ADVERTISEMENT

4 days until kickoff you east coast pizza pie eating heathens :P

keep-calm-only-5-days-to-go.png

keep-calm-and-bow-down-to-washington-1.jpg

Reactions: MADHAT1
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...st-to-face-uncertainty-on-defense-at-rutgers/
Huskies don’t know what awaits them in road opener against Rutgers

157894_JA_HuskiesKnights_1596-640x427.jpg
"UW coaches have spent time looking at Louisville’s 2015 offense."
“The first games are always tough,” UW coach Chris Petersen said.
"More puzzling is what kind of plays Rutgers will be running."

Hopefully, the lack of familiarity and the element of surprise works to RU's advantage. But it is still football, and trench warfare will dictate the game.

Reactions: Alaska_Dawg
"UW coaches have spent time looking at Louisville’s 2015 offense."
“The first games are always tough,” UW coach Chris Petersen said.
"More puzzling is what kind of plays Rutgers will be running."

Hopefully, the lack of familiarity and the element of surprise works to RU's advantage. But it is still football, and trench warfare will dictate the game.
This game has me worried. West coast teams have a horrible track record playing on the east coast not to mention the fact Arizona took Washington into OT last year and that was Washington's first road game of the season.

This game has me worried. West coast teams have a horrible track record playing on the east coast not to mention the fact Arizona took Washington into OT last year and that was Washington's first road game of the season.
That is kind of you, and I predicted a Rutgers win (17-16), but as we have discussed, my biggest fear is Petersen is going to run Gaskin down RU's throat and then open up the pass game. Our linebacker corps is still young and thin. We'll see what our DL brings to the table. UW is a solid team, and should be playing for the PAC-12 championship and make the CFP.

That is kind of you, and I predicted a Rutgers win (17-16), but as we have discussed, my biggest fear is Petersen is going to run Gaskin down RU's throat and then open up the pass game. Our linebacker corps is still young and thin. We'll see what our DL brings to the table. UW is a solid team, and should be playing for the PAC-12 championship and make the CFP.
I think the run game will be more prominent in Washington's offense due to a few reasons. The main one being Browning was off his game during this camp. He was picked off several times by new guys.

I think the run game will be more prominent in Washington's offense due to a few reasons. The main one being Browning was off his game during this camp. He was picked off several times by new guys.
If Browning is off, he may still be nursing the shoulder, and Petersen is not going to risk him in the first game against an opponent they are favored to beat my 31 points.

If Browning is off, he may still be nursing the shoulder, and Petersen is not going to risk him in the first game against an opponent they are favored to beat my 31 points.
That's why Petersen will rely more on the run. He has Gaskin, Coleman, McGrew, and Ahmed and all four of those guys can run.

Reactions: Knight Shift
For fun, I looked in a book I had that was published in 2016, and here are some ATS (Against The Spread) stats on Petersen's record as a head coach from his first two years. These aren't straight up numbers, but how his team did ATS. The book I have doesn't include last season, so Ash's numbers aren't in here. Mercifully.

Overall ATS Record: 15-12 (55.56%)
Away ATS Record: 7-4 (63.64%)
ATS Record when favored by 14+ points: 2-3 (40%)
OOC ATS Record: 5-4 (55.56%)
First game of season ATS: 2-1* (66.67%) *I included their win versus us last year.

Washington lost 3 DB's to the NFL, gotta test them early. Split out Harris, Grant, Bo, and Damon.

CB: Byron Murphy, freshman (RS)
FS: Taylor Rapp, sophomore
SS: Jojo McIntosh, junior (RS)
CB: Jordan Miller, junior
Nickel: Myles Bryant, sophomore

Considering what a strength the secondary was last season, it’s understandable to be somewhat concerned with the inexperience of this group. However, Byron Murphy has a ton of talent despite his inexperience. What’s more, this group as a whole is versatile and talented. It could all come down to just staying composed and mistake-free given the lack of burn everyone outside of Jojo McIntosh has seen.

Washington lost 3 DB's to the NFL, gotta test them early. Split out Harris, Grant, Bo, and Damon.

CB: Byron Murphy, freshman (RS)
FS: Taylor Rapp, sophomore
SS: Jojo McIntosh, junior (RS)
CB: Jordan Miller, junior
Nickel: Myles Bryant, sophomore

Considering what a strength the secondary was last season, it’s understandable to be somewhat concerned with the inexperience of this group. However, Byron Murphy has a ton of talent despite his inexperience. What’s more, this group as a whole is versatile and talented. It could all come down to just staying composed and mistake-free given the lack of burn everyone outside of Jojo McIntosh has seen.
Byron Murphy .... he's the cream of the crop out of those players you listed. He's NFL bound as soon as he's eligible.

Reactions: Rokodesh
We could see a much improved overall RU team but not a great difference in the final outcome. Washington just has so many weapons and is so balanced on offense, probably #1 or #2 on the schedule along with PSU, that even if you can somewhat neutralize one facet they can still beat you relying on the other. I also believe their defensive front is very strong and will give many teams fits this year.

Bolen or whoever is going to have to be extremely efficient in the short passing game. I look at what I know about him as something of a Ryan Hart clone. He's going to need 60%+ to help keep Washington's O off the field as much as possible and RU's Rush and DB's will have to make a lot of plays to keep it close.

Dawg, you guys thin at MLB with Victor and Beavers out?
What about your DB who was suspended? Was he a starter?
And the TE who broke his leg and is out-a contributor for this year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT