ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Strong storms and heavy rain (with flooding) likely this afternoon thru Tues am (7/22-7/23)

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
I don't usually start summertime weather threads (apart from tropical systems), but people seem to be interested in the last few, so why not. Anyway, there's a chance of some severe t-storms this afternoon/evening from the approaching cold front with heavy rains (1/2-1") and possibly damaging winds. Then, overnight, more storms are likely with another low pressure system, with the main threat being heavy rains (1-2" more possible), which, given saturated ground, could mean moderate to even significant urban and small stream flooding in many locations. A flood watch is up for the entire Philly-NJ-NYC region.

Showers and thunderstorms are forecast to bring periods of heavy
rain to our region from Monday afternoon into early Tuesday
morning. Rainfall totals of 1 to 2 inches are expected to be
common, with local amounts up to 3 to 4 inches possible. This
could lead to flash flooding.

https://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=phi&wwa=flash flood watch

https://www.weather.gov/phi/

Of course. 4 of my last 5 softball games have been rained out (all schedule for Thurs nights, IIRC), so we've got a DH scheduled for tomorrow night - the 1st Tuesday game(s) of the year for us - and BAMM!!

I don't usually start summertime weather threads (apart from tropical systems), but people seem to be interested in the last few, so why not. Anyway, there's a chance of some severe t-storms this afternoon/evening from the approaching cold front with heavy rains (1/2-1") and possibly damaging winds. Then, overnight, more storms are likely with another low pressure system, with the main threat being heavy rains (1-2" more possible), which, given saturated ground, could mean moderate to even significant urban and small stream flooding in many locations. A flood watch is up for the entire Philly-NJ-NYC region.

Showers and thunderstorms are forecast to bring periods of heavy
rain to our region from Monday afternoon into early Tuesday
morning. Rainfall totals of 1 to 2 inches are expected to be
common, with local amounts up to 3 to 4 inches possible. This
could lead to flash flooding.

https://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=phi&wwa=flash flood watch

https://www.weather.gov/phi/
Oh look, a thread for some rain.
[eyeroll]

Severe thunderstorms, possible tornadoes, and heavy flooding is more than just some rain. Just skip it if you don't care but I for one do.

I don't care if the threads are combined, as long as tango updates the thread title. Have had very clear requests from many posters to have new threads for new events and the threats here are quite different.

Ya know there already is weather thread current

It is still (4:06) 92 degrees in Cherry Hill, and it has occurred to the NWS that the area should have a heat advisory. The rain is supposed to come, and perhaps be quite violent, but I guess the front is moving more slowly than expected.

Anyone in Wanaque
Golfball sized hail
Same in Oakland, NJ (ping-pong size). Serious storms lining up from Wilmington to Philly, likely to head up 95 towards most of CNJ and some serious storms NW of NYC in NW NJ/NE PA/Hudson Valley. Severe t-storm watches are up for everyone and some warnings in place for the active storms I mentioned above. Could be storms and heavy rain through about late morning tomorrow.

Same in Oakland, NJ (ping-pong size). Serious storms lining up from Wilmington to Philly, likely to head up 95 towards most of CNJ and some serious storms NW of NYC in NW NJ/NE PA/Hudson Valley. Severe t-storm watches are up for everyone and some warnings in place for the active storms I mentioned above. Could be storms and heavy rain through about late morning tomorrow.

Do you mean "Oaklyn," located in South Jersey along Route 30? I'm in Cherry Hill, and it's starting to cloud out and the trees are stirring.

Holy crap, this latest storm in Middlesex County and much of CNJ has been wild, with very heavy rain, regular lightning and some gusty winds. Severe t-storm warnings are up all over the place, as are flash flood warnings, which will likely be extended as the t-storms hit and the rain keeps pouring down. Just saw our neighbors large recycling/trash cans floating by our house, as there's an incline and the runoff by the curb carried them 2 houses down, hitting the other neighbor's parked car. No damage, but was pretty comical to watch.

67062279_10216631226007119_3236548545217560576_n.jpg

Supposed to be going to Dorney Park with a large group from summer camp on Tuesday morning, getting there around 11 AM. Any thoughts on whether this clears out prior to that, or at the very least leaves us in a cloudy but manageable stretch for the rest of the day?

Supposed to be going to Dorney Park with a large group from summer camp on Tuesday morning, getting there around 11 AM. Any thoughts on whether this clears out prior to that, or at the very least leaves us in a cloudy but manageable stretch for the rest of the day?
Should be manageable - worst should be over by then and, actually, it could end up being a great day with temps in the upper 70s, lower humidity (dew points in the mid-60s) and mostly cloudy conditions, but minimal rain (just a spotty shower or two, but it could also be dry). Enjoy. Going to be gorgeous from Tuesday evening through at least the weekend.

:sunglasses:
Should be manageable - worst should be over by then and, actually, it could end up being a great day with temps in the upper 70s, lower humidity (dew points in the mid-60s) and mostly cloudy conditions, but minimal rain (just a spotty shower or two, but it could also be dry). Enjoy. Going to be gorgeous from Tuesday evening through at least the weekend.

Thx! Will be sharing with our trip planner. Always up to him, but hopefully I can sway..:sunglasses:

:sunglasses:

Thx! Will be sharing with our trip planner. Always up to him, but hopefully I can sway..:sunglasses:

Show him this (if it pastes properly) - measurable rain should be essentially over by 10-11 am with a few light showers, at most, after that. Not only will the weather likely be decent, but the wet conditions and clouds will likely keep most people from going, so it'll be less crowded than usual and you'll be a hero to your kids. Go for it.

Plotter.php

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=40.5776&lon=-75.5317#.XTZOZ-hKjDc

Drove from Princeton to North Brunswick around 6:00 pm. All of the traffic lights on Rt. 27 were out - it took an hour to get there.

Was on Route 9 in Manalapan /,Marlboro around 6:30 and boy was it coming down. Couldnt see driving and winds were howling like crazy....had to be 60-70 mph gusts.

Reactions: MikeRU09
One of my sisters lives in upstate New York and says crazy storms there too. Power on and off in Freehold.

Nearly all of Monmouth county is dark.
First day without heat, first day without power. Almost all of Howell is without power. Have the generator going, but it'll only handle so much. Right now have to do without air conditioners and water. Had to check all the pig fencing as we got a couple downed trees. Got lucky on that one, as tree just missed. So grateful I'm not mending a fence in the dark.

First day without heat, first day without power. Almost all of Howell is without power. Have the generator going, but it'll can only handle so much. Right now have to do without air conditioners and water. Had to check all the pig fencing as we got a couple downed trees. Got lucky on that one as tree just missed. So grateful I'm not mending a fence in the dark.

You should be okay without the AC, as the temps are supposed to keep falling into the upper 60s in western MonCo.

I've long toyed with the idea of a whole house hook-up, but given that we don't expect to spend more than another few years in this house it just doesn't seem to make financial sense. It's not the sort of cost you're going to recover.

Reactions: koleszar
Middletown still dark. We just moved so sandy generator is buried somewhere in the garage.

You should be okay without the AC, as the temps are supposed to keep falling into the upper 60s in western MonCo.

I've long toyed with the idea of a whole house hook-up, but given that we don't expect to spend more than another few years in this house it just doesn't seem to make financial sense. It's not the sort of cost you're going to recover.
We're kicking around the idea of a whole house generator, hooked up to my 500 gal. propane bomb. But really in 6 yrs on the farm this is only the second time we've lost power. So I'm not sure it's really worth it. It does suck not having water. But with two portable Honda EU2200 generators I have for work. I keep the freezers going(not going to lose another one of those), have fans and lights. Those little suckers are expensive but really put out some juice.

Have.one finally and well worth it.

That's why I never invested in a generator, even after Sandy. Always figured we could get through a few days without power or AC if we had to and in the worst case, it's not hard to get of Dodge, like we did 4 days after Sandy, when the novelty of living in the Stone Age wore off and we drove to Philly and stayed in a hotel for a couple of nights, since we were due to go there anyway, so we just went a day early and stayed an extra night and then the power was back on.

The only weather scenario I could see being a serious danger from losing power, where one couldn't "get away" would be an historic ice storm encasing everything in ice, cutting off all power, and not being able to drive, followed by record cold temperatures for a few day where the house could get dangerously cold (although we do have a fireplace); and even the worst snowstorms have always had our road cleared within 24 hours, which gets us to major roads easily, whereas that might not happen after an ice storm. I'm assuming a major flood would never hit here, as we're not close to a floodplain at all.

I don't care if the threads are combined, as long as tango updates the thread title. Have had very clear requests from many posters to have new threads for new events and the threats here are quite different.
Yes I have.

And my name isn’t Manny. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This was much appreciated, good job.

Reactions: RU848789
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT