ADVERTISEMENT

OT Brexit Vote

doubt it's as much a race thing as a terror thing. People can agree or disagree about the reality of those fears but you could see how people are concerned about what they are seeing around Europe.

i agree to an extent. that certainly plays a big part in it. there is, however, a fairly strong sentiment withing certain parts of the british population who feel like the brits are losing their "britishness" because of immigration. it's not that different than certain groups here in the US who fear the same thing.

25eec92f-07f0-4dbf-b4d6-0165042d8ed1_text.gif

Let's be honest. Your average Leave voter IS racist. Just like your average Trump voter. Everything is prettied up in a Nationalist and Isolationist code language, but you have to be a dolt not to realize it.

Twaddle. I don't deny that there are some racists casting "leave" votes. But you've hidden you head in the sand and refused to look at other large portions of the "leave" constituency. You've missed the interview with small business owners, and I don't mean the Russell 2000 I mean small business, who have been hamstrung and overregulated for decades by the gnomes of Brussels who were unaccountable and not subject to removal through the ballot box. This was, in reality, the only way small business could make the voices heard THROUGH the ballot box.

Reactions: vkj91
Well Morgan Stanley is the first out so far saying they've begun the process of moving 2000 jobs out of London to either Dublin or Frankfurt.

EDIT: Now they're denying the BBC report of them moving jobs. News just flying all over. It could be true still down the line but it does seem strange for any big structural moves like that to happen so soon after the vote. This stuff will happen over the months and years.

Long unknown road ahead. How much carrot and how much stick is going to guide some of this. Will it be an amicable divorce or a bitter one.

This is going to be really really messy. I think the banks would love to be able to negotiate a tax driven deal with Ireland to move operations over there once the dust settles a bit.

And it's OK for a non-white person to drive a deep wedge between races if they do it with a smiling happy face that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside? And if your are mocking or lampooning a white man and what you think they would say, it gives you license to use language that incites hate? Got it. Seems like a convenient way to drive that wedge deeper in an effort to support the narrative. Sad commentary on the state of media and the way some people think.
Words are definitely the problem. I see that now. We should ban the term "brown people" because it's wickedly offensive and any sort of hatred that we want to EXPOSE needs to be in terms that would not be offensive, until that changes.

Edit: Guessing you don't like Family Guy or South Park. To me they offer some of the best social commentary out there. They do it through mocking the hatred and idiotic things in our society. Often by portraying these ugly things through characters. What those characters say are offensive and that's the whole point. To demonstrate how ridiculous and bad they are.

Last edited:
Twaddle. I don't deny that there are some racists casting "leave" votes. But you've hidden you head in the sand and refused to look at other large portions of the "leave" constituency. You've missed the interview with small business owners, and I don't mean the Russell 2000 I mean small business, who have been hamstrung and overregulated for decades by the gnomes of Brussels who were unaccountable and not subject to removal through the ballot box. This was, in reality, the only way small business could make the voices heard THROUGH the ballot box.

How are the small businesses going to succeed when the cost of running their businesses skyrockets because of punitive trade tariffs on the goods they need for running their business? the EU is not going to play nice in negotiating a trade deal. they do realize that trade with the UK is necessary, but they will need to make it so painful that others (like France) don't get the same idea and hold their own referendum.

Reactions: RUChoppin
How are the small businesses going to succeed when the cost of running their businesses skyrockets because of punitive trade tariffs on the goods they need for running their business? the EU is not going to play nice in negotiating a trade deal. they do realize that trade with the UK is necessary, but they will need to make it so painful that others (like France) don't get the same idea and hold their own referendum.
It's hard to know how punitive the EU will be. I think they do have to make an example of them to discourage others and include some penalties but the UK (possibly without Scotland/Northern Ireland though) has been a key partner. So like I said how much carrot and how much stick will guide the amount of pain both sides feel.

It's ironic, this could possibly lead to some reforms within the EU but the UK might not get the benefits of them. I heard on CNBC that the Germans have discussed possible associate member status for them but what kind of penalties would they impose. Lots of negotiation in the coming years. I heard last night a guy in the Blair administration saying the average trade deal took like 6.2 years to complete.

Last edited:
I have yet to put my 5k in a Roth IRA this year - think I should go now before people realize this is an overreaction or wait it out a few days to see how low it goes?

If Leave wins, stock market could have big drop tomorrow. May be a good time to buy on a dip and make a couple of easy percentage points.
Was hoping for a possible dislocation in some of the yield plays like telcoms/utilities but at the open not much opportunity yet. Will see if anything changes later today or in the coming sessions. Everyone still flocking to safety/yield making these stocks still too expensive IMO. Of course the fed's not moving any time soon either so that won't help take them down either.

I have yet to put my 5k in a Roth IRA this year - think I should go now before people realize this is an overreaction or wait it out a few days to see how low it goes?

there's a lot of froth right now. could be beneficial to wait it out a little bit and see where things pan out. even if you buy on a slight upswing, it'll be close to the bottom for the year.

Was hoping for a possible dislocation in some of the yield plays like telcoms/utilities but at the open not much opportunity yet. Will see if anything changes later today or in the coming sessions. Everyone still flocking to safety/yield making these stocks still too expensive IMO. Of course the fed's not moving any time soon either so that won't help take them down either.

high grade treasuries and munis are up in price and down in yields...the futures indexes are currently a bloodbath.

Words are definitely the problem. I see that now. We should ban the term "brown people" because it's wickedly offensive and any sort of hatred that we want to EXPOSE needs to be in terms that would not be offensive, until that changes.

Edit: Guessing you don't like Family Guy or South Park. To me they offer some of the best social commentary out there. They do it through mocking the hatred and idiotic things in our society. Often by portraying these ugly things through characters. What those characters say are offensive and that's the whole point. To demonstrate how ridiculous and bad they are.

Actually, South Park walks a strange line where they put the words in the mouths of kids, and some of the parents, who are portrayed as neanderthals. They generally make the characters who display racism or other forms of hatred out to be idiots. Remembering the episode where Cartman was mocking little people, where he was exposed for being an idiot.

Someone referred to it above. Whenever anything involving a non-white (Brexit, Freddie Gray verdicts, Ferguson, Trayvon Martin, immigration, etc) goes badly, unfortunately, we see the race card being played over and over, where some, to fit their narrative, portray the incident as a grand white conspiracy. It's offensive and ridiculous. Some people genuinely relish safety, stopping mindless violence, stopping criminals and providing safety from terrorists. That's so racist!

Reactions: OSU2015
Let's be honest. Your average Leave voter IS racist. Just like your average Trump voter. Everything is prettied up in a Nationalist and Isolationist code language, but you have to be a dolt not to realize it.

This is rich. The racist calling other people racist. Why don't you give your thesaurus a rest and meditate on the fact that you're a race mongering fascist that belongs in Venezuela, not the US.

The US markets opened remarkably calm given the events. The big overall dip may not happen, but it seems you could take your shots with the big banks and commodities markets but those are always risky plays. Need more brains and balls than what I got.

It's hard to know how punitive the EU will be. I think they do have to make an example of them to discourage others and include some penalties but the UK (possibly without Scotland/Northern Ireland though) has been a key partner. So like I said how much carrot and how much stick will guide the amount of pain both sides feel.

It's ironic, this could possibly lead to some reforms within the EU but the UK might not get the benefits of them. I heard on CNBC that the Germans have discussed possible associate member status for them but what kind of penalties would they impose. Lots of negotiation in the coming years. I heard last night a guy in the Blair administration saying the average trade deal took like 6.2 years to complete.

Other countries like France, Italy, Netherlands also want referendums. EU bureaucrats might want to be harsh on UK but that would be pyrrhic response. UK is 5th largest economy and EU has been shrinking as a consumer of UK goods. Meanwhile India is 7th largest economy and EU has blocked UK from a trade deal with India - a country that UK has a lot on common with. As Daniel Hannan said "Why should a UK/India trade agreement be held up by tomato farmers in Italy?

UK was never full in with EU so I don't know that "associate member status" would mean much outside of helping EU cosmetically in short term. The EU needs to come back down to earth and stop talking about things like creating its own army.

UK vote to leave the EU could lead to lucrative free trade deal with India
http://www.thenational.ae/business/...-lead-to-lucrative-free-trade-deal-with-india

Actually, South Park walks a strange line where they put the words in the mouths of kids, and some of the parents, who are portrayed as neanderthals. They generally make the characters who display racism or other forms of hatred out to be idiots. Remembering the episode where Cartman was mocking little people, where he was exposed for being an idiot.
South Park is unadulterated pure genius. And what's wrong with making fun of haters?

Well Morgan Stanley is the first out so far saying they've begun the process of moving 2000 jobs out of London to either Dublin or Frankfurt.

think this is more of a media spin. i think MS is moving their PB operation to Dublin due to PRI's higher liquidity requirements and relative lower requirements in CBI considering that they are the only one that didn't do well on the stress testing reported yesterday. nothing to do with brexit. in fact, many major banks already moved their PB operations in the last few years for the same reason. they are just catching up. no new news.

Last edited:
The US markets opened remarkably calm given the events. The big overall dip may not happen, but it seems you could take your shots with the big banks and commodities markets but those are always risky plays. Need more brains and balls than what I got.
I agree on its face you might think wow it's gone down a lot but really it seems more complacent than anything at the open. The utilities are up, telcoms, safety plays many are green. Even some names like KR/HRL which I've been in an out of the last couples months are green.

Considering the market was up quite a bit yesterday this isn't much of a giveback at all at the open. No panic IMO. Frankly I thought they'd be a sell the news event even if they had stayed. We'll see how the rest of the day unfolds, specifically the close and then early next week. Right now eh.

I did buy a little before the market open, some DIS, FB,DIA,SPY but am cautious because the market can go lower. I had about 60-70% in cash before the market opened.

I did buy a little before the market open, some DIS, FB,DIA,SPY but am cautious because the market can go lower. I had about 60-70% in cash before the market opened.
I added some NKE, earnings out on Tuesday, think they have support in the 49-50 area if it's not good. There's some support in this 52 area as well. If the earnings are good well then great. I believe Finish Line had good earnings this morning. Could be a good harbinger. I didn't get back into KR or HRL. Their dividends aren't even that special but more domestic plays and I guess safety type names are the reason they're green this morning.

I added some NKE, earnings out on Tuesday, think they have support in the 49-50 area if it's not good. There's some support in this 52 area as well. If the earnings are good well then great. I believe Finish Line had good earnings this morning. Could be a good harbinger. I didn't get back into KR or HRL. Their dividends aren't even that special but more domestic plays and I guess safety type names are the reason they're green this morning.
I have some NKE, SBUX and UA at low prices and was thinking about adding. They're leaders that will go back to their high at some point. Just a moment ago, brought EMR and ETN , dividend close to 4 -% added to PRU 4%

The biggest problem with the EU is that it is undemocratic. The European parliament has little power, and bureaucrats in Brussels have a lot. Imagine having your country's economic health being determined by a body which you can't influence by voting. Still, I regret Brexit -- it will cause a lot of economic damage. I hope Brexit convinces the EU that it has to change how it operates.
BTW, I think Northern Ireland may secede. Otherwise there will have to be customs controls at the Northern Ireland/Ireland, and neither Northern Ireland nor Ireland want that. Could Ireland be re-united somehow? How strange that would be!

The biggest problem with the EU is that it is undemocratic. The European parliament has little power, and bureaucrats in Brussels have a lot. Imagine having your country's economic health being determined by a body which you can't influence by voting. Still, I regret Brexit -- it will cause a lot of economic damage. I hope Brexit convinces the EU that it has to change how it operates.
BTW, I think Northern Ireland may secede. Otherwise there will have to be customs controls at the Northern Ireland/Ireland, and neither Northern Ireland nor Ireland want that. Could Ireland be re-united somehow? How strange that would be!

Very well said. A good counter to the knee jerk reactions that it's nothing but racism.

Edited to add: I wonder what this does to corporate inversions.

Reactions: csphi
I think it was a combination of things but I think sovereignty was probably the largest contributor to the leave vote. And I do think the EU needs some reform and might very well get some after this but if you think you can just enjoy the benefits of the EU without abiding by their rules I don't know how that's going to happen.

I think this is a good article discussing Switzerland who isn't part of the EU and who Brits want to model after but it sounds like they follow many if not most of the EU rules to trade with them. So they may not be part of the EU but it sounds like they are essentially following EU terms and they get no say in those terms either not being a member. So like I said lot of negotiation in the years ahead and who knows how that'll turn out.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/worl...acle-look-like-a-fantasy-20160623-gpqqx9.html

Got me some TNA pre-market, my position is up 4.48% from pre market, TNA is 3x Russell Small-cap index...or nitroglycerin...as volatile as it comes :boxing:

One of my favorite tickers I must say [roll]

Nice to see racism injected into this by some of the usual suspects. Kudos! Great Job!

What is very ironic is that a couple of weeks ago a few EU leaders were talking about the upcoming vote and discussing the changes they had offered to Britain if they stayed. A couple of them mentioned other enticements they could have offered to Britain to make staying more palatable. And my first thought was: "Why the hell are you mentioning this now? And why didn't you offer them up back when negotiations with Britain were happening?" That's like working out a sales deal with someone, but before the deal goes through letting them know that you didn't give them the most advantageous terms.

Nothing. Haters and baiters need to be exposed and made fun of, especially the ones who do it with a smiling face and an agenda.
And especially those who are masters at it!

Got me some TNA pre-market, my position is up 4.48% from pre market, TNA is 3x Russell Small-cap index...or nitroglycerin...as volatile as it comes :boxing:

One of my favorite tickers I must say [roll]
Getting TNA and your position up 4.48% in the morning --does not get much better than that. Congratulations. Pictures or it did not happen.

Nice to see racism injected into this by some of the usual suspects. Kudos! Great Job!

What is very ironic is that a couple of weeks ago a few EU leaders were talking about the upcoming vote and discussing the changes they had offered to Britain if they stayed. A couple of them mentioned other enticements they could have offered to Britain to make staying more palatable. And my first thought was: "Why the hell are you mentioning this now? And why didn't you offer them up back when negotiations with Britain were happening?" That's like working out a sales deal with someone, but before the deal goes through letting them know that you didn't give them the most advantageous terms.

And especially those who are masters at it!
masterbaitandtackle.png

the more i research the more i agree with Brexit. How can you have non-elected officials controlling your economy?
Hundreds of wars have been fought, and millions have died, in the name of self-rule. Why a country would willingly give up its autonomy to an unelected body is beyond my level of comprehension.

I think the Brits have done alright for themselves over time and as long as the EU isn't punitive and petty, and respects the will of the British people, I think things will be fine. If the EU does decide to be petty and punitive, why would you want to be a part of it?

I do think there will be some near-term economic friction, but countries shouldn't be run with the overriding concern being the stock market over the next six months, but the long-term well being of the country and the economy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT