ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022-23 NHL thread….Devils & Rangers & Islanders

Don’t remember too many fights if any but John Madden was a tough SOB. Need someone to link his playoff face with stitches
Bingo.

Some here just don't understand what it means to be tough in hockey. They only understand tired cliches.

The NHL is absolutely loaded with tough guys, playing thru incredible pain and injury.
In no other sport is "spittin' Chicklets" a thing. How many guys in another sport would get stiches during a break and return to play?

The only comparable thing I can think of is Schilling having a tendon stitched up to pitch in the playoffs. I wouldn't be shocked if he grew up playing hockey 😂😂😂

In no other sport is "spittin' Chicklets" a thing. How many guys in another sport would get stiches during a break and return to play?

The only comparable thing I can think of is Schilling having a tendon stitched up to pitch in the playoffs. I wouldn't be shocked if he grew up playing hockey 😂😂😂
Bottom line is no one is returning to the field of play without their injuries being numbed up.
The only key is the Doctors agreeing the injury can’t get any worse

Nah but you’re entitled to another flawed opinion (you have cornered that market ITT)

Overall NA tougher but my point is that Euros aren’t soft as a whole anymore
The league has gotten softer but euros have just gotten tougher? Come on lol. Give examples of how the euros have gotten tougher compare to prior generations.

Intersting @mikemarc1 . But in your opinion if you need to sign 1-2 UFA’s or make trades your future cant be bright…

Vegas had ONE draft pick of their own playing on their team.

It was Nic Hauge (2nd rounder) who was literally their 6th defenseman.

Their line up was this

Barbashev (trade) Eichel (trade) JAM (Expansion)

Howden (trade) Stephenson (Trade) Stone (Trade)

Smith (Expansion) Karlsson (Expansion) Amadio (UFA)

Carrier (Expansion) Roy (Trade) Kolesar (Trade)

Martinez (Trade) Pietriangelo (UFA)
McNabb (Expansion) Theodore (Expansion)
Hauge (Draft!) Whitecloud (UDFA)

Intersting @mikemarc1 . But in your opinion if you need to sign 1-2 UFA’s or make trades your future cant be bright…

Vegas had ONE draft pick of their own playing on their team.

It was Nic Hauge (2nd rounder) who was literally their 6th defenseman.

Their line up was this

Barbashev (trade) Eichel (trade) JAM (Expansion)

Howden (trade) Stephenson (Trade) Stone (Trade)

Smith (Expansion) Karlsson (Expansion) Amadio (UFA)

Carrier (Expansion) Roy (Trade) Kolesar (Trade)

Martinez (Trade) Pietriangelo (UFA)
McNabb (Expansion) Theodore (Expansion)
Hauge (Draft!) Whitecloud (UDFA)

I’ll say again, trades are fine…and for the THIRD TIME already, those aren’t indications your future isn’t bright.

Having a 30 year old average roster and a below average farm ARE why teams futures aren’t bright

I’ll say again, trades are fine…and for the THIRD TIME already, those aren’t indications your future isn’t bright.

Having a 30 year old average roster and a below average farm ARE why teams futures aren’t bright
Saying trades are fine but ufa isnt when youve been stressing the importance of assets is contradictory. Not sure youve realized that.

You do realize assests get you trades, right? Hence they’re important
You realize ufa’s get you those same caliber players without giving up assets, right? Very odd take by you here that trades giving up assets are fine but signing ufa’s without giving up assets arent fine haha.

You realize ufa’s get you those same caliber players without giving up assets, right? Very odd take by you here that trades giving up assets are fine but signing ufa’s without giving up assets arent fine haha.

What do you mean “fine”…?

Signing UFAs for your whole 1st is absolutely fine..though in my opinion proves that there’s very little currently in your system and your future as it is now is pretty mehhh.

You wouldn’t need this stud UFAs if you have stud prospect pool.

What do you mean “fine”…?

Signing UFAs for your whole 1st is absolutely fine..though in my opinion proves that there’s very little currently in your system and your future as it is now is pretty mehhh.

You wouldn’t need this stud UFAs if you have stud prospect pool.
Rangers, like most teams that werent irrelevant for a decade dont have a ton of top tier prospects in their system. But they have a 21 year old 1st overall pick and a 22 year old 2nd overall. And a 23 year old 1st round pick who are all top 6 players. Perrault will be a top 6 forward and othmann is a middle 6 forward himself. So filling 1-2 roster spots with UFA’s is more than fine. Any team that wasnt a doormat for a decade does.

And bottom 6 guys in the system are berard, cuylle, sykora and mcconnell barker. Pair that will trocheck in 3 years being a solid 3rd line center, mika being a solid 2C at that point, and the blueline and goalie being tremendous future is very bright.

Rangers, like most teams that werent irrelevant for a decade dont have a ton of top tier prospects in their system. But they have a 21 year old 1st overall pick and a 22 year old 2nd overall. And a 23 year old 1st round pick who are all top 6 players. Perrault will be a top 6 forward and othmann is a middle 6 forward himself. So filling 1-2 roster spots with UFA’s is more than fine. Any team that wasnt a doormat for a decade does.

And bottom 6 guys in the system are berard, cuylle, sykora and mcconnell barker. Pair that will trocheck in 3 years being a solid 3rd line center, mika being a solid 2C at that point, and the blueline and goalie being tremendous future is very bright.

They're 22nd ranked system...i'd say meehhhh. agree to disagree.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
They're 22nd ranked system...i'd say meehhhh. agree to disagree.
naturally your pool ranking goes down when your prospects come up. Rangers have one of the best young cores in hockey.

Like when luke, holtz and nemec (if he's ready) make the roster this year the devs pool looks like shit. Just like when Igor, Georgiev, Fox, Lindgren, Kandre, Schneider, Laff, Kakko aren't prospects and make the roster then your poll gets depleted.

you're average age is 30!!!! hahah. You don't have a young core.

Devils ranking was 5th with Holtz and Luke called up. They're fine.

you're average age is 30!!!! hahah. You don't have a young core.

Devils ranking was 5th with Holtz and Luke called up. They're fine.
Devs are 6th now with luke and holtz counted towards prospects. The 30 is misleading, but you realize that. 4 guys signed in their 30’s to one year deals who will be replaced next season by guys ages 20-22. I didnt even mentioned garand because although hes highly thought of, I see him going to cam talbot route here

sure, your20-22 guys will be called up, but again, they're nothing special...why the prospect pool is ranked 22nd.

and you KNOW they're nothing special cause you are dying for them to sign Eichel, Kaprizov and and McDavid who will be approacing 30 when their contracts are up.

If these aged 20 to 22 players were thought of as first liners, you'd have no room for these signing you seem to so desperately want....

Again, can we PLEASE agree to disagree?

sure, your20-22 guys will be called up, but again, they're nothing special...why the prospect pool is ranked 22nd.

and you KNOW they're nothing special cause you are dying for them to sign Eichel, Kaprizov and and McDavid who will be approacing 30 when their contracts are up.

If these aged 20 to 22 players were thought of as first liners, you'd have no room for these signing you seem to so desperately want....

Again, can we PLEASE agree to disagree?
Yes theyre not top 25 players in the world lol.

Again, unless youve been a total doormat and irrelevant for a decade youre not stacking 1st line forwards in your system.

The devs would sign mcdavid, kaprizov and eichel too if they could who are you kidding. Mcdavid is the best player in the sports history and kaprizov is better than any winger on the devils. This aint complicated. They just wouldnt come to the devs which is why you have to part with assets to get guys to come then on top of that pay top dollar to them.

But again, just pointing out, unless your team is a total dumpster fire for a decade then your draft picks will mostly be 2nd to 4th liners as well as 2nd and 3rd pair dmen. We lucked out with kandre and got a first pair talent in the 20’s.

Yes theyre not top 25 players in the world lol.

Again, unless youve been a total doormat and irrelevant for a decade youre not stacking 1st line forwards in your system.

The devs would sign mcdavid, kaprizov and eichel too if they could who are you kidding. Mcdavid is the best player in the sports history and kaprizov is better than any winger on the devils. This aint complicated. They just wouldnt come to the devs which is why you have to part with assets to get guys to come then on top of that pay top dollar to them.

But again, just pointing out, unless your team is a total dumpster fire for a decade then your draft picks will mostly be 2nd to 4th liners as well as 2nd and 3rd pair dmen. We lucked out with kandre and got a first pair talent in the 20’s.

1000% agree…I posted a few days ago that most recent cop champs were dumpster fires. Most built through the draft and trades.

If you’re happy with making the playoffs each year by adding thru FA…fine, but again that rarely works.

Rangers, Yankees..same things. Owners are fine just getting extra playoff games. I think it’s most wise for rangers to stop doing that and rebuild again.

1000% agree…I posted a few days ago that most recent cop champs were dumpster fires. Most built through the draft and trades.

If you’re happy with making the playoffs each year by adding thru FA…fine, but again that rarely works.

Rangers, Yankees..same things. Owners are fine just getting extra playoff games. I think it’s most wise for rangers to stop doing that and rebuild again.
When was tampa last a dumpster fire? Vegas? The past 10 cups

Vegas- has never been a dumpster fire
Colorado - yes they tanked and rebuilt
Tampa - 4 total below .500 seasons in the past 20 years and one was the lockout year
Tampa-
St louis - 4 total below .500 seasons this century and 3 of those those seasons COMBINED below .500 record was by only 5 TOTAL games below .500.
Caps - 4 total below .500 seasons this century and last one prior to this year was 2006-2007
Pens- had 3 total seasons of losing records prior to getting crosby. Havent had a below .500 record since
Pens
Blackhawks- burned it down to the studs and were a dumpster fire pre kane and toews, this and avs are youre only ones that holds water
Kings- never really rebuilt

Your take doesnt hold much water. Very bright future for nyr with how theyre built. Young vezina, norris and 3 top 6 forwards age 23 and below

Last edited by a moderator:
Carolina is my pick to win the cup. Bunting, Lemieux and Tony DeAngelo are gonna bring some serious juice to an already good team

Carolina is my pick to win the cup. Bunting, Lemieux and Tony DeAngelo are gonna bring some serious juice to an already good team
IMO - That’s not what they needed last year or will need this year. They are a great TEAM. With a great coach. Sometimes that is enough. But, those sort of teams can get throttled by a hot goalie (NYR) or a hot team (FLA). They need some bonafide scoring threats. As good as they are, Svech and Aho are not cutting it. Not sure who will be available, but I think they will go all in for a rental sniper at the TDL.

Way too early 23-24 prediction - all Canadian Finals: EDM vs. TOR. Goes 7. OT. Coin flip.

IMO - That’s not what they needed last year or will need this year. They are a great TEAM. With a great coach. Sometimes that is enough. But, those sort of teams can get throttled by a hot goalie (NYR) or a hot team (FLA). They need some bonafide scoring threats. As good as they are, Svech and Aho are not cutting it. Not sure who will be available, but I think they will go all in for a rental sniper at the TDL.

Way too early 23-24 prediction - all Canadian Finals: EDM vs. TOR. Goes 7. OT. Coin flip.
They needed some pricks. They got some pricks. The rangers are still too many soft euro pussies. They desperately need guys like cuylle and othmann with some jam in the lineup but othmann is best served with a year in the ahl and cuylle probably is starting in ahl but will come up when pitlick gets hurt.

Realistically I wanted the rangers to get garnet hathaway and noel acciari as well as have cuylle make the roster and trade goodrow but didnt get my wish

They needed some pricks. They got some pricks. The rangers are still too many soft euro pussies. They desperately need guys like cuylle and othmann with some jam in the lineup but othmann is best served with a year in the ahl and cuylle probably is starting in ahl but will come up when pitlick gets hurt.

Realistically I wanted the rangers to get garnet hathaway and noel acciari as well as have cuylle make the roster and trade goodrow but didnt get my wish

Agree to disagree. They had TDA already and it didn’t help, Lemieux has bounced around the league like a spitball with not enough spit to stick anywhere, and while I like Bunting (even though IMO he is a bit overrated) he’s not putting any team over the top. This ain’t Butch Goring we are talking about.

On NYR - the talent is there. Is the will? See, even solving the issue of more jam only gets you so far. If the big boys can’t deliver, and seems more and more obvious that they can’t, then you need to start over. If cups are your thing. Not sure NYR and MSG agree. Just like the Lundqvist years, they are gonna ride this mediocre mule for all it’s worth, lol. Note, “mediocre” is relative. For a team like BUF or ARI, an above avg reg season and couple of PO rounds almost every year is a blessing. For a team like NYR, it’s a curse.

Will Holtz be the 3rd Line RW?
I think they're going to give him every opportunity to win the spot.

On another note it looks like the Devils found themselves a potential stud in the second round:

Hameenaho has been one of the best forwards in the tournament.

Edmonton just hired Conor McDavid’s agent (now firmer agent) as CEO.

Immediate thought: McDavid is now an oiler for life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT