ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Inductees Announced

Doobie Brothers, Bad Company, Pat Benatar, Jethro Tull, The Guess Who, Tommy James & The Shondells to name but a few still waiting.

Reactions: Knight Shift
My thoughts....

• The Cure - Perhaps the biggest and most famous Goth band ever. They are the 1st Goth band to ever get in i believe.
  • Def Leppard - Started as a Heavy Metal band as part of NWOBHM, but then change their style to Hard Rock and later Pop Rock and found massive success, one of the biggest bands of the 1980's. Modern success also with Rock of Ages.
  • Janet Jackson - Not rock at all, but if her brother got in, you can't not let her in as well, since she is the most successful person on this list.
  • Stevie Nicks - She is already in the HOF for Fleetwood Mac, so this is her 2nd time getting in.
  • Radiohead - One of the biggest bands of the 1990's, sold over 30 million records and a music critic favorite.
  • Roxy Music - They basically created Glam Rock in the 1970's.
  • The Zombies - Legendary band, who was also one of the 1st to combine Jazz with Rock. They really only had two hits which is why it took this long to get in.
Not too bad, to be honest.

Never thought of the Cure as much of a Goth band, since their first few albums were much more punk/new wave. Sure in later years they went more Goth. Most deserving band on the list IMO, closely followed by Radiohead, who are one of the most innovative/influential bands of the last 20 years.

How can you call Janet Jackson or Michael not rock and roll?

No way should Stevie Nicks be in as a solo artist, IMO. I think Roxy Music and the Zombies are borderline calls, but I can see them getting in.

Getting into Bangles territory no lol?
Susanna Hoffs should be admitted as a solo artist for looks alone.
2c953b2b3a00a2de011396130a1cef99.jpg

Could not find a 2019 thread discussing Nominees:

Inductees:
  • The Cure
  • Def Leppard
  • Janet Jackson
  • Stevie Nicks
  • Radiohead
  • Roxy Music
  • The Zombies
----------------
Nominees who did not get in:
MC5, Devo, Rage Against the Machine and Todd Rundgren still deserving.
  • Devo
  • John Prine
  • Kraftwerk
  • LL Cool J
  • MC5
  • Rage Against the Machine
  • Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
  • Todd Rundgren

WTF is wrong the HOF? How can you ignore Todd as a writer, producer and performer?

How many hits did he need to make the hall? Ohh yeah, they can't figure out what style of music he fits into: how about MUSIC! SMH

MO

Reactions: Knight Shift
well we have established its not just pure rock and roll anymore. Certainly Ms Jackson is on the level of success and impact that she should be in. I really cannot argue with her inclusion.

In that vein, Tina Turner and Diana Ross should have been double inductees already and Stevie Nicks wouldn’t be alone.

There is no sanctioning body to this HOF. It's not the NCAA, NFL, MLB etc..

This is just some douchebag who thinks that Madonna and Donna Summer is rock but ELP, Yes, the Doobies, Iron Maiden aren't.

When I'm super rich, I'm gonna have my own hall of fame of dorks who think they are special and I'm gonna invite this idiot as inductee #2.

Reactions: mdh2003
Never thought of the Cure as much of a Goth band, since their first few albums were much more punk/new wave. Sure in later years they went more Goth. Most deserving band on the list IMO, closely followed by Radiohead, who are one of the most innovative/influential bands of the last 20 years.

No way should Stevie Nicks be in as a solo artist, IMO. I think Roxy Music and the Zombies are borderline calls, but I can see them getting in.

When most people think of Goth they think of the Cure. It doesn't matter what they started off as. Same can be said for Def Leppard They started off as heavy metal but most people can't name a single song off of those albums.

Michael is literally the King of Pop

Pop and Rock are two different things.

Last edited:
I never really got Clapton greatness either. I think Layla "made" him the same way Stairway made Jimmy Page. Take those songs out and a lot of stuff is just ok.

If I could play electric like one guy (without dying from drugs/liquor lol) it would be Plainfield's Eddie Hazel (in the HOF with Parliament). "Maggot Brain" gets off to a bad 30 second start because of George Clinton, but after that, you hear a guitar with no words, that goes places words can't. Clinton told Hazel to play like he heard his mom had died, and then he learned she was really still alive. I never heard the technical players (often saluted as the best) make a guitar talk like this

IMHO greatness is a combination of technical prowess and, for lack of a better word, fire. The older Clapton got the more his playing reflected technical prowess, which he has to this day, and the less fire. But from roughly 1966-1971 there was fire in abundance, and that's where Clapton's name/greatness was made.

In that vein, Tina Turner and Diana Ross should have been double inductees already and Stevie Nicks wouldn’t be alone.

except in their cases they were the show of their act, no denying that. In Stevie's case she was part of a group of that had two other lead vocalists...different scenerio.

Stevie Nicks impact is enormous in the world of rock and roll as an icon and as an influential artist. That transcended anything she did with Fleetwood Mac. Her longevity and presence even now is enormous. She is arguably the #1 female rocker of all time Is that not deserving of her own status. Not sure what your argument is here other than you probably do not like that kind of music I am guessing.

Reactions: zappaa
Stevie Nicks impact is enormous in the world of rock and roll as an icon and as an influential artist. That transcended anything she did with Fleetwood Mac. Her longevity and presence even now is enormous. She is arguably the #1 female rocker of all time Is that not deserving of her own status. Not sure what your argument is here other than you probably do not like that kind of music I am guessing.
I can’t think of a single front women who could equal her.
Janis is about it

When most people think of Goth they think of the Cure. It doesn't matter what they started off as. Same can be said for Def Leppard They started off as heavy metal but most people can name a single song off of those albums.

We'll never agree on that, as most pop, to me, falls under the big umbrella of rock and roll, just like hip-hop, metal and Goth - remember it's the rock and roll HOF, not the rock HOF. And besides that, MJ had a multiple massive rock hits, not just pop hits - just because Beat It, Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', and Smooth Criminal, for example, were wildly popular doesn't mean those songs didn't rock.

Also, while I agree many people would label the Cure as Goth, they've had a ton of successful songs and even hits that were definitely not Goth in nature - just think about songs like In Between Days, Just Like Heaven and Friday I'm in Love.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
When most people think of Goth they think of the Cure. It doesn't matter what they started off as. Same can be said for Def Leppard They started off as heavy metal but most people can name a single song off of those albums.

Def Leppard's first two albums, particularly the second album are classics. Not a weak track on the second one. From memory:

On Through the Night
-Rock Brigade
High and Dry Tracks
-Let it Go
-Another Hit and Run
- High and Dry
-Switch 625
-Lady Strange
- No, No, No.
-Bringing on the Heartache
-You've Got Me Running
-Mirror, Mirror
-On Through the Night
------------
I bought Pyromania, and it was OK, and then Hysteria, which I may have listened to it a handful of times, and never bought another DL album.

When most people think of Goth they think of the Cure. It doesn't matter what they started off as. Same can be said for Def Leppard They started off as heavy metal but most people can't name a single song off of those albums.

No. Only people who think of Robert Smith's look think of The Cure as "goth". The band's music was post punk/pop.

Michael Jackson is not "literally" the king of anything.

And there is a ton of rock that is also pop.

5fbd7184dd9eb72eabbdf0128f8a9f2e.jpg

We'll never agree on that, as most pop, to me, falls under the big umbrella of rock and roll, just like hip-hop, metal and Goth - remember it's the rock and roll HOF, not the rock HOF.

Rock is just short for Rock and Roll.

If you can't trace the roots of the genre to all the way back to Chuck Berry, then it is not Rock, IMHO.

Reactions: Kbee3
No. Only people who think of Robert Smith's look think of The Cure as "goth". The band's music was post punk/pop.

Michael Jackson is not "literally" the king of anything.

And there is a ton of rock that is also pop.

5fbd7184dd9eb72eabbdf0128f8a9f2e.jpg

The King of Pop is "literally" his nickname.

Yes, pop rock exists, but there most pop is not rock.

But today that is not what these terms means. Pop means something very specific. It is its own genre, it doesn't matter what the name comes from.

If everything is Rock then nothing is Rock.

This is not suppose to be the Music HOF. It is suppose to be the Rock HOF, but that is no longer the case, mostly due to reasons that has NOTHING to do with how people want to define Rock to include everything under the sun.

I understand why she got voted in - I just am not a big fan of most of her solo stuff, even the hits, with the major exception of Edge of 17, which I loved. Liked her work in Fleetwood Mac much more, within the context of that band. Music is just so subjective, which is why it's always such a great conversation topic.

Reactions: cicero grimes
I'll never get The Cure or most of the British Rock from the '80s, none of which ever resonated with me for a millisecond. I know, however, that lots of folks like that music and am happy to defer to them on whether The Cure or any of those other bands with singers who sound like The Cure's guy should get in.

I understand why she got voted in - I just am not a big fan of most of her solo stuff, even the hits, with the major exception of Edge of 17, which I loved. Liked her work in Fleetwood Mac much more, within the context of that band. Music is just so subjective, which is why it's always such a great conversation topic.
Smokin' hot in her day though.

I can’t think of a single front women who could equal her.
Janis is about it

Grace slick...but she didn't have any solo success..ditto for Ann Wilson...I think Stevie created a persona outside the band. Christine McVie had as many hits as Stevie in the band but no one would put her in solo

Reactions: cicero grimes
One of the most haunting voices of all time.

Nicks and The Cure (another of the most haunting voices of all time) get votes from me.
Do you think Lindsey Buckingham does Stevie's induction intro?

Reactions: fsg2
Anybody who thinks these guys don't belong in the R'N'R HOF obviously have no understanding of Rock 'N' Roll!

I was just kidding. I watched him on his CBS Sunday Morning interview. He did the whole "Who? What? Me?" routine. There's never any blameless side in these things.

Agreed. I just thought you were being serious. It's a shame all the way around though.

The King of Pop is "literally" his nickname.

Yes, pop rock exists, but there most pop is not rock.
It's pop-rock, just like the early Beatles were. Most popular music can still be traced to rock and roll roots, except maybe pure crooners/ballads, which certainly existed before rock and roll. Always liked the graphic below from the king of way-cool data visualization, Edwin Tufte. And this link has some interesting suggestions for other women who could be in the RRHOF.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...-and-roll-hall-of-fame-11537/joan-baez-37834/

0002N6-2902.gif

0002N6-2903.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT