ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sunday Brunch recommendations near NB

While I agree with your assessment that the Stage House is mediocre, I think it is better than a college cafeteria. Their brunch, quality wise, is more akin to the breakfast buffet at a chain business hotel.

But whether for brunch or dinner, the Stage House is always crowded. I don't get it, considering the cost and quality of the food. The only thing exceptional about the place is their patio during warmer months.
It's crowded because while the food there is mediocre, 90% of the food at restaurants in Franklin Twp is not fit for a dog. Plus it offers space for big groups, has a liquor license and ample parking.

Last edited:
Reactions: T2Kplus10
Dillinger Room in NB - This placed is closed
On Yelp it's being suggested that the place is closed for renovations. It would be a bummer if the closure is permanent; Dillinger Room had great drinks and a cool vibe the several times we came there, both for happy hour and evening drinks. Can't speak for brunch, however.

On Yelp it's being suggested that the place is closed for renovations. It would be a bummer if the closure is permanent; Dillinger Room had great drinks and a cool vibe the several times we came there, both for happy hour and evening drinks. Can't speak for brunch, however.
this is posted on their facebook page:

The Dillinger Room
December 26, 2017 ·
We will be closing down Jan 1st for a bit. Come out and enjoy the classic atmosphere of TDR and look forward to some cool new shit happening soon! #tdrhubcity

26166697_2474011782824836_961686254418669882_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RUsSKii
this is posted on their facebook page:

The Dillinger Room
December 26, 2017 ·
We will be closing down Jan 1st for a bit. Come out and enjoy the classic atmosphere of TDR and look forward to some cool new shit happening soon! #tdrhubcity

26166697_2474011782824836_961686254418669882_n.jpg
I was over there on George street this past week. I think it said it’s becoming a Neapolitan pizzeria.

I was hoping the weather would be nice enough that we could find someplace outdoors, but sunday looks crappy. We would only bring the dog if it is a dog friendly place. Recommendations so far don't look like we will bring him.
Why don't you bring your dog to one of those exotic Asian restaurants where they can cook the dog for you?

New place to be called Fatto Americano - Neopolitan pizza, etc. Owners of Destination Dogs new concept.

Lol, really horrible name.

Probably not to a college student - but that area is a little different than Easton Ave so it may cost them business. Not to mention there’s a pizzeria a couple doors down that’s been there forever - maybe a totally different concept though?

Probably not to a college student - but that area is a little different than Easton Ave so it may cost them business. Not to mention there’s a pizzeria a couple doors down that’s been there forever - maybe a totally different concept though?
The legendary Filippo's Pizza is literally right next door. They'll be sharing a wall. Fatto Americano has a liquor license, so it'll definitely have a different vibe. If it were me, I wouldn't want my new restaurant, which features pizza, to be adjacent to another pizza joint.

Reactions: RUSK97
The legendary Filippo's Pizza is literally right next door. They'll be sharing a wall. Fatto Americano has a liquor license, so it'll definitely have a different vibe. If it were me, I wouldn't want my new restaurant, which features pizza, to be adjacent to another pizza joint.
Hadn’t realized Filippo’s was renowned. Different target market, but still not a good idea IMHO.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
Seems this thread, or something very like it, pops up every year or so and I've found the RUFB community to be a pretty decent, and always entertaining, source of information about food.

I'm looking to take a group of roughly 20 out for a Sunday brunch. Ideally a buffet brunch. And it seems to have become difficult to find Sunday buffet brunches anymore. Plenty of brunches offered by restaurants, but not buffets.

I know Old Man Rafferty's does a Sunday buffet brunch, and it's usually pretty decent. But we're looking for maybe someplace that's a little quieter (to accommodate the older folks in the group).

Our priorities are: really good food, relatively quiet, roomy. Cost doesn't matter.

Figure a range of roughly 50 to 60 miles of New Brunswick in any direction, although would consider farther for a really good place.

Some possibilities we are considering, but know nothing about...
  • Boulevard 572 in Kenilworth
  • Rooney's Oceanfront in Long Branch
  • Stoney Brook Grille in Branchburg
Anybody know anything about those places or know of others that are any good?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Seems this thread, or something very like it, pops up every year or so and I've found the RUFB community to be a pretty decent, and always entertaining, source of information about food.

I'm looking to take a group of roughly 20 out for a Sunday brunch. Ideally a buffet brunch. And it seems to have become difficult to find Sunday buffet brunches anymore. Plenty of brunches offered by restaurants, but not buffets.

I know Old Man Rafferty's does a Sunday buffet brunch, and it's usually pretty decent. But we're looking for maybe someplace that's a little quieter (to accommodate the older folks in the group).

Our priorities are: really good food, relatively quiet, roomy. Cost doesn't matter.

Figure a range of roughly 50 to 60 miles of New Brunswick in any direction, although would consider farther for a really good place.

Not a buffet but Project P.U.B. in Somerville had good food the few times I went and they have a Sunday Brunch.

Reactions: mildone

http://www.stagehousetavern.com/somerset/somerset-brunch.html

Does the old Buttonwood Manor/MJ's place in Matawan still do there Sunday brunch?

I commend OP for the highly gay thread![thumb2]

Yes, brunch is very gay...it’s just the way it is![winking]
Well, okay, that's true. I can't deny that.

But I dress like a bum (often in cargo shorts), don't shower very often, like to fart, burp and scratch myself in public, leer and drool at the dance team, and watch at least one Die Hard movie per day, and am addicted to hookers and blow, which tips the scale back in the direction of hetero territory.

Just don't ask me how many times I've cried during when Bella becomes a vampire while watching Twilight. :)

Rat’s Restaurant, Hamilton, NJ
(Grounds for Sculpture)

https://www.ratsrestaurant.com/event/fathers-day-bbq-brunch/

Go RU!
Diane
Good recommendation. I actually called Rat's yesterday about it.

But they no longer do a buffet brunch (except for special occasions like father's day). And this isn't a father's day thing. We're targeting the 30th or later.

So we put Rat's on a back-burner as a potential fall-back though. But it's a very good place.

Reactions: rondi
But I dress like a bum (often in cargo shorts), don't shower very often, like to fart, burp and scratch myself in public, leer and drool at the dance team, and watch at least one Die Hard movie per day, and am addicted to hookers and blow, which tips the scale back in the direction of hetero territory.

You're not gonna act like this on the boat, are you..?

That looks pretty good. Thanks.

I'll have to check w/people to see if they are willing to travel that far. I actually drive past it every couple weeks or so. So even if I don't do it with this group, I'll head there at some point soon to check it out.

And, as a bonus, the name of the restaurant, Cock'n Bull, can be easily be interpreted to be in keeping with with the overall gayness of the thread. [laughing]

Stagehouse Tavern in Somerset.

Molly Pitcher Inn in Red Bank.

I'll think of more.
Appreciate the suggestions. I've added Molly Pitcher to the list to check out.

Regarding the Stagehouse, some of us tried it last year and weren't blown away.

Appreciate the suggestions. I've added Molly Pitcher to the list to check out.

Regarding the Stagehouse, some of us tried it last year and weren't blown away.

Agreed about Stagehouse but they do have that nice backyard. Like it there but dont love it. Molly Pitcher is your best bet.

In @mildone 's defense his brunchs usually include a healthy portion of hookers and blow.
Don't all Sunday brunches have hookers and blow?

But I like to make sure everybody's happy, so I always make sure there are both female and male hookers. And sheep for my Scottish guests.

Why do Scotsmen wear kilts?

Well yeah... I mean, what else?
LOL.

Is no problem. I'll probably just wander around in my boxer-briefs, which is how I normally dress for sailing, business meetings, jogging, that sort of thing.

But the girls might find that pretty objectionable. Completely harmless, but still objectionable.

LOL.

Is no problem. I'll probably just wander around in my boxer-briefs, which is how I normally dress for sailing, business meetings, jogging, that sort of thing.

But the girls might find that pretty objectionable. Completely harmless, but still objectionable.

I should probably give you more detail on the crew. You'll be compelled to reevaluate this post.

Here's a hint: the last time I went up to their apartment, the kid's roomie answered the door wearing a t-shirt. Just. And I was completely expected and dead-balls on-time. After 5 minutes of conversation she sighs, and says "I guess I should probably put some pants on."

This was not the first time something like this happened.

So... yeah.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT