ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official Mets Hot Stove Talk

But just missing those type of players that will take an extra base, be a pain in the ass to a pitcher, get dirty and just make good baseball plays.
Except for the take an extra base part, you have described Todd Frazier.

What does it mean to "be a pain in the ass to a pitcher"? I can only assume it means someone who can work deep counts and not get himself out early in the count. Todd Frazier to a T.

Nunez - .313 BA 12 HR 58 RBI 24 SB 146 hits 33 2b 54 K
Frazier -.213 BA 27 HR 76 RBI 4 SB 101 hits 19 2b 125k
Whose offensive production would you rather have?
Is that a rhetorical question? It should not be as the answer is not at all obvious. Remember Nunez had a career year last year and it would be overly optimistic to expect a repeat.

Compare their 2018 projected Slash Lines from Baseball Reference:
Nunez: .288/.331/.444
Frazier: .230/.319/.462

Nunez has better speed, Frazier has the better glove. He gives the Mets a power bat at a power position.

Is that a rhetorical question? It should not be as the answer is not at all obvious. Remember Nunez had a career year last year and it would be overly optimistic to expect a repeat.

Compare their 2018 projected Slash Lines from Baseball Reference:
Nunez: .288/.331/.444
Frazier: .230/.319/.462

Nunez has better speed, Frazier has the better glove. He gives the Mets a power bat at a power position.
Frazier had 46 x base hits. Nunez 45. Nunez struck out 75 times less than Frazier. TF is a good glove but he is not Brooks Robinson. I am just tired of the Mets station to station offense and guys who strike out 125 times a year. Offensively TF reminds me of a right handed Lucas Duda. Am I happy we signed him? Yes as he is an improvement over Reyes/AC at 3rd. I liked Nunez b/c he is a different type of player and can lead off. Of course we could have signed the KC 3B and made everyone happy but this is the Wilpons after all.

Sorry to see a RU alum have to go to the bottom feeding Mets after being shown no interest from the Yanks.

He's a good guy and hope he has a good season.
Bottom feeding,really? According to Vegas, they are 8th best to win the WS. Hardly a bottom feeder, but that's OK. I too,use dislike for a particular team and it's fans to make rash, stupid statements,lmao. In keeping with that theme,pitchers and catchers report today for the Amazins, beginning a journey that will result in getting back to the post season.The Yankees will under perform based solely on my same as you,rash, stupid, statement based on dislike towards the fan base and Yankees. Lol, there I said it, let the games begin. LGM

With the Met's...I actually like having Bruce and Todd on this team...What I don't like is that both have to be centerpiece type of players.
What I don't like as a fan with this team is that they just don't play the type of baseball I like and what I think wins. There is a good chance that if Comforto is healthy, we could have 4 guys hit more HR's individually then our entire team steals in bases. And even the guys that may hit .260 with minimal power, who are the guys that just do everything else right?
I think this team is battling for the WC this year. If 3 of the starters stay healthy, they may actually be very good. But damn, ownership and Sandy drive me nuts.

With the Met's...I actually like having Bruce and Todd on this team...What I don't like is that both have to be centerpiece type of players.
What I don't like as a fan with this team is that they just don't play the type of baseball I like and what I think wins. There is a good chance that if Comforto is healthy, we could have 4 guys hit more HR's individually then our entire team steals in bases. And even the guys that may hit .260 with minimal power, who are the guys that just do everything else right?
I think this team is battling for the WC this year. If 3 of the starters stay healthy, they may actually be very good. But damn, ownership and Sandy drive me nuts.
I agree,playing for the 3 run homer is not designed to have long winning streaks. Too many lost scoring chances and LOB because of way to many K's in this type of lineup.With that said,I still see a post season for the Mets!!!!

I agree,playing for the 3 run homer is not designed to have long winning streaks. Too many lost scoring chances and LOB because of way to many K's in this type of lineup.With that said,I still see a post season for the Mets!!!!

Agree on all points...another thing it causes is that our starting pitchers leave so many wins on the table. If I am one of these guys, I leave as fast as I can. Pitching with an early lead that we manufactured with long AB's and driving the opposing pitcher crazy on pitch counts and on the bases, is so much easier than pitching with the hopes that we can hit a HR or knowing that we are not a team that can crawl back into a game. That is a lot of wear and tear

Just heard the Yankees are copying the Mets, and going with a 3 man broadcasting team this season. I'm thinking it will be a major improvement over the past they've used. Mets broadcast teams over the years have had, and still do many that move on to National broadcast jobs. At least that's one thing the Mets do better than the Evil Empire. I don't think there's even a debate about that.
howdydoody2.jpg

Just heard the Yankees are copying the Mets, and going with a 3 man broadcasting team this season. I'm thinking it will be a major improvement over the past they've used. Mets broadcast teams over the years have had, and still do many that move on to National broadcast jobs. At least that's one thing the Mets do better than the Evil Empire. I don't think there's even a debate about that.
howdydoody2.jpg

Always amazing (pun intended) that this is so true...The Met's have always had one of the better broadcasting teams in all of sports...

Nunez - .313 BA 12 HR 58 RBI 24 SB 146 hits 33 2b 54 K
Frazier -.213 BA 27 HR 76 RBI 4 SB 101 hits 19 2b 125k
Whose offensive production would you rather have?
Nunez can't hold a candle to Frazier as far as locker room presence, experience, and making guys around him better. Give me Frazier any day of the week.

Reactions: RuBird
The marketplace obviously agrees. The best Nunez could do was 1 year at $4 mill. Not that that's chump change...
Compared to what Todd got it is. And Todd supposedly settled on a highly discounted deal to stay home. Most projected him as a 3 year deal.

So I'm pretty sure most mlb teams would've rather had Frazier.

Nunez can't hold a candle to Frazier as far as locker room presence, experience, and making guys around him better. Give me Frazier any day of the week.
Yes, the Reds, White Sox and Yanks won all those championships because of Todd in the locker room. I tremble to think where the 2016 White Sox would have finished without Todd. Look as a Met fan I hope to be proven wrong but we have plenty of guys who can strike out 125 or more times in a season. Can we just add one player who brings something different on the field to the table.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Yes, the Reds, White Sox and Yanks won all those championships because of Todd in the locker room. I tremble to think where the 2016 White Sox would have finished without Todd. Look as a Met fan I hope to be proven wrong but we have plenty of guys who can strike out 125 or more times in a season. Can we just add one player who brings something different on the field to the table.
Oh I'm sorry I didn't realize guys weren't good players if they were on teams that didn't win it all. He did not help the young yanks at all last year to outperforming expectations. I bow to your vast baseball knowledge and understanding of the game.

Oh I'm sorry I didn't realize guys weren't good players if they were on teams that didn't win it all. He did not help the young yanks at all last year to outperforming expectations. I bow to your vast baseball knowledge and understanding of the game.
What did he win in Cinncy? Or Chicago? How did his intangibles help those teams? Are you suggesting the Yanks only got to the ALCS because of him? A .222 BA with 11 hrs and 32 RBI's is what got the Yanks to the post season? So yes, you should bow to my knowledge and understanding of the game as you have so little of it yourself.

And by the way, I am not suggesting TF is not a good player or a good guy. I am saying the Mets needed a different type of player in the lineup. Thanks again for missing the point.

What did he win in Cinncy? Or Chicago? How did his intangibles help those teams? Are you suggesting the Yanks only got to the ALCS because of him? A .222 BA with 11 hrs and 32 RBI's is what got the Yanks to the post season? So yes, you should bow to my knowledge and understanding of the game as you have so little of it yourself.

And by the way, I am not suggesting TF is not a good player or a good guy. I am saying the Mets needed a different type of player in the lineup. Thanks again for missing the point.
TF's batting average trended down after the 2015 season, but he still hit 40 home runs, and 35 the year before that, and 29 the year before that. And in 2017, he hit 27 home runs and had 76 RBIs. That's an upgrade over Jose Reyes.
Nunez' stats were mixed/ho-hum prior to 2016.

I would have liked to have seen the Mets acquire more speed too, but not sure Nunez was the answer. I don't know why the Mets went for Frazier over Moustakas though. Was it money?

TF's batting average trended down after the 2015 season, but he still hit 40 home runs, and 35 the year before that, and 29 the year before that. And in 2017, he hit 27 home runs and had 76 RBIs. That's an upgrade over Jose Reyes.
Nunez' stats were mixed/ho-hum prior to 2016.

I would have liked to have seen the Mets acquire more speed too, but not sure Nunez was the answer. I don't know why the Mets went for Frazier over Moustakas though. Was it money?

My fear with Moustakas is that he is going to get paid on an outliner type of year...38 HR's is so far above his norm. Nunez, seems to be pretty good but 10ish HR's and 20 SB's is not what I want at a corner.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Moustakis at 3B and Lorenzo Cain in center would have been my top FA choices for the Mets. Cain has speed and can lead off and MM gives you a power bat. I do not expect 38 HR's from him again but 25 - 30 is not unreasonable. The Mets were never going to pay for those guys. Which hypothetical lineup would you prefer:
1. Cain CF
2. AC - 2B
3. Conforto - RF
4. Cespedes LF
5. MM -3B
6. Gonzalez/Smith/Flores - 1B
7. D'Arnuad - C
8. Rosario - SS

vs.

1. Conforto - CF
2. AC - 2b
3. Cespedes - LF
4. Bruce - RF
5. Frazier - 3B
6. Gonzalez/Smith/Flores 1B
7. Darnaud - C
8. Rosario - SS

Moustakis at 3B and Lorenzo Cain in center would have been my top FA choices for the Mets. Cain has speed and can lead off and MM gives you a power bat. I do not expect 38 HR's from him again but 25 - 30 is not unreasonable. The Mets were never going to pay for those guys. Which hypothetical lineup would you prefer:
1. Cain CF
2. AC - 2B
3. Conforto - RF
4. Cespedes LF
5. MM -3B
6. Gonzalez/Smith/Flores - 1B
7. D'Arnuad - C
8. Rosario - SS

vs.

1. Conforto - CF
2. AC - 2b
3. Cespedes - LF
4. Bruce - RF
5. Frazier - 3B
6. Gonzalez/Smith/Flores 1B
7. Darnaud - C
8. Rosario - SS

Not a lot of speed in that second lineup, for sure.

Moose and Cain were my top 2 choices as well (never considered them a player for Hosmer).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT