ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Coaching Carousel 2019

Somehow some of these tweets aren't pasting correctly. This was another big one...Fuente on top of list for Baylor. Would make P5 #11 open spot if he goes.

ESPN ticker saying LSU passing game coordinator Joe Brady off to Carolina Panthers as OC for Matt Rhule.

ESPN ticker saying LSU passing game coordinator Joe Brady off to Carolina Panthers as OC for Matt Rhule.
Yup I posted that above. Big loss for them. Jorge Munoz is a name thrown around to replace and he’s on their staff already. If Aranda ends up at Hawaii then we’ll really see how good Orgeron is if he has to replace both of them. Even Brady and Burrow replacements will be a demonstration of his sustainability.

Can Hawaii match what Aranda is making as DC at LSU?
Rolovich was reported to be making a base of $400K/year at Hawaii.
Not likely it would be a pay cut but I think a larger pay cut than he might want to absorb. Nice to place to live but hard place to win. So not sure if it’s a good situation for him that’s why I think he’d stay put even if under consideration.

Other mid major or lower status P5 jobs I think a decent chance he would leave despite a pay cut but this one is a tough one. Plus I told you I don’t see him as a great recruiter basically like a Chryst or Leach personality wise so that would make Hawaii even tougher.

He went for UNLV and they paid Arroyo 1.5M iirc and that was less than his current 2.5M so don’t think he’ll be as picky as Venables has been.

Should also mention a story I read a little while back where Sean Payton said he told Brady that he thought he was making a career mistake going to LSU and joking "shows you what I know" lol. Brady said he didn't remember the conversation but if he did say it "I'm glad I didn't listen" ....Orgeron is glad too haha. A bunch of guys on a new proving ground...can Orgeron replace Brady/Burrow....can Brady win without Burrow/cast and can Burrow win without Brady.

Somehow some of these tweets aren't pasting correctly. This was another big one...Fuente on top of list for Baylor. Would make P5 #11 open spot if he goes.

Didn't realize Tracy Claeys was added to VT's staff as linebacker coach and there were a couple other additions. Wonder how that would play out with the assistants if Fuente leaves to Baylor. Maybe they all go with him and Baylor forks over the buyouts. Also read that VT special assistant to the HC Jerry Kill was approached by Gary Patterson for the same position there. Kill was Patterson's best man at his wedding.

Aranda popped up also now for Baylor. First time in his career I’m seeing his name pop up a bit. He must feel he’s ready to step up and putting his foot forward more.

Saw this retweet of Fuente by a reporter. Guessing trying to bottle up the Baylor rumors.

I get the feeling Baylor will go with internal promotion.
Well so much for my feeling lol. Old roommates Herman and Aranda fighting it out in the B12 if this happens. Now we'll really see how good Orgeron is with how well he replaces both Brady and Aranda, not to mention players to the NFL, and if he can sustain like Saban does despite all the constant losses of players and coaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: redking
Came across this too if Aranda gets the job only 2 Wisconsin DC since 2004 haven't gotten a HC job. I think Leonhard is an on the rise name so probably soon for him too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
Well looks like Aranda will be official soon. Orgeron will have to prove if he’s the real deal or Gene Chizik.

Gonna be interesting to see where he goes for OC. Earlier in his career wasn't sure would he be more influenced by his early career with Leach/Briles/Hawaii/Utah State or a little later his career at Wisconsin...now after what Brady has done and his similar KISS/repetition philosophy to Leach I have to think that will influence him a lot. Jorge Munoz was a name bandied for Oregon OC and possible elevation to Brady's old spot at LSU...maybe Aranda takes him as OC to Baylor.

Kinda of opposite of Rhule. I see Rhule as more a motivator/culture CEO type...Aranda more cerebral, not too emotive and understated type. Like Chryst and Leach in that watching paint dry might be more interesting than any sort of rah rah behavior of theirs. He's got to hire some good recruiters cause I don't know that I see him as top recruiter type more x/o guy.

Should add Matt Rhule responsible for the dismantling of the LSU staff lol. Takes Brady and Baylor opens up for Aranda to leave.

Last edited:
Makes me think Brown and him had a discussion about Brown's plans for the future.
Don might be looking to end his career as a HC and at 64 the window of opportunity might be closing quickly.
It's possible but Brown was also interested in being a HC just last year so that doesn't sound like a guy ready to hang it up yet. Things change though. Shoop has been a coach in the B10 and was good at PSU...never hurts to add more coaching talent as long as the chemistry works.

I could see Roberts be his DC possibly. I’ve mentioned him for us at times when we were looking for the same reason that he was a mentor to Aranda, Golding and Karl Scott. He’s had a mixed track record.

And it looks like UGA has come into the modern era with the hire of Todd Monken as OC. Rumors he might have been returning to Ok State but I guess this must’ve been out there for him. Add Smart to the list of coaches going kicking and screaming lol. Getting drubbed by LSU probably factored into it.

Frost waiting a long while to dismiss his OC... and again caveat against only bringing your whole staff or only known contacts. Everyone mentions HC experience but I’ve mentioned before this is a possible downside of that in that the guy usually feels like he owes it to his staff to bring them along even if some may not up to the task.

Reactions: redking
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT