ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees-INDUCTEES ANNOUNCED

Never heard this german band's song "the Autobahn"?
"Fun, fun, fun alf da autobahn"
great late night song from back in the day IF you were in the RIGHT state of mind.. :sunglasses:

Yah.... Autobahn by Kvaft-vook.
"Now is ze time on Sprockets vhen ve dance!"

thFV5.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: AntiG
Cut it back from 5 bands to 3 bands per year, if there are three bands worth getting in, it's getting way too diluted...
I've been to the RnR HOF three times, a great experience, you can spend an ENTIRE day in there. Cleveland is a good weekend getaway city, combined with the Flats, and also go to the Great Lakes Brewery, one of the top craft breweries in the U.S.

Styx in the HoF ..??[roll]

its sort of like MTV....remember when they just mainly played rock, pop, new wave...well that wasnt considered inclusive and they got hammered to the point where rock videos stopped being played altogether...so the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is just like that, it cannot be just about rock its got to become all pop culture so expect more hip hop and rap in the next two decades

its sort of like MTV....remember when they just mainly played rock, pop, new wave...well that wasnt considered inclusive and they got hammered to the point where rock videos stopped being played altogether...so the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is just like that, it cannot be just about rock its got to become all pop culture so expect more hip hop and rap in the next two decades

Expect me and other people like me who appreciate actual music to give even less of a $h!t.

Maybe they can arrange a merger with the doo wop hall of fame...

Not the greatest mix of bands ("Yes" was as bad as any concert Ive seen) but:

1) Pearl Jam-great writers and live. Maybe bonus points to Eddie Vedder for his activism
2) TUPAC-considered THE best or one of the best rappers ever
3) Joan Baez-don't know much of her work- but for combining music and activism

To me quality drops after these 3
4) ELO-maybe for their use of electronica in music (then again The Cars similar-have feedback not so good in concert)
5) Journey/JGeils-music quality

Thought I heard somewhere Bon Jovi was on the list. Also might need to review Janet Jackson-she an Madonna are considered pioneers in integrating dance w music.

5 for 5 of the bands I gave! A bit surprised I didn't put "The Cars". The reason why I didn't put "Yes" (not all that familiar with their music) is that they were perhaps the most boring concert ever saw. I also heard "The Cars" were terrible stage performers. Maybe I'm too spoiled from 70+ Bruce shows!

5 for 5 of the bands I gave! A bit surprised I didn't put "The Cars". The reason why I didn't put "Yes" (not all that familiar with their music) is that they were perhaps the most boring concert ever saw. I also heard "The Cars" were terrible stage performers. Maybe I'm too spoiled from 70+ Bruce shows!

Yes is the only band that I had to walk out on.
The lead singer's castrato was just too much for me.

I must be missing something.
Who exactly is Tupac...and what does this person have to do with Rock and Roll ?

I will try and make this as easy as possible to understand. Hip Hop can easily be traced bak to the roots of Rock and Roll and Rhythm and Blues. Hip Hop has its place in the Rock and Roll hall of fame just as Diana Ross and the Supremes or any other Detroit Motown Based artist does.

Considering the Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5 got in in 2007 and they were considered the founding group of South Bronx Hip Hop then the artist they influenced certainly should also be inducted.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I will try and make this as easy as possible to understand. Hip Hop can easily be traced bak to the roots of Rock and Roll and Rhythm and Blues. Hip Hop has its place in the Rock and Roll hall of fame just as Diana Ross and the Supremes or any other Detroit Motown Based artist does.

Just my opinion.

The Supremes definitely do not belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
That's POP MUSIC. They neither rocked nor rolled.
Whether or not a type of music can "easily be traced" back to the roots of Rock and Roll doesn't make it Rock and Roll. Maybe a relative of Rock and Roll....but NOT Rock and Roll.
Did I make that easy enough for you ?

Whether or not a type of music can "easily be traced" back to the roots of Rock and Roll doesn't make it Rock and Roll. Maybe a relative of Rock and Roll....but NOT Rock and Roll.

Do you consider Stevie Wonder, Otis Redding The Drifters, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Ray Charles, James Brown or Sam Cook, The Coasters, BB. King, Muddy Water, Smokey Robinson or the Temptation Rock and Roll Music?

They were all , including the Supremes considered R&B acts, and R&B is a natural and Major influence to modern day Hip Hop and Rap Music. All of the artists I listed above, including the Supremes, were inaugural inductees of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and saying an act like Tupac for NWA who were greatly influenced by these acts should not be in is slapping these Founding members in the face.

Do you consider Stevie Wonder , Otis Redding The Drifters, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Ray Charles, James Brown or Sam Cook, The Coasters, BB. King, Muddy Water, Smokey Robinson or the Temptation Rock and Roll Music?

They were all , including the Supremes considered R&B acts, and R&B is a natural and Major influence to modern day Hip Hop and Rap Music. All of the artists I listed above, including the Supremes, were inaugural inductees of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and saying an act like Tupac for NWA who were greatly influenced by these acts should not be in is slapping these Founding members in the face.

So you're saying that, because these artists all were inaugural inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, any acts that were "greatly influenced" by them should qualify as well ?
Just a head's up, but I recently heard members of the country act Lady Antebellum describe how greatly influenced they were by the work of Stevie Nicks. So we're slapping Stevie in the face if we don't consider Lady Antebellum for admission to the Hall ? That makes zero sense. As does the idea that Tupac belongs in the Hall because of who his "influences" were.
Listen, let's just agree that it's misnamed and should be called the Popular Music Hall of Fame.
It's getting more ridiculous with each new group of inductees. I know I'm gonna throw up when Boys To Men get inducted. And yes....they'll probably trace their roots back to the Four Seasons...who NEVER rocked.

Reactions: RU-AGK
So you're saying that, because these artists all were inaugural inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, any acts that were "greatly influenced" by them should qualify as well ?
Just a head's up, but I recently heard members of the country act Lady Antebellum describe how greatly influenced they were by the work of Stevie Nicks. So we're slapping Stevie in the face if we don't consider Lady Antebellum for admission to the Hall ? That makes zero sense. As does the idea that Tupac belongs in the Hall because of who his "influences" were.
Listen, let's just agree that it's misnamed and should be called the Popular Music Hall of Fame.
It's getting more ridiculous with each new group of inductees. I know I'm gonna throw up when Boys To Men get inducted. And yes....they'll probably trace their roots back to the Four Seasons...who NEVER rocked.

Tupac is in because he and NWA Influenced nearly every current mainstream and top 40 artist, and took Rap and Hip hop from the streets the the masses. not dissimalar to what Nirvana and Pearl Jam did for the Seattle Grunge movement.Like it or not, and i am currently in the not side, Hip Hop, Rap, and Electronic Music are the New Rock and Roll. Not unlike how parents disliked Elvis because of his hip Gyrations, us older folks dislike these genres of music because they are not what we knew as Rock and Roll. Get used to it because Biggie is getting in next year or the year after when he is eligible.

Sorry, but most experts would disagree with your very narrow definition of rock and roll. The Supremes and every soul, R&B, hip-hop, and funk band definitely belong under the rock and roll umbrella. I like the "School of Rock" history of rock map. It's not as elaborate as some - I like its relative simplicity.

infographics-maps-music-school-of-rock.jpg

Reactions: demauroj
I missed on Depeche Mode and I think still think they were robbed. You can almost trace the origins of Electronic music to them. They are so influential it is disgusting. Joan Baez was very important culturally in the 60's and she was an amazing songwriter, but I don't think she should have beat out Depeche Mode.

I won't count the ELO as a miss because for some unknown reason they allowed 6 in this year.

I love Depeche Mode, but they were much less influential on the birth of popular electronic music than Kraftwerk and Joy Division/New Order.

@RU848789 DJ's a bunch of events, including my annual Halloween party. So he fancies himself somewhat of an authority on music. This agreement of his choices is going to make him even more impossible to deal with now. [laughing]

Well yes, thank you, I am an authority on music. You will kneel before me and acknowledge such before every Halloween party from now on. It's the only way you'll get me to play Deadmau5 and King Crimson. :>)

Sorry, but most experts would disagree with your very narrow definition of rock and roll. The Supremes and every soul, R&B, hip-hop, and funk band definitely belong under the rock and roll umbrella. I like the "School of Rock" history of rock map. It's not as elaborate as some - I like its relative simplicity.

Whoa....whoa. I see disco on that chart. You're kidding, right ?
I think we obviously have different definitions of Rock and Roll. I would just ask you what you perceive as the difference between Rock and Roll and pop music ? Or is there none for you ?

Tupac is in because he and NWA Influenced nearly every current mainstream and top 40 artist, and took Rap and Hip hop from the streets the the masses. .

The 1st comment simply isn't true. Some, absolutely, but not "every" and likely not even "most." The 2nd comment, sorry, can't agree: Run DMC my friend.

Reactions: bac2therac

That is a very interesting graphic, and made me think a bit more expansively about what is "rock and roll."
So what does not fit into a purists definition?:

1. Jazz- seems it should not fit--but Miles Davis is in the Hall of Fame
2. Disco -seemed to be the antithesis of rock and roll, but the Bee Gees and Donna Summer are in.
3. Rap- Beastie Boys, Run DMC and Public Enemy seem to have more rock and roll elements than Tupac (but maybe need to hear more)
4. Hip Hop-Sugar Hill Gange and Salt N Pepa have rock elements
5. Country- Garth Brooks? Some of the other guitar driven country bands?
6. Folk- Joan Baez seems to make a good case for exclusion of folk. What is the argument for inclusion?

Perhaps the hardest thing for a lot of rock and roll purists to digest is Jann Wenner's and the voters' flat out rejection, limitation, dragging out, delay, etc. of hard rock, heavy metal, punk rock and prog rock artists in favor of "less-deserving" genres of music where artists seem to be inducted much sooner. Deep Purple is a good example. Black Sabbath waited way too long. Yes just getting in this year? Black Flag influenced many bands that are already in the Hall of Fame. Moody Blues-why are they not in?

Say what? Can't agree. Solid, absolutely, but never in my life have I heard him regarded as "the best" and I wouldn't even put him in the "one of the best rappers" category. I'd put him as a 2nd-level guy but, hey, that's just me.

<Obscenity laden graphic removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
When is Led Zeppelin gettin inducted into the Hip Hop HOF? I didn't know we were non-discriminative all the way down to HOF inductions as well in this left winged world. Tupac Shakur? Are you absolutely ****ing kidding me?

Well yes, thank you, I am an authority on music. You will kneel before me and acknowledge such before every Halloween party from now on. It's the only way you'll get me to play Deadmau5 and King Crimson. :>)

You have to make a choice, and only one choice: 1. You are an authority on music. 2. You are an authority on weather.
You can't have both. Which one do you pick?

Kneel before THIS, you female dog!

I love Depeche Mode, but they were much less influential on the birth of popular electronic music than Kraftwerk and Joy Division/New Order.

Depeche Mode blows. How dare you mention them in the same sentence as New Order.

Tupac is definitely considered one of the best, and his influence in 90s rap was huge. When I think of late 80s through the 90s rap, the golden age of rap, I think about these guys (in no order):

2Pac
Wu Tang Clan
KRS-One
Redman, Keith Murray, EPMD
Busta Rhymes, A Tribe Called Quest
NWA, Easy-E, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube
Snoop Dogg
Eminem
Puff Daddy, Notorious BIG, Lil Kim
OutKast
Jay-Z
Nas
MC Hammer
Timbaland & Magoo, Missy Elliott
DMX
What about Cypress Hill, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, Slick Rick, Fugees & Lauryn Hill, LL Cool J?

ADVERTISEMENT