ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hurricane Hilary to Impact Mexican Coast and probably SoCal/SW-US

A year’s-worth of rain in 2 days.

So Cal, Nevada and Arizona - especially in the summer - are ill-equipped to deal with large amounts of rain. The ground is typically hard-pan so it mostly all runs off - very little ends up absorbing into the ground.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
BTW, I don't think this was previously posted - there has never been a tropical depression or hurricane in California (at least not recorded). The water is typically way too cold for this to occur. Pacific Ocean temps in So Cal are about the same as the Atlantic Ocean in Maine.

BTW, I don't think this was previously posted - there has never been a tropical depression or hurricane in California (at least not recorded). The water is typically way too cold for this to occur. Pacific Ocean temps in So Cal are about the same as the Atlantic Ocean in Maine.
Not true. There was the unnamed tropical storm in 1939 and a Cat 1 hurricane in 1858, as per the link below. But they're very rare.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hurric...lifornia-tropical-storm-nearly-unprecedented/

“Vic Torre” joined the board this week. Clearly, a long-standing troll who created a new handle.

Wow, troll? Talk about something coming out of Left Field.
Thank you for the warm welcome.

When you joined did someone make the same accusation?

If you must know, a fellow alum had told me about TKR. Is that is ok with you?

A warm welcome would have been friendlier.
I’m concerned about people in Tijuana in the path of this storm.

Maybe a reply to that person that was bothered by my post would have been more appropriate?

See you in the football threads if you post there.

The off topic discussions seem to turn into mindless pissing contests and who can get more angry and nasty by the same dozen or so people.

-vic

Reactions: bac2therac

Maybe a reply to that person that was bothered by my post would have been more appropriate?

The off topic discussions seem to turn into mindless pissing contests and who can get more angry and nasty by the same dozen or so people.

-vic

Nobody was "bothered by" your post. You think way too much of what other people think about what you say.

Also, you've never been to Tijuana.

-vic
To be honest, I always thought @Local Shill was Tom Luicci. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Local Shill
So Cal, Nevada and Arizona - especially in the summer - are ill-equipped to deal with large amounts of rain. The ground is typically hard-pan so it mostly all runs off - very little ends up absorbing into the ground.
Run off is fine/useful if it is managed appropriately - i.e., directed to canals, reservoirs, streams, etc. It all doesn't need to be absorbed into the ground to be beneficial.

-vic

My observation is that you've been an extremely judgemental complainer about people who've been posting on this board for decades.........especially for someone who just joined a couple weeks back.

And speaking of complainers........at least you've managed to get the resident Weed Wacker to follow you around to like your posts.....kudos.

Reactions: Purple-Ed and Kbee3
My observation is that you've been an extremely judgemental complainer about people who've been posting on this board for decades.........especially for someone who just joined a couple weeks back.

And speaking of complainers........at least you've managed to get the resident Weed Wacker to follow you around to like your posts.....kudos.
Yeah, can wet brain be far behind?

Reactions: RU848789

Just my two cents.
You’re okay with the fighting. ?

Well , he first said he would ignore my posts but you’re right he’s been following me and replying. Fine with me.

Go RU!

-vic

Reactions: bac2therac
Rain has started in North County San Diego. Based on past NJ experiences I decided to lay the kids basketball hoop on it’s side. I went out this morning and saw most of the neighbors followed suit.

Rain has started in North County San Diego. Based on past NJ experiences I decided to lay the kids basketball hoop on it’s side. I went out this morning and saw most of the neighbors followed suit.
What is yours filled with?

Not necessarily - let's see how much excess rain and how bad the flooding is before saying which is worse...

Any shot for the remnants of this storm reaching Canada and helping with the fires?

Excess rain is better than another round of wildfires.
Rain at this point might be a local headache with flooding or downed power lines but it will also go into reservoirs and water the Imperial Valley, which is agricultural.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
So, Hilary just made landfall on the Baja Peninsula as a strong TS with 65 mph winds and torrential rains, with catastrophic flooding looking likely for that area and parts of SoCal and Nevada, where 3-6" of rain are still forecast and heavy rains have begun falling. This is more rain than some areas in the desert get in a year and most of this area gets zero rain in August, so this is unprecedented. We could even see a few inches of rain as far north as Utah and western Oregon.

Wind gusts of 78 mph have already been recorded in the mountans east of San Diego - most areas won't see winds over 50 mph, but we could see plenty of hurricane force wind gusts in the mountains (less frictional effects). The mountainous areas that get torrential rains could definitely see mudslides, too. See the graphic below detailing the flooding threat and the NHC bulletin below and the links to the Wunderground article and NHC webpage on the storm. This is a serious and life-threatening storm for this area.

QXBkhkp.png

https://www.wunderground.com/articl...hern-california-flood-tropical-storm-forecast

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_ep4.shtml?start#contents

BULLETIN
Tropical Storm Hilary Intermediate Advisory Number 17A
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL EP092023
1100 AM PDT Sun Aug 20 2023

...HILARY MAKES LANDFALL OVER THE NORTHERN BAJA CALIFORNIA
PENINSULA...
...CATASTROPHIC AND LIFE-THREATENING FLOODING LIKELY OVER BAJA
CALIFORNIA AND PORTIONS OF THE SOUTHWESTERN U.S. THROUGH MONDAY...

SUMMARY OF 1100 AM PDT...1800 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...29.9N 115.6W
ABOUT 215 MI...340 KM SSE OF SAN DIEGO CALIFORNIA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...65 MPH...100 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 345 DEGREES AT 25 MPH...41 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...988 MB...29.18 INCHES

Last edited:
Any shot for the remnants of this storm reaching Canada and helping with the fires?
Very unlikely, as the remnants look to head NE after slamming eastern Oregon and Idaho, towards the upper Midwest...

Last edited:
Not necessarily - let's see how much excess rain and how bad the flooding is before saying which is worse...

Exactly... wildfires tend to not hit major population centers directly. We're looking at the latest multi-tens of billion dollar climate-related/exacerbated disaster. Can't imagine the infrastructure in LA is ready to handle something like this. Will be comparable to Harvey with mudslides and mountain runoff as an added bonus.

Exactly... wildfires tend to not hit major population centers directly. We're looking at the latest multi-tens of billion dollar climate-related/exacerbated disaster. Can't imagine the infrastructure in LA is ready to handle something like this. Will be comparable to Harvey with mudslides and mountain runoff as an added bonus.
Agree with the risks here, but I think it's difficult to tie Hilary to climate change, per se, as there have been previous (although rare) tropical systems to impact this region.

Rain at this point might be a local headache with flooding or downed power lines but it will also go into reservoirs and water the Imperial Valley, which is agricultural.
Agreed. Short-term pain, long-term gain.

Agree with the risks here, but I think it's difficult to tie Hilary to climate change, per se, as there have been previous (although rare) tropical systems to impact this region.

Agreed - was thinking more the moisture content of the storm fueled by warmer ocean waters and its potential to hammer everything in its path with excessive rainfall amounts - rather than the existence of the storm itself (which I think we both agree can't be linked with any degree of certainty).

Very unlikely, as the remnants look to head NE after slamming western Oregon and Idaho, towards the upper Midwest...

Don't you mean Eastern Washington? Actually they could use the rain as well, but Canada would be even better.

Agreed - was thinking more the moisture content of the storm fueled by warmer ocean waters and its potential to hammer everything in its path with excessive rainfall amounts - rather than the existence of the storm itself (which I think we both agree can't be linked with any degree of certainty).

Are the water temps in the Pacific warmer than average? The storm seems to be lessening in intensity a little faster than expected. To be clear, it remains a dangerous storm.

Excess rain is better than another round of wildfires.

Failure to Understand.

Flash floods undermine the root systems of the chaparral grass that grows on the hillsides, making them much more prone to die-off during ensuing drought and thereby increasing the fire risk.

They form in the Southern Hemisphere? Just a guess.
Southern hemisphere storms rotate clockwise; northern counterclockwise. Northern hemisphere storms are all the same regardless of what they’re called.

BTW, I think toilet flushes rotate clockwise down below the equator as well

Last edited:
Just my two cents.
You’re okay with the fighting. ?

Well , he first said he would ignore my posts but you’re right he’s been following me and replying. Fine with me.

Go RU!

-vic

As far as the fighting, whether I like it or not is really not up to me. If the mods are letting it go, then they are either not paying attention or they must feel it's ok. You might want to take the time to observe the repeat participants in this type of stuff and the nuance of certain posting styles before condemning anyone. Just sayin.

Reactions: vic_torre42
As far as the fighting, whether I like it or not is really not up to me. If the mods are letting it go, then they are either not paying attention or they must feel it's ok. You might want to take the time to observe the repeat participants in this type of stuff and the nuance of certain posting styles before condemning anyone. Just sayin.

That’s fair. Thank you for the response.

-vic

Reactions: RUInsanity
Are the water temps in the Pacific warmer than average? The storm seems to be lessening in intensity a little faster than expected. To be clear, it remains a dangerous storm.

Yes. The storm formed and traveled over waters that are 3-4 C above average. The waters outside of SoCal appear to be mostly normal - so taking some energy out of it. I would imagine that being partly over land has helped decrease the wind intensity - but this is mostly going to be about the excessive rainfall and its potential to exceed the infrastructure of the region and mudslides, other issues, particuarly in areas that have burned but not yet recovered.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT