ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Reactions: Postman_1
Meta beat but issued a light forecast so dipping after hours. Seems it's all about future outlook with these earnings. Tesla puts out a loss but talks about a cheaper EV and they pump.

It was practically priced to perfection and had absolutely great run so any bit of bad news is going to be sold.

I think it’s still looks good long term and an opportunity to find a point to get in might present itself in the future if it drops enough.

Reactions: RU-05
It was practically priced to perfection and had absolutely great run so any bit of bad news is going to be sold.

I think it’s still looks good long term and an opportunity to find a point to get in might present itself in the future if it drops enough.
Not going to drop much. Back to near $500 in a blink of an eye. Forecasting Q2 at $37.75 billion instead of $38.30 billion. LOL at the stupid sellers!

Not going to drop much. Back to near $500 in a blink of an eye. Forecasting Q2 at $37.75 billion instead of $38.30 billion. LOL at the stupid sellers!
It’s dropped 15-20%, I wouldn’t expect that damage to be repaired so quickly if it continues through tomorrow’s session.

It’s the guidance that’s light but that sounds like it’s related to capex related to AI and the fruit of that capex won’t show up right away.

It’s dropped 15-20%, I wouldn’t expect that damage to be repaired so quickly if it continues through tomorrow’s session.

It’s the guidance that’s light but that sounds like it’s related to capex related to AI and the fruit of that capex won’t show up right away.
Guidance within 1-1.5%. Capex decreasing and getting more efficient. Moving spend to AI from metaverse. Makes a lot of sense. Nonsensical dips like this are quickly reversed. Even fundamentals are a screaming buy.

Last edited:
I don’t understand the robotaxi play - is Tesla selling them as part of their own taxi fleet or are people and taxi businesses going to buy them as owner/operators? Also, I can’t see the DOT approving robotaxis any time soon. I think there would be a better chance of getting robocopters approved for short distance low altitude flights. There are too many roadway/driving variables which is why Elon’s analogy to elevator operators decades ago makes no sense.

I don’t understand the robotaxi play - is Tesla selling them as part of their own taxi fleet or are people and taxi businesses going to buy them as owner/operators? Also, I can’t see the DOT approving robotaxis any time soon. I think there would be a better chance of getting robocopters approved for short distance low altitude flights. There are too many roadway/driving variables which is why Elon’s analogy to elevator operators decades ago makes no sense.
Both. People would be able to sign their own vehicle up to the fleet and/or Tesla would provide fleet vehicles. Waymo is already operating them in a few cities.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
The question is would you do it? I wouldn’t.
Would I do what? Buy a tobotaxi and sign it up to the fleet? Hell no! I can’t imagine spending big bucks on an asset and just have it driving it around all day….. I would be too distracted wondering what was going on. I was just in Cape May for the weekend…. Detours EVERYWHERE (and google maps couldn’t figure it out), one of the detours had me go on a one way road in the opposite direction…. I’m curious, what happens when traffic is directed by humans? Do these vehicles understand all hand motions a human might be making?

Would I do what? Buy a tobotaxi and sign it up to the fleet? Hell no! I can’t imagine spending big bucks on an asset and just have it driving it around all day….. I would be too distracted wondering what was going on. I was just in Cape May for the weekend…. Detours EVERYWHERE (and google maps couldn’t figure it out), one of the detours had me go on a one way road in the opposite direction…. I’m curious, what happens when traffic is directed by humans? Do these vehicles understand all hand motions a human might be making?
actually, You are buying a depreciating asset. If you dive in deeper. Would you actually net a profit given the depreciation. If Tesla has to actually pay for the cars, robotaxi business is not that attractive. Just ask Avis.

Likely connected via an app functioning similarly to Uber. User summons a ride, gets in, validates ID/payment, and off you go....

Reactions: T2Kplus20
True full autonomy will take a while to reach, but I bet discrete examples of it are closer than we think. What do I mean by that? Robotaxis going to predetermined locations. Airport, stadium, venue, shore town, etc. I think that is the first step.

Reactions: RU in IM
JP Morgan's 2024 year:

2 = 2% GDP growth
0 = no recessions
2 = PCE YoY down to 2%
4 = Under 4% unemployment.

Life is good.

and continue to mess it up.

either give a knockout punch and pick up the body or keep it lingering and hope it goes away organically
The Fed has no knockout punch when most people own homes outright or have a 3% fixed mortgage. The Fed is somewhat toothless. They can only make the problem worse.

The Fed has no knockout punch when most people own homes outright or have a 3% fixed mortgage. The Fed is somewhat toothless. They can only make the problem worse.
nope
they can still hit revolving credit

everything is just noise except inflation and unemployment

Reactions: RUDead
PCE report is tomorrow. Core YoY likely to drop to 2.7%.
Life is good.

Core PCE was today.

The Federal Reserve's primary inflation gauge, the core PCE (personal consumption expenditures) price index, rose at a 3.7% annual rate in Q4, above 3.4% expectations. That followed back-to-back quarters of tame 2% annualized inflation, right at the Fed's target.

Core PCE was today.

The Federal Reserve's primary inflation gauge, the core PCE (personal consumption expenditures) price index, rose at a 3.7% annual rate in Q4, above 3.4% expectations. That followed back-to-back quarters of tame 2% annualized inflation, right at the Fed's target.

"However, the data may not be as bad as it looks. A surge in portfolio management costs, which go up with the S&P 500, accounted for the full upside surprise in core inflation."

Is portfolio mgmt not in regular ole PCE?

Core PCE was today.

Core and Headline PCE are tomorrow. Core at 2.7% and Headline at 2.6% YoY. Also MoM will be reported. Stay tuned!

PCE report release date and time: Friday, April 26 at 8:30 a.m. EDT. The GDP report cited old quarterly data.

"Here's one reason not to panic, though: The price for portfolio management and investment advice services surged at a 31.8% annual rate in Q1. If not for that, the core PCE price index would have climbed 3.2%."

Both of these quotes are from this article.

"However, the data may not be as bad as it looks. A surge in portfolio management costs, which go up with the S&P 500, accounted for the full upside surprise in core inflation."

Is portfolio mgmt not in regular ole PCE?

Ha. That's crazy. I'm not sure about your question.

I think this is more of an indicator for tomorrow's number but it's such a big beat it got people's attention. Combined with the GDP number you are really seeing a big upward more in yields in the US and across Europe.

Ha. That's crazy. I'm not sure about your question.

I think this is more of an indicator for tomorrow's number but it's such a big beat it got people's attention. Combined with the GDP number you are really seeing a big upward more in yields in the US and across Europe.
Question was a legit(ie non rhetorical/argumentative).

Those fee's are in core, and they not in PCE?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT