ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Another Minor/Moderate,Snow Event on Friday (1/19); Still Some Uncertainty

As of 11:30 am, up to 1.6", so 1.2" per hour rate the last 30 minutes. Snow back to light/moderate level, but the radar looks pretty good for the next hour or so, so 2" looks to be a lock. Amazing how quickly things can change.
You may get that 3.3!!!! You go numbers

Reactions: RU848789
Do you know using it will kill your social credit score
You may understand this. IDGAF, IDGAS. Gotta do what I gotta do. Used the battery powered leafblower, and it worked OK. The gas leafblower works like crap, even after my replacing the carb and fuel filter and spark plug. That's why EV makes more sense ---sometimes, for short jobs.

Just shoveled off about 1-2" of slushy snow from the driveway to keep it clear in case we get fire calls, which almost always seems to happen on a snowy, cold day. That's what us elitists do in our spare time. 😜

No sun poking through in South Monmouth. Coming down at a good clip still. I hope @RU848789 is jelly.

You may get that 3.3!!!! You go numbers
It's at least not out of the realm of possibility now, which I absolutely thought was a pipe dream 2 hours ago, lol. It's like going down by 30 points 8 minutes into the first half, but then cutting the lead down to 17 by the end of the first half. You think you're dead early on, but by halftime you start to think maybe - maybe this is going to be our greatest comeback of all. But it would've been a lot easier if we still had Cam Spencer snowing down 3's.

You may understand this. IDGAF, IDGAS. Gotta do what I gotta do. Used the battery powered leafblower, and it worked OK. The gas leafblower works like crap, even after my replacing the carb and fuel filter and spark plug. That's why EV makes more sense ---sometimes, for short jobs.

Just shoveled off about 1-2" of slushy snow from the driveway to keep it clear in case we get fire calls, which almost always seems to happen on a snowy, cold day. That's what us elitists do in our spare time. 😜

No sun poking through in South Monmouth. Coming down at a good clip still. I hope @RU848789 is jelly.
I was before, but not right now, but probably will be again later, when you have 6" and we have 2-3". Actually, I root for everyone to get snow (if they like snow - and on the weather boards that's almost everyone, lol), as I like to share in the fun.

As of 11:30 am, up to 1.6", so 1.2" per hour rate the last 30 minutes. Snow back to light/moderate level, but the radar looks pretty good for the next hour or so, so 2" looks to be a lock. Amazing how quickly things can change.
And as of noon, we're at 1.8", so about 0.4" per hour the last 30 min, as intensity has let up with a dry patch, but the radar looks pretty good for at least the next 30 minutes, so we'll get to 2" soon. Based on the inverted trough looking to set up in SEPA/SNJ near Philly, I doubt we'll get beyond 3", but even with light snow much of the day 3" is possible. Still 29F so everything is accumulating even on the roads.

A bit strange it isn't sticking to paved surfaces even with moderate rates. It's January 19th, not March 19th, and it's currently 27 degrees outside after multiple consecutive cold days with snowpack. Doesn't make sense.

He has moved onto Indigo whatever that is
That's one of ROY G BIV's kids. Sixth one. Let's see who knows WTF this refers to. I'm sure @RU848789 knows.

Not sticking to patches I shoveled off driveway. Don't have a decent outside thermometer, but NEWS12NJ meteorology guy who looks like he is 20 years old said at Bay Head temps are creeping to 32 and above, and that should keep the shoveling to a minimum.

A bit strange it isn't sticking to paved surfaces even with moderate rates. It's January 19th, not March 19th, and it's currently 27 degrees outside after multiple consecutive cold days with snowpack. Doesn't make sense.

Likely because roads have been heavily treated for a few days
.29 very marginal too...i thought it was supposed to be colder

Sun angle in January a factor with light snow

Reactions: Knight Shift
That's one of ROY G BIV's kids. Sixth one. Let's see who knows WTF this refers to. I'm sure @RU848789 knows.

Not sticking to patches I shoveled off driveway. Don't have a decent outside thermometer, but NEWS12NJ meteorology guy who looks like he is 20 years old said at Bay Head temps are creeping to 32 and above, and that should keep the shoveling to a minimum.

Is this an inside joke for the 60 plus crowd?

Yes i know roy g biv too

+1
We essentially have nothing here. Absolutely nothing. The roads, sidewalks, and driveways are clear. But the schools are closed thanks to Murphy and Mount Holly.

Reactions: bac2therac

My 2nd favorite mnemonic, after see hopkins cafe mighty good

Reactions: Knight Shift
Are you talking about major highways/treated roads with traffic? I wouldn't expect much on those, but every local road in town here is snow covered even the treated one in front of our house (it gets a lot less traffic then Route 27 2 blocks away, which is just slushy. Or did you not get enough intensity to overcome even the lesser melting from indirect mid-Jan sun? Getting that initial snow layer is critical and that requires at least some decent intensity for 20-30 min, but once that occurs, everything will accumulate, since the new "surface" is 32F snow and not slightly above 32F road surface warmed by the indirect sun.

Are you talking about major highways/treated roads with traffic? I wouldn't expect much on those, but every local road in town here is snow covered even the treated one in front of our house (it gets a lot less traffic then Route 27 2 blocks away, which is just slushy.

Not in my parts..roads were heavily treated because of all the ice

Are you talking about major highways/treated roads with traffic? I wouldn't expect much on those, but every local road in town here is snow covered even the treated one in front of our house (it gets a lot less traffic then Route 27 2 blocks away, which is just slushy. Or did you not get enough intensity to overcome even the lesser melting from indirect mid-Jan sun? Getting that initial snow layer is critical and that requires at least some decent intensity for 20-30 min, but once that occurs, everything will accumulate, since the new "surface" is 32F snow and not slightly above 32F road surface warmed by the indirect sun.
Here in Ringoes things stuck immediately, then as rate intensified things accumulated on driveways sidewalks grass etc but the roads quickly melted. Maybe they did a treatment pass I didn't catch, but it's just interesting. Temp never got above 27.5. Birds are also out chirping in this moderate band.

Just under 2.25 inches on the board, looks like we will slightly overperform from my original 1-2" call.

Wow, somehow Piscataway missed everything. No accumulation anywhere, cars have light dusting. Haven’t had any heavy bands, not even moderate

Reactions: bac2therac
Here in Ringoes things stuck immediately, then as rate intensified things accumulated on driveways sidewalks grass etc but the roads quickly melted. Maybe they did a treatment pass I didn't catch, but it's just interesting. Temp never got above 27.5. Birds are also out chirping in this moderate band.

Just under 2.25 inches on the board, looks like we will slightly overperform from my original 1-2" call.
Remember, it doesn't matter what falls, just what sticks and needs to be cleared. :)

And as of noon, we're at 1.8", so about 0.4" per hour the last 30 min, as intensity has let up with a dry patch, but the radar looks pretty good for at least the next 30 minutes, so we'll get to 2" soon. Based on the inverted trough looking to set up in SEPA/SNJ near Philly, I doubt we'll get beyond 3", but even with light snow much of the day 3" is possible. Still 29F so everything is accumulating even on the roads.
As of 12:30 pm we hit the 2.0" mark, which is nice. That was 0.4"/hr the last 30 minutes. Coming down moderately, still with beautiful dendrites. I've never tried to measure snow ratios before, but I might give it a try, as I think we're probably in the 15:1 or more neighborhood. Gorgeous. And the radar still looks pretty good for the next 30 min. Still 29F. 3" is now on the table (figuratively).

Wow, somehow Piscataway missed everything. No accumulation anywhere, cars have light dusting. Haven’t had any heavy bands, not even moderate
A friend in P'way just said he had 1.4" - Pway has definitely missed the best bands (I watch the radar a lot, lol), but not all of them. Snow holes happen though. For the last storm we also get a bit lucky as NB to Metuchen got 2-2.5", while areas 5 miles NW of that line from Pway to Westfield reported more like 1.5". At least it's not as bad as summertime t-storms where one town can get 1/2" of rain in a 30-minute shower, which is equivalent to 5" of snow, while one town over remains dry, but nobody complains about that, lol. But it does show why t-storms are literally impossible to predict (mostly due to the atmosphere being about 8X more energetic at 30C vs. 0C with nearly 8X more moisture available at that temp- an adapted version of the Arrhenius equation which implies that energy/moisture double with every 10C rise in temp)

is it realistic to expect the snow to be done by 5? wondering when to fire up the snowblower and take care of this before it freezes into an awful crust.

2 inches in Philadelphia, started at 6:30, so not impressive. The bullseye has moved to the East. East of 295 to the interior of the Shore counties looks like it's going to get the most. The major roads appear great so far

plow just came thru my neighborhood...other folks are starting to clear their driveways. looks like a couple inches on paved surfaces here.

About 2.5" now and still coming down at a moderate clip. Our residential road with patchy accumulation. Raritan Twp does a great job on residential roads, even our low traffic cul-de-sac. Residual salt still on roads.

Reactions: Joey Bags
is it realistic to expect the snow to be done by 5? wondering when to fire up the snowblower and take care of this before it freezes into an awful crust.
it's very unlikely to freeze into a crust, since it has very low moisture content, so I wouldn't worry about timing much, unless you put salt onto the snow.

As of 12:30 pm we hit the 2.0" mark, which is nice. That was 0.4"/hr the last 30 minutes. Coming down moderately, still with beautiful dendrites. I've never tried to measure snow ratios before, but I might give it a try, as I think we're probably in the 15:1 or more neighborhood. Gorgeous. And the radar still looks pretty good for the next 30 min. Still 29F. 3" is now on the table (figuratively).
As of 1:30 pm, we're up to 2.3", so only 0.3" the last hour, but we're now within 1" of my early prediction, which I wouldn't have thought would happen just 4 hours ago. Snowing more lightly now and the radar isn't as impressive, so we might only get another 1/2" or so if these bands don't start building back in. Still 29F.

Just got home from Piscataway. Nothing was sticking in Piscataway today were I worked. Not even on my work van. Got home to Hamilton around 20 minutes ago. Maybe 2.5" here + or - .5" is my estimate. I does not seem to be sticking that well as the roads were heavily treated for the previous storm. Side roads are obviously more covered then the main roads. The areas I shoveled the snow just seems to be melting now when it lands there.

Looks like this system is ending a lot earlier than expected. It's cleared Pottstown already and the heaviest band is now moved east over the South Jersey shore towns.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT