ADVERTISEMENT

OT: B1G additions

For those wondering why the exit is coming soon, look no further

TJ has a great podcast "Double Fries, No Slaw," a reference to a place down there where you grab late night grub. Highly recommend

Also, how in the world does Wake have more viewers than VT? I would have thought Tech would have been top 5-6. Crazy thing is they have 25k boosters (nearly double that of FSU).

Reactions: BoogieKnight

TJ has a great podcast "Double Fries, No Slaw," a reference to a place down there where you grab late night grub. Highly recommend

Also, how in the world does Wake have more viewers than VT? I would have thought Tech would have been top 5-6. Crazy thing is they have 25k boosters (nearly double that of FSU).
I heard the numbers aren't 100% accurate since ACCNX ratings aren't included, so VT's numbers are way lower than they should be.

Do you have a multi year average? FSU played LSU, Florida and an extra game. Are you surprised they had the most viewers?

Florida State’s 45-24 win over LSU was the top-rated college football game on Sunday with more than nine million viewers on ABC.

those numbers will explode with them doing the rounds in the BIG

Reactions: BoogieKnight
I heard the numbers aren't 100% accurate since ACCNX ratings aren't included, so VT's numbers are way lower than they should be.
Yeah I was wondering how their #'s could be so low. Just doing the tale of the tape on historical success, decent season this year, undregrads, stadium size, brand, etc. vs. Wake... wasn't making sense

Do you have a multi year average? FSU played LSU, Florida and an extra game. Are you surprised they had the most viewers?

Florida State’s 45-24 win over LSU was the top-rated college football game on Sunday with more than nine million viewers on ABC.
I don't have that, just posted what TJ posted. Anytime they play SEC, UF, Miami and Clemson, the ratings are def going to be higher.

ACCG was lower rated than B1G champ game, not surprising as UM is a massive brand, B1G is better and more watched than ACC, J Trav wasn't playing and Louisville might have 10 fans combined

those numbers will explode with them doing the rounds in the BIG
That and the question begs to be asked why they're shrinking the stadium to the level they are. Current capacity is 79,500, down from 83,250 after the built the Champions Club.

New capacity expected to be mid-upper 60s (let's call it 68-69k) after the renovation. Assuming B1G, some of the larger traveling fan bases (Mich, Buckeye, Rutgers, Nitts, Iowa, Nebby, Sparty) will certainly help that.

Expected jump in ticket sales and students selling out their allotment will also help
Mid-upper 70's would be ideal IMO, but I'm not the one calling the shots, or privy to the information they are

That and the question begs to be asked why they're shrinking the stadium to the level they are. Current capacity is 79,500, down from 83,250 after the built the Champions Club.

New capacity expected to be mid-upper 60s (let's call it 68-69k) after the renovation. Assuming B1G, some of the larger traveling fan bases (Mich, Buckeye, Rutgers, Nitts, Iowa, Nebby, Sparty) will certainly help that.

Expected jump in ticket sales and students selling out their allotment will also help
Mid-upper 70's would be ideal IMO, but I'm not the one calling the shots, or privy to the information they are
I'd think they would expand and not contract. odd no?

The thought process is to make it an experience, with high end seating on the one side and multiple options for the endzone clubs

I get all that, but I'm not understanding decreasing capacity by 12k, especially in light of a pending conference move

Reactions: Leonard23

The thought process is to make it an experience, with high end seating on the one side and multiple options for the endzone clubs

I get all that, but I'm not understanding decreasing capacity by 12k, especially in light of a pending conference move
The trend everywhere (NFL, MLB, college) has been to reduce capacity and add more amenities and luxury/premium seating options to improve the overall game day experience and grow revenue: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/coll...eclining-gate-luxury-170425972-120925083.html, and https://www.athleticbusiness.com/fa...r-venues-realizing-the-benefits-of-downsizing. People need a reason to attend rather than stay on their couch watching on their big screen TV. They want bigger, more comfortable seats with chairbacks, social spaces like a party deck or beer garden, premium/quality food options, strong cell/WiFi service, good sound and videoboards. Nebraska is/was planning to cut 15K seats and reduce capacity from 90K to 75K: https://nebraskapublicmedia.org/en/...-to-mid-70000-while-enhancing-fan-experience/. It's happening everywhere, from college to the NFL, MLB

Here's a good article on the Bills new stadium proposal with reduced seating capacity and more amenities, including a standing-room-only party deck for 5K fans to socialize (we should do this too and had something much smaller like this on the west side near the press box): https://buffalonews.com/sports/bill...cle_98cf44be-68f2-11ec-a0d8-ef495b50e812.html. Unfortunately, this article is $ now but wasn't when we discussed this a while back in another thread.

Some other articles:

The trend everywhere (NFL, MLB, college) has been to reduce capacity and add more amenities and luxury/premium seating options to improve the overall game day experience and grow revenue: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/coll...eclining-gate-luxury-170425972-120925083.html, and https://www.athleticbusiness.com/fa...r-venues-realizing-the-benefits-of-downsizing. People need a reason to attend rather than stay on their couch watching on their big screen TV. They want bigger, more comfortable seats with chairbacks, social spaces like a party deck or beer garden, premium food options and quality, strong cell/WiFi service, good sound and videoboards. Nebraska is/was planning to cut 15K seats and reduce capacity from 90K to 75K: https://nebraskapublicmedia.org/en/...-to-mid-70000-while-enhancing-fan-experience/. It's happening everywhere, from college to the NFL, MLB

Here's a good article on the Bills new stadium proposal with reduced seating capacity and more amenities, including a standing-room-only party deck for 5K fans to socialize (we should do this too and had something much smaller like this on the west side near the press box): https://buffalonews.com/sports/bill...cle_98cf44be-68f2-11ec-a0d8-ef495b50e812.html. Unfortunately, this article is $ now but wasn't when we discussed this a while back in another thread.

Some other articles:

I get that, bc suites and boxes generate a ton of $$

But I think going below 70k, though good for supply & demand, is too low

Ideally, mid-upper 70s would be the move IMO

go 100k with BIG, FSU can support that
I wish they could brother, but upper 70's is about right

Tallahassee is extremely isolated
Flights to TLH are super expensive, and nothing direct except from CLT, ATL and Dallas

Closest major city is Jax, 2.5 hours away. Orlando and Tampa are each 4 hours, as it Atlanta
70 % of season ticket holders travel 150 + miles each way

Panhandle is still sparsely populated, and Tallahassee, though it does have its bougie areas w/the old money, isn't exactly Beverly Hills

Even during the Jameis years, season tix capped out around ~40k. Throw in 13k students, 5k visiting fans, that left ~20k to sell as individual tix

With B1G, you would see a spike initially in season ticket sales, as well as some visiting fans buying tix to see their teams play.

But unless the panhandle gets to Miami population status, it'll be hard to justify going much past 70s, as the demand simply isn't there, and now w/the advent of HDTV and people's game watching habits changing (pre and post covid), a lot of people prefer to watch the game at home.

I wake up at 1am to catch 5am flights out of EWR, connect in CLT, and land in TLH at 10:30. Around 2:15am on the way to EWR while it's pitch black and freezing, I often times question myself saying "why the hell am i doing this."

Once I get to EWR and have the first sip of Dunkin, things come back to reality and I realize b/c I love the school and team, and everything makes sense. But it's a hassle if you're not local to get to Tally - trust me, I wish it were cheaper and easier, I'd be there way more often!

They can’t sell out on their own. We still don’t sell out with B1G support. FSU will not be a place people travel to year in and year out. It sucks getting to
yep, after the first 1 or 2 times, novelty wears off and people aren't anxious to do it again. Major PITA to get to. Pricey, not a lot of flights, small airport. Hotels are ridiculous as well

Reactions: vkj91
Seen articles from Adelson, Thamel and Auerbach in the last week. More noise but giving the impression that legal action will occur. Sounds like their trying to get the ACC to find a reasonable number but if not they will take legal action. IMO, the legal action is when the rubber meets the road and elevates above just noise.

Last edited:
Team goes undefeated and snubbed by the playoff committee. It won't happen again with the 12 team format coming, but the entire ACC missed out on $ for that one. I'm sure FSU will use that somehow in their exit strategy.

Team goes undefeated and snubbed by the playoff committee. It won't happen again with the 12 team format coming, but the entire ACC missed out on $ for that one. I'm sure FSU will use that somehow in their exit strategy.
They'd be crazy not to

Apparently they're confident in breaking the GOR as BOT and attorney's have been there 1/2 times to review it
That, or they're willing to challenge it in court

Whatever the case, they cannot stay in the ACC if they hope to compete for titles and continuing being elite in football and other sports

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
They'd be crazy not to

Apparently they're confident in breaking the GOR as BOT and attorney's have been there 1/2 times to review it
That, or they're willing to challenge it in court

Whatever the case, they cannot stay in the ACC if they hope to compete for titles and continuing being elite in football and other sports
Until they challenge it legally it’s still bluster but I’ve read 1st qtr next year is what they’re aiming for and I feel like you may have said that as well. That would be substantive action and not just talk. We’ll see.

Any challenge though is supposed to be interpreted as an exit if it’s similar to the B12 GOR and supposedly it largely is. Basically even a whiff of trying to leave is leaving. We’ll see how that goes down as well.

Never put much stock into all of this until the PE news some months ago then I thought the light at the end of the tunnel doesn’t necessarily have to be a train but it still could be lol. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Until they challenge it legally it’s still bluster but I’ve read 1st qtr next year is what they’re aiming for and I feel like you may have said that as well. That would be substantive action and not just talk. We’ll see.

Any challenge though is supposed to be interpreted as an exit if it’s similar to the B12 GOR and supposedly it largely is. Basically even a whiff of trying to leave is leaving. We’ll see how that goes down as well.

Never put much stock into an ll of this until the PE news some months ago then I thought the light at the end of the tunnel doesn’t necessarily have to be a train but it still could be lol. Time will tell.
The January BOT meeting is where things were rumored to have gone down, this new one though tomorrow could expediate the process

All I know for sure is they need out ASAP.
The playoff disaster was the last straw.

And if there was any doubt amongst the powers that be and Boosters about where the right landing spot was before the playoff snub, there's no argument now

The January BOT meeting is where things were rumored to have gone down, this new one though tomorrow could expediate the process

All I know for sure is they need out ASAP.
The playoff disaster was the last straw.

And if there was any doubt amongst the powers that be and Boosters about where the right landing spot was before the playoff snub, there's no argument now
so where is the right landing spot ? and will the conference want them without taking another school ?

And Oregon does?
Or Miami (academics good, otherwise beyond corrupt) ?

It's about $$$
Oregon and Miami have at least some semblance of fitting the B1G culture. Clemson is Deep South on the level of an Ole Miss or LSU. Culture fit almost is as important as what they can offer athletics. They can go hat in hand to the SEC.

And Oregon does?
Or Miami (academics good, otherwise beyond corrupt) ?

It's about $$$
yeah I lump oregon with nebraska except, they've got the money and desire to be #1 plus the travel partner so it fits. they are aau which I find incredible

ND, UNC, FSU and after that, it's whoever fits the travel and network package that you can get past the Presidents

question becomes, do you miami or uva to fill the spot and who provides the most value (money, academics, long term stability) neither is a great get

yeah I lump oregon with nebraska except, they've got the money and desire to be #1 plus the travel partner so it fits. they are aau which I find incredible

ND, UNC, FSU and after that, it's whoever fits the travel and network package that you can get past the Presidents

question becomes, do you miami or uva to fill the spot and who provides the most value (money, academics, long term stability) neither is a great get
Do you think NC makes the jump with FSU?
I thought they were SEC bound with UVA

Do you think NC makes the jump with FSU?
I thought they were SEC bound with UVA
unc academia side will never allow sec vs big. uva is more sec centric than unc. when coach roberts was recruiting me and I was down there, it was not at all like a 'southern' school. He even told my mother that back in the later 80s. Then when I took my niece on her visit for softball, same thing. chapel hill, as a school, just never had that southern feel to me like uva does.

hell, uva is more 'southern' than miami, usc, and nc state i'd wager

uva offers va inroads but we get that with md and the largest dma is already BIG. You grab FSU, you grab a national brand in the heart of sec country with a ton of BIG alums in Florida and if you take unc, you just planted the flag on the carolina's premier program with a metric ton of yankees and alumni.

nd, fsu, unc and then it just doesn't matter as much

have to agree and we discussed this here.

FSU, if they believe that their brand is their future as they should, needs to leave and leave soon. BIG will make all the accomodations for them

now let's move to pods and get this going!

look what the nyc mkt did for miami and now imagine fsu coming up to play psu, RU, MD. wow

Oregon and Miami have at least some semblance of fitting the B1G culture. Clemson is Deep South on the level of an Ole Miss or LSU. Culture fit almost is as important as what they can offer athletics. They can go hat in hand to the SEC.
You’re focused on the wrong kind of culture. The culture that matters is football brand and in that most important area Clemson is a better fit than half the existing B1G.

ND isn’t a cultural fit in the way you describe either but they’d be taken in a fraction of a nanosecond.

You’re focused on the wrong kind of culture. The culture that matters is football brand and in that most important area Clemson is a better fit than half the existing B1G.

ND isn’t a cultural fit in the way you describe either but they’d be taken in a fraction of a nanosecond.
I usually agree with you but here, you are so far off base I'm afraid you're going to fall off the cliff:)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT