ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
nursing homes already pared down, are you trying to be dense on purpose...40-45% of all deaths from nursing homes

Which is the average in the country.

Average percentage of COVID deaths occurring in nursing homes/LTC facilities in the country is 43%. NJ's is 44%, which is slightly above the average, while NY's is 21%, which is the best in the USA (altough 5 states didnt' report enough data to know, even though they're likely lower). Singling out Murphy and Cuomo, especially - and governors of states hit hardest/earliest, when we were least prepared, since the Administration failed so badly on testing - has always seemed a bit overdone. Almost every state and every country failed to protect the elderly in such facilities well, except the ones that protected all of their citizens well, like Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, etc.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-nursing-homes.html

Last edited:
Positive development. Has she shared whether she sees a noticeable difference in positive outcomes?
Response: "We have been treating them as if they had Kawasaki disease. Combination of blood thinners, steroids, and blood pressure medication. We haven’t had kids ending up in the PICU and dying like they did when we were first seeing this syndrome show up. It’s sad because I’ve heard a lot of the doctors talk about how they wish they had known how to treat it when those first kids came in because they probably wouldn’t have died. The bloodwork on the ones we’ve had more recently has tended to normalize and they go home. Honestly, now we only have a a handful of Covid cases in peds and they’re all stable".

Show your work. Or is this just wild speculation? It's also been theorized that deaths should start trending up shortly.

It's also possible its a combination of multiple factors (much younger average age of hosts, better treatment, some with antibodies from already having the virus, etc.)

I've read it mutated into more contagious, but the severity is the same.
The opinions of many professionals are seeing a possible mutating virus more contagious but less deadly. We will know in 1 month how deadly this recent surge really is.

I know there are numerous factors as to why the recent death rate in the US is down, including the simple fact that the cases are still active.

But is it possible that the virus has mutated weaker in the US, or even part of the US, while also having a non mutated strain still going in South America?

I assume it's possible, but it's very unlikely. SARS/MERS had evolutionary pressure to mutate to weaker strains to allow more infections to occur (viruses simply want to reproduce), while CV2 has been incredibly "successful" in infecting huge numbers of people so I don't think there's any evolutionary pressure to mutate into a weaker form and, so far, there's not any evidence it has weakened. It's far more likely that we simply haven't seen the death rate rise in response to the case rise yet, plus even when it does, as I've said, I think the rise will be significantly less than the first wave for the reasons we've been discussing for days (younger population infected + better medical procedures + better treatments). But globally, this graphic clearly shows deaths increasing worldwide.

https://www.ft.com/content/a26fbf7e-48f8-11ea-aeb3-955839e06441

n0mRBYQ.png

Mayor of Atlanta tests postive. Says she always takes all the precautions. Speaks volumes that corona going to do what it wants

takes all the precautions you know except when she joins in the protests packed shoulder to shoulder with people, nice social distancing.

Of course we all know covid 19 can't infect someone who is protesting right.
5ed975ee363da.image.jpg

Regeneron’s antibody cocktail moving along, includes Phase III’s. Wish we could fast forward 2 months.

https://newsroom.regeneron.com/news...s-start-regn-cov2-phase-3-covid-19-prevention

Nice to see them pursuing both prevention and treatment trials. Regeneron has been my bet to produce the best engineered antibody treatment since they announced their program in mid-March, given their success with the same approach, which was successfully used for the Ebola virus. More in the link from the old thread below. Can't wait to see the results (should be September) and am hoping it's pretty close to a cure.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...entions-and-more.191275/page-176#post-4609892

Certainly doesn't match the graph the says
25 in it. And NJ annouced an increase right?? So how are they green??

Actually, the orange range is 10-50% increase. They are within that range even if they are on the low end of it.

And....on the date that chart was published NJ was green because it's a 7 day average. So, if NJ had a one day increase it does not yet change the 7 day average to move them to another range.

Did you really think the chart was based on 1 day of information ?

Another interesting take away from the Spanish antibody study is that 14% of the people lost their antibodies by the end. It was only a 3 month study.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/202...06reuters-health-coronavirus-spain-study.html

Certainly not an expert in antibodies and the immune system, which is why I wrote the post linked below, which contains a few other links to papers/articles on this topic, which are really well done. The short answer is we don't know what this means for longer term immunity, especially since we can't even be sure right now that antibodies are the key to immunity, given that T-cells also play a major role and those are being seen in people never infected with CV2 (the cross-reactivity observation). We also don't know what it means for any vaccine, since vaccines, in theory, would produce higher levels of antibodies than we see in many recovered patients. All things being equal, it would be better for antibodies to persist for a long time, likely conferring long time immunity, so it's possible any vaccine might be needed to be given annually or even twice a year. Nobody knows the answers to these questions yet.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...entions-and-more.191275/page-192#post-4616035

Reactions: Greg2020
Actually, the orange range is 10-50% increase. They are within that range even if they are on the low end of it.

And....on the date that chart was published NJ was green because it's a 7 day average. So, if NJ had a one day increase it does not yet change the 7 day average to move them to another range.
Actually it's been several days. Since last Thursday.

https://www.newsmax.com/us/doctor-covid-asthma-budesonide/2020/07/06/id/975952/

i know this is 1 doctors anecdotal experience, however looking int it I see this drug has a trial going in Brisbane and I had never heard of it before.

As I said the day the HCQ news came out, one should usually be suspicious of medical findings being announced in the media instead of published in medical journals and reviewed by medical peers (especially on non-randomized/controlled clinical trials). This one looks a lot like that. Having said that, dexamethasone, another old steroid, was just shown in a randomized, controlled trial to significantly reduce mortality in COVID patients, so it's possible an inhaled steroid could be beneficial.

Nice to see them pursuing both prevention and treatment trials. Regeneron has been my bet to produce the best engineered antibody treatment since they announced their program in mid-March, given their success with the same approach, which was successfully used for the Ebola virus. More in the link from the old thread below. Can't wait to see the results (should be September) and am hoping it's pretty close to a cure.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...entions-and-more.191275/page-176#post-4609892

When do you think results from Phase I will be released? All they say is that the trial got a positive review from an independent committee.

Agree about their proven track record with Ebola. Really seems like they have the process down and are taking potential mutations into considerations,

Texas matched its highest single-day death toll of the crisis, and marked a new high for the 7-day moving average.

Again, I’m not suggesting these states will put up NY or NJ type numbers in the coming weeks(for all we know, the early states could have had case numbers that dwarf what we are seeing now in the south), but Texas, FL, Arizona all have death counts trending higher — well north of their June lows.

And the graph is wrong about cases. You are another that believes anything that is thrown in front of you as long as it fits your agenda.
The graph is something that you never are, and that would be correct.

When do you think results from Phase I will be released? All they say is that the trial got a positive review from an independent committee.

Agree about their proven track record with Ebola. Really seems like they have the process down and are taking potential mutations into considerations,
Not sure, but they published their pre-clinical info in a pretty timely manner, so I would imagine soon...

Average percentage of COVID deaths occurring in nursing homes/LTC facilities in the country is 35%. NJ's is 41%, which is a little above the average, while NY's is 20%, which is 2nd best in the USA. Singling out Murphy and Cuomo, especially - and governors of states hit hardest/earliest, when we were least prepared, since the Administration failed so badly on testing - has always seemed a bit overdone. Almost every state and every country failed to protect the elderly in such facilities well, except the ones that protected all of their citizens well, like Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, etc.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/05/09/us/coronavirus-cases-nursing-homes-us.html
That was May 11th.

This one is June 27th.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-nursing-homes.html

Not fully up to date, but best I could find.

Texas matched its highest single-day death toll of the crisis, and marked a new high for the 7-day moving average.

Again, I’m not suggesting these states will put up NY or NJ type numbers in the coming weeks(for all we know, the early states could have had case numbers that dwarf what we are seeing now in the south), but Texas, FL, Arizona all have death counts trending higher — well north of their June lows.
That # coming out on a Monday is even more worrying, as Monday's tend to be very light in reporting. Last Monday was 21 deaths. Monday before that was 16.

Last edited:
If I see a NY Slimes link I skip the entire post.

It can't be trusted and has no integrity

Can you guys include legit source please
The Times is still the best source out there for straight news. I can understand being in disagreement with any media source's editorial page, but for the most part, I'm pretty good with any of the major papers for reporting the who/what/where/when and sometimes why of the actual events of the day.

Average percentage of COVID deaths occurring in nursing homes/LTC facilities in the country is 43%. NJ's is 44%, which is slightly above the average, while NY's is 21%, which is the best in the USA (altough 5 states didnt' report enough data to know, even though they're likely lower). Singling out Murphy and Cuomo, especially - and governors of states hit hardest/earliest, when we were least prepared, since the Administration failed so badly on testing - has always seemed a bit overdone.

There you go again. The adminsitration didn't fail at testing. The CDC failed at testing - and masks, aerosol transmission etc.

Cuomo had a whole Navy hospital ship sitting empty while seniors were sent to die. NY was massively disorganized.

There you go again. The adminsitration didn't fail at testing. The CDC failed at testing - and masks, aerosol transmission etc.

Cuomo had a whole Navy hospital ship sitting empty while seniors were sent to die. NY was massively disorganized.

CDC reports to Azar who reports to Trump. Stop being so naive. Whether you like it or not, in matters of national security (and pandemics clearly fall in that realm), the POTUS gets the credit or the blame for the federal government's response.

Wait NJ had somewhere in the range of 6500 deaths in Nursing Facilities... NY had more around 11-12 k so how in the world is 21% possible in NY?

The Times is still the best source out there for straight news. I can understand being in disagreement with any media source's editorial page, but for the most part, I'm pretty good with any of the major papers for reporting the who/what/where/when and sometimes why of the actual events of the day.

lmfao

Interesting take on Sweden, they are still playing the long game and it may pay off in the end:

What Sweden Can Teach Us About Coronavirus
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/07/03/what-sweden-can-teach-us-about-coronavirus-348462

You tried this before and crashed and burned, especially when you said that, "Sweden is doing a great job as well. Sounds like they are approaching herd immunity and will be done worrying about corona soon." Sweden is at about 7% with antibodies, way, way below herd immunity levels of 55-80% (and we can't count on any possible T-cell cross-reactivity immunity yet, for the purposes of this discussion).

http://outbreaknewstoday.com/sweden...fection-antibody-tests-in-blood-donors-98648/

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...ventions-and-more.191275/page-93#post-4538236

Below is my post from the beginning of May showing how badly Sweden was doing vs. its similarly situated Nordic neighbors. The fluff article you posted from Politico compared Sweden to Portugal for some reason and ignored Finland, Norway and Denmark, which are much better comparisons. And below that is the post from early June in which the architect for Sweden's minimalist approach essentially admitted they erred in not taking more aggressive interventions.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...ventions-and-more.191275/page-94#post-4538986

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...entions-and-more.191275/page-147#post-4594796

I updated the table from May below, which is all from Worldometers. Who would pick Sweden's results over Norway and Finland? Thought so. All three have similar population densities and cultures, yet Sweden has about 10X as many deaths per capita. Sweden even did much worse with regard to deaths per 1MM (because they did much worse with interventions to prevent cases, which prevent deaths) than more densely populated Denmark just to its south and even much larger and more densely populated Germany. Sweden's deaths per capita are right in range with the worst European countries, like the UK, Spain, Italy and France.

Country......Cases/1MM.......Deaths/1MM........Tests/1MM.....Density (per sq mi)
Sweden...........7238.....................538.....................51K.....................56
Finland............1310......................59............. .........46K....................43
Norway............1648......................46.......................66K....................41
Denmark.........2223......................105....................197K..................345
Germany.........2364......................109.....................70K...................576

And here's a link to a blog which shows much of the data in the table above, graphically.
https://ugandansatheart.blogspot.com/2020/04/uah-if-coronavirus-is-so-deadly-why-was.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT