ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please link me an article that advises people to change their lifestyle as the most effective preventative measure you can take to avoid dying from this virus.
BOOM! Well said.
thumbsup.gif

Everyone has the ability to lose weight and eliminate the biggest risk factor of serious corona complications. The PSA should be pushed everyday.

Sorry, but you’re wrong. If you start out by avoiding those comorbitities, you are way less likely to succumb to the virus. And if you also practice distancing, wash regularly and use common sense that will improve your chances of minimizing the symptoms and survival. You should also see a physician as soon as you suspect symptoms. People die because they wait too long.
Obese people are 4x more likely to have serious complications and severely/morbidly obese people are 6x more likely.

Sadly, some in this country hate messages of personal responsibility.

Sorry, but you’re wrong. If you start out by avoiding those comorbitities, you are way less likely to succumb to the virus. And if you also practice distancing, wash regularly and use common sense that will improve your chances of minimizing the symptoms and survival. You should also see a physician as soon as you suspect symptoms. People die because they wait too long.
No, actually you're really wrong (and I might have to invoke the spirit of @willisneverrana43 here). Do you seriously not get it that if one doesn't get infected by COVID that one can't die from COVID? Look at the table below, which shows exactly what I said in my previous post. Countries in the table with very low death rates per capita (<10 deaths/1MM) all have <600 cases/1MM, and every country with under 600 cases/1MM has under 20 deaths/1MM, even including the rest not listed below (I had to cut some small countries out to keep the table sized reasonably). On the flip side all moderate/large (>50MM people) countries with over 4000 cases per 1MM have over 250 deaths/1MM (except Russia and nobody trusts Russia's numbers); there are some outliers with <50MM people and >4000 cases/1MM that don't have over 250 deaths.

Again, this doesn't mean your other points are invalid - this is about relative importance and it's far, far, far more important to not catch the virus if one wants to survive (or not become quite ill) than it is to be fit, especially if one is over 50 or so. Yes, we should do better publicizing comorbidities and educate people about them, but it seems like we've been doing that forever with minor impact. And I agree with all your other points, except you forgot masking, when one can't guarantee distancing.

As an aside, the case fatality rate (deaths/cases) doesn't reflect the impact on underlying conditions in the US at all, as we're kind of on the low end, although, I think some of that is because case numbers can be skewed a bit. plus demographics are also tied up in those numbers (a big part of why Italy's CFR is so high). My point is comborbidities might double death rates in one country vs. another with other variables held fairly constant (like age), but these differences pale vs. the 10-20-50X or more differences in deaths per capita for the very low cases per capita countries vs. the US and other high death rate countries.

MxzvHTB.png

Yeah, I lost 180 pounds last September. I got divorced. :)

What other factors were happening during your life in which this weight loss occurred? Were there Randomized Controlled Trials conducted to assess your typical caloric intake/ energy expenditures to determine if the divorce was the actual cause? Was there a peer reviewed article published to document the results? I cant accept the anecdotal evidence that has been presented.... but I do appreciate the comedic content of the statement

Reactions: biker7766 and LC-88

You're definitely wrong.

"Avoiding" is one thing but it's not like most suddenly got them in the past six months. You're not just dropping loads of excess weight, curing yourself of diabetes, etc in a few months. much more fruitful to focus on not getting Covid at this point, while doing other things secondary. That's not even a discussion.

Reactions: Greg2020
You're definitely wrong.

"Avoiding" is one thing but it's not like most suddenly got them in the past six months. You're not just dropping loads of excess weight, curing yourself of diabetes, etc in a few months. much more fruitful to focus on not getting Covid at this point, while doing other things secondary. That's not even a discussion.
6 months is plenty of time to make a meaningful difference in your health, especially with obesity and T2D.
#personalresponsibility

6 months is plenty of time to make a meaningful difference in your health, especially with obesity and T2D.
#personalresponsibility

Depends.

How long did it take you to drop those moobs and generally awkwardly proportioned physique? .

And yeah ...personal responsibility, in not getting Covid. Finally you're saying something logical.

What other factors were happening during your life in which this weight loss occurred? Were there Randomized Controlled Trials conducted to assess your typical caloric intake/ energy expenditures to determine if the divorce was the actual cause? Was there a peer reviewed article published to document the results? I cant accept the anecdotal evidence that has been presented.... but I do appreciate the comedic content of the statement
My X said she weighed 180. That was about five years ago. I have no proof, so it's fuzzy at best. I'm thinking north of two bills, but without proper analysis i went with the lower number. Small sample size.

You're definitely wrong.

Do you think this the last pandemic? As I said in my original post, this should be a wake-up call if you have comorbitities. The medical community and MSM should be highlighting.

Do you think this the last pandemic? As I said in my original post, this should be a wake-up call if you have comorbitities. The medical community and MSM should be highlighting.

Moving forward, ok. But we're talking about Covid. Which is here. So at this point, avoiding Covid is more important than trying to shed dozens or hundreds of pounds down to some unknown number to eliminate obesity. I mean are you any less susceptible the minute you reach some magic number or do you actually need to live healthily as a lifestyle for a duration? Because you're definitely less susceptible when you don't get Covid.

I'm not disagreeing on the idea that it should be a wake-up call moving forward. I've said many times our health and diet culture in this country is grotesque. I mean, the idea that more than half the population likely has a comorbidity should be enough to inspire change. It won't be, but it should.

Keep it up, you will get where you need to be. We believe in you! This is a supportive community.

thumbsup.gif

Where I need to be is in good enough shape for full- to multi-day winter ski mountaineering and summer bikepack expeditions. Thanks for the support; I'll see you when I get back down to sea level!

+1
This is a message we should be hearing everyday. Solve the problem of obesity and it will also solve our health care cost crisis.

Of course not, but it's a much bigger wake up call for following the damn pandemic playbook with regard to distancing (and masking, now that we know a lot more about it) and aggressive testing/tracing/isolating, because the next pandemic we may not be impacting mostly the elderly. The next one might be more like the 1918 Flu Pandemic, which killed ~3% of the world's population (COVID has killed 0.01% worldwide, but about 0.05% in the US and will likely reach 0.1% in the US by the end of this year).

The vast majority of those killed were children and young adults with half of those killed in the US being between 20 and 40 and with 99% of all deaths in people under 65. Many people over about 35 were theorized to have had at least some immunity from a previous H1N1 flu infection 30 years before. When the next one comes, let's hope we've learned the lessons of reduced transmission and containment of flare-ups that the successful countries have implemented for this pandemic.

Great post. If the eye route was more than minor and the aerosol transmission were as bad as some have said (I don't believe either is major), every front line worker wearing a mask, but not goggles, would be infected, as would all those subway riders in Seoul and Tokyo, who all wear masks, but not goggles. Goggles seem important where exposures are very high, like in ERs/COVID wards, which is why those folks usually wear goggles or facemasks.

Someday I'm going to build and patent my COVID "helmet" which seals at the neck and has a battery powered, HEPA filtered air supply (which will also keep it from fogging), and a headset with external speakers and receivers so people can talk to each other (at least if not in a crowd). This would allow all public events to resume. Only half kidding.

Looks like some companies beat me to the punch with the helmet idea...

Toronto-based company VYZR Technologies launched its $250 BioVYZR last April after raising nearly $800,000 on Indiegogo. The head-turning hazmat helmet features anti-fog windows, a low-volume, battery-powered cooling fan and hospital grade air-purifiers. The germ-fighting shield fits over a fitted neoprene vest with adjustable straps. The unit comes with reversible gloves that allow you to touch your face. And oh, the looks you’ll get from small children and those who believe the virus is a hoax!

960x0.jpg

Moving forward, ok. But we're talking about Covid. Which is here. So at this point, avoiding Covid is more important than trying to shed dozens or hundreds of pounds down to some unknown number to eliminate obesity. I mean are you any less susceptible the minute you reach some magic number or do you actually need to live healthily as a lifestyle for a duration? Because you're definitely less susceptible when you don't get Covid.

I'm not disagreeing on the idea that it should be a wake-up call moving forward. I've said many times our health and diet culture in this country is grotesque. I mean, the idea that more than half the population likely has a comorbidity should be enough to inspire change. It won't be, but it should.
Thabk you. That was the entire point of my original post. It should be a wake-up call going forward and we should be hearing more about that in addition to taking the necessary precautions now.

Reactions: fsg2 and T2Kplus10

I posted this on CE board back in March. I added emphasis using large font on one phrase near the end as it makes your point I believe...

Germ theory vs terrain theory
The 'germ theory' vs 'terrain theory' is basically the argument that germs are what we need to worry about and we need to keep finding ways to kill them off. Terrain theory argues that if the body is well and balanced then germs that are a natural part of life and the environment will be dealt with by the body without causing sickness.

“Germs seek their natural habitat – diseased tissue – rather than being the cause of diseased tissue.” - Antoine Béchamp

Both theories are, in fact, important. Because of poor soils and the prevalence of toxic chemicals and metals in our foods, air and water, today's bodies are generally weaker. Add to that the stress, insufficient diets and fast food, radiation and electromagnetic fields (EMFs), it is important that we have medicines to help us combat invading microbes if our bodies do not have a strong enough immune system to deal with them naturally. Taking precautions to protect yourself from catching the latest sickness like the Coronavirus is important such as frequent hand washing and avoiding large crowds.

“It is more important to know what sort of person has a disease than to know what sort of disease a person has.” - Hippocrates

But what is more important, is working on the 'terrain', the body's inner environment making it inhospitable to viruses and parasites etc. This is a life long endeavour but the fruits of your labour will be realised within a much shorter time. Noticing you become resistant to the lastest flu going round will prove to you that balancing your body chemistry to strengthen your immune was worth making the effort. How do you remineralise the body so that it is replenished with the correct minerals and vitamins to create a good immune, strong stomach acid, good working organs etc.?

Thabk you. That was the entire point of my original post. It should be a wake-up call going forward and we should be hearing more about that in addition to taking the necessary precautions now.
While your post has merit it is that being healthy could help it is nowhere near a safe guard. My best friend is 43 with no underlying issues and is in fantastic shape. Goes to the gym every day. He ended up on a ventilator for three weeks. He is now about 4 months removed from the hospital and is still recovering. Have had two other people I know get it, same scenario as above, and they didn’t end up in the hospital but they still don’t feel right today. Now I also know a couple other people who got it and were in great shape and felt little to no symptoms. So out of the 7 or so people that I know who got it and are in great shape one literally almost died and one other is still feeling sick. I will take the odds of not getting the disease if I can avoid it.

While your post has merit it is that being healthy could help it is nowhere near a safe guard. My best friend is 43 with no underlying issues and is in fantastic shape. Goes to the gym every day. He ended up on a ventilator for three weeks. He is now about 4 months removed from the hospital and is still recovering. Have had two other people I know get it, same scenario as above, and they didn’t end up in the hospital but they still don’t feel right today. Now I also know a couple other people who got it and were in great shape and felt little to no symptoms. So out of the 7 or so people that I know who got it and are in great shape one literally almost died and one other is still feeling sick. I will take the odds of not getting the disease if I can avoid it.
Yes it is a safe guard. It is a massive safe guard. If you are not obese or severely obese, you are 4-6 times less likely to have serious complications. That is a huge reduction of risk. The aggregate data trumps your very few specific examples.

Wearing a mask isn't meant to protect YOU from the virus. You're afraid of the big, bad government telling you what to do so you put everyone around you at risk.

Coward.

It's socially irresponsible and his indifferent responses most likely are indicative of his overall character.

While it doesn't change the inherent risk of transmissibility, it changes the perceived risk. The perceived risk is what politicians are using to justify their continuation of unreasonable policies.

Why do politics need to be injected into just about every conversation? Why cant it be about what is the correct and safest thing to do?

Such a fear monger. How many of those 531 Alabama kids have died? And don't come back with killing Grandma. She may get the regular flu in December and die anyways.

Why cant grandma be brought into the conversation? She will most likely be collateral damage, along with mommy, daddy, campus employees, etc. It's fair game to discuss all who will be involved.

And yet 4 billion people are looking to immigrate to the USA to partake in our horrific lives and lifestyles...Yeah we’re the most evil , corrupt and brutal nation on the face of the earth...we enjoy our lives and yet pre pandemic the majority for the most part never gave this “ health” issue a second thought... I would bet upon that fact... all of a sudden we are out of control and this is the reason for the deaths... no it is based upon nature if we are to believe what the so called experts claim...let’s be honest your not concerned about how others take care of their health ...your more concerned with having a personal platform...I’m 70 ...6’1” 198 and though my BMI is excellent by insurance standards I would be moderately obese... it’s what people wish it to be or appear to be.

Overall, we are not a healthy society. We are a free and fun society compared to many other countries. And the land of opportunity and freebies when you cant capitalize on those opportunities. That is why 4 billion people want to come here.

My mother went to the hospital the end of April with a urinary infection. She was fine until she became parinoid being there for 3 days and developed deliria. She could not talk to us on the phone. We were not allowed to visit to see how we could help. She was trapped like a prisoner in there. Second rate patient before covid ones. Hard for doctors to contact us. It was a mess, She came home after 2 weeks trapped like a prisoner. Unfortunately she passed 2 days later. Could we have helped her more if we were allowed in to access the situation? Its ridiculous how hospitals still have banned visitors.

My condolences on your mother's passing. That is a very difficult situation to go through, for her and the family.

And this is only deaths. We have no idea really how many people will suffer long term consequences. Lots of "long haulers" out there who have been experiencing symptoms for months. Will they ever fully recover?

Other collateral damage to the health care system - healthcare workers overwhelmed, not only getting sick themselves but there is a significant mental illness aspect.

And regarding the issue of comorbidities, people should remember that even if they appear to be healthy, they could have some underlying condition they may not be aware of that could make them more vulnerable. Heart disease is a biggie, how many times do we hear of someone who seemed healthy yet suffered a massive heart attack? It's not unusual for someone to have early stage leukemia and not know it, only to have it discovered by chance during a routine blood test. Many conditions can fester at low levels

It's a really tough problem, balancing the risks to individuals versus the overall cost to society.

This is a great point as many medical workers have seen things most couldnt even think about. There was plenty of mental anguish in our hospitals.

then why are excess deaths so high this year??? If these people were gonna die anyway who are all the extra people dying?

It is no coincidence, they know the answer.

Sorry, but that makes no sense. Covid is a very serious virus that statistically kills people that are most compromised. Pandemics will happen again. The best thing you can do to stay healthy and survive any of these viruses is to take care of your body and not depend on medications or the government. Type two diabetes is treatable if you take personal responsibility. So are many forms of heart disease.If you do those things you will survive serious threats like this virus. That’s just a fact.

Yeah we see very little on the news recommending that people do this.
Please link me an article that advises people to change their lifestyle as the most effective preventative measure you can take to avoid dying from this virus.
Nobody is saying “Who cares?”. The point is that you the most important thing you can do to improve your resistance and survival from COVID, is to live a healthy lifestyle.

I think I know your position, but the middle quite seems a little contradictory. And you and #s are having a chicken or the egg debate. Both your points are valid. He says, "don't get CV-19 " and that is your best odds for survival. Your stance is be healthy and IF you get it, that's your best chance. Overall, a healthy lifestyle will reduce everyone's chances for a whole host of diseases and illnesses. People need to get on program.

And don't get old, because old age and Covid is no good. Too many people get old without thinking about the consequences.

Good one. If you weren't being sarcastic, one is not avoidable, the other requires hard work and dedication.

Sorry to hear about your best friend. Being such a health nut and presumably in great shape probably saved his life.

Of course not, but it's a much bigger wake up call for following the damn pandemic playbook with regard to distancing (and masking, now that we know a lot more about it) and aggressive testing/tracing/isolating, because the next pandemic we may not be impacting mostly the elderly. The next one might be more like the 1918 Flu Pandemic, which killed ~3% of the world's population (COVID has killed 0.01% worldwide, but about 0.05% in the US and will likely reach 0.1% in the US by the end of this year).

The vast majority of those killed were children and young adults with half of those killed in the US being between 20 and 40 and with 99% of all deaths in people under 65. Many people over about 35 were theorized to have had at least some immunity from a previous H1N1 flu infection 30 years before. When the next one comes, let's hope we've learned the lessons of reduced transmission and containment of flare-ups that the successful countries have implemented for this pandemic.
That "damn pandemic playbook."..riiiight...like the one from O'Biden-Bama in handling the swine flu pandemic?

60 Million Americans Got Swine Flu, Obama and Biden Stopped Testing
A report by CBS in 2009 said the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) told states to stop testing. Levin quoted the CBS reporter Sharyl Attkinson, “In late July, the CDC abruptly advised states to stop testing for the H1N1 flu and stop counting individual cases.”

“The rationale given for the CDC guidance to forego testing and tracking individual cases was 'why waste resources testing for the swine flu when the government has already confirmed that there is an epidemic?'”

“But Obama, Biden said no more testing, therefore no more reporting on the consequences. This is so damning. This is so damning.”

Top Biden Advisor: Yeah, We Really Screwed Up Swine Flu and are Lucky More Americans Didn't Die
"I wasn't involved directly in the H1N1 response but I lived through it as a White House staffer and what I would say about it is a bunch of really talented, really great people were working on it and we did every possible thing wrong. Sixty million Americans got H1N1 during that period of time. It is purely a fortuity that this isn’t one of the great mass casualty events in American history. It had nothing to do with us doing anything right. It was just luck. "

Note most of the "luck" was there were antivirals for treating swine flu on the market for a decade.

How hard is it for some to understand that obesity is a very complex issue. Personal responsibility is just one of a number of factors.

Any person over the age of 45 who struggles with their weight will tell you that personal responsibility will only take you so far. Genetics, metabolism, food ingredients and underlying health conditions are just as important, if not more important.

Many studies show that obese people are some of the most disciplined and motivated people in many aspects of their lives.

Yes, personal responsibility plays a role but the issue is far far more complicated than that which is why obesity levels have skyrocketed over the past 30 years.

So why do we have about 5,000 post about this in a thread about COVID?

How hard is it for some to understand that obesity is a very complex issue. Personal responsibility is just one of a number of factors.

Any person over the age of 45 who struggles with their weight will tell you that personal responsibility will only take you so far. Genetics, metabolism, food ingredients and underlying health conditions are just as important, if not more important.

Many studies show that obese people are some of the most disciplined and motivated people in many aspects of their lives.

Yes, personal responsibility plays a role but the issue is far far more complicated than that which is why obesity levels have skyrocketed over the past 30 years.

If you want to lose weight, eat less. It's that simple.
#personalresponsibility

Reactions: slyker

Sadly it is done by some in order to shame those who struggle with a weight issue... it somehow frees them of guilt and is exactly what is disturbing in our society about their so called good intentions... the shame generation has been indoctrinated over the years and manyof them will suffer other medical issues even though their eating habits fall under the category of being correct...some of these intended good doers were “ overweight “ at one time but won’t tell you thatsome are closet bullies... Not too long ago the word was “ let people live their lives as they wish , it’s their choice”... my how that has changed over a few years... remember if you have an obese weight problem you are impacting them and they’re not going to tolerate it... now on the other hand since it has been designated as a covid19 problem it needs to be addressed so their health isn’t affected... think about how many of these weight worriers have family members in the fatty category...They are telling you for your own good.

If you want to lose weight, eat less. It's that simple.
#personalresponsibility

Diet and exercise..its the way to go.

Its here because obesity is a major risk factor leading to a higher incidence in severe and critical illness in CV-19. Obesity is complex but there are simple and effective ways to help reduce weight. Diet and exercise go a long way but many people choose to refrain from practicing either of them, or if they do, it is only for a short amount of time and they return to their old habits. Healthy attitudes need to be ingrained at an early age and continued throughout life. That doesnt happen often enough.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
It's not that simple. But having said that. Keto and intermittent fasting have worked for me so far.

No.. it really IS that simple.

The real problem is people have a big problem knowing and admitting how much food energy they put into their body.

There is no one on earth that will not lose weight if that person ate nothing at all. If that person consumes just a little more than nothing, that person will still lose weight, but not as much. As consumption gradually increases, there will be a point where the intake of food energy will match the energy burned ....an energy balance. Go above that balance, your body stores fat. Go below that point and fat will be burned for energy. As we all know, energy is burned by basic body metabolism and movement (aka exercise). Metabolic rate for people will differ to some small degree, so this point of energy balance will vary .. but it is not zero for anyone. NOBODY. Add in any form of movement and there is additional energy burned. So by basic laws of Physics and thermodynamics anyone in the world will lose weight by consuming a lower amount of caloric energy than their body expends. It really is that simple. There are many online basic metabolic rate (BMR) calculators to give people estimates for what their BMR might be for certain body weights and activity levels, and it is a simple exercise to determine the caloric content of most foods. Like stated earlier the real problem is people have a big problem knowing and admitting how much food energy they put into their body.

Last edited:
Reactions: T2Kplus10
Diet and exercise..its the way to go.

Its here because obesity is a major risk factor leading to a higher incidence in severe and critical illness in CV-19. Obesity is complex but there are simple and effective ways to help reduce weight. Diet and exercise go a long way but many people choose to refrain from practicing either of them, or if they do, it is only for a short amount of time and they return to their old habits. Healthy attitudes need to be ingrained at an early age and continued throughout life. That doesnt happen often enough.
Over the past 50 plus years we have seen more than our share of both young and old who are overweight... when you are younger you can carry more and still be considered relatively healthy...most people unless it’s your personal physician are only trying to help... they can’t solve your issues but they feel entitled to direct your life... Remember it’s for your own good ... that’s over reach... remember it impacts them ... it impacts their lives... I never debate the right and wrongs on one’s choice especially weight but this being covid19 times lends to the nonsense about obesity in individuals... take a walk around the Rutgers campus in normal times...there are enough fatty guys and gals under age 25 but guaranteed these same advisors never mention a word to any of them at least to their faces.

Last edited:
No.. it really IS that simple.

The real problem is people have a big problem knowing and admitting how much food energy they put into their body.

There is no one on earth that will not lose weight if that person ate nothing at all. If that person consumes just a little more than nothing, that person will still lose weight, but not as much. As consumption gradually increases, there will be a point where the intake of food energy will match the energy consumed....an energy balance. Go above that balance, your body stores fat. Go below that point and fat will be burned for energy. As we all know, energy is burned by basic metabolism and movement (aka exercise). Metabolic rate for people will differ to some small degree, so this point of energy balance will vary .. but it is not zero for anyone. NOBODY. Add in any form of movement and there is additional energy consumption. So by basic laws of Physics and thermodynamics anyone in the world will lose weight by consuming a lower amount of caloric energy than their body expends. It really is that simple. There are many online basic metabolic rate (BMR) calculators to give people estimates for what their BMR might be for certain body weights and activity levels, and it is a simple exercise to determine the caloric content of most foods. Like stated earlier the real problem is people have a big problem knowing and admitting how much food energy they put into their body.
+1
Excellent post.

Reactions: RUBOB72
Over the past 50 plus years we have seen more than our share of both young and old who are overweight... when you are younger you can carry more and still be considered relatively healthy...most people unless it’s your personal physician are only trying to help... they can’t solve your issues but they feel entitled to direct your life... Remember it’s for your own good ... that’s over reach... remember it impacts them ... it impacts their lives... I never debate the right and wrongs on one’s choice especially weight but this being covid19 times lends to the nonsense about obesity in individuals... take a walk around the Rutgers campus in normal times...there are enough fatty guys and gals under age 25 but guaranteed these same advisors never mention a word to any of them at least to their faces.
+1
As I posted before, obesity is a big driver of complications, especially for younger people:

Reactions: RUBOB72
Saw someone posted this earlier. What's up with this new CDC info that 94% of deaths had contributing conditions. “For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVOD-19, on average, there were 2.6 additional conditions or causes per death.” Yikes

Saw someone posted this earlier. What's up with this new CDC info that 94% of deaths had contributing conditions. “For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVOD-19, on average, there were 2.6 additional conditions or causes per death.” Yikes

If we had an obesity rate like Japan and SK, we would be in much better shape now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT