ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sunday Brunch recommendations near NB

m1ipabrams

All American
Gold Member
Apr 15, 2007
Downingtown, PA
This Sunday is my daughter's B-day and we are headed up to NB to take her out to Brunch. Looking for a decent casual spot to take her. She has been to raffertys, so any other suggestions? Best case would be some place that is pet friendly so we can bring the dog along,as my daughter hasn't seen the dog all semester, but that is a nice to have not a requirement.

Thanks in advance.

This Sunday is my daughter's B-day and we are headed up to NB to take her out to Brunch. Looking for a decent casual spot to take her. She has been to raffertys, so any other suggestions? Best case would be some place that is pet friendly so we can bring the dog along,as my daughter hasn't seen the dog all semester, but that is a nice to have not a requirement.

Thanks in advance.

Stage House in Middlebush (Hamilton St to Amwell Rd)

http://www.stagehousetavern.com/somerset/sunday-brunch-somerset.html

Last edited:
You're going to be that guy who brings a darn dog into a restaurant?
I was hoping the weather would be nice enough that we could find someplace outdoors, but sunday looks crappy. We would only bring the dog if it is a dog friendly place. Recommendations so far don't look like we will bring him.

Rafferty's is one of the few brunch locations that has outdoor dining, so you could bring a dog. But the weather might not cooperate with you on Sunday anyway.

Can't imagine many brunch restaurants being dog friendly, but maybe you can bring the dog, let your daughter visit, then drop it at doggy daycare while at brunch?

Looks like there are a few different options in No Brunswick, E Brunswick, Highland Park, etc. Here's the one in No B, which appears to be open on Sundays: http://www.aaprnb.com

Have done this with my dog on vacations and such and works out well for dog and owners.

51b5+Jim3AL._AC_US160_.jpg

Only $18 on Amazon !

Rafferty's, only because it's simply way better than every other brunch option, IMHO - wish there were more out there. If you wait until 11:30 am or so, then all the lunch places are on the table.

The Dilinger Room on George Street if she’s old enough to have a drink with brunch

It gone rain so forget about outdoors..how about take your daughter home and make her a hone cooked meal and then she can enjoy all day

It's amazing that there aren't that many options for brunch in a college town.

I always found brunch to be overpriced bs mostly , especially on the holidays and Mother's Day etc. I get it though , women seem to love it and it sounds/looks cool on Facebook. But as a guy I grit my teeth and go to brunch only when I have to.
The choices in this thread like rafferty's and statehouse are solid

Reactions: soundcrib
Subway gets lots of families there for meals. Open layout of the restaurant makes it a great place for conversations and fun.

Sangria Sundays
$6 Glasses of Sangria & $22 Pitchers of Sangria

Sangria-Sunday-2.png

Bottomless Brunch EVERY
Saturday & Sunday from 12-3pm

$26 Any menu item on our Brunch Menu and unlimited Mimosas or Bloody Marys
George st Ale house

Reactions: PeteGiam07
I always found brunch to be overpriced bs mostly , especially on the holidays and Mother's Day etc. I get it though , women seem to love it and it sounds/looks cool on Facebook. But as a guy I grit my teeth and go to brunch only when I have to.
The choices in this thread like rafferty's and statehouse are solid

In NYC, brunch makes a surprising amount of sense when waking up late after long nights of partying/drinking, craving breakfast, and a whole bunch of places offer good deals which include one drink or bottomless drinks at fixed prices. I still prefer the morning bagel/coffee to keep it simple, though.

In New Jersey, I've found Turning Point to be a cheaper and tasty brunch chain (none in New Brunswick though, Westfield & Holmdel are closest locations), especially the one in Long Branch before a day at the beach..

Reactions: Plum Street
Would love that, but we are paying OOS tuition to RU and have a 90 min drive to NB.

In case you didn’t see previous post: The Dilinger Room on George St. I’ve since moved out of New Bruns, but my fiancé and I really enjoyed that place (provided your daughter is of legal drinking age)

Would love that, but we are paying OOS tuition to RU and have a 90 min drive to NB.

In case you didn’t see previous post: The Dilinger Room on George St. I’ve since moved out of New Bruns, but my fiancé and I really enjoyed that place (provided your daughter is of legal drinking age)
Well she is of drinking age, just not legal......

I think we are going to check out Stage House.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Apologies for the thread necro.

Curious where you wound up.

I took a bunch of family to Stage House for brunch today. Have to say that I felt it was mediocre; I was disappointed. Quality-wise, it was college cafeteria level.

I’ve been to Rafferty’s Sunday brunch several times and it was far better each time. Used to go to the brunch at the Hyatt, which was quite good. But they appear to have stopped doing it many years ago. There was a hotel farther up 287, about halfway up to Morristown, that was spectacular. But they stopped many years ago too.

Reactions: T2Kplus10

I took a bunch of family to Stage House for brunch today. Have to say that I felt it was mediocre; I was disappointed. Quality-wise, it was college cafeteria level.

I’ve been to Rafferty’s Sunday brunch several times and it was far better each time. Used to go to the brunch at the Hyatt, which was quite good. But they appear to have stopped doing it many years ago. There was a hotel farther up 287, about halfway up to Morristown, that was spectacular. But they stopped many years ago too.
I'm reading the responses wondering why someone would be looking for outdoor seating in February. Then I read your post and realized the thread is from October.

I'm reading the responses wondering why someone would be looking for outdoor seating in February. Then I read your post and realized the thread is from October.
Yeah, sorry. Didn’t want to start a duplicate. Although perhaps that would’ve been better and I could’ve linked to this one.

While I agree with your assessment that the Stage House is mediocre, I think it is better than a college cafeteria. Their brunch, quality wise, is more akin to the breakfast buffet at a chain business hotel.

But whether for brunch or dinner, the Stage House is always crowded. I don't get it, considering the cost and quality of the food. The only thing exceptional about the place is their patio during warmer months.

While I agree with your assessment that the Stage House is mediocre, I think it is better than a college cafeteria. Their brunch, quality wise, is more akin to the breakfast buffet at a chain business hotel.

But whether for brunch or dinner, the Stage House is always crowded. I don't get it, considering the cost and quality of the food. The only thing exceptional about the place is their patio during warmer months.
Have only been this one time for brunch. Just went and looked at at my CC bill and it appeared to only be about $23/head, before top, which isn’t too expensive at least.

Honestly, I’ve had better cafeteria food at various colleges over the years. I mean, the French toast was made with what appeared to be stale bread, or had at least been sitting around for awhile getting stiff. The singular waffle maker’s timer was malfunctioning. The breakfast sausage seemed undercooked.

They advertised a beef carving station, but had only pork loin or baked ham. And the pork loin was over cooked. First time to a brunch with no beef carving station.

Maybe it was just a very off week.

Agree it's better than a college cafeteria and on it being a great place to hang outside and get a meal. However, it's certainly nowhere near as good for brunch as Rafferty's, which is the best in the area, as far as I've seen. Fresh shrimp and king crab legs, bagels/lox/fixins, great "standard" breakfast items (eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage, french toast, waffles, etc.), including an omelette station, prime rib carving station, and some nice variable dishes, like maybe chicken francese, grilled salmon, and a couple of pastas.

It's amazing that there aren't that many options for brunch in a college town.

The best Sunday brunch in New Brunswick is Due Mari. It is wonderful, and better than everything else recommended here. Old Man Rafferty’s is the most popular brunch, but like others here, it doesn’t do it for me either.

Best Sunday brunch in the area (well, extended area) is the Bernards Inn. Agree with your Stage House assessment.

The best Sunday brunch in New Brunswick is Due Mari. It is wonderful, and better than everything else recommended here. Old Man Rafferty’s is the most popular brunch, but like others here, it doesn’t do it for me either.
Love Due Mari - somehow I never knew they had brunch - will have to give it a try. Although I was generally talking about brunch buffets, not straight brunches, when I said Rafferty's was the best. My favorite brunch place in that category would have to be Avenue down in Long Branch. Seriously good eats overlooking the ocean.

We did end up at Stage House. Unfortunately, I have to agree on the mediocre. Sorry should have posted at the time, but my momma always told me “If you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything”.

We have also done the Sunday brunch at Raffertys and that is indeed worth posting about.

Reactions: mildone

We need more OOS students like your daughter, and we need more OOS parents like you who understand that Rutgers is well worth attending.
Glad I clan help subsidize some native New Jerseyians college education. :)

Honestly we did not originally consider rutgers for my daughter, until she decided she wanted to study in an area that is not offered elsewhere(bio environmental engineering, and a focus on coastal/water quality). If she was looking for a more generic program we would be sending her somewhere cheaper. But I have to tell you that I am so glad I don’t have to wear PSU, Pitt, or Maryland gear......

Reactions: Sreichert1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT