ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NCAA College Football Games Thread 10/7-10/8 Fri-Sat

There was a graphic at the beginning of the game when Stanford was leading that the lead was the first one for Stanford this season. What the heck has happened at Stanford under Shaw, and he has to be fired soon? He had such a great run until 2019.

2011Stanford11–28–1T–1st (North)L Fiesta77
2012Stanford12–28–1T–1st (North)W Rose67
2013Stanford11–37–2T–1st (North)L Rose1011
2014Stanford8–55–42nd (North)W Foster Farms
2015Stanford12–28–11st (North)W Rose33
2016Stanford10–36–33rd (North)W Sun1212
2017Stanford9–57–2T–1st (North)L Alamo1920
2018Stanford9–46–33rd (North)W Sun
2019Stanford4–83–6T–5th (North)
2020Stanford4–24–23rd (North)
2021Stanford3–92–76th (North)
2022Stanford1–40–4
Stanford:94–4964–35
You know I generally have the opinion portal, NIL etc are fine and not as bad as people think for us but I’ll say this for programs like Stanford and NW, it may be bad. I say you’ll lose players and you can get players. I don’t know how easy it is for those 2 and maybe Duke to get players and turn a roster. I think requirements could be harder to get accepted into school and bring transfers in.

Reactions: Knight Shift

Dirk Koetter bringing the old Boise magic back but this time as OC instead of HC. They fired their previous OC in season

Dirk Koetter bringing the old Boise magic back but this time as OC instead of HC. They fired their previous OC in season

Is Dirk Koetter the coach in awaiting at Auburn after they fire Harsin. Then they will fire Koetter, and he can go back to Boise State? They can make a show about it:

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F210723081050-sitcom-theme-song-quiz-12.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: rutgersguy1
Good job Coastal and JMU, although I don’t think JMU is eligible for the post season this year because of some rule about just moving up to the FBS.

Good job Coastal and JMU, although I don’t think JMU is eligible for the post season this year because of some rule about just moving up to the FBS.

Syracuse will be off that list- they play NC State this week.
Either Oklahoma State or TCU has to go of that list--they play each other this week
Same for Penn State or Michigan who play each other
USC will be tested by Utah
Tennessee will lose to Alabama

Syracuse will be off that list- they play NC State this week.
Either Oklahoma State or TCU has to go of that list--they play each other this week
Same for Penn State or Michigan who play each other
USC will be tested by Utah
Tennessee will lose to Alabama
A tweet I posted just above showed some of the potential "good on paper" matchups coming up next week. Hopefully a good number of them live up to it.

Leary might be out next week for NC State. He was hurt last night and I think posted a tweet last night that said they won the game without completing a pass the last 23 mins of the game lol. Or they completed 1 and it was from the WR to the QB haha. Think they may need more than that vs Cuse so it'll depend on if Leary can return or not.

A tweet I posted just above showed some of the potential "good on paper" matchups coming up next week. Hopefully a good number of them live up to it.

Leary might be out next week for NC State. He was hurt last night and I think posted a tweet last night that said they won the game without completing a pass the last 23 mins of the game lol. Or they completed 1 and it was from the WR to the QB haha. Think they may need more than that vs Cuse so it'll depend on if Leary can return or not.
I'm glad RU has a bye.
We scheduled a vacation because of the bye.
I need a break from all the excitement we generate on offense.
And there are some exciting games to watch this coming week.

Will be on Mountain time, and will be able to watch all day/night!!!

EDIT- NC State could use Rutgers' playbook. Pass completions are sooooo overrated.

Any thoughts on what exactly has made this year click for UCLA?

Chip Kelly's record:
2018UCLA3–93–65th (South)
2019UCLA4–84–5T–3rd (South)
2020UCLA3–43–45th (South)
2021UCLA8–46–3T–2nd (South)NC Holiday
2022UCLA6–03–0
UCLA:24–2519–18

Their QB (a senior) has been with UCLA since Kelly's first year, 2018.
Rough first year. Nice statistical year in 2019, but did not translate to wins. Let's skip 2020, covid year.
2021, RB Zach Charbonnet transferred in from Michigan, where he only got 19 carries the previous year. Seemed to be a win-win for Michigan and UCLA, which is nice (I suppose).

Thompson-Robinson had a nice year in 2021, and he seems to have elevated his game this year. UCLA hit the transfer portal hard, and the football program tweeted about it, but Kelly called that a mistake.

One other thing. Their OL/OC left to become the OL coach at Ohio State at the end of 2021, and now Kelly is the OC again (maybe that never changed).

There was a graphic at the beginning of the game when Stanford was leading that the lead was the first one for Stanford this season. What the heck has happened at Stanford under Shaw, and he has to be fired soon? He had such a great run until 2019.

2011Stanford11–28–1T–1st (North)L Fiesta77
2012Stanford12–28–1T–1st (North)W Rose67
2013Stanford11–37–2T–1st (North)L Rose1011
2014Stanford8–55–42nd (North)W Foster Farms
2015Stanford12–28–11st (North)W Rose33
2016Stanford10–36–33rd (North)W Sun1212
2017Stanford9–57–2T–1st (North)L Alamo1920
2018Stanford9–46–33rd (North)W Sun
2019Stanford4–83–6T–5th (North)
2020Stanford4–24–23rd (North)
2021Stanford3–92–76th (North)
2022Stanford1–40–4
Stanford:94–4964–35
I’ve watched a few of Stanford games this year. This is a different Coach Shaw. He seems very disinterested and has made some very questionable coaching moves. It’s almost like he wants out.

Any thoughts on what exactly has made this year click for UCLA?

Chip Kelly's record:
2018UCLA3–93–65th (South)
2019UCLA4–84–5T–3rd (South)
2020UCLA3–43–45th (South)
2021UCLA8–46–3T–2nd (South)NC Holiday
2022UCLA6–03–0
UCLA:24–2519–18

Their QB (a senior) has been with UCLA since Kelly's first year, 2018.
Rough first year. Nice statistical year in 2019, but did not translate to wins. Let's skip 2020, covid year.
2021, RB Zach Charbonnet transferred in from Michigan, where he only got 19 carries the previous year. Seemed to be a win-win for Michigan and UCLA, which is nice (I suppose).

Thompson-Robinson had a nice year in 2021, and he seems to have elevated his game this year. UCLA hit the transfer portal hard, and the football program tweeted about it, but Kelly called that a mistake.

One other thing. Their OL/OC left to become the OL coach at Ohio State at the end of 2021, and now Kelly is the OC again (maybe that never changed).

I don't play close enough attention to them but DTR has taken it to another level this year in the games I've seen. He looks real good throwing and running when necessary. Their total offense/scoring offense is top 10 this year. I think they got a new DC this year (Bill McGovern) as well and I think their defense has improved. Like I say strong offense and at least mediocre defense and you have chance to make noise. McGovern has improved their D beyond what Kelly's buddy Azzinaro did. I think they're top 30-40 in some categories vs 70s prior to him. They're physical too, this isn't some "wimpy" team the way they play. It's not like Kelly's Oregon teams. Utah under Whittingham is a tough physical team and UCLA matched them if not bettered them in that category yesterday.

I don't play close enough attention to them but DTR has taken it to another level this year in the games I've seen. He looks real good throwing and running when necessary. Their total offense/scoring offense is top 10 this year. I think they got a new DC this year (Bill McGovern) as well and I think their defense has improved. Like I say strong offense and at least mediocre defense and you have chance to make noise. McGovern has improved their D beyond what Kelly's buddy Azzinaro did. I think they're top 30-40 in some categories vs 70s prior to him. They're physical too, this isn't some "wimpy" team the way they play. It's not like Kelly's Oregon teams. Utah under Whittingham is a tough physical team and UCLA matched them if not bettered them in that category yesterday.

Bill McGovern- not a name I'm familiar with-didn't he run for President once? 🥴
Jersey guy--Oradell!!!! Maybe did not know his name, because he was in the NFL from 2013-21, guess he headed to NFL after BC's coach Spaziani was fired and became the DC at New Mexico state--another Jersey guy.

My Illinois defense stats above are a bit off, I think. I may have reversed the score against Iowa, not that it will matter a huge amount over 6 games. But Bielema has done a nice job this year. Their schedule could be perceived as a little soft (Wisconsin, Iowa, Indiana-they lost), and they have Minnesota, Nebraska (juggernaut!!!), Michigan State (losers!!!), Purdue (question mark), Michigan (tough one) and Northwestern remaining.

It will be interesting to see how they finish.

One more thing on Chip Kelly. He was definitely on the hot seat after starting out 10-21 his first 3 years.

But this seems familiar, and maybe a lesson that with the maturation of talent and transfers, things can turn around dramatically:

"The coach had presumably been on the hot seat the past two seasons, but a COVID-19-shortened 2020 campaign, an 8-4 record in 2021 and UCLA accumulating $100 million of debt over the past few years stood out as reasons for the Bruins to retain Kelly despite his 18-25 record overall. It would have cost the university $9 million to fire Kelly earlier this offseason, but it decided to welcome him back on the new, reworked deal instead."

While the season has been frustrating for RU fans, it is absurd to even think about firing a head coach in his 3rd year, especially at Rutgers.

One more thing on Chip Kelly. He was definitely on the hot seat after starting out 10-21 his first 3 years.

But this seems familiar, and maybe a lesson that with the maturation of talent and transfers, things can turn around dramatically:

"The coach had presumably been on the hot seat the past two seasons, but a COVID-19-shortened 2020 campaign, an 8-4 record in 2021 and UCLA accumulating $100 million of debt over the past few years stood out as reasons for the Bruins to retain Kelly despite his 18-25 record overall. It would have cost the university $9 million to fire Kelly earlier this offseason, but it decided to welcome him back on the new, reworked deal instead."

While the season has been frustrating for RU fans, it is absurd to even think about firing a head coach in his 3rd year, especially at Rutgers.

Year 4 is a critical one. Clawson solidified that .500ish overall and in conference record in year 3 at WF. Stoops did it in year 4 at UK. Leach made it in year 2 but solidified it in year 4 at WSU. Looks like he might have struck it in year 2 at Miss St given last year and now this year his 3rd. Jonathan Smith at Oregon State hard to say yet but he got that last year in year 4 and this year might be another .500ish year in year 5. He's 4-2 currently.

I think Leipold will hit .500 this year but can't say much about consistency and might not get a chance to find out if he skips town. I'm hoping he stays so we can see but I think it's unlikely.

Not sure GS would get fired even if he doesn't make that .500ish level next year but it would likely be a harbinger of what's to come. You want consistency and these other coaches struck .500ish consistency by year 4 or earlier at their lower status programs.

Last edited:
Year 4 is a critical one. Clawson solidified that .500ish overall and in conference record in year 3 at WF. Stoops did it in year 4 at UK. Leach made it in year 2 but solidified it in year 4 at WSU. Looks like he might have struck it in year 2 at Miss St given last year and now this year his 3rd. Jonathan Smith at Oregon State hard to say yet but he got that last year in year 4 and this year might be another .500ish year in year 5. He's 4-2 currently.

I think Leipold will hit .500 this year but can't say much about consistency and might not get a chance to find out if he skips town. I'm hoping he stays so we can see but I think it's unlikely.

Not sure GS would get fired even if he doesn't make that .500ish level next year but it would likely be a harbinger of what's to come. You want consistency and these other coaches struck .500ish consistency by year 4 or earlier at their lower status programs.
While he's from Wisconsin, don't see Leipold going to Wisconsin. You may have been the one who posted it, but didn't Leipold tweet something about it being not good form to fire a coach averaging more than 9 wins per year after Chryst was fired?

Also don't see him jumping to Nebraska. He has to be seen as a hero/savior at Kansas, and he may be best served to stay put, as he probably has a really long leash there. He does not seem to be a guy like Mel Tucker who would jump at the first job that pays more money. It may be hard to fathom for some, but I always advise my two kids (one a senior computer science major with a hot job market) to never take a job for the money as the sole consideration. Sometimes the best job pays less in terms of stability, being valued, job flexibility and other factors--for football coaches, non-pyschotic fanbases (see Wisconsin and Nebraska). What do I know though--Leipold will probably be at Nebraska next year.

Helmet sticker worthy day for him.

See? Buffalo doing MUCH better since Leipold left!!!! 😜

My man Jason Candle, who was on my hot list (no pun intended) to be considered for the Rutgers job. But another example of a guy who started hot, cooled and went down/sideways. Maybe Candle is hot again?

2015Toledo1–00–0T–1stW Boca Raton*
2016Toledo9–46–22nd (West)L Camellia
2017Toledo11–37–11st (West)L Dollar General
2018Toledo7–65–3T–2nd (West)L Bahamas
2019Toledo6–63–5T–5th (West)
2020Toledo4–24–2T–2nd (West)
2021Toledo7–65–33rd (West)L Bahamas
2022Toledo4–22–0
Toledo:49–2932–16* Promoted to HC for 2015 bowl game

See? Buffalo doing MUCH better since Leipold left!!!! 😜

My man Jason Candle, who was on my hot list (no pun intended) to be considered for the Rutgers job. But another example of a guy who started hot, cooled and went down/sideways. Maybe Candle is hot again?

2015Toledo1–00–0T–1stW Boca Raton*
2016Toledo9–46–22nd (West)L Camellia
2017Toledo11–37–11st (West)L Dollar General
2018Toledo7–65–3T–2nd (West)L Bahamas
2019Toledo6–63–5T–5th (West)
2020Toledo4–24–2T–2nd (West)
2021Toledo7–65–33rd (West)L Bahamas
2022Toledo4–22–0
Toledo:49–2932–16* Promoted to HC for 2015 bowl game
Well he's never been below .500 overall in a season and just one season below .500 in conference so far. There's something to be said for that. Every year can't be an awesome one and I don't know how Toledo compares to other MAC programs. His record so far actually reminds me of Gary Pinkel, another Toledo coach who was a solid coach for Mizzou when he stepped up.

Campbell is another one whose star was once bright but now maybe dimming because of the way the season has gone 3-3 and 0-3 in conference. He got ISU to a consistent .500ish overall and in conference in year 2 and this year maybe a little slip back but we'll see. He's still a good coach imo because that's no easy to do at ISU.

Last edited:
Well he's never been below .500 overall in a season and just one season below .500 in conference so far. There's something to be said for that. Every year can't be an awesome one and I don't know how Toledo compares to other MAC programs. His record so far actually reminds me of Gary Pinkel, another Toledo coach who was a solid coach for Mizzou when he stepped up.
You continuously impress with your deep knowledge of coaches. Gary Pinkel- a name I'm not familiar with. But looked at his Mizzou record. 4-7 an 4-7 is first 2 years, then 8-5 and then 5-6, all while in the lowly Big 12!!

It took him from 2001 to 2007 before he had a huge breakthrough season , but then fell to 5th in the conference in 2011. A solid 2 years in 2013 and 2014 after Mizzou made the leap to the SEC. He retired in 2015, to deal with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, something I am well familiar with. But he's still alive, and good for him.

You continuously impress with your deep knowledge of coaches. Gary Pinkel- a name I'm not familiar with. But looked at his Mizzou record. 4-7 an 4-7 is first 2 years, then 8-5 and then 5-6, all while in the lowly Big 12!!

It took him from 2001 to 2007 before he had a huge breakthrough season , but then fell to 5th in the conference in 2011. A solid 2 years in 2013 and 2014 after Mizzou made the leap to the SEC. He retired in 2015, to deal with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, something I am well familiar with. But he's still alive, and good for him.
Well Google is your friend lol, I have vague memories of who has done what and then quick lookup to verify haha.

Leipold will hit .500 this year ? He is already at 5 wins. Will go way past .500 in year 2 .

Leipold will hit .500 this year ? He is already at 5 wins. Will go way past .500 in year 2 .
I'm aware of how many wins he has. You'd think he'd go a bit beyond 6 wins being at 5-1 now but you never know how seasons go and if Daniels can return this year or not might have an effect. So I very conservatively say .500. If more than that then good for them. I've said in other threads 6-8 wins.

He has much tougher sledding the rest of the season (and he was 2-10 last year), especially if his #1 QB is out injured. But remember, at Rutgers, that is no excuse for losing, nor will it be for Leipold and Kansas. This is why guys like me don't get all giddy at short term trends (see Babers at Syracuse or Mel Tucker at Michigan) when viewing other coaches, nor do I get despondent over the record of our current coach. Truth be told, there are concerning aspects of the performance of Rutgers this year, but there is still time to address/fix them. If the silly penalties/false starts and the offense with the constant substitutions with no production continues, I will smash my scarlet glasses.

How could you not know who Gary Pinkel is? He almost became RU’s head coach after Terry Shea. He was on Mulcahy’s short list along with Greg Schiano. I remember a lot of fans lobbying for the former, but of course zzRU opted for Schiano.
Are you that young or just a short memory?

How could you not know who Gary Pinkel is? He almost became RU’s head coach after Terry Shea. He was on Mulcahy’s short list along with Greg Schiano. I remember a lot of fans lobbying for the former, but of course zzRU opted for Schiano.
He was on the list

Not that young, but was kind of out of it during the Shea/Graber years for a variety of reasons.

Good for JMU and I like seeing the names from 13-19, not your usual suspects, Illinois at 24 too

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT