ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Coming to a beach near you in NJ and NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Trump we're talking about, though. So the fact that there's no oil there would never deter him from stating, loudly and obnoxiously, that he wants to put oil rigs there. 🤣

Fair point.

In all seriousness, he lacks the scope of understanding necessary to parse the geological details. I'd be willing to bet that he believes that if you drill anywhere you can find oil.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Fair point.

In all seriousness, he lacks the scope of understanding necessary to parse the geological details. I'd be willing to bet that he believes that if you drill anywhere you can find oil.
Probably.

It wouldn't be so bad, our presidents attempting to portray expertise on stuff they know nothing about, if they would actually listen to their advisors, do a little reading on the subject, etc. I mean, yes, it would still be bad.

Just not so bad.

Would help if the electorate, 99.9% of whom know almost nothing about 99.9% of political issues, would recognize that fact and let actual life-long experts fight it out instead of instantly latching onto whatever obviously biased crap politicians, propaganda websites, and talk show hosts say about it.

Okay sure, my stats might be painting too rosy a picture. But I was being careful not to be overly critical of the electorate. 🙂

Reactions: RU4Real
Fair point.

You can't rule out though someone telling him Cheney is against drilling off NJ and him doing it to spite her. And then someone telling his fan club windmills cause woke CRT drag shows.

Did this come close to happening?? No, of course not. I don't anyone that supported this. Stop conflating issues.
Not only did it not come close to happening, from what I remember, Trump's proposal was to allow it to happen but individual states would get final say if there was drilling off their coast. The windmill "view" is a non issue as far as I'm concerned but I do have questions about what the actual cost will be as opposed to what our government is saying it is. I suspect the actual cost will be 2-3 times higher and electric rates will more than double but politicians like Murphy who push it will be out of office years before the answer is known and we'll be paying the bill. And for what it's worth, this isn't a partisan issue since Christie was in office when these studies began.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Probably.

It wouldn't be so bad, our presidents attempting to portray expertise on stuff they know nothing about, if they would actually listen to their advisors, do a little reading on the subject, etc. I mean, yes, it would still be bad.

Just not so bad.

Would help if the electorate, 99.9% of whom know almost nothing about 99.9% of political issues, would recognize that fact and let actual life-long experts fight it out instead of instantly latching onto whatever obviously biased crap politicians, propaganda websites, and talk show hosts say about it.

Okay sure, my stats might be painting too rosy a picture. But I was being careful not to be overly critical of the electorate. 🙂
Didn't we let actual life-long experts fight it out when it came to Covid, and how did that work out? Now we have actual life-long experts in finance fighting over how to stop inflation and bank failures! It really doesn't matter what talking heads on whatever bull$hit channel anyone watches to see your shopping bills, gas has gone sky high. I don't trust any of these $cumbags to tell the truth when lying might make them very rich by doing so. When some journalist some day has the nads to do a deep dive into widespread corruption and a publisher has the balls to publish it, then maybe we all will know what was fact and what was fiction.

Nothing to see here...... move along.....

"In 2019, there were a total of 7,719 confirmed cetacean (whale, dolphin, and porpoise) and pinniped (seal and sea lion) strandings in the United States."

Yup, leave it to the experts, they have all the answers, now whether or not we'll ever know those answers is anyone's guess.

You have the largest "verbosity to relevance" ratio of anyone on this board.

This post (and the one before it, but this one especially) added literally nothing to the conversation and served no purpose other than the broaden your overall lack of appeal.

So... well done, I guess.

"In 2019, there were a total of 7,719 confirmed cetacean (whale, dolphin, and porpoise) and pinniped (seal and sea lion) strandings in the United States."

Cool. How many were in NJ the last 50 years on the same day?

Cool. How many were in NJ the last 50 years on the same day?
There were 3 in Raritan Bay a couple weeks ago.

From 2013...

BRIGANTINE, N.J. — Nearly two dozen dead or dying dolphins have washed up on New Jersey beaches this year and scientists are wondering what's gone wrong.

Since a dead dolphin was found July 9 about 80 miles north of here in Long Branch, the 23 mammals have have washed onto beaches from Raritan Bay to Cape May, about double the usual number, said founding director Bob Schoelkopf of the Marine Mammal Stranding Center, which has responded to each.

Do you even read your own articles? 😂😂😂

"As of March 2023, no offshore wind-related construction activities have taken place in waters off the New Jersey coast,"
The we don’t believe in science crowd added we don’t believe in reading to their arsenal.

Do you even read your own articles? 😂😂😂

"As of March 2023, no offshore wind-related construction activities have taken place in waters off the New Jersey coast,"
No one is saying it’s the construction obviously since it hasn’t started yet. There is speculation that it could be the sonar mapping of the sea floor or whatever they are doing in preparation

The we don’t believe in science crowd added we don’t believe in reading to their arsenal.
What science are you speaking of and who isn’t believing in it?

Speaking of science, I’m thinking we likely have better technology than something from the Don Quixote era to generate electricity

I'm really not sure what's so confusing about all this.

Masks do help. Are they 100% effective? No. But it's an easy win against Rt.

Vaccines are tricky. Understanding their performance is nuanced. @RU848789 can explain it far better than I, but it should be enough to say that the efficacy numbers published prior to EA for any of the vaccines turned out, over time, to be pretty accurate against the variants they were built for. What's happened with Covid is that it mutates pretty well and vaccines are forever playing catch-up, resulting in lower overall efficacy. That's a bummer, but it is what it is, with viruses. That's why there's no vaccine for the common cold.

Somehow you - and many others like you - don't want to parse that level of detail because it doesn't suit your political narrative. I'm not even going down that rabbit hole.

Suffice to say that here, as per the actual science, you are incorrect.
Well said. I'd only add that, despite the large decrease in efficacy against transmission, due to omicron variants being more than 10X more transmissible than the original strain (obviously not able to be predicted when the original clinical trials were conducted), the protection against severe COVID and death relative to people who were never vaccinated (or previously infected - infection confers pretty good protection, but at a much greater risk in obtaining that protection relative to vaccines) has remained nearly the same, with an estimated 2-3MM lives saved and 20MM+ hospitalizations saved in the US alone. In case the mods are reading this, note that I'm just responding to a request...

https://www.commonwealthfund.org/bl...s.-,Findings,million more COVID-19 infections.

And with regard to the subject at hand, if people don't want offshore windmills because they're aesthetically unpleasing to some (I think they look cool) or because they don't like the way this project is being financed or run or have concerns over the financial payback period of windmills (which are typically less than 2 years using full life cycle analysis), they should stick to those arguments. However, they should stop with the faux environmental/wildlife arguments, as those concerns over windmills are grossly overstated.

https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/environmental-impacts-wind-power

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/02/11/whale-deaths-and-windmills/11178432002/

https://energyindustryreview.com/metals-mining/strategic-materials-and-energy-transition-copper/

• Haha
Reactions: bac2therac
Well said. I'd only add that, despite the large decrease in efficacy against transmission, due to omicron variants being more than 10X more transmissible than the original strain (obviously not able to be predicted when the original clinical trials were conducted), the protection against severe COVID and death relative to people who were never vaccinated (or previously infected - infection confers pretty good protection, but at a much greater risk in obtaining that protection relative to vaccines) has remained nearly the same, with an estimated 2-3MM lives saved and 20MM+ hospitalizations saved in the US alone. In case the mods are reading this, note that I'm just responding to a request...

https://www.commonwealthfund.org/blog/2022/two-years-covid-vaccines-prevented-millions-deaths-hospitalizations#:~:text=on our methods.-,Findings,million more COVID-19 infections.

And with regard to the subject at hand, if people don't want offshore windmills because they're aesthetically unpleasing to some (I think they look cool) or because they don't like the way this project is being financed or run or have concerns over the financial payback period of windmills (which are typically less than 2 years using full life cycle analysis), they should stick to those arguments. However, they should stop with the faux environmental/wildlife arguments, as those concerns over windmills are grossly overstated.

https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/environmental-impacts-wind-power

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/02/11/whale-deaths-and-windmills/11178432002/

https://energyindustryreview.com/metals-mining/strategic-materials-and-energy-transition-copper/
So we should only stick to one specific argument against the windmills? Could it be there are a multitude of reasons these things don’t make sense?

I’ve yet to hear anyone say the benefits of them other than they look cool yet we want to throw 98 of them out there

So we should only stick to one specific argument against the windmills? Could it be there are a multitude of reasons these things don’t make sense?

I’ve yet to hear anyone say the benefits of them other than they look cool yet we want to throw 98 of them out there
It was the butler with the knife in the basement.

C'mon man, put that degree and Merck experience to work and read a little. Almost every source one can find (including the very detailed Energy Industry Review article I linked above) says that the financial payback time for wind energy is in the 1-2 year timeframe (vs. ~20-30 year lifetime of the units) and, of course, wind energy is far far lower with regard to carbon footprint than every fossil fuel (as low as nuclear). These are real financial and environmental benefits. If you don't want to wade through something as deep and detailed as the EIR article, the one below provides a much more easy-to-digest summary of the benefits.

https://www.politifact.com/factchec...nate-candidates-muddled-claim-about-windmill/

1DC3nM2.png

C'mon man, put that degree and Merck experience to work and read a little. Almost every source one can find (including the very detailed Energy Industry Review article I linked above) says that the financial payback time for wind energy is in the 1-2 year timeframe (vs. ~20-30 year lifetime of the units) and, of course, wind energy is far far lower with regard to carbon footprint than every fossil fuel (as low as nuclear). These are real financial and environmental benefits. If you don't want to wade through something as deep and detailed as the EIR article, the one below provides a much more easy-to-digest summary of the benefits.

https://www.politifact.com/factchec...nate-candidates-muddled-claim-about-windmill/

1DC3nM2.png

This project is going to cost over 2 BILLION dollars, how is that going to be paid back in 1-2 years??!! And 2 billion is just the estimate. We know what happens to any of these lengthy projects and cost. What happens in 15-20 years when these have to be replaced? Its just not a smart way to produce electricity, we can do much better with the technology we have without shoving these things in the ocean with no idea on their impact to sea life, people or the environment. Add in we are doing it with a foreign company. Once these are in you are going to see them from CT to NC by the thousands, what will the impact be then?

Last edited:
No one is saying it’s the construction obviously since it hasn’t started yet. There is speculation that it could be the sonar mapping of the sea floor or whatever they are doing in preparation

There is no mapping activity occurring right now, nor has there been for several months. It's not an ongoing thing - it takes a couple of months, then it's done. It's been done for quite some time.

There is no mapping activity occurring right now, nor has there been for several months. It's not an ongoing thing - it takes a couple of months, then it's done. It's been done for quite some time.
Maybe there’s at least a six month- year delay from the sonar mapping or the whales were trying to warn us about the danger of construction by committing suicide. Another reason might be global warming. Climate change are bringing black buzzards up north. Don’t get me started on the lobster move northward leaving the US waters or the blue crabs moving to Maine.

Last edited:
Probably.

Just not so bad.

So you consider yourself part of the 1/10 of 1 percent, therefore entitled to making all decisions? The very reason this country is leaning so far away from a free and democratic society. The very thing Liberals accused Conservatives of trying to do. Just another example of anything Liberals accuse Conservatives of,are actually in fact what they strive to do. Carry-on 1/10 of 1 percenters

• Angry
So you consider yourself part of the 1/10 of 1 percent, therefore entitled to making all decisions? The very reason this country is leaning so far away from a free and democratic society. The very thing Liberals accused Conservatives of trying to do. Just another example of anything Liberals accuse Conservatives of,are actually in fact what they strive to do. Carry-on 1/10 of 1 percenters

Well, let's look at that.

He (and I) are presenting fact-based arguments.

Your arguments are entirely rhetorical.

So suggesting that "you" are being left out of the decision-making process would also have to include the "why".

What science are you speaking of and who isn’t believing in it?

Speaking of science, I’m thinking we likely have better technology than something from the Don Quixote era to generate electricity
So wind turbines are "old" technology?

How about coal? First used in bronze age....
Oil? First used for heating in China in first century BC.
Water/hydro? First recorded usage in 5th century BC and likely quite a bit earlier
Solar? - Well how long has the earth been revolving around the sun?
Natural Gas? - first reported used in China around 900 BC

Windmills were first recorded used in 12th century CE making them positively modern compared to these other sources.

The only power source in widepread use today that is truly modern is nuclear. I would be really interested in your reaction if they try to replace the recently decommissioned Beesley's Point coal power plant with a nuclear plant.

Reactions: RU848789
So wind turbines are "old" technology?

How about coal? First used in bronze age....
Oil? First used for heating in China in first century BC.
Water/hydro? First recorded usage in 5th century BC and likely quite a bit earlier
Solar? - Well how long has the earth been revolving around the sun?
Natural Gas? - first reported used in China around 900 BC

Windmills were first recorded used in 12th century CE making them positively modern compared to these other sources.

The only power source in widepread use today that is truly modern is nuclear. I would be really interested in your reaction if they try to replace the recently decommissioned Beesley's Point coal power plant with a nuclear plant.
Comparing how they used coal and oil to windmills is a little silly. They weren't trying to power a modern civilization and all its power needs with a lump of coal in the "bronze age"

I'm all for turning Beasley's point into a nuclear plant. It certainly makes more sense than an unproven source like windmills with limited life span

I'm all for turning Beasley's point into a nuclear plant. It certainly makes more sense than an unproven source like windmills with limited life span

I think people overestimate the efficacy of nuclear power.

The plants are f*ck-all expensive to build. It takes a long time - roughly 14 years from inception of planning to operational status.

The comparison to wind is a pretty good one, really. The current work order for NJ's project calls for a generating capacity of 3500 MW by 2035. That's enough electricity to power half of NJ - roughly the same as all of NJ's nuke plants combined when Oyster Creek was still operating.

Costs are roughly the same. Capacity is roughly the same. What's not the same is that wind doesn't carry the risk of catastrophic accident, reliance on the global price of strip-mined Uranium or a giant, concrete-sealed hole in the ground that remains in place for the next 10,000 years.

And, again, I believe the majority of the arguments against offshore wind are disingenuous - if for no other reason than I don't think any of the people making those arguments would have done so with regard to, say, the hundreds of offshore oil rigs in the Gulf.

Note: The Sierra Club is on the record as being in favor of the NJ offshore wind project. They point out that there's no danger to birds in the Atlantic Flyway because those migrations occur within 3 miles of the shoreline and that the hazards posed to birds by wind, generally, are much less than the number of birds attributed as lost to climate change.

Reactions: m1ipabrams
Comparing how they used coal and oil to windmills is a little silly. They weren't trying to power a modern civilization and all its power needs with a lump of coal in the "bronze age"

Nor were they trying to use wind turbines to generate electricity in the Don Quixote era. Each was an appropriate use for the level of technology and societal needs. Each source has evolved over time based on improvements to technology, and some energy sources have disappeared(or declined) due to technology advances. Example might be large scale oil fired powerplants which now account for <1% of all large scale power generation in the US.

Saying Wind Turbines are old technology and not appropriate for our current needs because we used them to grind grain 500 years ago is silly.

Also I don't get the unproven part. Wind Turbines have been used in the US for large scale electricity generation since the 1980s, over 40 years. Wind now accounts for 7% of world wide electrical generation.

Large scale commercial offshore wind farms have been used in Europe for 20 years and powers about 5 million homes.

Reactions: rutgersdave
Well, let's look at that.

He (and I) are presenting fact-based arguments.

Your arguments are entirely rhetorical.

So suggesting that "you" are being left out of the decision-making process would also have to include the "why".
Did I misinterpret his post to mean any subject and all topics, because stating 99.9 percent of voters know almost nothing on politics is a direct shot. Sorry my statement is only rhetoric to you because you refuse to believe anything or even consider the possibility you might be wrong on something,anything. Did democrats use facial recognition to arrest thousands who destroyed cities during the Summer Of Love Tour or was that mostly "peaceful" as CNN reporters described with buildings burning in the background. LMFAO! That wouldn't be considered rhetoric by definition in a Democratic dictionary? The art of persuasion in writing or speaking and it must be persuasive. Tell me other than Fox News, who has controlled the narrative the last 6 years with Social media,mainstream media, print and both houses of Congress. That is rhetoric, and you have had total control.Let's also throw in the fact all the government alphabet soup agencies have shown themselves to be political allies for one side of the aisle. Go ahead, either have my post deleted or laughed at, I really don't care. This 99.9% uninformed person is so sick of the lies and watching the 0.1% know it alls doing nothing about the downfall facing this country. Biden is so weak, our enemies are doing stuff worldwide that never would happen in the past. Remember when basement Joe promised to be the great healer of the country, WTF happened? Truly sickening.

I did not, in any way, elevate myself above the 99% I was talking about in my post. Nor did I insinuate it.

I have no idea what you're talking about in your post, but neither liberals nor conservatives are interested in a free country. That's a myth both sides perpetuate about themselves despite ample obvious evidence to the contrary.

Political parties and ideologies exist only to exert control over how people think, largely to drive their voting habits. IMO, the parties and ideologies are worse than unnecessary; they are harmful and stupid. Everything, good or bad, that people try to attribute to them is 100% pure bullshit. It's shepherding nonsense for the weak-minded.

You enjoy that political stuff. I'll pass, thanks.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
I did not, in any way, elevate myself above the 99% I was talking about in my post. Nor did I insinuate it.

I have no idea what you're talking about in your post, but neither liberals nor conservatives are interested in a free country. That's a myth both sides perpetuate about themselves despite ample obvious evidence to the contrary.

Political parties and ideologies exist only to exert control over how people think, largely to drive their voting habits. IMO, the parties and ideologies are worse than unnecessary; they are harmful and stupid. Everything, good or bad, that people try to attribute to them is 100% pure bullshit. It's shepherding nonsense for the weak-minded.

You enjoy that political stuff. I'll pass, thanks.
My take was you kind of did insinuate it, but at least you didn't limit it to one party, that in itself is refreshing.

Nor were they trying to use wind turbines to generate electricity in the Don Quixote era. Each was an appropriate use for the level of technology and societal needs. Each source has evolved over time based on improvements to technology, and some energy sources have disappeared(or declined) due to technology advances. Example might be large scale oil fired powerplants which now account for <1% of all large scale power generation in the US.

Saying Wind Turbines are old technology and not appropriate for our current needs because we used them to grind grain 500 years ago is silly.

Also I don't get the unproven part. Wind Turbines have been used in the US for large scale electricity generation since the 1980s, over 40 years. Wind now accounts for 7% of world wide electrical generation.

Large scale commercial offshore wind farms have been used in Europe for 20 years and powers about 5 million homes.
Then why are countries like the Netherlands moving away from them if they are so effecient?

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT