ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Major Winter Storm for Philly-NJ-NYC Area (12-24" very likely) for late Sun (1/31) into Tues (2/2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally stopped snowing in Mercer County. Had to take my kid to his practice. Local roads sucked. Rt 1 and Rt 27 was fine. Our development still not plowed but thankfully have a 4 wheel drive truck

For this storm 5 days out all the models were off on 2 foot amounts
You continue to not understand the point of models outside of ~3 days - the point is to see if there is a real and synoptically reasonable evolution of the weather over 5 days that will possibly to likely lead to a significant (or more) winter storm. Anyone who is looking for the models to be "right" ~5 days out is clueless with zero understanding of the high uncertainty inherent in meteorology and numerical weather predictions that far out.

I said all of this in the first post in the thread, which was based on the model runs (Weds 7 am) 4.5 days before the start of the event. That's also why I refused to post models until we were about 3 days out (Thursday evening's runs) and even then I was hesitant - the only reason I did was that the model consensus on at least a major snowstorm for most was unusually high and the impact of such an event would be unusually large if realized.

Finally stopped snowing in Mercer County. Had to take my kid to his practice. Local roads sucked. Rt 1 and Rt 27 was fine. Our development still not plowed but thankfully have a 4 wheel drive truck
Your 4x4 can drive in a foot of snow? What are you driving?

Thought this was pretty funny...

8228C0CC-C882-41A3-8EF1-BF9B3BDA2978.jpeg.7a6a6f52e5efa217c661c804c4a8f804.jpeg

surprised it can drive through a foot of fresh snow.
Easily! It’s one of the few times this thing is actually practical. That and hauling all my kids crap around from hockey rink to hockey rink and up to Vermont for ski trips.

actually, some of these people were 110-pound weaklings who were being made fun of, and now they're trying to make up for it by making anonymous vicious attacks on others.

Definitely. And they still ooze awkward, insecure D&D nerd.

You continue to not understand the point of models outside of ~3 days - the point is to see if there is a real and synoptically reasonable evolution of the weather over 5 days that will possibly to likely lead to a significant (or more) winter storm. Anyone who is looking for the models to be "right" ~5 days out is clueless with zero understanding of the high uncertainty inherent in meteorology and numerical weather predictions that far out.

I said all of this in the first post in the thread, which was based on the model runs (Weds 7 am) 4.5 days before the start of the event. That's also why I refused to post models until we were about 3 days out (Thursday evening's runs) and even then I was hesitant - the only reason I did was that the model consensus on at least a major snowstorm for most was unusually high and the impact of such an event would be unusually large if realized.

Then why mention amounts at all

Oh and the euro at one time had this storm way east and barely anything north of 95 so lets not say how great it was

In fact models last night were giving me 5 inches for last night and today where less than an inch of new snow fell...

If we didn't get a foot plus yesterday i remember times when models spitting out 4-7 inches and not delivering would be critcized

Last edited:
Top 20 Snowstorms All Time
Central Park in NYC
(through 7 Am February 2, 2021)
Rank.Amount..Date

1……..27.5…..January 23, 2016
2……..26.9…..February 11-12, 2006
3……..25.8…..December 26-27, 1947
4……..21.0…..March 12-14, 1888
5……..20.9…..February 25-26, 2010
6……..20.2…..January 7-8, 1996
7……..20.0…..December 26-27, 2010
8……..19.8…..February 16-17, 2003
9……..19.0…..January 26-27, 2011
10…..18.1…..March 7-8, 1941
11…..18.1…..January 22-24, 1935
12…..18.0…..December 26, 1872
13…..17.7…..February 5-7, 1978
14…..17.6…..February 11-12, 1983
15…..17.5…..February 4-7, 1920
16…..17.4…..February 3-4, 1961
17....17.2...Jan 31-February 1, 2021
18…..16.0…..December 19-20, 1948
19…..16.0…..February 12-13, 1899
20…..15.3…..February 9-10, 1969
Alive for 11 of them.

Worked for 8 of them.

Reactions: Postman_1
I can't imagine an actual 3" difference less than 1 mile away (an inch or so, sure). It's very possible your clearing locations were generally higher than surrounding areas. If you want to know the gory details, when I measure, I do two things: i) I follow the "official" measuring procedures of using a snowboard and measuring on the board (better than measuring on grass, which can inflate totals) and clearing the board every 6 hours (at most) and adding up the every 6-hour measurements (and putting the board back on top of undisturbed snow nearby) and ii) I also check snow depth throughout the entire back yard to see the variability and to get a mean, as a double-check, especially any time I clear the board.

By using a snowboard and clearing it, one generally sees less compaction vs. the total snow depth measurement. For example, at midnight when I reported 16.5" that was the sum of my board measurments, although for this storm I only cleared the board after the 1 pm measurement, which is when it started sleeting, as that will usually compact snowfall underneath a bit).

At midnight, I had some large areas that were 18-20" and some other large areas that were 14-15" vs. the lion's share which were 15-17" with a mean of about 16" vs. the 16.5" I reported, showing about a 0.5" compaction, which is kind of typical. I've seen as much as 1" compaction in some storms, especially if it changes to rain/freezing rain at some point or if more sleet falls, but we only got about 1/2" of sleet (equivalent to ~1.5" of snow). Having done this for many storms, my snowboard is in the middle of the backyard, where it's typically near the mean of all the measurements.

In addition, wind makes measuring difficult, which is why for Dec-2010 I ended up going to Edgar School and walking 50 yards out into the field to try to get a "representative" measurement, as I just couldn't get that in my much smaller backyard (and got 22-23" vs. the "official" Metuchen measurement of 27" - I'm convinced that person was measuring in a "high zone" in his yard). This storm wasn't quite as windy as that one, so I think i got a decent overall measurement. As I said above, I cleared my board around 1 pm yesterday around when the sleet started, when I had 13.5". This made subsequent measurements easier, as I only was measuring what had fallen since then, after that.

I've occasionally been accused of padding snow totals, but I believe I actually am quite conservative with my approach. The one reason I sometimes have more than others, especially in smaller storms, is because I use the snowboard and clear it every 6 hours (or less frequently), which minimizes compaction and I always measure right at the end of the snow, rather than waiting hours (especially in an overnight situation), which leads to compaction, especially if sleet is involved. To illustrate the timing point, my mean snow depth was around 16" at midnight and was about 15.5" at 8 am this morning, despite 1/2" of snow falling, meaning I had about 1" compaction in those 8 hours. All of the above can often lead to an "extra" 0.5-1.0" (but it's "real" and not "extra") vs. what others report near me.

Where else can you get 5 paragraphs on the correct way to measure snow accumulation?

Reactions: rurichdog
When your colleagues come to you for weather updates, after you've told them numerous times about "these weather nerds on the Rutgers Football message forum" that do a great job breaking thing
Where else can you get 5 paragraphs on the correct way to measure snow accumulation?

When your colleagues come to you for weather updates, after you've told them numerous times about "these weather nerds on the Rutgers Football message forum" that do a great job breaking things down, you know you've ARRIVED!

Reactions: RUevolution36
You could just put the weather-thread trolls on ignore and then you can still enjoy #s enthusiasm for extreme weather science. Otherwise, you let the sophomoric trolls win, which is bad.

I've considered that. The problem is that some of those who are total jerks on weather threads are actually valuable posters on sports-related topics.

Reactions: Morrischiano
Thats where you should be getting it from

And Numbers brought up 5 day euro not me

There are no forecasts on this thread; it's just information about what the models are showing. And I take the information with a big grain of salt because I know enough about modelling to know it's not very good. (In the air quality world, a model that comes within a factor of two is considered very reliable!) The problem is that we don't understand the atmosphere very well, and we're usually missing important empirical info we need as inputs to the model. Basically, I rely on NWS and the Channel 10 news in Philadelphia. It's close enough for my purposes. And I keep in mind that, being in Cherry Hill, the predictions can be off because we're closer to the ocean that the vast majority of the Philly area, and that the prediction of the rain-snow line can be way off.

I think just about everyone understands that these threads are mostly for fun, so there' s no need for you to carp all the time. Your constant attempts to bicker make a thread like this less fun, not more fun.

Then why mention amounts at all

Oh and the euro at one time had this storm way east and barely anything north of 95 so lets not say how great it was

In fact models last night were giving me 5 inches for last night and today where less than an inch of new snow fell...

If we didn't get a foot plus yesterday i remember times when models spitting out 4-7 inches and not delivering would be critcized

Sometimes I think you just like to bust his balls for no real reason.

I mean, he posted last week that models were showing a good possibility of a major snowstorm in our area. Later in the week, he started posting models showing a potentially historic storm.

We got a major (and depending on where you live, historic) snowstorm. Period.

So what are you even debating at this point?

Nj.com is reporting that 35 inches may have fallen in Mt.Arlington.

What is not explored is that people do not live on top of each other in Mt.Arlington as do in say Hudson County.10 inches in any one of those towns is as bad as is the aforementioned 35 incher in sprawl land.

Sometimes I think you just like to bust his balls for no real reason.

I mean, he posted last week that models were showing a good possibility of a major snowstorm in our area. Later in the week, he started posting models showing a potentially historic storm.

We got a major (and depending on where you live, historic) snowstorm. Period.

So what are you even debating at this point?
He's debating over a couple of inches in a major storm. Like predicting Rutgers will win by 15, and arguing when it only turns out to be 12.

Reactions: RUChoppin
This is getting crazy. I woke up to another snowstorm this morning in Princeton. It’s like winter wonderland outside but yet Dumb and Dumber T2K and BAC probably still have you believe that this storm is a bust. CLOWNS

• Haha
Reactions: RUfinally2008
I hope all you snow lovers are happy that there is nowhere to park on the streets and travelling around is a complete hassle

Not to mention all the poor souls who may pass due to not getting their vaccines. "If only it could save 1 life".

This is getting crazy. I woke up to another snowstorm this morning in Princeton. It’s like winter wonderland outside but yet Dumb and Dumber T2K and BAC probably still have you believe that this storm is a bust. CLOWNS

Get a grip bud.... this is not a snowstorm outside this morning LOLOLOL

Not to mention all the poor souls who may pass due to not getting their vaccines. "If only it could save 1 life".
But according to your brother these roads are perfectly safe ... not even in the top 10 of storms. My sister in law is a nurse. She lives in EB and tried to get to work this morning after being off the last 2 days gets stuck on a uphill road that wasn’t plowed in East Brunswick. Now getting a tow truck to get out.

BTW... accurate snow totals are vital for snow removal pricing. Three inch discrepancy could mean a difference of charging more $$$$$. So yea if big difference in saying you got 15 and another says 12.

But according to your brother these roads are perfectly safe ... not even in the top 10 of storms. My sister in law is a nurse. She lives in EB and tried to get to work this morning after being off the last 2 days gets stuck on a uphill road that wasn’t plowed in East Brunswick. Now getting a townsite tiger out.

Yea the roads are clear but how long did it take to dig out your car and remove the giant mountain in front of your driveway????? Not to mention the places that cancelled the vaccinations.

Yea the roads are clear but how long did it take to dig out your car and remove the giant mountain in front of your driveway????? Not to mention the places that cancelled the vaccinations.
Political. Post doesn’t belong here.

BTW... accurate snow totals are vital for snow removal pricing. Three inch discrepancy could mean a difference of charging more $$$$$. So yea if big difference in saying you got 15 and another says 12.
For 2 guys that run a snow removal business, you would think you would want it to snow more not less. CLOWNS

For 2 guys that run a snow removal business, you would think you would want it to snow more not less. CLOWNS

Not saying we don't want snow. Don't want to hear folks rooting for 2 feet of snow one day and then complaining vaccines aren't being distributed. Name calling. Violation of rules.

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
But according to your brother these roads are perfectly safe ... not even in the top 10 of storms. My sister in law is a nurse. She lives in EB and tried to get to work this morning after being off the last 2 days gets stuck on a uphill road that wasn’t plowed in East Brunswick. Now getting a tow truck to get out.

Roads have been excellent in Hillsborough/Belle Mead area since 10am yeaterday. Thats truth not something some troll like you is making up. We are just speaking for our area. Bravo to the workers in Montgomery and Hillsborough for being on top of this storm. Thank you Weatherworks

Meanwhile Rock makes a good point..vaccinations and testing were cancelled

Reactions: T2Kplus20

It has to be a PITA job but nice to have the last couple days after the overall lack of snow the last couple years.

Why is it still snowing lightly for last 2 hours in Hills/Mont. Annoying they are even sanding again.

You'd be surprised. A couple years ago there was a "scandal" in the state's climatology department where Newark Airport was caught intentionally lowballing their official measurements in order to get a lower snow removal bill.

Good to see the NY/NJ Port Authority wiseguys are still looking for ways to bilk the system.

It was snowing lightly in NP this morning when I went out to walk the dog and I was like, are you kidding me? This storm is an unwelcome house guest that refuses to leave. All that aside, county/main roads were pretty good heading into work. Side roads pretty bad in my town- but that's to be expected with all the cars parked on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT