who does not believe that the 33 Israeli children killed on 10/7 by Hamas was an unforgivable abomination. To date Israel has killed more than 400 times as many Palestinian children The death toll for children in Gaza is estimated at 13,800. To chalk it up to “ children die in war” is unconscionable. Israel can and needs to do a better job.

should have bulldozed right over them

no one with half a brain supports negotiating with these animals

this thread is further proof of the liberal stupidity that has infested the West. Amazing to see 'educated' persons so utterly devoid of any sense of reality. Calvin Coolidge was spot on as those times were not that much different, only the actors, when he said, 'the world is full of educated derelicts'

I'm ok with carpet bombing the entire area as Israel should.

this thread is further proof of the liberal stupidity that has infested the West. Amazing to see 'educated' persons so utterly devoid of any sense of reality. Calvin Coolidge was spot on as those times were not that much different, only the actors, when he said, 'the world is full of educated derelicts'

I'm ok with carpet bombing the entire area as Israel should.
Wow - Have you thought about joining the IDF? UNCLE BIBI WANTS YOU!

I know of no one who does not believe that the 33 Israeli children killed on 10/7 by Hamas was an unforgivable abomination. To date Israel has killed more than 400 times as many Palestinian children The death toll for children in Gaza is estimated at 13,800. To chalk it up to “ children die in war” is unconscionable. Israel can and needs to do a better job.
Maybe with all of your military experience you can tell us….since Hamas uses human shields and imbeds their fighters and weapons among the populace….a better way

Your blame for civilian deaths among the Palestinian population is severely misguided

Reactions: goru1869
Maybe with all of your military experience you can tell us….since Hamas uses human shields and imbeds their fighters and weapons among the populace….a better way

Your blame for civilian deaths among the Palestinian population is severely misguided
I totally understand there will be civilian casualties in Gaza. I object to the callous view of many on this thread who would just “ carpet bomb” all Gaza. Approximately a million kids live there. Dropping two thousand pound dumb bombs on them can’t be the best way.

Reactions: Kbee3
odd post because this subject would have nothing to do with that...ya think its not important to talk about anti semitism and pro Hamas rallies at places of higher education
Thought you would be all over this:

The group that walked out of the ceremony waited to do so after the main speakers delivered their addresses and were not disruptive. Some in the stadium heard them call out “Free Palestine” as they left, and they marched briefly in front of the stadium entrance with their parents and relatives.

73664435007-050924-r-ugrad-008.JPG

More than 30 students left commencement, some chanting, ÒFree Palestine!Ó, Sunday, May 12, 2024, in Piscataway.
Kevin R. Wexler / NorthJersey.com

73665027007-050924-r-ugrad-018.JPG

A student wearing a keffiyeh, is shown after turning her back to the graduation speaker, Sunday, May 12, 2024, in Piscataway.
Kevin R. Wexler / NorthJersey.com

Last edited:
I totally understand there will be civilian casualties in Gaza. I object to the callous view of many on this thread who would just “ carpet bomb” all Gaza. Approximately a million kids live there. Dropping two thousand pound dumb bombs on them can’t be the best way.
And when you enemy hides their weapons and soldiers among the civilian population….your suggestion is?….other then there had got to be a better way?

The blame exclusively goes to one side and it isn’t the Israel’s

And when you enemy hides their weapons and soldiers among the civilian population….your suggestion is?….other then there had got to be a better way?

The blame exclusively goes to one side and it isn’t the Israel’s
We will have to disagree.

We will have to disagree.
Again…you haven’t told me anything how Israel should do better

Explain your position other than generalizing?

Explain how civilian deaths can be minimized when your enemy uses human shields and blends their weapons and fighters among the civilian populace?

I’ll be waiting for something other than….”they can do better”

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT