ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Coming to a beach near you in NJ and NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should be surprised (but I am not) that people do not realize the bulk of IRS agents being hired are to try to stop the business who withhold social security and federal income tax from their employees' paychecks and never send the money in.

Do people really think it's okay for the employer to just keep that money?

If the employer isn't Disney or Keurig or Yeti or Netflix or someone else who didn't hurt their feelings then probably, yes those people would probably be OK with it

Reactions: knightfan7
I think people who accuse others of being angry on the internet are mostly projecting their anger onto others. To me, you didn't sound remotely angry. Sounded like a pretty good-natured and humorous post about how you feel about assholes.

Maybe T's just frightened of "bad" words? Or offended by your intolerance of assholes?

He's angry at the fact that people who used to side with his "viewpoints" now call them out for the nonsense they are

Are you talking "off the books"? Then I do.

And a 30% federal sales tax is madness, and something that I have never mentioned or advocated for.
No, my former brother in law had to leave the country because he stopped remitting the payroll taxes deducted from his employees and social security taxes owed when he was trying to save his failing company. He left my sister and two young kids and finally came back 15-20 years later to the US. My sister did pay some of his debt to save the house but was able to raise the kids fine over 40 years ago.

No, my former brother in law had to leave the country because he stopped remitting the payroll taxes deducted from his employees and social security taxes owed when he was trying to save his failing company. He left my sister and two young kids and finally came back 15-20 years later to the US. My sister did pay some of his debt to save the house but was able to raise the kids fine over 40 years ago.

Agree that it happens. Disagree that the bulk of the agents hired will focus on this. I think your personal experience led you to overstate how common it is.

And honestly, I hope the bulk of the agents will be assigned to answer the phones and answer taxpayers' questions and issues. The press always cites the large number of EITC audits and actions because they affect non-wealthy taxpayers. However, calculating the EITC is also one of the most common return preparation errors. There's a lot of fraud but also a lot of simple, innocent errors. By providing piss poor access to taxpayer questions the IRS is actually creating business for enforcement against taxpayers who are trying to do things right.

Agree that it happens. Disagree that the bulk of the agents hired will focus on this. I think your personal experience led you to overstate how common it is.

And honestly, I hope the bulk of the agents will be assigned to answer the phones and answer taxpayers' questions and issues. The press always cites the large number of EITC audits and actions because they affect non-wealthy taxpayers. However, calculating the EITC is also one of the most common return preparation errors. There's a lot of fraud but also a lot of simple, innocent errors. By providing piss poor access to taxpayer questions the IRS is actually creating business for enforcement against taxpayers who are trying to do things right.
Taxpayer Service Reps answer the phones not Revenue Agents or Officers. They are included in the 87,000 number. That number is for all hiring over 10 years. Don’t listen to the people telling you it’s 87000 armed agents coming for you because you forgot about a $400 dividend

Thread has really jumped the Whale, hasn't it?

Back on track, a comprehensive discussion of the topic as to what may or may not be causing a rise in whale deaths.

a8523274-e293-4301-9756-3f3886d8124c-Noise_whales_2.jpg

69d0d8ac-a44e-430e-97b7-318622071874-slow_zones.jpg

• Love
Reactions: newell138
I don't know about the finances angle of this or what it will do to electric rates. I also get the argument that there will be disturbances and inconveniences as they tear up beaches to run cable, etc. But if the closest turbine is 10 miles off the coast, sure you can see it but barely. People complaining about their view being ruined, LOL.

Back on track, a comprehensive discussion of the topic as to what may or may not be causing a rise in whale deaths.

Sounds like a lot of whales will die due to these windmills. Very sad! However, just like most big NJ projects, it is unlikely to very happen.

Just focus on modernizing and expanding existing NJ nuke plants. Problem solved!

Taxpayer Service Reps answer the phones not Revenue Agents or Officers. They are included in the 87,000 number. That number is for all hiring over 10 years. Don’t listen to the people telling you it’s 87000 armed agents coming for you because you forgot about a $400 dividend
Most of this money will be cut back anyway. It already started with the IRS existing budget being reduced to start mitigating the newly passed money.

Sounds like a lot of whales will die due to these windmills. Very sad! However, just like most big NJ projects, it is unlikely to very happen.

Just focus on modernizing and expanding existing NJ nuke plants. Problem solved!
You obviously did not read the article at all. Not surprising for you.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
You obviously did not read the article at all. Not surprising for you.
Of course not, but read plenty in the past. Offshore windmills cause a lot of disruptions and are just a bad idea. Cost, maintenance, wildlife, boating, etc.

Get back to nuke energy. Let's go!

Of course not, but read plenty in the past. Offshore windmills cause a lot of disruptions and are just a bad idea. Cost, maintenance, wildlife, boating, etc.

Since you don't care to read, here:

"NOAA scientists have said there is no evidence that sonar and noise created from pre-construction offshore wind activity is harming the whales.

No whale strandings have ever been documented from offshore wind development noise, Benjamin Laws, deputy chief for the permits and conservation division at NOAA's Fisheries Office of Protected Resources, said last month.

In addition, some of the sound generated by human activity and seafloor mapping equipment cannot be heard by large whales like humpbacks, who hear in lower frequencies than other species, according to Erica Staaterman, a bioacoustician at the federal Bureau of Ocean Energy Management's Center for Marine Acoustics who talked with reporters last month."

I don't know about the finances angle of this or what it will do to electric rates. I also get the argument that there will be disturbances and inconveniences as they tear up beaches to run cable, etc. But if the closest turbine is 10 miles off the coast, sure you can see it but barely. People complaining about their view being ruined, LOL.
I have no doubt the cost to build this project will be much more than stated and will be passed onto the consumer so electric rates that were predicted to rise will rise much more than people are being told. I also don't doubt that many of us will be dead before it's completed. With that said, people will get used to the view real quick. My 1st time seeing a decent number of windmills in one place was on a Maui mountainside as I was heading out for a snorkeling trip and it didn't bother me at all nor did it affect tourism there.

I have no doubt the cost to build this project will be much more than stated and will be passed onto the consumer so electric rates that were predicted to rise will rise much more than people are being told. I also don't doubt that many of us will be dead before it's completed. With that said, people will get used to the view real quick. My 1st time seeing a decent number of windmills in one place was on a Maui mountainside as I was heading out for a snorkeling trip and it didn't bother me at all nor did it affect tourism there.

They never did on Martha's Vinyatd

What "boating" do they disrupt?

can't believe anyone is dumb enough to support expansion of the irs
The IRS is no different than police agencies. They enforce laws. Most do their job as it should be done. Some use their power inappropriately and should be dealt with accordingly.

You guys that don’t want the IRS to function by starving their budget are no different than the defund the police mob.

You just want to destroy a different organization based on a different political ideology

The IRS is no different than police agencies. They enforce laws. Most do their job as it should be done. Some use their power inappropriately and should be dealt with accordingly.

You guys that don’t want the IRS to function by starving their budget are no different than the defund the police mob.

You just want to destroy a different organization based on a different political ideology
Comparing the IRS to the police is moronic. That's like comparing a mall cop to a Navy Seal. LOL!

The vast majority of tax collection is done automatically via withholding. It is likely the IRS headcount and budget can be reduced even more.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Comparing the IRS to the police is moronic. That's like comparing a mall cop to a Navy Seal. LOL!

The vast majority of tax collection is done automatically via withholding. It is likely the IRS headcount and budget can be reduced even more.
The man with no knowledge on the subject speaks again

Yawn

Reactions: Knight Shift

It's more about where the more money is spent. Last year the IRS answered only about 15% of the phone calls they received. Yes, that function needs more staff and funds. But the staunchest advocates in Congress don't give a rats ass about that. They want to GET people, and if you're wealthy you're guilty until proven innocent.

The competitors on this are from both extremes and neither of their plans are good.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
It's more about where the more money is spent. Last year the IRS answered only about 15% of the phone calls they received. Yes, that function needs more staff and funds. But the staunchest advocates in Congress don't give a rats ass about that. They want to GET people, and if you're wealthy you're guilty until proven innocent.

The competitors on this are from both extremes and neither of their plans are good.
+1 - We know what this is about.

Best way to get people to comply with income tax laws? Flat tax with no deductions. BOOM! We can get rid of 95% of the IRS.

Reactions: RUfinally2008

Hush, men are talking.

The GOP has, over the years, reduced IRS enforcement to near nothing. It needs to be restored.

Contrary to the stipulation of Mister Potatohead, here, the majority of tax collection is not done via "withholding". Most tax revenue is collected via quarterly estimated payments for the various tax entities that are not simply "personal 1040". People cheat on corporate submissions. The cheating is rampant. One need simply to look at the recent conviction of the Trump Corp to begin to understand the level of outright theft that occurs on a regular basis.

Tens of billions in tax revenue goes uncollected every year because the IRS doesn't have the manpower to do compliance audits on corporate returns. The only ones not being hurt by this practice are the corporate stakeholders doing the cheating.

People like ol' Slim Cerebrum, here, applaud this sort of theft because they have delusions of grandeur, thinking that someday they, too, may be able to make millions ripping off the government. It's fantasy, of course. The Marginal Mayor just admitted, without realizing, that he doesn't know about any world other than 1040s. He is a Simple Man.

Hush, men are talking.

The GOP has, over the years, reduced IRS enforcement to near nothing. It needs to be restored.

Contrary to the stipulation of Mister Potatohead, here, the majority of tax collection is not done via "withholding". Most tax revenue is collected via quarterly estimated payments for the various tax entities that are not simply "personal 1040". People cheat on corporate submissions. The cheating is rampant. One need simply to look at the recent conviction of the Trump Corp to begin to understand the level of outright theft that occurs on a regular basis.

Tens of billions in tax revenue goes uncollected every year because the IRS doesn't have the manpower to do compliance audits on corporate returns. The only ones not being hurt by this practice are the corporate stakeholders doing the cheating.

People like ol' Slim Cerebrum, here, applaud this sort of theft because they have delusions of grandeur, thinking that someday they, too, may be able to make millions ripping off the government. It's fantasy, of course. The Marginal Mayor just admitted, without realizing, that he doesn't know about any world other than 1040s. He is a Simple Man.
86% of all federal tax revenue is via income and payroll taxes. About 95% of this amount is collected by withholding laws. D'uh. LOL!

86% of all federal tax revenue is via income and payroll taxes. About 95% of this amount is collected by withholding laws. D'uh. LOL!

These numbers include so-called "self-employment tax", which is a tremendous sinkhole of cheating.

You're a 1040 filer. You shouldn't be opposed to additional compliance auditing. It's utterly illogical.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Hush, men are talking.

It's always about Trump. LMFAO. I wonder if The Biden Crime Family has reported all the China income they have swindled over several decades,asking for a friend.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
It's always about Trump. LMFAO. I wonder if The Biden Crime Family has reported all the China income they have swindled over several decades,asking for a friend.
No one mentioned Trump until you.

The IRS should audit every president so yes Biden should be audited

Slim Cerebrum. 🤣

the office agree GIF by EditingAndLayout

Trump has always made everything about himself. So not sure what your point is, there. He can make everything about him but the rest of us can’t? What kind of anti-freedom snowflake silliness is that?

As for Sleepy Joe, stop whining and put him on trial if you think a case can be made in court. If he’s convicted, great. Lock ‘em all up and throw away the key.

These numbers include so-called "self-employment tax", which is a tremendous sinkhole of cheating.

And is already a hot button for audits. So now we're going to put self-employed people whose returns don't ring any bells in Holtsville through the audit process? But that's right, they all cheat.

And is already a hot button for audits. So now we're going to put self-employed people whose returns don't ring any bells in Holtsville through the audit process? But that's right, they all cheat.

Compliance audits are a proven mass enforcement technique.

It's a cursory glance and if everything looks okay at that first glance, the investigators move on.

We can't continue to let millions of dollars in federal revenue go uncollected. I genuinely don't understand the resistance to this, unless you're a tax cheat. I don't know, because I don't know you. I know T2k isn't a tax cheat because he's too f*ckin' stupid.

You didn't read the post he quoted.

I cited the Trump Corp case. It has to do with Trump in that he's the head of the company.

It's relevant because it's one of the most spectacular example of criminal tax fraud in recent history. It's relevant because the number of entities doing this sort of thing, even if on a lesser scale, is staggering.

Another take on it.

Spoiler: It’s not the turbine activity

Reactions: Knight Shift
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT