ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2020 season

Any of you guys watching this game against St. Louis? Your guys look sharp this early out of the gate. They interviewed Familia in the bullpen. Talked about last year's struggles and all the work he's done in the offseason. Time will tell but the guy's head is certainly in a great place and he's confident. Didn't see a lot of Mets games last year, was it command issues that he had? Sounded that way based on the offseason work he was talking about.

Also had to laugh, the guys were talking about the Astros and Keith Hernandez said much the same thing Zap told us. The catcher must have heard the banging and should have told the batter if it kept on someone was going to get hurt.

Spring training baseball, especially early spring training baseball, is funny. Not ha-ha funny, weird funny.

Mets have 63 players in their major league camp. SIXTY-THREE! You would think that would be more than enough to field a team, or even two teams for split squad games. You would be wrong. Apparently they need over 70, because they bring in guys from minor league camp. These guys keep their minor league numbers, resulting in the use of duplicate numbers, as in college football.

In yesterday's game the Mets had some dude wearing #20 playing first base. I thought "You're not Pete Alonso!" He wasn't.

If Cespedes really does come back strong and if Lowrie is back to his pre 19 form, I have a hard time finding a hole in the Met's lineup and their bench is one of the best out there. Only 2 non pitching concerns for me are fielding and backup C. Even Cano at 2B doesn't bother me that much if I take $$$ out of the mix. I sort of expect him to be somewhere between his first half and 2nd half of the season and be pretty steady for us. But I really like the possibility of our OF having a .400 OBP CF with pop and two corner guys that will most likely be 30+ HR and 90+ rbi and an infield of Alonso, Cano, McNeil, Rosario . And honestly, I don't see many lineups in the NL that are as strong from top to bottom. I really don't see a single easy spot to pitch at. Add in that we may have the best hitting Pitchers as well. With pitching- I feel great about deGrom, feel good about Noah, have strong hopes for Stroman and holding some hope that 2 out of 3 of our other guys can hold their own at the 4 and 5 spots.
For some strange reason, I also feel our BP becomes top half in the NL this year as well instead of dead last in MLB...
If healthy, I see 90+ wins and always a chance for that special season. I think almost as good of a chance for 100+ as there is for under 90

Reactions: Stem
I like your optimism Yes!!!
It is better than most years when we hope we have at least one guy with 25 HR and maybe 2 over a .250 avg lol
We actually have a legit strong lineup from top to bottom and a real bench...guys that could start elsewhere

Reactions: Zak57
JD Davis going for MRI on shoulder. Hurt Diving for a ball. Why do you do this in a spring training game? Come on. Wise up. Hope he’s ok.

JD Davis going for MRI on shoulder. Hurt Diving for a ball. Why do you do this in a spring training game? Come on. Wise up. Hope he’s ok.
Hopefully it is ok- he is a big part of this club. Between 3B/OF/bench- I figure they try to get him 300+ AB’s even if Cespedes is healthy and 400+ if not.

Because hes trying to do the little things to earn a starting spot with the new manager so he wont get traded for a 36 year old. Remember BVW unnecessarily traded for Cano despite having McNeil at second.

Because hes trying to do the little things to earn a starting spot with the new manager so he wont get traded for a 36 year old. Remember BVW unnecessarily traded for Cano despite having McNeil at second.
I do have to be fair a little to BVW on this one...The previous regime also seemed to not believe in McNeil...And the brilliant BVW did not trade for Cano, he just took him and his contract on as a little extra cement on the Diaz trade...lol
On the other hand, I will let this season play out before making a true judgement on BVW...Year's 2 and 3 tell you a lot more than year 1.

Reactions: tico brown
Year 2 and 3 better get better because I don't think I've ever seen such a huge disaster of a year 1 before.

Oh by the way Kelenic is a consensus top 10 prospect and will probably get time in Seattle later this year a full year early. Man he's the CF we actually need right now. Also it was always a Cano trade to sell to the fan base. The narrative somehow switched on that even though they were both horrific last year.

You're right the previous regime should have called up McNeil earlier but at least they didn't try and trade him!

Ok enough of the pessimism back to being optimistic now. Wacha FB played up a little but yesterday so maybe he can piece it back together this year.

If everyone is healthy come opening day who are the realistic starters at every position? It looks it would probably be:

C Ramos
1B Alonso
2B Cano
SS Rosario
3B McNeil
LF Cespedes
CF Nimmo
RF Conforto

Is that pretty much what everyone is thinking? That’s a great lineup with a nice L/R balance as well.

If everyone is healthy come opening day who are the realistic starters at every position? It looks it would probably be:

C Ramos
1B Alonso
2B Cano
SS Rosario
3B McNeil
LF Cespedes
CF Nimmo
RF Conforto

Is that pretty much what everyone is thinking? That’s a great lineup with a nice L/R balance as well.
Add in a bench that starts with D Smith, JD Davis, Lowrie….there isn't much to complain about on this side of the ball. Even if Cano is only 260 12 HR 60 RBI...he would most likely be the worst bat in this lineup.

Seems like yesterday when Yankee fans were mocking on the Mets training staff and upper management for all the player injuries. These things run in cycles, and only the ignorant can gloat when your team is relatively healthy. The only way the Mets stand a chance in clearly the best division in baseball is to stay healthy. No way they have the depth otherwise.

Seems like yesterday when Yankee fans were mocking on the Mets training staff and upper management for all the player injuries. These things run in cycles, and only the ignorant can gloat when your team is relatively healthy. The only way the Mets stand a chance in clearly the best division in baseball is to stay healthy. No way they have the depth otherwise.
Wow... I remember a couple of years ago when they were bragging that every Mets player hit the DL in the NL Least. Now its cricketts when its the Yankees goes through the same thing in the now AL Least.

In the NL East- tough division but in a closer look at let's say the phillies, beside Catcher, I am trying to find any other position I would trade our starter for theirs. I'll give them 2B but only because of $$$
Braves have some big time players but a serious drop off after their top 5 guys
Nats have a very serious top of lineup but also drop off but their starting pitching is insane.
I see all 4 teams as very good but can't make an argument for any of the 4 being so much better than the others. Should be one hell of a fun year

Diaz looked ok yesterday. I know its spring but he did not appear to have velocity on the fastball. I am hoping they are working on him being able to change speeds a little bit. It looked like the last two batters were out in front of the out pitches. If he can throw the fastball at different speeds to go along with the slider he could be unhittable again this year.

For some very strange reason, they still think their the "entitled" and it's the 50's-60's when there wasn't split divisions and wild cards and only 16 total teams in baseball,lol.
Might as well mention Joe DiMaggio and Babe Ruth in the same breath as Abraham Lincoln and George Washington.

For some very strange reason, they still think their the "entitled" and it's the 50's-60's when there wasn't split divisions and wild cards and only 16 total teams in baseball,lol.
I give them good runs in the 70’s and 90’s too.
Yankees do have a great history and tons of championships but let’s be real, they have been =|< relevant compared to the Mets since 2010...

You really need to check any list of most popular and/or most valuable sports teams and check out where the Yankees are on said list.
Then check out where the Mets are ranked. Allow yourself some time when checking for the Mets.
It's good to be the king.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT