ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Coaching Carousel 2019

Should also add one of the interesting things this offseason on the carousel are the moves not made by Dantonio at MSU on offense. He tried reshuffling the deck chairs this season and it still didn't pan out but yet he's not done anything and I don't think has commented either.

Saw this on footballscoop. Navy DC Brian Newberry strong candidate to be DC for Leach at Miss. State. Not a big name but I think a solid hire and potential to be a good one.

Mississippi State: Source tells FootballScoop Navy defensive coordinator Brian Newberry is a strong candidate to join Mike Leach’s staff. We hear a deal could be finalized today. Newberry served as defensive coordinator at Kennesaw State (FCS – GA) four seasons before going to Navy for this past season.

Frost waiting a long while to dismiss his OC... and again caveat against only bringing your whole staff or only known contacts. Everyone mentions HC experience but I’ve mentioned before this is a possible downside of that in that the guy usually feels like he owes it to his staff to bring them along even if some may not up to the task.

Walters was dismissed quite a while ago. It just wasn’t made public giving him a chance to catch on somewhere else so it would look like he left on his own instead of fired.

In reply to another post, Mickey Joseph, who is an NU alum, did not get offered the NU gig. Didn’t even interview. He used NU hiring him knowing Walters was done as bate for a pay raise from LSU. Lubick has been hired for a while and just gave Walters time to get another job. We he wasn’t having any luck and recruiting picking back up NU had to make a public move.

Some USC news. Looks like Orlando is gonna land on his feet and that contracts aren’t worth much as usual. Orlando working on deal to be USC DC. Just signed in as position coach at TT after being fired at Texas but looks like he’s going to move on before unpacking to USC. Also Harrell is coming back after interviewing for Philly OC position.

Reactions: redking
Kerry Coombs from the Titans was a rumored possibility way back for the OSU DC spot when it opened up and looks like it's going to come to fruition.

As I mentioned he might Aranda hired Ron Roberts as DC....currently DC at ULL. I've mentioned him for us at DC when we hired Buh. He's got a little bit of mixed track record but done well at times and is mentor to guys like Aranda, Golding, Scott.

Last edited:
Awhile back heard a radio interview with Graham that his next job needed to be the right fit and that the south or the west would be best for him. I guess so much for that lol. Probably really wanting to get back in the game and this was the first half decent opportunity that popped up especially after Rolovich’s 10 win season. Do okay there and might get a ticket back to the mainland.

Awhile back heard a radio interview with Graham that his next job needed to be the right fit and that the south or the west would be best for him. I guess so much for that lol. Probably really wanting to get back in the game and this was the first half decent opportunity that popped up especially after Rolovich’s 10 win season. Do okay there and might get a ticket back to the mainland.

I don't know, man. If it were me and I had enough success there, I would stay for life. He just got a job in paradise.

I don't know, man. If it were me and I had enough success there, I would stay for life. He just got a job in paradise.
That kind of thought does cross my mind but I don't think the goal of most football coaches on this level is that...it's a side benefit but they more likely want a job that facilitates winning. I always say never know what's in a guy's head so who knows but I don't think they have as many resources and just the time difference and distance make things more difficult and a PIA so why deal with that if you don't have to and get a decent opportunity in the G5 or P5 if you happen to have success at Hawaii.

Would be a solid hire if he can bring Long as OC.

Also other news I saw on footballscoop. Bo Pelini a candidate for the LSU DC job along with Kris Richard from the Cowboys. Pelini would want his brother Carl to get the HC spot at YSU before he decides to leave. Newberry might not be a candidate anymore for Leach as DC too....thought he was a good candidate for that, did a nice job with the Navy defense in just one year.

LSU: Bo Pelini a strong candidate for LSU’s vacant defensive coordinator job, source tells FootballScoop.

Mississippi State: Source tells FootballScoop it now is unlikely that Navy defensive coordinator Brian Newberry becomes defensive coordinator at Mississippi State. Stay tuned….

Last edited:
Another example of contracts not being worth much. Leach has found his DC. Zach Arnett just left SDSU for Syracuse in the last couple weeks and now is heading off to Miss State to be Leach’s DC. Maybe Babers will have to circle back to Arnett’s boss Rocky Long who he also met but passed on. Maybe Newberry from Navy too. Seems like a good hire for Leach though.

EDIT: some reports Arnett never signed a contract even after be announced for 11 days already

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
Another example of contracts not being worth much. Leach has found his DC. Zach Arnett just left SDSU for Syracuse in the last couple weeks and now is heading off to Miss State to be Leach’s DC. Maybe Babers will have to circle back to Arnett’s boss Rocky Long who he also met but passed on. Maybe Newberry from Navy too. Seems like a good hire for Leach though.

EDIT: some reports Arnett never signed a contract even after be announced for 11 days already

As much as people were upset about not getting AC or how he dragged it out, this is so much worse. Sucks to be the fruit.

Yup mentioned above. Possibility Chip Long might join him as OC.
Seen that>

Bruce Feldman @BruceFeldmanCFB

One of the names that has been discussed with Todd Graham potentially trying to bring with him to Hawaii is his former assistant Chip Long who is still being paid by Notre Dame. https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/1219833252514426880 …

Former #Tulsa #Rice #Pitt and #ASU head coach Todd Graham is getting hired as the new head coach at Hawaii. https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/1219622731202756610 …<

and that's why I searched for more info.

Seen that>

One of the names that has been discussed with Todd Graham potentially trying to bring with him to Hawaii is his former assistant Chip Long who is still being paid by Notre Dame. https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/1219833252514426880 …

Former #Tulsa #Rice #Pitt and #ASU head coach Todd Graham is getting hired as the new head coach at Hawaii. https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/1219622731202756610 …<

and that's why I searched for more info.
Yea I'm never sure if the tweets show up correctly all the time. Sometimes I just see this: Tweet! instead of the tweet I copy pasted. Have to refresh once or twice and then it usually shows up.

Looks like Newberry turned down Miss State (before they moved onto Arnett) and not that he wasn't offered. WSU, Cuse, UCLA also showed interest but he signed a new contract to stay at Navy. Just had a newborn son, likes it there and his parents are in Philly. Not likely Navy offered more but obviously enough. They just moved permanently to Annapolis and that vs Starkville ....hmmmm.

Chris Vannini said:
Biggest question is how Graham will handle the unique culture of Hawaii coming from the outside. Staff makeup will be key.

This is the reason I think Graham is a mistake at Hawaii. I think they would be better off promoting Stutzmann or Smith, both of whom went with Rolovich to Wazzu.

This is the reason I think Graham is a mistake at Hawaii. I think they would be better off promoting Stutzmann or Smith, both of whom went with Rolovich to Wazzu.
Yea but he followed it up with this tweet too. I’ve said in the past Graham always seems to have a little bit of a prickly personality so have to always wonder how it will play but he has had solid results and usually does a nice job of identifying good OCs.

Mentioned Munoz might join Aranda if not promoted at LSU. Still wonder who he’ll get as OC. LSU being torn apart from players to coaches.

Yea but he followed it up with this tweet too. I’ve said in the past Graham always seems to have a little bit of a prickly personality so have to always wonder how it will play but he has had solid results and usually does a nice job of identifying good OCs.

Tomy was there for about 10 seasons with 0 bowl appearances. His successor (Bob Wagner) got Hawaii in his 3rd and 6th season there before being replaced by Fred von Appen. Tomy left Hawaii for Arizona and was far more successful there. His initial point regarding understanding the culture was spot on in my opinion. While a lot of RU fans demanded Jersey roots, the understanding the culture is far more important in Hawaii than Jersey.

Tomy was there for about 10 seasons with 0 bowl appearances. His successor (Bob Wagner) got Hawaii in his 3rd and 6th season there before being replaced by Fred von Appen. Tomy left Hawaii for Arizona and was far more successful there. His initial point regarding understanding the culture was spot on in my opinion. While a lot of RU fans demanded Jersey roots, the understanding the culture is far more important in Hawaii than Jersey.
Not gonna debate the point since I’m not familiar enough to know. But with regards to Tomey’s record just looking at it he had 8 seasons of .500 or better and 7-9 wins seasons for 3 years as well. That’s pretty good and bowls weren’t as ubiquitous in the 70-80s.

I don’t know if I’d have promoted from within but I liked Anae the UVA OC and Leach tree guy(you know me lol). You know Rolovich consulted with Leach when designing his run and shoot offense iirc.

Newest member of the 2M+ assistant club....Steele is taking Aranda's old spot at the top at 2.5M/yr. Long way from the 70pt drubbing by WVU in the Orange Bowl that got him fired at Clemson (not that it hurt Clemson, Venables has been awesome). As I say one day you're the bug another day you're the windshield.

Not gonna debate the point since I’m not familiar enough to know. But with regards to Tomey’s record just looking at it he had 8 seasons of .500 or better and 7-9 wins seasons for 3 years as well. That’s pretty good and bowls weren’t as ubiquitous in the 70-80s.

I don’t know if I’d have promoted from within but I liked Anae the UVA OC and Leach tree guy(you know me lol). You know Rolovich consulted with Leach when designing his run and shoot offense iirc.

I don't know if Rolovich consulted with Leach, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did. Rolovich, Stutzmann, and Smith all played at Hawaii under Run and Shoot guru June Jones. Smith, being a former OL, has implemented a very good running scheme in the offense while Stutzmann was Rolovich's passing game coordinator. Unless either of those guys aren't ready to be a head coach, I think either would have had a good chance to build on what Rolovich started there.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
I don't know if Rolovich consulted with Leach, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did. Rolovich, Stutzmann, and Smith all played at Hawaii under Run and Shoot guru June Jones. Smith, being a former OL, has implemented a very good running scheme in the offense while Stutzmann was Rolovich's passing game coordinator. Unless either of those guys aren't ready to be a head coach, I think either would have had a good chance to build on what Rolovich started there.
Yea I believe it was after just 3-9 season he knew he had to change things and met with Leach and Dan Hawkins that off-season not just about offense but also running a team and being yourself etc..

EDIT: Saw this at footballscoop on Graham's salary.

Hawaii: Todd Graham has signed a 5-year contract that will pay him $760,000 in 2020 and $800,000 a year thereafter. It’s the same terms UH was prepared to offer Nick Rolovich had he remained at the school.

Found the article..it's in the Athletic but here's a snippet.

The Rainbow Warriors had gone 3-9, closing the season with a five-game losing streak. The previous two years, Rolovich’s team had run a “balanced,” 50-50 offensive attack, but the results weren’t there.

“We just weren’t excited,” he said. “It wasn’t exciting to play in, it wasn’t exciting to watch.”

So, in early December last year he made the decision that Hawaii was going to return to its roots with the run-and-shoot offense, a system that had flourished within the program under former head coach June Jones.

To gain insight into the offensive mindset, Rolovich decided he would meet with Washington State coach Mike Leach, lover of the Air Raid and someone who easily dismisses any critics or noise around his play calling or offensive decisions. And for the culture shift — on the referral of his former QB coach, Dan Morrison — Rolovich decided he would sit down with UC Davis head coach Dan Hawkins, who was at Boise State in its early days as an FBS program, helping build the foundation for what the Broncos’ program has become.

Today, he credits the turnaround of this program — sitting on an 8-5 record, its best since 2010 — with the changes that came as a result of those two very different meetings.

Last edited:
Reactions: sherrane
Newest member of the 2M+ assistant club....Steele is taking Aranda's old spot at the top at 2.5M/yr. Long way from the 70pt drubbing by WVU in the Orange Bowl that got him fired at Clemson (not that it hurt Clemson, Venables has been awesome). As I say one day you're the bug another day you're the windshield.

I wonder how much Venables makes at Clemson? He really seems satisfied to stay as the DC there versus pursuing an HC position. And did we ever hear how much Texas is paying Chris Ash as DC?

I wonder how much Venables makes at Clemson? He really seems satisfied to stay as the DC there versus pursuing an HC position. And did we ever hear how much Texas is paying Chris Ash as DC?
Venables is over 2M+ as well just not the highest...it was Aranda, Venables, Elko in the 2M+ club and now with Aranda as HC at Baylor, Steele has taken his spot.

Well I didn't think and wasn't sure Aranda wanted to be HC for quite awhile dating back to when we hired Ash and Aranda was my pick. Only recently in the last year did I finally read an article with him mentioning it...and finally this offseason is the first where it seemed like he was aggressively pursuing opportunities with his name popping up a few times and he landed Baylor.

So I'm guessing Venables wants a spot too but has to be the right one and I've read many times he's gotten offers but probably lower down the totem pole. He's coaching his son too and Dabo has made a good environment beyond the money for his coaches so unless a nice opportunity pops up he's content to stay. IMO if you can hire Smart at UGA or Pruitt at Tenn, I don't see why Venables shouldn't get a shot at a job like that given his results. He's possibly known to have a temper but have you seen Pruitt's antics at Tenn...so you know it didn't stop him from getting an opportunity. Dabo has for the most part been impervious to what you see is happening to LSU this year and Alabama in the past...he’s largely kept his staff in tact for quite awhile.

As to Ash's salary at Texas...still haven't come across that anywhere but Yurcich their new OC they took from OSU is making 1.7M as a point of reference.

Last edited:
familiar name found in football scoop
Carolina Panthers: William & Mary (FCS – VA) running backs coach / recruiting coordinator EJ Barthel, who previously worked with Matt Rhule for a season at Temple, is joining the organization, likely in an off-field role, Joe Person tweets.

( Barthel held the director of recruiting position at Rutgers from March of 2015 to January of 2016. He was released by the Scarlet Knights as part of wholesale changes with Chris Ash’s arrival. EJ also is a former RU player)

From footballscoop:

Ole Miss: Source tells FootballScoop Bryant defensive line coach Marquise Watson is expected to join Lane Kiffin’s staff. Chris Partridge is a mentor to Watson we understand, having coached him at Paramus Catholic. Watson spent the 2018 season assisting with the defensive line at Rutgers.

Nice new contract for Orgeron. He’s going to show his worth after this off-season and all the losses. I’m interested to see if he’s up to the task and how next year goes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT