ADVERTISEMENT

OT: B1G additions

Having page won’t load errors in Rivals with Chrome and Edge on any device so haven’t posted much. Safari seems to work on my Apple devices but don’t like using it.

I agree with the order that’s been mentioned ND, UNC, FSU…others. IMO B10 won’t go over 20 without ND.

I think most schools that are realistic candidates meet any academic requirements because it’s just a minimal bar to cross. I don’t agree with the notion that before markets mattered and now brands matter. It all mattered back then and now as well. I’ve always said it’s all part of mosaic and each school has their own with regards to markets, brand, academics etc and they’re weighed to see if they add value. The media companies drive that and the schools have the final say but are looking for every dollar so often will go along.

I’m still skeptical about how quick it will all resolve unless hundreds of millions are paid out in a settlement, regardless of any issues with discovery.

Eventually I’ve always thought FSU will get into the B10 but timetable is always murky. We’ll see.
absolutely true, Nebraska is a great example of this. Nebraska was sold as a premier brand and not a premier mkt nor a school with stellar academics.

mkts matter, brand matters, and now it's eyeballs generated (hence oregon).

get ready for the warchant up and down and across the country

I figured he was more of a Starbucks guy - make it a venti !!
Have fun with your loser bromance my I have that other idiot in ignore, as he brings nothing bro any conversation except vitriol and insults. Have you more facts and links, but you have nothing. Even Sports Illustrated is not a good source, and you insult that too. When you have nothing to come back with, it's all you have.

Have fun with your loser bromance my I have that other idiot in ignore, as he brings nothing bro any conversation except vitriol and insults. Have you more facts and links, but you have nothing. Even Sports Illustrated is not a good source, and you insult that too. When you have nothing to come back with, it's all you have.
More “I’m putting you two more knowledgeable posters on this subject than me but I’m too stubborn to admit it and accept defeat” threats from our resident expansion expert

FWIW, sports illustrated was an opinion piece touching more on Peruvian poverty than actual expansion related facts.

Congrats - you found one podcast questioning expansion. I can cite 50 that say otherwise

That, a little bit of knowledge of things outside of Piscataway and some common sense would go a long way into educating one how college athletics are run in the 21st century

absolutely true, Nebraska is a great example of this. Nebraska was sold as a premier brand and not a premier mkt nor a school with stellar academics.

We'll have to institutionalize KN to an insane asylum when that happens !!

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Does the Big 10 have one? A school would have to be nuts to leave, shutting down its athletic department or not leaving by choice.
Yes. But why would a school opt to fight it to leave? That would be insane

I don't see a scenario where Miami isn't in the P2 within this next wave
Unless ND joins I don’t see the B10 going over 20.

I don’t know that the SEC would want Miami either.

The B12 isn’t a landing spot and is comparable to the ACC. If anything down the line I wouldn’t be surprised to see UCF and WVU come back towards the ACC which provides a better geographic fit.

Miami is too big a brand to be left out. They will be OK. I could see Pitt and Louisville to the Big 12. Both make sense there. What's left of the ACC will not be very desirable from a football standpoint. Think high academic but inferior athletics type programs constituting of those ACC schools left behind like Wake, Duke, BC, Cuse, and add the service academies, plus Rice, Tulane and schools of that ilk to backfill

Miami is too big a brand to be left out. They will be OK. I could see Pitt and Louisville to the Big 12. Both make sense there. What's left of the ACC will not be very desirable from a football standpoint. Think high academic but inferior athletics type programs constituting of those ACC schools left behind like Wake, Duke, BC, Cuse, and add the service academies, plus Rice, Tulane and schools of that ilk to backfill
That’s the thing I don’t see any of the leftovers of the ACC moving to the B12. It’s comparable and unwanted schools just like the B12. There’s nothing special about the B12 to draw anyone there.

The ACC will still have their chance at playoff spot (top 5 instead of current top 6 champs) just like the B12 and money won’t be any better in the B12 either. It’ll likely be negligible either way.

Like I said if I see any movement it’s UCF and WVU to the east coast rather than any of the others. Maybe add a UConn as well.

The networks aren’t a bottomless pit of money to pay B10 or SEC per school payouts to just any school that won’t really move the bottom line. Even for the current B10 it’s not easy to move the needle, that’s why Oregon and Wash are only getting 30M now until the next contract.

The bottomless pit of money is with the tech companies. You have to make it attractive enough for them to possibly want a piece even if their weekly selection is down the pecking order. You add a FSU and sure that’s another nice brand name to add to the rest to provide a decent selection of inventory even if you’re farther down the pecking order. But some of these other schools, I don’t think so. I don’t think there are as many open spots in the P2 as some think until a ND is in the mix, specifically for the B10.

Wasn't Nebraska kind of a unique situation though?

They didn't have to bring a market (justify their financials) because they "brought" a conference championship game and associated money?

Not to say FSU doesn't justify Financials (I have no idea), but that people ignore the circumstances around Nebraska.

On the other side, Rutgers had to justify their financials and did so easily (hence why it wasn't some huge risk to invite us).

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Wasn't Nebraska kind of a unique situation though?

They didn't have to bring a market (justify their financials) because they "brought" a conference championship game and associated money?

Not to say FSU doesn't justify Financials (I have no idea), but that people ignore the circumstances around Nebraska.

On the other side, Rutgers had to justify their financials and did so easily (hence why it wasn't some huge risk to invite us).
correct

Nebraska had zero mkt other than brand with eyeballs. Truth be told, if it was today, Nebraska get's left out as they don't even offer the brand any longer. We needed them for the champ game number

95 & others in the mix been hearing chatter from people in the know about SEC coming in last minute and swooping up southern teams bc they don’t want B1G footprint there

Rumor or legit?

95 & others in the mix been hearing chatter from people in the know about SEC coming in last minute and swooping up southern teams bc they don’t want B1G footprint there

Rumor or legit?
I Said this would happen. SEC would be nuts to allow Big 10 to get FSU

I expect FSU and Clemson and maybe Miami to go to SEC and Big 10 will obtain UNC and UVA with Notre Dame being the unknown wild card

I Said this would happen. SEC would be nuts to allow Big 10 to get FSU

I expect FSU and Clemson and maybe Miami to go to SEC and Big 10 will obtain UNC and UVA with Notre Dame being the unknown wild card
It makes sense on so many levels, but I have heard the chatter pick up on it until recently

However, if given the choice, I’d imagine a few of the desired schools would prefer the B1G

Rumor or legit?
rumor from what I gather but will text my guy regardless as I'm planning a trip down there with my son to look at UF and FSU and will meet up with him for a fsu baseball game so need to get that out of way.

this is what I do know;
neither conference can tamper but the lawsuit changes things from a legal perspective.

FSU wants BIG, admins and faculty want it. Means better access to research, larger markets, national focus, academic boost and recruiting profile. UF does NOT want FSU in the SEC under any circumstances and let's face it, BIG already recruits in Fl anyway. Allowing the BIG in Florida doesn't change recruiting at all as FSU already recruits top kids and that is in the ACC. ACC imploding means more kids to pluck. A big concern over nada

UNC is the same, faculty and admins looking north not south. I think I mentioned already that UNC is not a SEC school, way more mason dixon line mix of kids and even Coach Roberts told my mother that back in the 80s

SEC could take nc state and uva but the reality is that sec is beholden to what espn wants to do. espn already told them no to expansion once. NC state fits the SEC more than UNC. NC State is absolutely southern and while they have blips, they won't rock any boats and allow NC mkt expansion. SEC brand immediately elevates their recruiting profile coupled with ACC implosion, you get where it goes. NC state will need a home if UNC is to leave ACC. Both schools going different conferences.

UVA adds nothing to the bottom line for BIG, BIG already owns the largest DMA and population concentration in VA. They would come to BIG with a blockbuster name cause they move the needle in the opposite direction for any tv monies. They need to be a tag along.

ND will never join the sec and if acc implodes, all bets are off. that comes directly from a major booster family at nd (he used to be my boss at Chase and was the one who told me the last expansion that ND wasn't coming while the news outlets were saying 'indications' lol ND wants to play coast to coast which is why they wanted acc expansion. ND will wind down their nbc contract and by 2030, we'll know for sure what they do is my best guess

anything can change but to be honest, I'd be shocked if FSU and UNC are not BIG

I'd love a ND, FSU, UNC, and Texas in a fantasy world.

Also, SEC could go West...crazy times

Definitely no inside info here......... just like to listen to different videos from around 12 different YouTubers give or take. Have been listening for the past 2.5 years so i put more credence on the ones that have been right. Also have stopped listening to a few who seemed to just want clicks. What i have gathered........

FSU : Administration and Boosters want Big10. BIG wants back. Fanbase initially wanted SEC, but a few have started to get hatred towards ESPN/SEC. Have not heard anyone say SEC is in the mix.

UNC : I hear they are leaning SEC. Their next Chancellor might indicate which way they are truly leaning. Since their previous one left for Michigan St. He apparently was a Big10 lean.

Clemson : Does nothing for the SEC. Would only come as a 2nd to FSU if Big10 Struck out with UNC and ND remained stubborn. Although Miami seems to be ahead of Clemson in this scenario. Also a general consensus is that they are a long shot, but in a world where SEC takes UVA and UNC, there is a slight chance Clemson tags along.

UVA : crickets aside from going in as a 2nd to UNC if they went to the SEC. I guess an outside chance as a partner to FSU, but Miami and Clemson appear to be ahead.

Miami :Does nothing for the SEC. Would only come as a 2nd to FSU if Big10 Struck out with UNC and ND remained stubborn. Miami appears to be the pick over Clemson.

G-Tech : No one is saying the Big10 is leaning here aside from people who want a cupcake (in lieu of Miami or Clemson) and say that the Atlanta market is big.

Things to keep in mind:
* all are new markets to the BIG in addition to brands
* only NC and VA is a new market to the SEC. Ergo, FSU brings more $$ to the Big10 than to the SEC. If SEC somehow goes UNC, UVA, Clemson, and FSU for defense - Big10 can still go Miami/GT/(an NC or VA school) as a 2nd to ND when they realize that ACC is not viable. So defense dilutes the SEC plus BIG still has some options.
* FSU is pissed at ESPN. Some do not want to be a 2nd to UF. Most like the appeal of National Conference.
* There is some chatter that NC State and UNC are tied at the hip. There are some skeptical on this.
* There is some chatter that Virginia Tech and UVA are tied at the hip. This one seems more likely which will impact if a Virginia team is taken. For example, if UNC is top SEC target, they might might skip VA and go with both NC schools.
* BIG and SEC not tag teaming. So it isn't like BIG takes UNC/UVA while SEC takes NCSt and VTech. SEC knows what BIG wants. SEC can play defense by going all in on UNC since they know BIG would not be too happy about NC State or Duke.

No one believes that this will occur post 2030. In other words, if FSU loses their legal battles, their worst case is waiting a few more years, but they will pay to leave prior to 2030.

If things continue the current trends, it appears....

SEC takes 2 schools UNC + UVA/NC State. There is a world where they take 4, but it dilutes them since it would just be to play defense or as a result of state politics requiring V-Tech or NCSt.

Big10 takes FSU + Miami with Clemson/UVA/NC school less likely unless somehow ND gives up on independence early. There is a world where Big10 takes 4, but the general consensus is that unless it is FSU, UNC, ND and a 4th, that the BIG will play it slow.

Last edited:
Definitely no inside info here......... just like to listen to different videos from around 12 different YouTubers give or take. Have been listening for the past 2.5 years so i put more credence on the ones that have been right. Also have stopped listening to a few who seemed to just want clicks. What i have gathered........

FSU : Administration and Boosters want Big10. BIG wants back. Fanbase initially wanted SEC, but a few have started to get hatred towards ESPN/SEC. Have not heard anyone say SEC is in the mix.

UNC : I hear they are leaning SEC. Their next Chancellor might indicate which way they are truly leaning. Since their previous one left for Michigan St. He apparently was a Big10 lean.

Clemson : Does nothing for the SEC. Would only come as a 2nd to FSU if Big10 Struck out with UNC and ND remained stubborn. Although Miami seems to be ahead of Clemson in this scenario. Also a general consensus is that they are a long shot, but in a world where SEC takes UVA and UNC, there is a slight chance Clemson tags along.

UVA : crickets aside from going in as a 2nd to UNC if they went to the SEC. I guess an outside chance as a partner to FSU, but Miami and Clemson appear to be ahead.

Miami :Does nothing for the SEC. Would only come as a 2nd to FSU if Big10 Struck out with UNC and ND remained stubborn. Miami appears to be the pick over Clemson.

G-Tech : No one is saying the Big10 is leaning here aside from people who want a cupcake (in lieu of Miami or Clemson) and say that the Atlanta market is big.

Things to keep in mind:
* all are new markets to the BIG in addition to brands
* only NC and VA is a new market to the SEC. Ergo, FSU brings more $$ to the Big10 than to the SEC. If SEC somehow goes UNC, UVA, Clemson, and FSU for defense - Big10 can still go Miami/GT/(an NC or VA school) as a 2nd to ND when they realize that ACC is not viable. So defense dilutes the SEC plus BIG still has some options.
* FSU is pissed at ESPN. Some do not want to be a 2nd to UF. Most like the appeal of National Conference.
* There is some chatter that NC State and UNC are tied at the hip. There are some skeptical on this.
* There is some chatter that Virginia Tech and UVA are tied at the hip. This one seems more likely which will impact if a Virginia team is taken. For example, if UNC is top SEC target, they might might skip VA and go with both NC schools.
* BIG and SEC not tag teaming. So it isn't like BIG takes UNC/UVA while SEC takes NCSt and VTech. SEC knows what BIG wants. SEC can play defense by going all in on UNC since they know BIG would not be too happy about NC State or Duke.

No one believes that this will occur post 2030. In other words, if FSU loses their legal battles, their worst case is waiting a few more years, but they will pay to leave prior to 2030.

If things continue the current trends, it appears....

SEC takes 2 schools UNC + UVA/NC State. There is a world where they take 4, but it dilutes them since it would just be to play defense or as a result of state politics requiring V-Tech or NCSt.

Big10 takes FSU + Miami with Clemson/UVA/NC school less likely unless somehow ND gives up on independence early. There is a world where Big10 takes 4, but the general consensus is that unless it is FSU, UNC, ND and a 4th, that the BIG will play it slow.
That’s a great synopsis
End of the day the ACC as we know it will not exist in 2-3 years

That’s a great synopsis
End of the day the ACC as we know it will not exist in 2-3 years
Seems to me that B1G would double up on FL schools (FSU, Miami) if they can't get UNC. Works for me as they followed that model with USC/UCLA for California. I honestly don't see the B1G seriously pursuing Clemson, GT, or UVA. It has to be FSU, UNC, Miami in that order. I wouldn't expand past 20 unless ND caves on independence.

Seems to me that B1G would double up on FL schools (FSU, Miami) if they can't get UNC. Works for me as they followed that model with USC/UCLA for California. I honestly don't see the B1G seriously pursuing Clemson, GT, or UVA. It has to be FSU, UNC, Miami in that order. I wouldn't expand past 20 unless ND caves on independence.
Haven’t heard anything about GT which is kind of surprising as they bring the Atlanta market, have great academics and a decent overall athletic dept

Reactions: bigmatt718
I could possibly see something like that if they can’t get a partner for FSU if and when the time comes. Same as Mizzou for A&M. Not the ideal choice but a good partner for A&M at the time and a new market.

Haven’t heard anything about GT which is kind of surprising as they bring the Atlanta market, have great academics and a decent overall athletic dept
Might be that there is no where in GA where GT is #1. Even in its own city. Does the BIG want to be a distant 2nd fiddle even if it is in a Major market?

Does Fox actually prefer Miami to GT? Do the Big3 care if Miami / GT / Clemson if UNC or ND aren't options?

I hope it is ND and FSU as 19-20.

Otherwise it might be FSU/Miami as 19-20 ......... with ND/(Clemson/GT/Standford/UVA) as 21-22 later.

I am sure the BIG will fight the SEC for UNC until signing day. So anything can happen.

Georgia Tech has 14 teams. Northwestern has lowest in B1G at 19

I’ve heard here 24 was the minimum?
According to their website NW has 19. Tech has 14, Tech doesn’t even have women's soccer which seems like it would be a hone run program since most of the top players seem to be high achievers in the classroom as well.

According to their website NW has 19. Tech has 14, Tech doesn’t even have women's soccer which seems like it would be a hone run program since most of the top players seem to be high achievers in the classroom as well.
I may have missed this in this lengthy thread but if the ACC does implode, as apparently is expected, I don't see any comment on where the new additions of Cal and Standford land???

I may have missed this in this lengthy thread but if the ACC does implode, as apparently is expected, I don't see any comment on where the new additions of Cal and Standford land???
Cal is shot - they’ll be in whatever is left of the league

Stanford is imagine at least had a chance for B1G as NDs partner, but guys like 95 and others, in the know could probably comment further

ACC playing games as usual

Will NJ AG Platkin send a similar request to B1G honchos, demanding the release of the B1G media deal contracts as Platkin’s Florida counterpart did with the ACC?

Would be helpful for Pat Hobbs and team to know the deal details. Pat is on record admitting, “I haven’t seen what the final numbers will look like from the conference.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT