ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread: #1 Ohio St vs # 18 Rutgers (Intermat rankings), BTN TV, 12pm

My mistake, I watched our RU match on BTN TV while watching another match (w no sound) on Flo.
Ah dang, don't have btn :/.. surprised this match isn't covered on flo since they got that deal with btn... or maybe it is and I just can't find it @_@

Hard to be mad at Kyle Snyder for not wrestling at Maryland.
Not like he has ever docked anyone.
Wonder how long he has been away from the OSU room?
Does he even go to college?

At the press conference, Goodale gave a couple of jabs/prods to DeLuca. Clear that he expects a lot out of him and wants him to take that next step.

Reactions: grapknight1
This was the first time I’ve really watched wrestling. I didn’t find it terribly exciting but I see the athleticism and commitment needed to succeed.

Did we do better or worse than expected?

Hermida had no chance of beating Snyder -Maryland had an empty house.
Kudos to Snyder in gracing us with his presence with a packed house.
I wasn’t referencing Snyder. The guy is completely different animal. However Ohio State has been known to hold out guys to protect a seed.

Know very little about wrestling but it was clear that the OSU guys were significantly bigger in the lower body. Are they doing a better job in their strength program or is it just a different philosophy in what makes a better wrestler?

Reactions: Leonard23
This was the first time I’ve really watched wrestling. I didn’t find it terribly exciting but I see the athleticism and commitment needed to succeed.

Better mainly because of DeLuca.

Expected 125 results. Thought we win 165. 149 a complete surprise. 133 little more sense of urgency though good match. Other then that everything was expected. We went against a great team today. No downside. Now gotta go back knowing what the top wrestlers look like.

Know very little about wrestling but it was clear that the OSU guys were significantly bigger in the lower body. Are they doing a better job in their strength program or is it just a different philosophy in what makes a better wrestler?
Some guys have length and give wrestlers trouble (like Jack gives Ashnault trouble). Some guys are built stockier. Lewis looks undersized at 165, but I thought he looked fine at 157. Last year, Theobold was thick at 149. SUriano is the probably the strongest 125 in the country. PSU guys often look thicker to me, but that may be because they are all such elite wrestlers. Seth Gross at 133 for SDSU is a long wrestler and just dominant. There is really no magic formula.

Look who is celebrating DeLuca's win:

26230058_10156172411993958_2458515934067907671_n.jpg

Coaches are using discipline. Got DeLuca to cut his hair, sat Mulligan, and seems that they are even changing Richie's attitude. A big shift in approach from 5 years ago. A good omen for the future. Kids got to be 100% committed or don't come to Rutgers.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Coaches are using discipline. Got DeLuca to cut his hair, sat Mulligan, and seems that they are even changing Richie's attitude. A big shift in approach from 5 years ago. A good omen for the future. Kids got to be 100% committed or don't come to Rutgers.
Y was Mulligan sitting?

Reactions: Leonard23
Some guys have length and give wrestlers trouble (like Jack gives Ashnault trouble). Some guys are built stockier. Lewis looks undersized at 165, but I thought he looked fine at 157. Last year, Theobold was thick at 149. SUriano is the probably the strongest 125 in the country. PSU guys often look thicker to me, but that may be because they are all such elite wrestlers. Seth Gross at 133 for SDSU is a long wrestler and just dominant. There is really no magic formula.
The magic formula is having the it factor.. the mentality... Zain is a stockier and thick same as Frank Molinaro.. Nickal and Nolf are lankier wrestlers that don't look strong but surprises u with their strength.. Lewis looks bout the same size as PSU's Joseph to me..

Like most sports, except basketball given the height of the goal, this is always true. Personally, I like long athletes. At least on the lacrosse field.

I'd say he's the second strongest.......Tomasello is a mini-Molinaro in the weight room.

anything on BTN the cable channel is not going to be streamed or archived on Flo. Only the BTN Plus events. so this match is on BTN2Go but not Flo. It's definitely more than a little confusing. below is a link to the FoWrestling events page, where previous matches can be found.
https://www.flowrestling.org/events

Reactions: KidDagger

Yes, it is a rather boring spectator sport. That is one of the reasons it is a dying sport at the collegiate and Olympic levels. They even dropped it from the Olympics until former greats like Dan Gable rallied to save it. It figures that one of the sports that we actually have a decent team has limited fan appeal. As for today's match, I would say we did a little better than expected, but not nearly enough to make it a competitive meet. If if weren't for a ped state transfer one could argue that the overall quality of the squad is stagnant or even regressing under this head coach, but of course, he does have his supporters and defenders who would disagree.

Yes, it is a rather boring spectator sport. That is one of the reasons it is a dying sport at the collegiate and Olympic levels. They even dropped it from the Olympics until former greats like Dan Gable rallied to save it. It figures that one of the sports that we actually have a decent team has limited fan appeal. As for today's match, I would say we did a little better than expected, but not nearly enough to make it a competitive meet. If if weren't for a ped state transfer one could argue that the overall quality of the squad is stagnant or even regressing under this head coach, but of course, he does have his supporters and defenders who would disagree.
Sorry but would have to disagree with your assessment. Was today a little boring during certain matches, absolutely. When the other team has one of the best teams ever put together that will happen. But did you hear the gym explode with Deluca's throws?
When the fans realize, and wrestling fans are the most knowledgeable about their sport then any other fans, that the match will be close , they cheer every point. They get excited even when one of their own wrestlers lose but save a team point by not getting majored or pinned. Watch a true wrestling fan during a match, they are moving in their seats like they are actually wrestling, pretty funny actually.

Limited fan appeal? The last two matches at home had more fans attending the match then any basketball game this year other then SH. And the Penn St match will have more fans then SH.

Sounds like you have some issues with Coach. Too bad.

Post match presser w Coach G, Suriano and DeLuca

If you watched Suriano and DeLuca when Goodale was talking... Talk about 2 totally different personalities... Suriano couldn't sit still and looked like he wanted to wrestle another match right there... DeLuca didn't seem to even move a muscle... Lol...

The DeLuca match had some excitement, but the rest didn’t really seem exciting to me. They have Rutgers in their uniforms so I’ll cheer anyone on who has that. They said there were 5k there. That seems incredible that that many people would go. That’s more than some of our hoops games I bet, for a sport infinitely less popular. I never realized it was that popular in NJ.

The B1G must easily be the best conference is we are 17 and number 1 did that to us.

Even though DeLuca provided the 2 dramatic throws and near pins, Let's not overlook Richie Lewis's terrific win over a top 10 opponent. Should move him up in rankings again to top 10 or top 8.
That should have been a W and no upset. In my mind when Richie went up a wt and Iowa kid showing up. Both were thorwn 10 to 15 in rankings. I think in justice to both they are under ranked at 165. IMO!!!

Ruforlife
I guess you have not read Goodsle’s statistics lately and against the toughest conference in America.

No, you can thank title IX for the regression of the sport on the collegiate level. They thought schools would add women's sports when it was implemented. It had the complete opposite effect and wrestling was one of the men's Olympic programs to go at many college's and universities. Many of those who spearheaded getting this approved in retrospect have agreed, it was a huge miscalculation on their part. That their intended goal never materialized and had a tremendous adverse effect on men's Olympic sports.

As for the Olympic debacle. That was solely a political move to prevent the removal of the Modern Pentathlon. An antiquated event for rich Europeans. You know the sport that has horseback riding, sword fighting and shooting.(George Patton actually won a medal in it) In case you didn't know the IOC is quite corrupt and wrestling was used as a ploy to prevent it's dismissal. Your lack of research and knowledge on the subjects you pretend to be an expert on is quite astounding.

Last edited:
The DeLuca match had some excitement, but the rest didn’t really seem exciting to me. They have Rutgers in their uniforms so I’ll cheer anyone on who has that. They said there were 5k there. That seems incredible that that many people would go. That’s more than some of our hoops games I bet, for a sport infinitely less popular. I never realized it was that popular in NJ.

The B1G must easily be the best conference is we are 17 and number 1 did that to us.

Yes.. B1G wrestling is equal to B1G football and SEC football combined... Wrestling is huge in NJ... RU wrestling has over 2k season ticket holders!! And Growing!!

Ruforlife
I guess you have not read Goodsle’s statistics lately and against the toughest conference in America.

As much as I hate to defend the content of anyone who goes to the place where he did with some other comments, he has a point. This was Rutgers' best lineup in its history but it is a pretty "old:" lineup. If you take away the seniors and the unfortunate question marks due to injuries (Ashnault and Gravina), you are left with one wrestler who has a good shot at AA status, and he is a transfer from Penn State. The cupboard is fairly bare after this year in terms of strong placing potential at Nationals. Next year and the year after will be the real tests for Goodale. This year was a sort of high-water mark with a lot of very good 5th year seniors, but it was an unbalanced lineup. Without Suriano, the next two years would look pretty questionable.

As much as I hate to defend the content of anyone who goes to the place where he did with some other comments, he has a point. This was Rutgers' best lineup in its history but it is a pretty "old:" lineup. If you take away the seniors and the unfortunate question marks due to injuries (Ashnault and Gravina), you are left with one wrestler who has a good shot at AA status, and he is a transfer from Penn State. The cupboard is fairly bare after this year in terms of strong placing potential at Nationals. Next year and the year after will be the real tests for Goodale. This year was a sort of high-water mark with a lot of very good 5th year seniors, but it was an unbalanced lineup. Without Suriano, the next two years would look pretty questionable.
Hummm!!! Best lineup in history? I think some of Goody’s teams in the past were better IMO. Putting aside Suriano who is very special and really fell onto our team. In his earlier years with Langle, Dellefave, Melde, Winston, Mason, Russo etc may have been better. Back then I believe it had to do with growing pains and the results came close but no AAs. Then I would rank higher Macabe, Geraldo, Ash, Delvecchio, Dippery, Theobold, Lewis, Perotti, Bukacus, Gravina, Hymrack and Smith even better. For the first time in team history RU had 10 NCAA qualifiers and this is in the Big Ten. Second the AAs came. Where we had one then another then two years of multiple AAs. Now when I look at this team (with the exception of Suriano and Ash???). Until this team exceeds the team we sent to NYC for the NCAAs I am not sure I would put that label on this team just yet.

Regressing? We had two All Americans the last two years and had a few others get to the round of 12. Far better than in the past. We are also wrestling without our 3 time All American, who is hurt. All teams have transfers; Ohio State wrestled with at least two today. Boring spectator sport? I have been to a ton of RU events and the roar of the crowd during the 2 deluca throws almost blew the roof off. Lastly, if it was boring or had “little fan appeal” would we have 5,000 fans at a match? Would there be 42,000 fans at the NJ state HS championships duing the 3 day tournament?

Why are some officials so hesitant, scared almost, to call the pin? On Deluca's first throw, it seemed the OSU kid was flat for a good 5 seconds. Almost as bad as not making the stall call when it's obvious. These are 2 points that IMO would make college wrestling more exciting. Face slapping and head butting could be a few more ways.

Ironically he had no problem calling the Pagano pin.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
I hate to agree but it is so boring to watch much of the time. I wrestled through high school and when o stoped I never watched it again until Cael came to Penn State. He brought an exciting attacking style that made it fun to watch. There is far to much stalling. It seems like far too many matches are patty cake through the first period. Exchange escapes then if you are lucky some actual action the last 30 seconds. They need tweak the rules someway to improve the action.

Regressing? We had two All Americans the last two years and had a few others get to the round of 12. Far better than in the past. We are also wrestling without our 3 time All American, who is hurt. All teams have transfers; Ohio State wrestled with at least two today. Boring spectator sport? I have been to a ton of RU events and the roar of the crowd during the 2 deluca throws almost blew the roof off. Lastly, if it was boring or had “little fan appeal” would we have 5,000 fans at a match? Would there be 42,000 fans at the NJ state HS championships duing the 3 day tournament?
It is a niche sport. 5,000 fans is nice but let be honest if Rutgers basketball team was a consistent top 15 team every game would be sold out. Not just the ones against the #1 and #2 teams in the country. If you surveyed the crowd the majority are either currently involved with the sport or formerly were. It not like football, basketball or baseball where you have fans who never been involved with the sport. Big events will bring out big crowds of fans. However if you walk into most gyms for a normal match even at the D1 level often you will see a hand full of fans. In fact last year Wisconsin was 20th in the country in attendance and averaged 955 per match.

Look who's back. Still totally clueless, I see.

Would you rather watch a 0-0 soccer match or a 1-1 heavyweight wrestling match? lol
I'd take the heavyweights. Soccer is like cross country running with a ball. They should make prisoners of war watch my niece and nephew play everyday, It's pure torture.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT