ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hurricane Hilary to Impact Mexican Coast and probably SoCal/SW-US

Reactions: newell138
Google could be your friend.

Seems like they have a bunch more to get….

LAHSA says with the help of its partners, 50 people from the Santa Fe Dam area have already been moved to safer locations

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Seems like they have a bunch more to get….

LAHSA says with the help of its partners, 50 people from the Santa Fe Dam area have already been moved to safer locations

It’s not an easy task. Many of them don’t want help.

A 5.0 is pretty big. Not fun being in one.

I was at that epicenter of the 5.8 quake in VA back in 2011 - that was the one that cracked the Washington Monument and was felt all the way to NYC.

It was a little unnerving, but I wouldn't call it "not fun".

Southern hemisphere storms rotate clockwise; northern counterclockwise. Northern hemisphere storms are all the same regardless of what they’re called.

BTW, I think toilet flushes rotate clockwise down below the equator as well
True that the coriolis effect leads to counterclockwise cyclone rotation in the northern hemisphere and clockwise rotation in the southern hemisphere, as the coriolis effect has an impact on large scale airflows. However, it has a negligible effect on toilet flush direction, which is mostly determined by the manufacturer's design.

Reactions: RUaMoose
I was at that epicenter of the 5.8 quake in VA back in 2011 - that was the one that cracked the Washington Monument and was felt all the way to NYC.

It was a little unnerving, but I wouldn't call it "not fun".
I was playing poker at the Taj in AC and watching the chandeliers swaying was a little disconcerting. I left the table to call my wife to see if she saw anything on the news and she filled me in on the VA quake which was felt pretty strongly in AC. 98% of the gamblers just kept playing, lol.

Failure to Understand.

Flash floods undermine the root systems of the chaparral grass that grows on the hillsides, making them much more prone to die-off during ensuing drought and thereby increasing the fire risk.
Increasing the risk of fire isn't as bad as actually having fire, though.

I was playing poker at the Taj in AC and watching the chandeliers swaying was a little disconcerting. I left the table to call my wife to see if she saw anything on the news and she filled me in on the VA quake which was felt pretty strongly in AC. 98% of the gamblers just kept playing, lol.

I found it interesting because I was on the job, we were doing a large data center migration for the American Red Cross and we happened to be on site at their tech center in VA - and just happened to be sitting, for the week, in their Command Center. When the quake hit the windows started to flex and the floor started bouncing up and down - enough so that you couldn't walk.

One of the RC guys started saying "We should find out what's going on, how do we find out what's going on?" I mentioned that there were at least 40 televisions in the room.

• Haha
Reactions: RUDiddy777
Wet winters are often followed by fiery autumns. All that winter rain fueled growth that died in the summer. Rain now might dampen some of it.

The timing is great to suppress the immediate risk - but it’s just creating a bigger risk for next fire season. I was out in LA from 2016-2018. Epic skiing that 16/17 winter, then hellscapes Aug - Dec.

Agreed it might reduce risk in the near term after another epic winter this past season…but it’ll be a bigger problem next year if it damages the root systems as noted by 4Real.

Hilary made "landfall" in SoCal south of Palm Springs and east of San Diego at about 8 pm EDT with 50 mph winds. No real changes in the forecast, but this is still a very dangerous storm with catastrophic flooding likely (and flooding ongoing), given how water can fall very heavily over a large area and then drain downhill towards much smaller areas at great velocities and volumes.

BULLETIN
Tropical Storm Hilary Intermediate Advisory Number 18A
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL EP092023
500 PM PDT Sun Aug 20 2023

...CENTER OF HILARY MOVES INTO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA...
...CATASTROPHIC AND LIFE-THREATENING FLOODING LIKELY OVER NORTHERN
BAJA CALIFORNIA AND PORTIONS OF THE SOUTHWESTERN U.S. THROUGH
MONDAY...

SUMMARY OF 500 PM PDT...0000 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...33.5N 116.7W
ABOUT 25 MI...40 KM SSW OF PALM SPRINGS CALIFORNIA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...50 MPH...85 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...N OR 350 DEGREES AT 23 MPH...37 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...997 MB...29.44 INCHES

Hilary made "landfall" in SoCal south of Palm Springs and east of San Diego at about 8 pm EDT with 50 mph winds. No real changes in the forecast, but this is still a very dangerous storm with catastrophic flooding likely (and flooding ongoing), given how water can fall very heavily over a large area and then drain downhill towards much smaller areas at great velocities and volumes.

The Hudson Valley gets that and its pretty dangerous.
Water from the highlands fly down to the river from drains (developments, parking lots etc up the hills).
When the water hits flat streets along Hudson river it blows the manhole covers off and water floods up from below.

If water gets deep enough (1.5feet - easy to do - seen it a dozen times) people walking/driving cant see the open hole. One guy fell in and was found dead in an outlet 100 yards away. Of course a car would get stuck. Be careful walking/driving in flood waters

Last edited:
Pretty good. It’s a shit load of rain that’s for sure. Been up on the roof a few times clearing water and debris. The earthquake was unnerving. Hope the rain ends soon though. Going to be big mudslides potentially if not.

The plus side is this will help with the soon to be fire season. After the rains all winter this place turned into Hawaii it was so great. Then it all dried out. Really bad potential for a horrible fire season so this will help with that hopefully. Always something.

SoCal was simply not engineered effectively for rain. We lose 90% of it and the rest flows out to the oceans ultimately.

I’ve been in the desert when it’s rained a lot less than this and saw vast amounts of runoff issues. I can’t imagine there won’t be some real problems there.

Thanks for asking.

Pretty good. It’s a shit load of rain that’s for sure. Been up on the roof a few times clearing water and debris. The earthquake was unnerving. Hope the rain ends soon though. Going to be big mudslides potentially if not.

The plus side is this will help with the soon to be fire season. After the rains all winter this place turned into Hawaii it was so great. Then it all dried out. Really bad potential for a horrible fire season so this will help with that hopefully. Always something.

Thanks for asking.
Perhaps God is telling everyone not to live in SoCal? :)

SoCal was simply not engineered effectively for rain. We lose 90% of it and the rest flows out to the oceans ultimately.

I’ve been in the desert when it’s rained a lot less than this and saw vast amounts of runoff issues. I can’t imagine there won’t be some real problems there.

Thanks for asking.
Last band that came though San Marcos was the worst rain of the day. I took a walk around 6 and it wasn’t all that bad. Wind really wasn’t a factor for most of the day.

Reactions: Knight Shift

Thanks for asking.
Glad you are OK. Rain should help wildfire season a lot. Know someone who works wildfire for Cal Fire.
Last band that came though San Marcos was the worst rain of the day. I took a walk around 6 and it wasn’t all that bad. Wind really wasn’t a factor for most of the day.
Good to hear.

Some crazy videos. The boulders and LA River just reek of continuing danger. The rain that fell will be working on the surface and underground for a while. I just wish we had more ways to collect such sudden downpours for use during droughts.

Some crazy videos. The boulders and LA River just reek of continuing danger. The rain that fell will be working on the surface and underground for a while. I just wish we had more ways to collect such sudden downpours for use during droughts.

This likely will have a positive effect on Lake Mead and Hoover Dam. Wish the benefit was more widespread as the negative impacts clearly are.

This likely will have a positive effect on Lake Mead and Hoover Dam. Wish the benefit was more widespread as the negative impacts clearly are.
Hmmm. had no thought of poor lake meade... as of yesterday this video says they have gained 18 feet... a drop in the bucket compared to 2002 levels. And I had not thought of this but the marina had to move with the water level and was swamped...

Last edited:

Thanks for asking.

Glad you’re holding up ok out there.

Not necessarily - let's see how much excess rain and how bad the flooding is before saying which is worse...
Looks like rain is the choice which it is 10 out of 10 times, having gone through both.

It’s a legitimate question. There are thousands of them living outside. Where do they go?
Correct 138, they tend to live in washes and water run off area’s
Love the virtue signaling fools who worry about language, and continue to vote for the very clowns who make the situation worse, through corruption and no action virtue signaling

Reactions: newell138
Hmmm. had no thought of poor lake meade... as of yesterday this video says they have gained 18 feet... a drop in the bucket compared to 2002 levels. And I had not thought of this but the marina had to move with the water level and was swamped...

I really don't think you want one storm to fully replenish it unless you bought some call options in Noah's Ark Corp. Bottom line is it helped.

Talk about record rainfall. Most monthly averages in SoCal are <0.05" of rain in August and daily records are mostly <0.1", so 2-5" (and more) just obliterated August rainfall records. Reports below...

https://www.latimes.com/california/...ly-rainfall-records-across-souther-california

Downtown Los Angeles on Sunday received 2.99 inches of rain, far surpassing its previous record of 0.03 inch. Los Angeles International Airport got 2.54 inches and Long Beach Airport reported 2.62 inches, compared with their previous records of “a trace” of rain, Thompson said. Burbank received 3.28 inches, compared with its previous record of .01 inch, and Palmdale reached 3.93 inches, compared with .05 inch.

The Southern California mountains also set records with an impressive 8.56 inches in Mt. Wilson, according to the weather service. Other record-breaking totals were reported in Lewis Ranch, which recorded 7.04 inches of rain; Leona Valley and Crystal Lake, both of which recorded 6.97 inches; and Mt. Baldy tallied 5.84 inches.

L.A. County coast and metro area​

• Hollywood Reservoir: 4.92 inches
  • Beverly Hills: 4.8 inches
  • Leo Carrillo: 4.39 inches
  • Bel-Air: 4.14 inches
  • Culver City: 3.65 inches
  • Santa Monica: 3.56 inches
  • Redondo Beach: 2.47 inches
  • Hawthorne: 2.24 inches

San Fernando Valley​

• Van Nuys: 4.7 inches
  • La Cañada Flintridge: 4.52 inches
  • Northridge: 4.47 inches
  • Calabasas: 3.98 inches
  • Porter Ranch: 3.96 inches
  • Agoura Hills: 3.95 inches
  • San Rafael Hills: 3.81 inches
  • Burbank: 3.56 inches
  • Canoga Park: 3.51 inches
  • Chatsworth Reservoir: 3.02 inches
  • Hansen Dam: 2.29 inches

San Gabriel Valley​

• Morris Dam: 5.76 inches
  • East Pasadena; 5.74 inches
  • Eagle Rock Reservoir: 4.7 inches
  • Sierra Madre: 4.45 inches
  • Claremont: 4.04 inches
  • La Verne: 4.01 inches
  • Alhambra: 3.6 inches
  • Whittier: 2.81 inches
  • Pasadena: 2.4 inches
  • Mt. Olive High School, Duarte: 1.96 inches

Santa Clarita Valley​

• Saugus: 6.46 inches
  • Newhall: 5.71 inches
  • Castaic Junction: 5.47 inches
  • Del Valle: 5.26 inches
  • Castaic: 4.51 inches

Talk about record rainfall. Most monthly averages in SoCal are <0.05" of rain in August and daily records are mostly <0.1", so 2-5" (and more) just obliterated August rainfall records. Reports below...

https://www.latimes.com/california/...ly-rainfall-records-across-souther-california

Downtown Los Angeles on Sunday received 2.99 inches of rain, far surpassing its previous record of 0.03 inch. Los Angeles International Airport got 2.54 inches and Long Beach Airport reported 2.62 inches, compared with their previous records of “a trace” of rain, Thompson said. Burbank received 3.28 inches, compared with its previous record of .01 inch, and Palmdale reached 3.93 inches, compared with .05 inch.

The Southern California mountains also set records with an impressive 8.56 inches in Mt. Wilson, according to the weather service. Other record-breaking totals were reported in Lewis Ranch, which recorded 7.04 inches of rain; Leona Valley and Crystal Lake, both of which recorded 6.97 inches; and Mt. Baldy tallied 5.84 inches.

L.A. County coast and metro area​

• Hollywood Reservoir: 4.92 inches
  • Beverly Hills: 4.8 inches
  • Leo Carrillo: 4.39 inches
  • Bel-Air: 4.14 inches
  • Culver City: 3.65 inches
  • Santa Monica: 3.56 inches
  • Redondo Beach: 2.47 inches
  • Hawthorne: 2.24 inches

San Fernando Valley​

• Van Nuys: 4.7 inches
  • La Cañada Flintridge: 4.52 inches
  • Northridge: 4.47 inches
  • Calabasas: 3.98 inches
  • Porter Ranch: 3.96 inches
  • Agoura Hills: 3.95 inches
  • San Rafael Hills: 3.81 inches
  • Burbank: 3.56 inches
  • Canoga Park: 3.51 inches
  • Chatsworth Reservoir: 3.02 inches
  • Hansen Dam: 2.29 inches

San Gabriel Valley​

• Morris Dam: 5.76 inches
  • East Pasadena; 5.74 inches
  • Eagle Rock Reservoir: 4.7 inches
  • Sierra Madre: 4.45 inches
  • Claremont: 4.04 inches
  • La Verne: 4.01 inches
  • Alhambra: 3.6 inches
  • Whittier: 2.81 inches
  • Pasadena: 2.4 inches
  • Mt. Olive High School, Duarte: 1.96 inches

Santa Clarita Valley​

• Saugus: 6.46 inches
  • Newhall: 5.71 inches
  • Castaic Junction: 5.47 inches
  • Del Valle: 5.26 inches
  • Castaic: 4.51 inches
Noting that the wealthier areas of Hollywood Hills and Beverly Hills having received more than the poorer areas, Gov. Newsome is exploring a rainfall redistribution property tax on those two area. 😜

I don't understand why they didn't just drop an A-bomb on Hilary before she got too close to shore. 😀🤓😀

Also, did not realize this, if accurate:Y

Pro tip: posters named "Moderate Dad" and "TruthSeeker" typically aren't the best sources - Lake Mead (and Powell) is only getting a tiny boost from Hilary. Most of Hilary's rain didn't fall on the Colorado River Valley, so Lake Mead has only gotten a small boost in water levels (0.1% from this rain). The lake stands at about 47% full right now or at 8.68MM acre-feet of water, which is a nice jump from last year's record low level of 7.02MM acre-feet (38% full), with the improvement largely due to the heavy snow season/melt-off this winter and spring. Average is 18.65MM acre-feet, so Lake Mead is still a long, long way from "normal."

https://snoflo.org/reservoir/nevada/lake-mead

GrT5UUo.png

The graphic below shows the radar estimated rainfall from Hilary, so far. Huge numbers for most of SoCal and some of Nevada and impressive numbers for the whole SW US region, given that most areas get <0.1" in August.

ytcpiPD.png

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT