ADVERTISEMENT

4 days until kickoff you east coast pizza pie eating heathens :P

Any Halibut there? Always wanted to try that as a fluker.
They have decent halibut fishing in the Straight of Juan de Fuca and off the coast.

4451002.jpg

Reactions: cicero grimes
I never understood that west to east excuse. If anything eastern teams going west.. especially for night games.. is a huge disadvantage.

It is known that you are at your physical and mental peak fairly close to "morning" for you, all things being equal regarding nutrition and sleep.

Assuming football games in the east begin anywhere from Noon to 8PM.. that is 9AM to 5PM for a "Pacific Time" player, with games finishing maybe 4 hours later.. 1PM to 8PM (Pacific Time). Whereas that same case for an Eastern Time player becomes 3PM to 11PM and ending 7PM to 2AM.

Its no contest. West Coast teams playing on the East Coast for HOME and HOME have an ADVANTAGE.

Agreed... we likely had a tougher time going out there than they'll have coming back here.... though peak performance is in the late afternoon, not the morning. So, an 8pm game for us will feel more like a 5pm game for the Huskies... putting them more in their circadian peak.

"An analysis of 5 years of game data from the NFL, NBA, and NHL showed that basketball teams travelling from western to eastern time zones had a significantly greater winning percentage than teams traveling in the opposite direction. There were also trends in the same direction for football and hockey teams, although they fell short of statistical significance.

And a separate examination of the impact of turnovers and injuries on winning percentage over a single season in the NFL also found pro football teams based in the west to have a winning advantage when crossing the country to play, after adjusting for other factors.

"Accumulating evidence suggests that, in the same way home field advantage influences the probability of success, so too does the circadian advantage and its direction with an advantage for teams traveling eastward," said researcher Dominique Dagenais, BSc, of the Université du Quebec en Outaouais, Gatineau.

Dagenais told MedPage Today that athletic performance tends to peak in the late afternoon and that players traveling from the west to the east appear to play more games closer to their circadian peaks."

"The circadian advantage among West Coast teams was greatest when away games in the east were played at night, while East Coast teams playing on the West Coast had a higher probability of winning games played during the day."

https://www.medpagetoday.com/meetingcoverage/apss/58591

Reactions: ruready07
Too bad you can't make it, but you'll be able to eat healthier going forward. Pizza with extra cheese doesn't require much chomping, just swallowing.
We'll see how things pan out for the game, but I think we need a sign from the football gods to have a real chance. If only there was going to be some sort of universal event like an eclipse, I'd feel better. Oh well !

Reactions: DirtyRU
I wish I was but it came down to flying out for the game or getting my teeth fixed (no insurance atm). I was looking forward to going to this game ... mainly for hitting the local food joints.
I am sorry to hear that. Hope it works out with the dental. I was looking forward to you coming to my tailgate in the yellow lot. I was going to bring real pizza for you.

Reactions: Alaska_Dawg
Rutgers is expected to lose big against #4 Washington and can pull out all the stops.

This is the season opener for both teams and each has new players in the mix....Anything can happen.

Rutgers is improved at QB, Janarion Grant is back, and the defense seems much improved.

Alaska Dawg, are you going to be at the game?

If Rutgers finds a way to upset Washington in Piscataway (see Louisville, Michigan), will you become a pizza pie eating heathen too?

I wish I was but it came down to flying out for the game or getting my teeth fixed (no insurance atm). I was looking forward to going to this game ... mainly for hitting the local food joints.

Fly to Costa Rica, Guatemala, etc, get your teeth fixed for a small fraction what it will cost wherever you are in the USA, and have enough left over for a week beach vacation.

"Did you know that dental tourism accounts for nearly half of all medical travel? Last year some 800,000 Americans crossed borders (mostly to Mexico and Costa Rica) for dental care, while more than 5 million patients traveled to destinations all over the globe to fix up their choppers."
https://patientsbeyondborders.com/procedure/dentistry

Agreed... we likely had a tougher time going out there than they'll have coming back here.... though peak performance is in the late afternoon, not the morning. So, an 8pm game for us will feel more like a 5pm game for the Huskies... putting them more in their circadian peak.

I found this..

It basically says early risers and normal risers hit peak about 6 hours after waking... but late risers, the call "owls" hit peak 11 hours after waking. But they also say most athletes are "larks".. early risers. So assuming its 6AM-7AM rise.. that's 12-1 for peak.. so you are right either way.

http://dujs.dartmouth.edu/2015/02/time-of-day-affects-athletic-performance/#.WZdyPCiGMuU

Fly to Costa Rica, Guatemala, etc, get your teeth fixed for a small fraction what it will cost wherever you are in the USA, and have enough left over for a week beach vacation.

"Did you know that dental tourism accounts for nearly half of all medical travel? Last year some 800,000 Americans crossed borders (mostly to Mexico and Costa Rica) for dental care, while more than 5 million patients traveled to destinations all over the globe to fix up their choppers."
https://patientsbeyondborders.com/procedure/dentistry
I'm looking into the Philippines. I have a friend who lives there and he's looking into hooking me up with a decent dentist there. I'm needing dental implants in a bad way.

Im not too happy about this. This is supposed to be one of the advantages of playing cross-country teams - its borderline hilarious that UW will be performing during their peak hours while we won't be, lol.
The schedulers forked us good here.

I'm looking into the Philippines. I have a friend who lives there and he's looking into hooking me up with a decent dentist there. I'm needing dental implants in a bad way.

hey Dawg,
whats the injury/arrest report looking like for you guys? We have guys in green jerseys all over the joint right now. No arrests for us though, Ash has the program squeaky clean again, thankfully

hey Dawg,
whats the injury/arrest report looking like for you guys? We have guys in green jerseys all over the joint right now. No arrests for us though, Ash has the program squeaky clean again, thankfully
No arrest since coach Petersen was hired. Washington doesn't get much action in the arrest dept. Not sure why tbh ... it's pretty boring in that regard.

I see this as a potential trap game for Washington....here is why.....
(1) Game one, on the road, on the east coast
(2) Washington returns basically the entire team; watch film that is what you get
(3) Rutgers has a completely new office; new OC, QB, WRs, TE & RB....no film to study
(4) Rutgers Secondary should control Washington's passing given speedy is gone making it tougher for QB
(5) the lopsided win last year is misleading....
(6) we will need a few breaks to win but I expecting Rutgers to beat the spread of 26.5pts

yes I use drugs heavily :)

Dawg, you guys lost a ton in the secondary. Will the new DB's be fully up to speed for the first game?
This game is going to be rough on them. They are young and its going to show. Hopefully they get up to speed by the time conference play opens up .. 4th game of the season @ Colorado.

I see this as a potential trap game for Washington....here is why.....
(1) Game one, on the road, on the east coast
(2) Washington returns basically the entire team; watch film that is what you get
(3) Rutgers has a completely new office; new OC, QB, WRs, TE & RB....no film to study
(4) Rutgers Secondary should control Washington's passing given speedy is gone making it tougher for QB
(5) the lopsided win last year is misleading....
(6) we will need a few breaks to win but I expecting Rutgers to beat the spread of 26.5pts

yes I use drugs heavily :)
http://scout.com/college/washington...Expecting-Rutgers-Head-Coach-Chris--106407827
Washington OC Expecting Ash To Pull Some Surprises
Jonathan Smith very aware that Rutgers will throw plenty of wrinkles at the Huskies.

Was hoping your OC would have talked more about the game, even if it was just coach-speak. The graph above, which you posted, made me more optimistic about the game and that we can make a game of it, or at least not get blown out.
There will probably be more talking about the game from the coaches later on this week would be my guess. Right now they're wrapped up in camp.

I'm curious if Kill goes back to being a HC or if his health will prevent that from happening.

He is only 55, so there are years left in the tank for other endeavors. If he has some success here, there will be decisions to make. If he is that good for Rutgers, I hope he decides to take it easy on himself and stick around for a while.

I'm curious if Kill goes back to being a HC or if his health will prevent that from happening.
I know Bill Synder wants his son to replace him when he retires from Kansas State, but thinking with Kill being involved with that program last season, that might be the type of program he's go after if and when he decides his health can take being a HC again
I feel taking the RU OC position is a way he testing his health in case he wants to be a HC again.

I think if Kill wanted to be a head coach, he'd be one right now.

When the B1G network camp tour crew said to Jerry that he looked really good and asked if he was doing anything special for his health, he said "Yeah ... not being a head coach anymore".

Boy I sure hope we have some new wrinkles to show this year with Kill at the offensive helm. We didn't have many last year.
Job number one for Kill was to coach up the O line enough to be more competitive than last year. If he succeeded with that, we have a chance to execute some wrinkles (old and/or new). Otherwise... not so much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT