ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Inductees Announced

No argument here, but one step at a time. Maiden and Priest are the next wave after Sabbath and industry standards. They helped shape the genre and move to the next level and the big 4 revolutionized the Metal industry completely.
I know you were using the "Big 4" loosely, but to thrash metal fans, the Big 4 are Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax. Some purists say the Big 6 should include Exodus and NJ's own Overkill--but they will never sniff the HOF, while Janet Jackson is in. That's sad.
https://www.billboard.com/articles/...r-megadeth-anthrax-thrash-metal-big-four-2016

Reactions: Knight Shift
I was referring to Metallica, Slayer, Mega and Thrax. Come on man... give me some credit ;)
Sorry, man.
Frederic-Metal-Smiey-GIF.gif~c200
571b1477.gif~c200

The people who vote for these things do not understand nor like metal, so don't hold your breath.

But, as they let more and more Harder Rock bands in, they also get a vote and in a few decades perhaps there will be enough people to get biggest metal acts in.

Last edited:
The Cure was a staple during my days at the Melody. Very influential, great songwriting and solid musicians. I saw them at the Garden in the late 80’s, they were a good live band as well. Lullaby definitely one of my faves..

Roxy was the opening band for my first concert ever at MSG. Had no idea who or what they were. Loved them.Radioheads Paranoid Android one of my top ten of all time. Devo were the poster children for the early 80's.Zombies were my youth ..Great harmonies .The rest not my cup of tea but all deserve praise.

We agree on something related to music!

If you needed the detailed explanation as to why today's music kind of .... well... absolutely sucks, watch this 20 minute online breakdown of music then and music now. And those who say it sucks, now have a scientific explanation as to why they are right.

One thing I learned from it was that we must find a way to build a time machine and go back to make sure Max Martin and Lukasz Gottwald are never born. Anyway, it's 20 minutes in length.

Reactions: Knight Shift
we can argue neither is Bob Dylan. R&R HoF has plenty of non-rockers
This is where the term “it’s all rock n roll to me” fits perfectly. IMO
He was the the epitome of the 60s non bubble gum rocker.
No old hippie would ever admit to not liking him.

If you needed the detailed explanation as to why today's music kind of .... well... absolutely sucks, watch this 20 minute online breakdown of music then and music now. And those who say it sucks, now have a scientific explanation as to why they are right.

Well, that is true for Pop music. It is cookie cutter music. It is literally just two guys writing all of the songs for every pop act for the last few decades.

But when it comes to non-pop music, there are a ton of good bands and groups, but you have to go hunting for them.

Reactions: fsg2
BOOM...Stevie Nicks..first women to be inducted twice

good lord what happened to rock and roll music...we are lucky to have been a part to experience real music with real passion

One of the most haunting voices of all time.

Nicks and The Cure (another of the most haunting voices of all time) get votes from me.

Reactions: cicero grimes

One thing I learned from it was that we must find a way to build a time machine and go back to make sure Max Martin and Lukasz Gottwald are never born. Anyway, it's 20 minutes in length.

Thanks for posting. I agree with much of what he says. Having said that, there were hundreds if not thousands of songs from the ‘50s and ‘60’s that used the same I vi IV V progression (tonic, relative minor, subdominant then dominant or dominant seventh progression). I had and still have no problem with that. Those artists generally played their own instruments. In the ‘60s bands like the Beatles, Beach Boys, Temptations, and many others ventured into more complex harmonies and other extensions. What bothers me today is the software, looping, tone “corrections” and that fact that few play instruments. This further leads to a lack of experimentation and innovation. Part of the return to vinyl is that it captures the nuance that is often lost or muddied in digitalization. Of course the source recording has to have those nuances and complexities and many recordings today are not.

Last edited:

todays music sucks..its not that I am an old fogey either., Rock is dead. Its all about hip and hop and dance and manufactured voices and tinny sounds. Its garbage..cue Numbers coming in here to say no no its not there are alot of great artists out there. That may be true, but they will never gain fame or any longevity in todays business and they will be forgotten soon.

Was always into Motown and funk, loved Ohio Players, James Brown, Rick James, Isley Bros

If you like these artists, you should check out Prince's catalog outside of the 'pop-style' Purple Rain album.

Thanks for posting. I agree with much of what he says. Having said that, there were hundreds if not thousands of songs from the ‘50s and ‘60’s that used the same I vi IV V progression (tonic, relative minor, subdominant then dominant or dominant seventh progression). I had and still have no problem with that. Those artists generally played their own instruments. In the ‘60s bands like the Beatles, Beach Boys, Temptations, and many others ventured into more complex harmonies and other extensions. What bothers me today is the software, looping, tone “corrections” and that fact that few play instruments. This further leads to a lack of experimentation and innovation. Part of the return to vinyl is that it captures the nuance that is often lost or muddied in digitalization. Of course the source recording has to have those nuances and complexities and many recordings today are not.
Jeff Beck is recognized by his peers as the greatest living guitarist.
With full humility he said he keeps a guitar in every room to remind him he needs to play everyday.
His secret he says, is every time he picks up his instrument he treats it like it’s the first time he’s ever played and wants to learn something.
I find that amazing.

With full humility he said he keeps a guitar in every room to remind him he needs to play everyday.
His secret he says, is every time he picks up his instrument he treats it like it’s the first time he’s ever played and wants to learn something.
I find that amazing.
Great special on Showtime on him. He builds hot rods too.

The Cure and Radiohead are favs. I saw Cure at MSG and Smith sounds the same as he did in 80s. Great live band.

Reactions: Jm0513
what is sad is what actually being passed off as alternative music...holy moly..its glorified pop/dance music. It has nothing to do with rock or alternative
in our day we used to sit in a circle and argue about who the best guitarists and drummers were, who played the best leads, emulate drum solos, discuss lyrics.

in our day we used to sit in a circle and argue about who the best guitarists and drummers were, who played the best leads, emulate drum solos, discuss lyrics.

With respect to guitar players you could have a respectable discussion just with the Yardbirds.

The Cure was a staple during my days at the Melody. Very influential, great songwriting and solid musicians. I saw them at the Garden in the late 80’s, they were a good live band as well. Lullaby definitely one of my faves..

Now they have to talk about what members will be playing ceremony since not all current members will be inducted

The Cure's Roger O'Donnell Says 'Extremely Unlikely' Former Members Will Be Invited to Play at Rock Hall Induction

https://www.billboard.com/articles/...l-talks-rock-hall-induction-no-former-members

Reactions: bossnj1
I find that amazing.

After practicing guitar for awhile I can see the wisdom in that. Playing guitar is a perishable skill. Its not like riding a bike after 20 years. You lose the "trick in the fingers" without keeping active. Its also easy to keep noodling the same riffs all the time when practicing. I can see why a lot of people quit trying to learn. You really have to overreach to make progress beyond knowing a few riffs

I find that amazing.
Bingo Zap. Guys like Beck had a passion for learning from the past and innovating beyond. They listened to the great blues masters like Robert Johnson from the 30s 40s 50s and beyond. Then also learned from other genres and music kept evolving. Now it’s largely packed and phoney product. Not to mention the harmonies of guys like Brian Wilson, McCartney, and others.

Last edited:
Soft spot for Def Leppard. Still remember the chills I felt during their first concert with Rick Allen back. Joe gets on the mic and starts to talk about Rick’s accident. The band seeing him and not sure what to expect. Rick asks for drum sticks and starts to tap on the bed rail as well as move his feet. Tells them he will be back, better then ever. He will find a way.

Seconds later lights go out, spotlight on Rick, intro to Pour Some Sugar on Me.

Insane!

Last edited:
I never really got Clapton greatness either. I think Layla "made" him the same way Stairway made Jimmy Page. Take those songs out and a lot of stuff is just ok.

If I could play electric like one guy (without dying from drugs/liquor lol) it would be Plainfield's Eddie Hazel (in the HOF with Parliament). "Maggot Brain" gets off to a bad 30 second start because of George Clinton, but after that, you hear a guitar with no words, that goes places words can't. Clinton told Hazel to play like he heard his mom had died, and then he learned she was really still alive. I never heard the technical players (often saluted as the best) make a guitar talk like this

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT