ADVERTISEMENT

OT: (Update 2) Atlantic City on Beer & Music fest weekend (STEAKHOUSE?)

Re: OT: (Update) Atlantic City on Beer & Music fest weekend

I'm booked at Borgata that weekend.

Word from multiple people I know was that the Claridge was a DUMP at the time it was split off from Bally's. Nobody stayed there twice. I know the new owners have invested in improvements but I don't know anyone who has stayed there recently.

Originally posted by Phi_1055:
I'm booked at Borgata that weekend.

Word from multiple people I know was that the Claridge was a DUMP at the time it was split off from Bally's. Nobody stayed there twice. I know the new owners have invested in improvements but I don't know anyone who has stayed there recently.
There are a bunch of recent good reviews on TripAdvisor, but who the hell knows!

Saturday night session for me and my crew of 10ish. Pumped to see Everclear, who played rutgersfest while I was in school but they had to move it to the RAC because of weather and I missed out on tickets
Posted from Rivals Mobile

The only place I'd stay down there is the Borgata and it's nowhere near the boardwalk. Homestead is great. So is Bobby Flay.

Re: OT: Atlantic City on Beer & Music fest weekend

Originally posted by valkabit:
There is a good brewpub & restaurant on the ground floor of the Sheraton. They only serve their own beer, but the last time I was there the beers were good.
From a local:

+1 Called the Tun Tavern. Named after the Tun Tavern in Philly which is the birthplace of the US Marine Corps.

Irish Pub
AC Bar & Grill (on Pacific across from Showboat. The White Crab Pizza is legendary.
Chef Vola (Italian/Seafood)
Knife & Fork (Steak)
Dock's Oyster House (Seafood)
Angelo's Fairmount Tavern (Italian)

I'll be at the Saturday night session with my wife and maybe a few others. After that I'll be playing craps at the Borgata until I sober up, then I'll be at 1-2 or 2-5 no limit poker depending on how sober I am..

There is a new gastro pub called wingcraft right across from the Sheraton. Very good beer selection with decent food. Also like cafe 2825 for Italian food. The Tropicana is nice and near the boardwalk. Not a huge fan of old homestead. It's over priced but that is expected I suppose.

I'll be at the Saturday night session. Staying with friends at the Atlantic Palace suites. This will be the first overnight away from our son, so things could get sloppy. Can't wait.

Update # 2: I said screw it and we made a reservation at the Borgata.

NOW - Whats' the best nearby steakhouse / restaurant for a nice date night dinner on Friday?

Bobby Flay?

Old HomeStead?

Vic & Anthony's?

anything else?

Knife and Fork looks interesting? is it worth it?

***************************[/B]

if you are looking for a steak house - try the Palm located in the Havana Quarter - nationally reknowned steakhouse.

Irish Pub - also in the Quarter - RiRa - they deconstructed and reconstructed a genuine Irish Pub (or so they say)

Italian food - and a unique dining experience - try Chef Vola - but good luck getting a ressie on short notice (ain't happening)

I would avoid Old Homestead. They are way too inconsistent. Plus when they are busy they'll make you wait a while (like a full hour) for a table even if you have a reservation, which would ruin pretty much any date night. On two occasions,my steak was charred to a crisp on the outside, raw on the inside. When they get it right it is pretty awesome, but it's really a shot in the dark and not worth it considering the price. Friday nights are busy there so I'd avoid it.

Flay's is probably a better bet within the Borgata. The cowboy steak is really good. The Palm is also fairly decent if you're around the Trop.

The reviews for Bobby Flay were all over the place, people complaining about the service, the weight, and inconsistent preparation.

I would really rather be much closer to the Borcana, but I made a reservation at knife and fork because it seems to get consistently good ratings.

I find it strange how the same restaurant can get five star ratings from some people, and one star ratings from others. I don't like inconsistent, I'm only there two nights!

Old Homestead

Bobby Flay's was so underwhelming the times I went & I wouldn't go back. Good atmosphere but mediocre food, especially the steaks.

Anyone been to Gordon Ramsey's pub at Caesars? It just opened up recently where Mia once was in the lobby.

For Italian: We really like Chef Vola, if you can get a reservation. Have to call for a reservation pretty far in advance. It's cash only & byob. If driving, pay to park in lot nearby...immediate area not so great and they will watch your car for you.

Just made reservations for Cafe 2825. We can't "officially" recommend it yet (our first time going) but it got great reviews! They accept credit cards and have a fully stocked bar. I called to make reservations directly instead of using Open Table. Open Table required a credit card to hold reservations and there was a penalty if you didn't cancel in advance by deadline. When I called, they didn't ask for my credit card info.

For hangover food: Don't forget to stop by the original White House Subs on Artic Ave. Call in advance for a pick up order and you don't have to wait on a long line...go right in, past line, to pickup counter.
smokin.r191677.gif

Enjoy!

Go RU!
Diane

We have not but it's on my hit list! Let us know how it is.

Go RU!
Diane

Originally posted by CornerTavern:
The reviews for Bobby Flay were all over the place, people complaining about the service, the weight, and inconsistent preparation.

I would really rather be much closer to the Borcana, but I made a reservation at knife and fork because it seems to get consistently good ratings.

If you really want to remain at or near Borgata I'd say go to Old Homestead or next door at Vic and Anthony's at Golden Nugget. Don't let the few bad reviews fool you. Not that the bad reviews don't have merit, but they are the exception and nowadays the exceptions get undue exposure because of the Internet. I've never had a bad meal at Bobby Flays but it's not on par with Old Homestead.

But as I wrote earlier I've heard nothing but good/great things about Knife and Fork, so you won't be disappointed going there.

Hands down Old Homestead, and its right in the Borgata. I was just there last month, on a very busy friday night (day before valentines day), and the service and food was GREAT. I had a reservation, but still it was great. Usually is. The apps and steaks are very good too.

If you get a chance hit hte pool at harrahs during the day too. Its even better in dead winter, to escape the cold, but still normal prices and relaxing. Boardwalk and other hotels etc. are easily accessible by cab. Enjoy.

This post was edited on 3/10 5:40 PM by IL Lusciato

never eaten at the knife and fork would recommendhighly the Palm as it is a very classy place. Eaten at two Orlando and AC. you can share a 44 oz rib eye for two

Originally posted by RUBigFrank:

never eaten at the knife and fork would recommendhighly the Palm as it is a very classy place. Eaten at two Orlando and AC. you can share a 44 oz rib eye for two
Fwiw CT, this recommendation is coming from a guy who's bringing Coors Light to a BYOB restaurant I'm going with him to on Wednesday.

Everclear was atrocious. Granted I wasn't expecting much from them, but holy hell those guys are washed up.

Did anyone else get a chance to check out Pinelands Brewery? I wanna say they are in Mays landing. I'd never heard of them before but I particularly enjoyed their blueberry beer, and I'm not one to like fruit flavored beers

Loved the pinelands brewery. Really enjoyed the zombie killer mead as well. Btw the menzingers killed it on Friday. Slowly becoming one of my favorite weekends of the year!

I liked the Weyerbacher Merry Monks and in the fruity category the Rivertowne Hala Kahiki and Grateful White
This post was edited on 3/25 1:43 PM by CornerTavern

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT