ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Strong storms and heavy rain (with flooding) likely this afternoon thru Tues am (7/22-7/23)

You were fortunate. A couple of Sundays ago, I believe when the heat wave broke, we had a thunderstorm in NP. It wasn't too bad. Just a few miles away, Martinsville and Somerville were shredded.
Yep, my buddy in Martinsville lost 3 trees and was without power for almost 2 days.

we got .05..it was a total bust here given all the hype..usually it happens after overperforming events, they go overboard the next time

bac - I think you need to try to better understand the limitations of meteorology. This was, in no way, a "busted" forecast. Just look at the graphic I posted with the rainfall amounts. Are you actually expecting them to be able to forecast 4" of rain on northern Staten Island, 2" on central SI and 1/4" in southern SI, over a distance of less than 10 miles? Those kinds of gradients existed in a dozen or more locations across E-PA/NJ/NYC.

That's why you see them say things like "1/2-1" of rain with more possible in t-storms." It's literally impossible with mesocale, localized events like this to make accurate rainfall forecasts - the numerical models just aren't capable of handling the stochastic and highly chaotic nature of such events on very fine scales and may never be, especially in summer with ~10X the energy in the atmosphere vs. winter - that energy is what makes it possible to have 4" of rain in one town and little rain a few towns over.

Reactions: retired711
That looks like it could dip South and rip right through Giants Stadium in a few hours.
Nope, very unlikely - storms are supposed to dissipate before reaching the NYC metro, although a brief t-storm or two is possible (but nothing like yesterday) along 95 and in NYC metro; areas well N/W of NYC (Sussex/Warren/Orange/EPA) are much more likely to get some strong storms and are under a watch.

Going to be an insanely gorgeous Fri-Sat-Sun with lots of sunshine and no rain and highs in the mid/upper 80s on Friday and the low 80s for the weekend, with dewpoints in the very comfortable 50s. Enjoy.

Nope, very unlikely - storms are supposed to dissipate before reaching the NYC metro, although a brief t-storm or two is possible (but nothing like yesterday) along 95 and in NYC metro; areas well N/W of NYC (Sussex/Warren/Orange/EPA) are much more likely to get some strong storms and are under a watch.

Going to be an insanely gorgeous Fri-Sat-Sun with lots of sunshine and no rain and highs in the mid/upper 80s on Friday and the low 80s for the weekend, with dewpoints in the very comfortable 50s. Enjoy.

Well, the line of storms is holding together better than expected, so the NYC metro, including the immediate NJ suburbs within 5-10 miles of NYC might still get doused with a few strong t-storms in the next hour or so - won't last that long, though.

You were saying?

It was a doozy of a storm, strong thunder and lightning

I still think it rips through Giants Stadium

You were saying?

It was a doozy of a storm, strong thunder and lightning

I still think it rips through Giants Stadium
You're in Sussex - I said Sussex would get hit hard. NYC metro wasn't supposed to, but now NE NJ is under a severe t-storm warning and NYC might be soon. But it's still not nearly the kind of storms we saw last night. Shouldn't last more than 20 minutes in this area and won't be that severe, as the line is dissipating some - likely won't affect anywhere south of about 78 - dissipated completely there - hard to get where it dissipates exactly right.

You're in Sussex - I said Sussex would get hit hard. NYC metro wasn't supposed to, but now NE NJ is under a severe t-storm warning and NYC might be soon. But it's still not nearly the kind of storms we saw last night. Shouldn't last more than 20 minutes in this area and won't be that severe, as the line is dissipating some - likely won't affect anywhere south of about 78 - dissipated completely there - hard to get where it dissipates exactly right.

I was right, you said nope.

Own your mistake, not a big deal

Just passed through here, strong winds, heavy rain off and on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT