ADVERTISEMENT

BACATOLOGY: NCAA TOURNAMENT ANALYSIS 2/21

UNC is 5-0 vs Q2 and 11-0 Q3. That has to mean something.

UNC has a tougher schedule than Rutgers.
UNC is 20-8
RU is 16-10

The conversation should be over.
Didn't they lose to Pitt? Or is that a Quad 4 loss now. I think it was borderline 3/4

UNC is 20-8
RU is 16-10

Tougher schedule? OOC of course but overall? Don’t think that’s possible because the ACC blows donkey dick.

UNC has played 4 games against teams that are currently ranked and lost them all by a combined 75 points.

We played 7 games against teams that are currently ranked and went 5-2.

UNC played 5 other games against teams with a chance to make the tourney (NONE are locks) and went 2-3…convincing wins over Michigan and UVA, a close loss to ND, and blowout losses to Wake and Miami.

We played 3 other games against teams with a chance to make the tourney (2 are locks) and came away with convincing wins over Michigan and MSU and a big loss to SHU.

So 10 games for us against real competition, we’re 7-3. 9 games for UNC against real competition, they’re 2-7.

If they went undefeated against the cupcakes maybe that could make up for it, but they didn’t. They lost, at home, to Pitt and it wasn’t particularly close.

Reactions: RUinOhio and goru7

UNC is 20-8
RU is 16-10

I agree they will probably get in.

However - I kind of see it as their conference is only a little better than a mid-major this year. While you know I’m not a a fan of style points or using MOV generally as an evaluation metric (quant) - UNC didn’t just lose their Q1 games - they were take to the shed in 5 of 7 of them - not competitive at all. (And they were down 13 to Purdue too with 30 seconds left then hit a couple shots to make it a 9 point margin). Only ND was a close loss and they are a fringe bubble team.

Remember we were talking about that Nebraska team that got left out? UNC’s resume reminds me of theirs.

Reactions: biker7766 and goru7
UNC played Kentucky Purdue and Tennessee. they'd be 23-5 if they replaced those games with 3 of our cupcakes.

Seems like you're focusing too much on OOC SOS. We play 20 B1G games and play the top 3 teams in the conference twice each

UNC played Kentucky Purdue and Tennessee. they'd be 23-5 if they replaced those games with 3 of our cupcakes.

i dont think you realize that there is Duke maybe Notre Dame and Miami who are equal to Michigan and Indiana and then no one else, Now compare to Big 10 and remember Purdue is better than Duke. Big 10 has 4 schools in the top 5 seed line, ACC wont get their 2nd until maybe the 9 seed line.

ACC is garbage, you think its the 90s

i dont think you realize that there is Duke maybe Notre Dame and Miami who are equal to Michigan and Indiana and then no one else, Now compare to Big 10 and remember Purdue is better than Duke. Big 10 has 4 schools in the top 5 seed line, ACC wont get their 2nd until maybe the 9 seed line.

UNC has had 1 home opportunity vs Q1 we have had 5.

Is UNC losing to...
at NW
at PSU
at MIN
MD
at UMASS
at Depaul

Their resume says no

I realize that ACC has 16 teams B1G has 14. Yes B1G is better top to bottom, BUT it isn't like the ACC is filled with UMASSes

Their overall strength of schedule is better than ours and their record is much better than ours. If you have 6 Q1 wins but you lose to NW, PSU, MIN MD MASS DePaul you are still 6-6 in those games.

I realize that ACC has 16 teams B1G has 14. Yes B1G is better top to bottom, BUT it isn't like the ACC is filled with UMASSes

Their overall strength of schedule is better than ours and their record is much better than ours. If you have 6 Q1 wins but you lose to NW, PSU, MIN MD MASS DePaul you are still 6-6 in those games.

Not sure why you think their overall SOS is better than ours. NET, barttorvik, kenpom, and sagarin all have our SOS as stronger than UNC.... only RPI has it flipped.

I'm trying to understand what Greene is trying to argue for.....is he actually saying UNC is better than RU or would be better playing RUs schedule??

How about you pull up the metrics and tell us which ACC team comes to the RAC and wins, outside of Duke??.

The ACC venues are nowhere nearly as difficult to play in. Outside of Duke and maybe UVA (which Iowa beat by the way on UVAs home court) and Florida State who has their entire starting lineup out....RU would be 2nd in ACC and probably splits with Duke home and home.

Keep in mind UVA and Miami both won at Duke this year....the ACC is not good this year.

Is UNC talented and loaded with 4* or 5* kids?? Sure, but they have a 1st time HC and play literally matador defense most nights.

I'm trying to understand what Greene is trying to argue for.....is he actually saying UNC is better than RU or would be better playing RUs schedule??

How about you pull up the metrics and tell us which ACC team comes to the RAC and wins, outside of Duke??.

The ACC venues are nowhere nearly as difficult to play in. Outside of Duke and maybe UVA (which Iowa beat by the way on UVAs home court) and Florida State who has their entire starting lineup out....RU would be 2nd in ACC and probably splits with Duke home and home.
Whether RU is better than UNC isnt really irrelevant. WHen you compare our total resume and their total resume UNC's is better.....their schedule was tougher and they had a better WL%.

Keep in mind UVA and Miami both won at Duke this year....the ACC is not good this year.

Is UNC talented and loaded with 4* or 5* kids?? Sure, but they have a 1st time HC and play literally matador defense most nights.
I never made any argument saying UNC is better than Rutgers. Based solely on resumes one could/should conclude RU would not have had a better record than UNC playing UNC's schedule AND UNC would have a better record than RU playing their schedule.

Whether RU is better than UNC isnt really irrelevant. WHen you compare our total resume and their total resume UNC's is better.....their schedule was tougher and they had a better WL%.

Not sure what I looked at - maybe I had the year wrong?

Either way, I dispute the argument that their SOS is tougher.... they certainly haven't faced nearly the number of top teams as Rutgers has, but the bottom end of their schedule wasn't as low as ours either.

RU has played 8 games in the NET Top 30 (going 6-2), while UNC has played 4 (going 0-4). Not sure why you think that's a tougher road.

Also, UNC's remaining schedule has (@9 Duke, 86 Cuse, @133 NC State) while Rutgers has (@34 Michigan, 20 Wisconsin, @44 Indiana, 84 Penn St)

If we beat Michigan tomorrow, Duke may be UNC's only shot at beating a team that's tournament-bound.

I think it is safe to say no resume EVER in the NCAA tournament has ever looked like Rutgers.

they may have a negative correlation between strength of opponent and result. Not sure how you evaluate that.

how can you ignore Rutgers inability to beat average teams

Also, UNC's remaining schedule has (@9 Duke, 86 Cuse, @133 NC State) while Rutgers has (@34 Michigan, 20 Wisconsin, @44 Indiana, 84 Penn St)

If we beat Michigan tomorrow, Duke may be UNC's only shot at beating a team that's tournament-bound.
UNC has the ACCt

I think it is safe to say no resume EVER in the NCAA tournament has ever looked like Rutgers.

they may have a negative correlation between strength of opponent and result. Not sure how you evaluate that.

how can you ignore Rutgers inability to beat average teams

Wisconsin about 5 or 6 years ago

No they arent..show me receipts..the nest they beat was mich
But they don’t lose 50% of their games against UMASS types. That means something

you do realize there is a little conflict in the RU scheduling argument you make. UNC has a very good OOC SOS. Again they are 23-5 right now if they went RU SOS route.

But they don’t lose 50% of their games against UMASS types. That means something

you do realize there is a little conflict in the RU scheduling argument you make. UNC has a very good OOC SOS. Again they are 23-5 right now if they went RU SOS route.

So they would be like Wakecwho is barely in

Unc would have zero wins vs field and still be on the bubble

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT