ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers coach Chris Ash: 'Days of scheduling easy games are gone'

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
""The days of just scheduling easy games and victories are gone," Ash told NJ Advance Media. "It used to be you could turn around a program fairly quickly based on how you scheduled your non-conference games."

""But in this day and age, the fans, media, playoff committees, they want to see what you did in your non-conference games. It's a big part of it."

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...days_of_scheduling_easy_games_are_gone_f.html

Reactions: Alaska_Dawg
Maybe he should tell his buddy Urban to stop playing cupcakes

Which cupcakes would that be
Oklahoma?
Texas?
Oregon?
TCU?
Notre Dame?

I have to admit last years schedule hurt OSU. Playing Hawaii, Northern Illinois and Western Michigan all in a row really put OSU to sleep. Following those games with Indiana, Maryland, PSU and RU was even more sleepy dust.

He was still saying "schedule to win", so it's about finding good matchup. Challenging and winnable. Not too easy, not to hard. And he wants to play at home as much as possible, all things bering equal. We're building a program.

Sounds good to me.

61594418.jpg

Reactions: MikeR0102
I hope this will not affect our rivalry with Howard and Norfolk, we wouldn't be here today without those two.

Right.. because it was oh so easy for the Rutgers, Big East member, to schedule home and homes with BCS level foes. While the top conference members were overpaying teams to come play them for a one-off payday game, like Rutgers did in visits to Tennessee and Florida and elsewhere in the past, Rutgers could not afford anyone good and had a hard time getting home and homes with anyone.

You people who slammed the schedule refuse to understand that for some reason. We needed home games for budget reasons and to help get victories using home advantage. But you wanted us to take those 2 for 1 and 3 for 2 deals with games at the Meadowlands just to play "good" teams.

In 2006 we had 6 home games and 6 road games.. no BCS teams other than some PAC teams played only 6 home games. And we got no credit for playing a lot of road games that season... and we got stuck in the Texas Bowl.

Now that we are a Big Ten team we can attract better OOC games.. and when we get that Big Ten money we can afford to pay better name teams to come visit us. But stop with the nonsense about the old schedules. We did the best we could and now we are in the Big Ten. Whatever it was.. forced to schedule the likes of Norfolk or by choice... it worked. And unless you want to start slamming Florida and other SEC teams for loading up on sacrificial lambs to play 7 and even 8 home games... never leaving the state or region to play.. just stop the nonsense.

Last edited:
No easy games? Doesn't he know Penn state is in our division so we HAVE to play them

Reactions: MikeR0102
I disagree. Any Big Ten team will make the playoff assuming they win the conference with less than 3 losses no matter who their OOC opponents were give or take an off year where it's a west division team who avoided 2/3 East powers and there's a 1 loss SEC team or something.

Take Michigan for example this year. Our OOC is AWFUL. vs. Hawaii, vs. UCF and vs. Colorado. But given our preseason ranking and our conference we're going to be #1 in the country heading into the MSU game assuming we don't lose beforehand and the teams ahead of us lose once which is very possible. A good OOC schedule only helps you if you're in a battle for the 4th spot and not winning the B1G or if you're a G5. Once they expand to 8 playoff teams it may be more important as you will have multiple non-conference winnings teams still in contention.

lol i had to look it up, but that is not your ooc schedule

Tulsa?
Tulane?

So when did Oklahoma, Texas, Oregon, TCU, and Notre dame join the B1G? Or are you saying we do not have those teams scheudled in the upcoming years?

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-ten/ohio-state-buckeyes.php

Or are you foolish enough to suggest that every OOC game should be against a top 20 team? According to just about everyone who ranks strength of schedule we have one of the top 15 toughest schedules this year.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2016/05/2016-college-football-strength-schedule-win-loss-method/

So when did Oklahoma, Texas, Oregon, TCU, and Notre dame join the B1G? Or are you saying we do not have those teams scheudled in the upcoming years?

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-ten/ohio-state-buckeyes.php

Or are you foolish enough to suggest that every OOC game should be against a top 20 team? According to just about everyone who ranks strength of schedule we have one of the top 15 toughest schedules this year.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2016/05/2016-college-football-strength-schedule-win-loss-method/

Yes, there are a number of posters here who really believe OOC's should be Alabama, ND, and FSU every year. Anything less is not acceptable.

Reactions: patk89
Right.. because it was oh so easy for the Rutgers, Big East member, to schedule home and homes with BCS level foes. While the top conference members were overpaying teams to come play them for a one-off payday game, like Rutgers did in visits to Tennessee and Florida and elsewhere in the past, Rutgers could not afford anyone good and had a hard time getting home and homes with anyone.
Now just stop: there is no use for facts when throwing sheet against the wall.
Yes, there are a number of posters here who really believe OOC's should be Alabama, ND, and FSU every year. Anything less is not acceptable.
And they should be paying us for the privilege of playing us!

I can't believe people really believe that. Just trying to work out a schedule agreeable to everyone with that many power house schools would be impossible. If a school schedules 1 typical top 20 team and the rest all d1 teams they are doing fine. Hell look at the junk teams SEC schools schedule late in the year.

I can't believe people really believe that. Just trying to work out a schedule agreeable to everyone with that many power house schools would be impossible. If a school schedules 1 typical top 20 team and the rest all d1 teams they are doing fine. Hell look at the junk teams SEC schools schedule late in the year.

Oh believe it. It's been a constant theme going back for as long as I've been here. Common sense is often missing when discussing scheduling. People don't want to hear about the 60+ P5 schools that schedule the same way. They want what they want.

Actually, more cupcakes started appearing on schedules as schedules increased to 11 and then 12 games after the 1960s, creating more slots on the schedule that power schools had to fill. Before that, teams could run into some fairly brutal nonconference schedules. Here's a sample from Northwestern out-of-conference schedules in the late '60s.

1966 — Florida, Notre Dame, Oregon State
1967 — Miami (Fla.), Missouri, Rice
1968 — Miami (Fla.), USC, Notre Dame
1969 — Notre Dame, USC, UCLA
1970 — Notre Dame, UCLA, SMU

With the return to nine conference games (which actually was tried by the B1G before in the '70s), the number of non-power conference teams on the schedule will decrease, although thankfully for us Northwestern fans I don't think we'll be going back to the OOC days of old.

lol i had to look it up, but that is not your ooc schedule

Tulsa?
Tulane?

I think he was talking about OSU's future OOC schedules. The Buckeyes have made an honest effort to play at least one power every year including recent home and aways with Texas and USC. Virginia Tech was having some dynamite years when OSU scheduled them.

Future Buckeye OOC schedules include a match up with Oklahoma in 2016 and 2017
TCU in 2018 & 2019
Oregon in 2020 and 2021.
And Notre Dame and Texas in 2022.
Notre Dame, Texas, and B.C. in 2023.

Again, who knows what these teams will look like when it's time to play them but when they were schedules they were decent and in many cases powers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT