ADVERTISEMENT

Weather for Akron @ RU: Mild and Humid (mid-70s for highs) w/tailgates looking mostly dry, but some showers possible during the game

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
Fairly high confidence in it being seasonably warm (a high in the upper 70s is likely after a low in the low 60s; 81/62F hi/lo is normal for 9/7), but unfortunately this looks like one of those forecasts where we might not know the outcome with regard to rain chances until close to the event. A front comes through on Friday, but whether that front clears the area completely or stalls a bit is the question and that leads to uncertainty on the track of a low likely to form along that front, i.e., the low and rain could be very close to us or it could be well SE of us. Just too early to predict with any accuracy, given what the models look like right now (GFS shows it dry all day, CMC shows mostly dry after heavy rain Friday night into early sat, and the Euro shows a deluge through late morning, but clearing out after that and 7 days out, those outcomes/timings could change significantly still).

https://www.weather.gov/phi/

.LONG TERM /TUESDAY THROUGH SATURDAY/...

Uncertainty develops for the end of the week into the weekend due to
an approaching cold front from the west and possible low pressure
lifting northward from our south. Guidance the last few models runs
have been back and forth in regards to keeping the low offshore
bringing it close to the region. We will keep low end probabilities
of precipitation due to the uncertainty Friday through Saturday.

Last edited:
I dont like trend at all for the Friday night/Saturday forecast. Going to see STP/Live at PNC Fri night and game at noon Akron...both events could see rain dampen the spirits

Models moved towards a wetter scenario for Saturday morning/afternoon, with the CMC showing 1-2" of rain from about sunrise through 3 pm, the GFS showing about 1/2-1" of rain and the Euro showing only about 1/4". With more of that rain falling in the morning than the afternoon, let's hope for this system to move through a bit faster, giving us a chance for a dry or mostly dry day. Otherwise the potential is there for this to be a washout of a day. Temps still look seasonable with highs in the upper 70s. Still a long way to go and much can change 6 days out. Going to be absolutely gorgeous from now through Friday, though - perfect September weather.

LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY/...

More uncertainty for the end of the week into the weekend due to an
approaching cold front from the west and possible low pressure
lifting northward from our south. Latest guidance shows better
agreement that this low will bring the area rain, potentially even
some heavy rain, around the Friday/Saturday time frame. That said,
there remains uncertainty regarding the exact speed and timing of
the system. For this reason, we stayed close to NBM forecast which
keeps mainly chance POPs in the forecast for Friday through Saturday.

.....but unfortunately this looks like one of those forecasts where we might not know the outcome with regard to rain chances until close to the event.
Wow, a week is too long to predict the weather? Hmm.

no-shit.gif

@RU848789 Numbers, how are we looking? Any changes?
Well, I'm glad I didn't post last night's 0Z model results, as almost all of them were showing a deluge for Saturday morning/afternoon. Fortunately, today's 12Z models have backed off the precip amounts a fair amount and some are now showing a later arrival of precip, i.e., mostly after about noon and less precip, i.e., maybe 1/4-1/2" (as opposed to 1-2" last night). Problem is we're still ~5 days away and we often see this kind of variability in model runs when there's a potential precip event.

As I said in the first post of the thread, this looks like one of those situations where the forecast won't be locked down until a day or so before the game - especially since RU football fans are notoriously fair weather fans and very small amounts of rain seem to be a problem for many and it's very hard to accurately predict small amounts of rain. And the best guess now (for about 8 am to 4 pm) is we could get small amounts of rain, i.e., 0.1-0.2" or so or we could get substantially more, i.e., 0.5-1" or more. A dry forecast is looking unlikely, although it's still possible. Yes, that's the range of uncertainty at this timeframe.

Well, I'm glad I didn't post last night's 0Z model results, as almost all of them were showing a deluge for Saturday morning/afternoon. Fortunately, today's 12Z models have backed off the precip amounts a fair amount and some are now showing a later arrival of precip, i.e., mostly after about noon and less precip, i.e., maybe 1/4-1/2" (as opposed to 1-2" last night). Problem is we're still ~5 days away and we often see this kind of variability in model runs when there's a potential precip event.

As I said in the first post of the thread, this looks like one of those situations where the forecast won't be locked down until a day or so before the game - especially since RU football fans are notoriously fair weather fans and very small amounts of rain seem to be a problem for many and it's very hard to accurately predict small amounts of rain. And the best guess now (for about 8 am to 4 pm) is we could get small amounts of rain, i.e., 0.1-0.2" or so or we could get substantially more, i.e., 0.5-1" or more. A dry forecast is looking unlikely, although it's still possible. Yes, that's the range of uncertainty at this timeframe.
Could this be like the Michigan State game?

I dont like trend at all for the Friday night/Saturday forecast. Going to see STP/Live at PNC Fri night and game at noon Akron...both events could see rain dampen the spirits
STP without Weiland? Just not the same. Should have ended STP and restarted under another name.

Could this be like the Michigan State game?
Certainly possible with regard to little rain for the tailgates and more significant rain possible for the game; however, the temps were in the mid-50s for that game, while temps are likely to be in the mid/upper 70s for Akron - that'll at least make any rainfall less "uncomfortable" for the sensitive types.

It will be fine. The new singer sounds great and quite frankly over 10 years ago Weiland gave a disastrous performance at pnc that embarrassed his bandmates so im ok with it
Yeah, he was drugged up for such a long time. Very sad. Wasted talent. I saw STP at their height in the late 90s at MSG. Aerosmith came out to play a song or two with them. Amazing experience.

Parking is still free down the hill right?
Yeah. And there is that side lot closer to the swim club (look at overhead on Google Maps). That's fine if you are going north after the show, but for those of us who want to head South, we have to exit Parkway and get back on.
STP with new singer should be fine. Bass player and guitar player are from Pt. Pleasant. Not sure if Live plays first, but never really like them, and it would be torture to sit through them. But I see Soul Asylum is on the bill, and they are a solid band.

Yeah. And there is that side lot closer to the swim club (look at overhead on Google Maps). That's fine if you are going north after the show, but for those of us who want to head South, we have to exit Parkway and get back on.
STP with new singer should be fine. Bass player and guitar player are from Pt. Pleasant. Not sure if Live plays first, but never really like them, and it would be torture to sit through them. But I see Soul Asylum is on the bill, and they are a solid band.
Wait, Soul Asylum, Live & STP? I need to change all my plans!

Reactions: Knight Shift
Focus, people, focus! Just kidding - I personally don't care about tangents that aren't obnoxious. Was never a big fan of Live, either. Liked STP and Soul Asylum a fair amount, but I've never been a big fan of "let's replace the lead singer with random dude" approach - it's just not the same. Might as well have a Weiland hologram up there with his actual voice via AI (that's coming).

Going to see my first "big" show (i.e., in a venue that holds more than 5000 people - I generally prefer small venues) in several years, as a friend had an extra ticket for Pearl Jam in Philly next week. Pretty excited for that, as I've never seen them (did see Eddie Vedder about 14 years ago in Montreal and he was fantastic). Just saw Blackberry Smoke and Whisky Myers at the Stone Pony summerstage a week or so ago - both bands brought serious southern/hard rock energy. And saw Vacations at Union Transfer in Philly about a month ago - indie band from Down Under who we like a lot.

Focus, people, focus! Just kidding - I personally don't care about tangents that aren't obnoxious. Was never a big fan of Live, either. Liked STP and Soul Asylum a fair amount, but I've never been a big fan of "let's replace the lead singer with random dude" approach - it's just not the same. Might as well have a Weiland hologram up there with his actual voice via AI (that's coming).

Going to see my first "big" show (i.e., in a venue that holds more than 5000 people - I generally prefer small venues) in several years, as a friend had an extra ticket for Pearl Jam in Philly next week. Pretty excited for that, as I've never seen them (did see Eddie Vedder about 14 years ago in Montreal and he was fantastic). Just saw Blackberry Smoke and Whisky Myers at the Stone Pony summerstage a week or so ago - both bands brought serious southern/hard rock energy. And saw Vacations at Union Transfer in Philly about a month ago - indie band from Down Under who we like a lot.
Some bands make the replacement singer work. Alice In Chains did it pretty well, but the band would never be the same without Layne fronting. Live's lead singer was very punchable- something about the guy--took himself too seriously. Pearl Jam took a long time to grow on me, as I liked the harder Seattle bands. Question- what is your opinion of the Summer Stage at the Stone Pony? Went to 1 or 2 shows there, and to me, it feels like a prison with Porta Johns. Sight lines not great. I have skipped many shows there because the venue is such a turn off. Maybe I need to lighten up. LOL.

Some bands make the replacement singer work. Alice In Chains did it pretty well, but the band would never be the same without Layne fronting. Live's lead singer was very punchable- something about the guy--took himself too seriously. Pearl Jam took a long time to grow on me, as I liked the harder Seattle bands. Question- what is your opinion of the Summer Stage at the Stone Pony? Went to 1 or 2 shows there, and to me, it feels like a prison with Porta Johns. Sight lines not great. I have skipped many shows there because the venue is such a turn off. Maybe I need to lighten up. LOL.
Wow, I love the sight lines there and the setting in front of the setting sun is cool. But then again, I'm 6'2" and that always helps with sight lines - my wife has RA, so won't really go to standing only shows anymore and if she did, at 5'1" I'm pretty sure she would hate the sight lines at SP. We were maybe 50' from the stage (everyone was over 6' tall) and had great views of everything. Beers were easy to get and were fairly cheap and had a good dinner on the boardwalk before the show at Robinson's Ale House (food's good, if overpriced, but the view can't be beat).

Live is awesome imo..your show in AC would be torture to my ears. Soul Aslyem incredibly boring not my cup of tea. That overplayed song was drek..runaway train

Unfortunately its just Ed with different band members as a huge rift caused irreparable damages between the childhood friends

• Sad
Live is awesome imo..your show in AC would be torture to my ears. Soul Aslyem incredibly boring not my cup of tea. That overplayed song was drek..runaway train

Unfortunately its just Ed with different band members as a huge rift caused irreparable damages between the childhood friends
Agreed, Soul Asylum is the textbook definition of one-hit wonder. As for Pearl Jam, did something happen recently? I thought the 4 core members have been together since the beginning. I remember reading that they brought on Josh K (formally of RHCP until John F returned).

Pearl Jam is one of those band that didn't age well. Pretty awesome in the beginning, but they never could recapture the magic of the early 90s.

Reactions: bac2therac
Certainly possible with regard to little rain for the tailgates and more significant rain possible for the game; however, the temps were in the mid-50s for that game, while temps are likely to be in the mid/upper 70s for Akron - that'll at least make any rainfall less "uncomfortable" for the sensitive types.
Looks the rain is be pushed out some. Nothing now on Friday but our Saturday looks dicey.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT